What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Stefon Diggs, HOU (1 Viewer)

I'm ready to buy into the hype..but is he worth rostering in a redraft over Tavon Austin, Marquess Wilson, or Ginn?
I dropped Austin to pick up Diggs with the Rams bye and having a short bench league where I'm hoarding 7 Rbs at the moment. FWIW I'd take Diggs over Ginn (I've just never believed in Teddy as a WR despite his recent succes) but would probably lean toward Wilson over Diggs at this point just based on playing with a QB more likely to sling it.

I'm into the hype on Diggs but may have to drop him and start Kamar Aiken this week, who is sitting out there for free.

I'm ready to buy into the hype..but is he worth rostering in a redraft over Tavon Austin, Marquess Wilson, or Ginn?
I think it depends on the rest of your roster, your league, etc . . ., but it is difficult to recommend Diggs over players with better defined roles, such as Ginn and Austin have.

Diggs is arguably more speculative than the other three, and I would contend he has the higher ceiling, even in redraft.

In dynasty, I think Diggs makes great sense, but the present state of Minnesota's offensive production is not ripe for WR fantasy points, and it is yet unclear what Diggs' role will be when the rest of the WR corps gets healthy.

I think it depends on the rest of your roster, your league, etc . . ., but it is difficult to recommend Diggs over players with better defined roles, such as Ginn and Austin have.

Diggs is arguably more speculative than the other three, and I would contend he has the higher ceiling, even in redraft.

In dynasty, I think Diggs makes great sense, but the present state of Minnesota's offensive production is not ripe for WR fantasy points, and it is yet unclear what Diggs' role will be when the rest of the WR corps gets healthy.
To me the choice is pretty easy for Diggs for me. I don't think many owners would be counting on any of those guys for more than a spot start, so I'd much rather have the potential of a guy who's flashing/emerging who could end up being a player that helps me win later this year.

I dropped Austin to pick up Diggs with the Rams bye and having a short bench league where I'm hoarding 7 Rbs at the moment. FWIW I'd take Diggs over Ginn (I've just never believed in Teddy as a WR despite his recent succes) but would probably lean toward Wilson over Diggs at this point just based on playing with a QB more likely to sling it.

I'm into the hype on Diggs but may have to drop him and start Kamar Aiken this week, who is sitting out there for free.
Thanks for the input. My WRs have been terrible this year and most have been injured. With the news that Steve Smith most likely won't play this week I just dropped Austin for Diggs. All aboard!

Would you pick him up over LaFell?
That's a tough call.. I guess if you think LaFell will return to the same amount of Targets as last season you'd have to pick him up, I'm not so sure about that with the emergence of Dion and also Gronk/Edelman he is likely the the 4th or 5th option in the passing game. I'm not confident in that though.

Charles Johnson (ribs) is listed as questionable for Week 6.
Although Johnson participated in practice all week, the Vikings consider him 50:50 to play Sunday against Kansas City. If Johnson is still less than full health, this could give the Vikings an excuse to play Stefon Diggs over him.

Mike Wallace (knee) is listed as probable for Week 6.
He's all systems go for Sunday's juicy matchup with Kansas City.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I like him better than Austin. And the other guys mentioned about. Dropping Austin for him in my dynasty league.

Just looking at where Diggs lined up on the plays where he was targeted.

1st target Diggs lines up outside to the right. Mike Wallace and Rhett Ellison are inside him with Theilen on the right. Before the snap Mike Wallace motions for Diggs to step back off of the LOS. The play is a screen to Diggs who cuts inside for the ball behind Ellison who blocks the nearest defender to Diggs outside while Mike Wallace blocks downfield. This is a play I have seen Jarius Wright run more effectively.

2nd target Diggs lines up outside to the left. Mike Wallace is inside him and Adam Theilen is in the slot. Wallace and Diggs run a scisors route that gets Diggs open on the post. Theilen runs a go route clearing the post. Rudolph was on the other side and chips Miller before going out on his route.

3rd target looks similar to the first except Diggs is playing X by himself on the left side with Theilen outside on the right with Wallace and Rudolph in the slot. Theilen fakes the screen and Wallace goes deep. Rudolph runs a route over the middle. Diggs runs a quick slant and go. The outside corner plays off coverage to the outside. The safety shows blitz before the snap but then drops into a zone on the flat covering the slant route. Bridgewater is under pressure and is being hit as he throws. Teddy uses the momentum of being tackled from behind by Miller to get the throw off, amazing play on his part, the ball is short as Diggs has the corner beaten down the seam as he is still playing outside, Diggs is looking back for the ball and is able to come back to the short throw because of it.

4th target Ellison and FB Zach Line are on the right, Teddy is in the pistol Peterson to his left. Line motions into the backfield behind Ellison before the snap. Theilen in the slot to the left with Diggs outside to the left. The corner is playing off coverage and Diggs fakes that he is going deep briefly before coming back for the WR screen. He fails to make the catch that was on target and hit him in the hands. There were many big players wearing orange around this play and not likely to be successful unless Diggs could take the ball back outside.

5th target Diggs is outside to the left with Wallace in the slot beside him. Theilen is outside to the right with Rudolph in the slot. Wallace runs a post route across the middle. Diggs uses a arm over move to get off the jam he gets from the corner and gets behind him. Diggs has the corner beat but the safety sees it. Teddy throws a bit short and high, perhaps because of the safety? Diggs jumps up to catch the high pass (something Teddy has done quite a bit this year is throw too high) for another big catch. Teddy was able to step into this throw, so I think that is exactly where he wanted the ball to be. He did have to get the ball over the cornerback who was trailing behind Diggs and not let the safety be able to get involved until after the catch. Diggs does fumble the ball as the safety hits it as Diggs is going to the ground. The ball never gets far away from Diggs and he gets it back, not sure if he was down at the point the ball comes loose or not.

6th target 3 WR to the right with Diggs by himself on the left. The corner is playing press and Diggs runs a quick slant route. Teddy puts the ball right on him but it bounces off. The corner is right on Diggs and perhaps grabs one of his arms as the ball is getting there, but a very catchable pass.

7th target 2WR on the left side Diggs in the slot to the left with Peterson outside him. Theilen outside to the right with Wallace in the slot and Rudolph playing inside. Peterson sets up for a quick pass to the outside while Diggs runs a corner route. Diggs gets thrown off his route a bit with a jam and Bridgewater throws this one outside so not sure if it was catchable. I actually like Peterson's chances one on one against the safety who came out to cover him.

8th target the Vikings are playing 2WR to the right Wallace and Theilen with Rudolph inside them, Asiata in the backfield and Diggs by himself on the left. All of the receivers are lining up in tight. Diggs gets a jam early on in this corner route. The safety is there to help and Diggs's route is off because of the jam. Teddy throws this one outside and Diggs never gets to that spot before the ball goes out of play.

9th target Diggs is outside to the left with Theilen playing in the slot left. Wallace is outside to the right with Rudolph playing inline. Peterson to the right as well. The corner is playing off coverage so Diggs runs a 5 yard come back route that he catches pretty easily. As Diggs is trying to make a move on the defender he pokes the ball out causing Diggs's second fumble. Diggs is again able to recover the ball.

10th target Diggs is playing outside to the right with Theilen playing the slot right. Patterson is the outside WR on the left with Rudolph inside on the left. Diggs gives the corner a head fake inside that he bites on then runs an out route getting wide open for perhaps his best play of the game.

After looking at these plays and where Diggs is lining up, he is rarely playing the slot receiver which is more Wrights role. Most of his successful plays come not from the screen passes, but passes where Diggs is able to beat his man with a good route and Teddy finding him open.

So I do not see Wright as taking much away from Diggs in terms of targets against KC. Wright being back will hurt Theilens opportunity more I think as he often was lining up in the slot.

Charles Johnson is questionable while Wallace and Wright are listed as probable.

Last time I saw a post like that, it was me doing one on this kid named Antonio Brown right before he broke out. Nice.

Love his long term outlook, but it's not a good situation. Run first team & below average QB. He's definitely going to have an opportunity after that last game. Think I'll wait & see for another week on this to see how this shakes out with everyone sorta healthy.

Love his long term outlook, but it's not a good situation. Run first team & below average QB. He's definitely going to have an opportunity after that last game. Think I'll wait & see for another week on this to see how this shakes out with everyone sorta healthy.
I like to be a week ahead. I think it's pretty clear he is starting this week and if he gets 10 targets or so I don't think he'll be free next week.

They are absolutely a run first team, but there are no target hogs in the passing game. So I think he has a chance for a big chunk of the relatively smaller pie. Teddy is at least an average QB, and will not be a hindrance to a WR if he is good.

I'm excited for Sunday!

I like to be a week ahead. I think it's pretty clear he is starting this week and if he gets 10 targets or so I don't think he'll be free next week. They are absolutely a run first team, but there are no target hogs in the passing game. So I think he has a chance for a big chunk of the relatively smaller pie. Teddy is at least an average QB, and will not be a hindrance to a WR if he is good.

I'm excited for Sunday!
i"I think it's pretty clear he is starting this week"

Is it? Please tell me what info you know BC I would LOVE to feel more certain that he is starting. I've heard nothing to say that Charles Johnson is officially out this week and that diggs will start.

I like to be a week ahead. I think it's pretty clear he is starting this week and if he gets 10 targets or so I don't think he'll be free next week. They are absolutely a run first team, but there are no target hogs in the passing game. So I think he has a chance for a big chunk of the relatively smaller pie. Teddy is at least an average QB, and will not be a hindrance to a WR if he is good.

I'm excited for Sunday!
i"I think it's pretty clear he is starting this week"

Is it? Please tell me what info you know BC I would LOVE to feel more certain that he is starting. I've heard nothing to say that Charles Johnson is officially out this week and that diggs will start.
Sorry I do not know for sure.

But it is pretty clear to me by reading the tea leaves.. Norv said he'd be at X and there have been no positive developments with Charles Johnson other than wait and see. The (Q) tag is supposed to mean a 50/50 chance of playing, so Diggs has at least a 50% chance even if you think he'd take a back seat behind Charles Johnson which I don't believe.

To me the likeliest of scenarios is that Charles Johnson sits. The likeliest of scenarios if CJ does suit up is that he is mixed in based on both of their performance to date.

I'm expecting MIN WR snap rates to reach MIA levels of cluster#### this week. The difference is Philbin believed Tanny to be Brady and let him chuck it up 45 times a game which helped offset scattered snap rates. Teddy on the other hand is averaging 29 pass attempts per game..the pie is soo small.

I'm expecting MIN WR snap rates to reach MIA levels of cluster#### this week. The difference is Philbin believed Tanny to be Brady and let him chuck it up 45 times a game which helped offset scattered snap rates. Teddy on the other hand is averaging 29 pass attempts per game..the pie is soo small.
I'm not so sure about this, MIA has much more talent in the passing game.

Average Targets per game in 2015

ADP: 2.75

Rudolph: 5.75

Wallace: 6

Wright: 3

CPatt: 0.67

This equals about 18 targets. Teddy is averaging 28.75 passing attempts per game, which leaves about 10 targets for Diggs/CJ/Thielan(who's a non factor IMO) and other random players. If CJ sits this week and Diggs seizes the job, not a guarantee or a strech, he figures to have a 7-10 targets per game.

If he does get 7-10 targets per game at 15 ypr (small sample but avging 16ypr right now) with a catch rate of 65% that equals about 11-16 FP in PPR or 6-10 FP in non PPR- without any TD consideration, though I don't expect him to score that many. I'll take that kind of production from a young guy with a high ceiling.

I've got odb and trying to hold onto diggs with my last roster spot. But I'm worried odb won't play and I feel the need to p/u Dwayne Harris off the wire as insurance. I feel like diggs has an opportunity to seize a prominent role in the bikes passing game rt now and don't want to pass up on him. I could also drop spiller I suppose.

I'm excited for Sunday!
I agree with this. Being a week ahead helps with FA budgeting... The difference between $2 and $15-20 if he has a breakout

I'm excited for Sunday!
I agree with this. Being a week ahead helps with FA budgeting... The difference between $2 and $15-20 if he has a breakout
Especially in yahoo and leagues where you are allowed to drop players after their games. I always hold out for one of the late game kickers or do not add one at all if I'm safely beating opponents by end of 7:00am games.

That's fine in redraft but in dynasty you usually have to jump quickly or somebody else will.

That's fine in redraft but in dynasty you usually have to jump quickly or somebody else will.
I will second this. Lot of intriguing names on the waiver wire this past week. Diggs by far was the lowest rated for week 6. But if you set your waiver priority according to redraft rankings you miss out on potential studs. Upside for me is much better than getting the best bye week filler.

I'm not so sure about this, MIA has much more talent in the passing game.

Average Targets per game in 2015

ADP: 2.75

Rudolph: 5.75

Wallace: 6

Wright: 3

CPatt: 0.67

This equals about 18 targets. Teddy is averaging 28.75 passing attempts per game, which leaves about 10 targets for Diggs/CJ/Thielan(who's a non factor IMO) and other random players. If CJ sits this week and Diggs seizes the job, not a guarantee or a strech, he figures to have a 7-10 targets per game.

If he does get 7-10 targets per game at 15 ypr (small sample but avging 16ypr right now) with a catch rate of 65% that equals about 11-16 FP in PPR or 6-10 FP in non PPR- without any TD consideration, though I don't expect him to score that many. I'll take that kind of production from a young guy with a high ceiling.
This is essentially how it broke down last week, as Teddy attempted 26 passes but the sample size is so tiny. I wasn't referencing targets though, I'm more concerned with how much he'll actually see the field which is why I compared it to the MIA situation (at one point 5 different MIA WRs saw 50%+ offense snaps). Zimmer did say he'd go into this week's game with all 6 WRs active if they're all healthy. Keep in mind, Diggs did see 10 targets on 56% of MIN's offensive snaps in week 4 but I'm not sure that's sustainable plus we don't know how this situation shakes out when everyone is healthy.

I'm all for taking the wait and see approach though, especially since I have him rostered in a WR skewed keeper league. There's definitely some chance he just overtakes CJ completely and sees legit play time/usage going forward.

The Vikings haven't had 6 WR active yet this season. Diggs was the odd man out up until week 4 Charles Johnson is the most injured right now so to me the most reasonable player to sit for this game so he can get fully healthy. Others have speculated that Patterson could be the healthy scratch if Johnson is ready to go. This seems unlikely because then the Vikings would have to use Diggs or Sherels as the kick returner. Which those players are certainly capable according to the ST coach but I think they still want to have Patterson returning kicks in this game.

Pass attempts have certainly been low as the Vikings offense has been a bit Jekel and Hyde with the running game coming mostly out of I formation with some TE and some times a FB in or shogun spread with Teddy having 3 to 5 receiving options. The two offenses haven't really gelled together into one offense yet. Something they presumably have been working on over the bye week.

If Johnson is active then I would assume that he will play at least a bit. If he cannot play more than Wright did (1 offensive snap) in week 4 I think the roster spot is too valuable to waste having him active. They are just trying to keep KC from having full information about what the Vikings will do.

Over 4 games the Vikings have averaged 59.75 plays/game and including sacks they have thrown 53% of the time so very close to a 50/50 split of run to pass plays thus far.

NT Dontari Poe is out which should help the Vikings block for the running game. I have no question that the Vikings will try to get that going, likely with some play action shots out of the same looks.

KC defense is weaker against the pass than they are against the run. So this may lead the Vikings to try to take advantage of this difference and throw the ball a bit more. I think that increases the potenital pie from what one might expect from Bridgewater and the passing offense on average thus far.

They use quite a bit of man coverage and Sean Smith can be beaten over the top, so I would expect the Vikings to try some shots at him with Wallace or possibly other WR matched up on him.

I agree the prudent course of action would be to wait and see what Diggs does with this opportunity before considering starting him. However I do see a lot of things lining up in his favor that could make Diggs a nice play this week.

Biabreakable said:
The Vikings haven't had 6 WR active yet this season. Diggs was the odd man out up until week 4 Charles Johnson is the most injured right now so to me the most reasonable player to sit for this game so he can get fully healthy. Others have speculated that Patterson could be the healthy scratch if Johnson is ready to go. This seems unlikely because then the Vikings would have to use Diggs or Sherels as the kick returner. Which those players are certainly capable according to the ST coach but I think they still want to have Patterson returning kicks in this game.

Pass attempts have certainly been low as the Vikings offense has been a bit Jekel and Hyde with the running game coming mostly out of I formation with some TE and some times a FB in or shogun spread with Teddy having 3 to 5 receiving options. The two offenses haven't really gelled together into one offense yet. Something they presumably have been working on over the bye week.

If Johnson is active then I would assume that he will play at least a bit. If he cannot play more than Wright did (1 offensive snap) in week 4 I think the roster spot is too valuable to waste having him active. They are just trying to keep KC from having full information about what the Vikings will do.

Over 4 games the Vikings have averaged 59.75 plays/game and including sacks they have thrown 53% of the time so very close to a 50/50 split of run to pass plays thus far.

NT Dontari Poe is out which should help the Vikings block for the running game. I have no question that the Vikings will try to get that going, likely with some play action shots out of the same looks.

KC defense is weaker against the pass than they are against the run. So this may lead the Vikings to try to take advantage of this difference and throw the ball a bit more. I think that increases the potenital pie from what one might expect from Bridgewater and the passing offense on average thus far.

They use quite a bit of man coverage and Sean Smith can be beaten over the top, so I would expect the Vikings to try some shots at him with Wallace or possibly other WR matched up on him.

I agree the prudent course of action would be to wait and see what Diggs does with this opportunity before considering starting him. However I do see a lot of things lining up in his favor that could make Diggs a nice play this week.
I'm rolling with his this week as my WR3 over Watkins and Ty Montgomery. Unless of course someone talks me out of it...

Tempted to start him over John Brown and Ginn. Not sure if I can pull the trigger yet though. If Charles Johnson is out then it's a no brainer.

Diggs is intriguing, especially against a KC defense that has gotten shredded by WRs pretty much every week, but remember that Teddy Bridgewater is his QB.

All aboard. Starting him over....the rest of the WW typicals (ginn, etc). I dropped Badshaw for him in essentially a non ppr league

All aboard. Starting him over....the rest of the WW typicals (ginn, etc). I dropped Badshaw for him in essentially a non ppr league
Yep. Lol. Exact same thing here. Dropped Bradshaw for him and going with my gut and starting him over hillman, r. Matthews, and ginn

I still bugs me that he only played on 56% of the snaps when Charles sat last week. I would hope that bumps up to 75%+ today but I have no idea.

I have to choose between Diggs and Martavis Bryant. Oof.
Same scenario here ssnd. Flip flopping. Bryant and Vick seem to have a rapport. Diggs going up the worst pass d in football. Vikes will only pass heavily if they are behind though. What are the chances that the game script goes that way vs kc today? If it's a tight game I see a lot of Peterson and I can envisions diggs going like 5-50.

Bryant otoh is entering a game script that could be playing from behind all game long vs a potent offense. I have visions of Vick throwing several deep bombs his way and connecting on a few.

I think I just talked myself into Bryant. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread