What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Would Ronda Rousey kick your ###? (1 Viewer)

Would Ronda Rousey kick your ###?

• No way, wouldn't even be close. She would be on life support rather quickly.

Votes: 17 3.7%
  • No. She would last a bit with me, get in a few good punches but she would lose.

Votes: 23 4.9%
  • It would be close. Probably a lot of grappling and it would go to a judges decision.

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Yes, she would beat me but I would give her a pretty good fight for a couple RD before I submit to s

Votes: 40 8.6%
  • Yes, she would beat the living crap out of me.

Votes: 382 82.2%

• Total voters
She won her first 12 fights.

11 of the 12 fights finished in the first round.  8 of the 11 finished in under a minute.  All 12 fights ended in submission or knockout.

It is not that hard to understand the praise at the point.   Obviously it has changed after her last 2 fights.
She dominated cupcakes. She's a fraud.

If you just plain flat-earth sum'n, you down to be sillified for it. Women achieving physical superiority to men trained in the same pursuit is flat-earthing.
Yeah, but that wasn't really the argument for most people, outside of a few doofuses. The question was primarily a world class female vs a male with zero / minimal training in a given discipline, which is a much more interesting discussion. Boxing =/= MMA.

We've obviously learned since that Rousey isn't really world class in MMA, but I'd bet that she could whip Floyd's a$$ in a straight judo match.

Last edited by a moderator:
She dominated cupcakes. She's a fraud.
Meisha was a good fighter IMO and eventually won the title for herself.  Ronda can not be blamed for fighting each of the top contenders at the time they were put in front of her.  I don't remember her ducking anyone at her weight class.  

The competition in general just sucked as you said and the UFC took every advantage they could to build her up more than she deserved imo.

Yeah, but that wasn't really the argument for most people, outside of a few doofuses. The question was primarily a world class female vs a male with zero / minimal training in a given discipline, which is a much more interesting discussion. Boxing =/= MMA.

We've obviously learned since that Rousey isn't really world class in MMA, but I'd bet that she could whip Floyd's a$$ in a straight judo match.
This is moving the goalposts, this wasn't the discussion for almost 30 pages here and prob another 20 in the MMA thread. The judo comparison is as relevant as comparing how far Tom Brady can throw a football to Hope Solo kick a soccer ball.

Most posters here bought what was being sold - an elite female MMA fighter could beat a male MMA fighter, we should put this one to bed. Anyone who wants to argue an elite MMA female could beat a male professional boxer is smoking some amazing #### too.

:lmao:

The Floyd / Rousey argument can be dropped. 

It was argued endlessly by numerous posters on this board, I would be excited to see who doubles down at this point.

@NotSmart @The Commish appeared to both vote for Rousey today, I'd assume a fishing trip with that.
You'd assume correct...it's such a stupid set of questions to begin with I figured why not??  

ETA:  And the new question is even worse :lol:  

Yeah I agree, against an average sized untrained dude in a bar, she'd do great, and if that was all the conversation had been before the Holm fight it'd have been legit. But you had people like Rogan claiming she could beat half the male roster at 135 and calling her the pound for pound best overall.

I doubt Ronda could dominate a world class smaller male athlete like Floyd even in a straight judo match (not to say she wouldn't have some success), and a big athletic guy like a typical NFL linebacker would break her in half. Any male UFC fighter at any weight would've KOed her in a round.

This is moving the goalposts, this wasn't the discussion for almost 30 pages here and prob another 20 in the MMA thread. The judo comparison is as relevant as comparing how far Tom Brady can throw a football to Hope Solo kick a soccer ball.

Most posters here bought what was being sold - an elite female MMA fighter could beat a male MMA fighter, we should put this one to bed. Anyone who wants to argue an elite MMA female could beat a male professional boxer is smoking some amazing #### too.
Yeah, I'm not going to read back 20+ pages to quibble about who was arguing what, but I have a different recollection of the discussion.

I agree that a trained male will beat a trained female 99% of the time. Anyone saying Rousey > male MMA fighter was obviously being foolish. But I'd still say she's whoop a random completely untrained dude from this forum, which was the question posed in this thread.

And boxing =/= MMA, so those are discussions still worth having IMO. I'm strongly confident a similarly sized male UFC fighter could take Floyd in the cage, just like any decent pro boxer would whip a world class MMA guy in a boxing match.

Obviously throwing women into the mix changes the equation completely, but not so much that any completely untrained dude from behind a desk somewhere could whip an elite female fighter.

Yeah, I'm not going to read back 20+ pages to quibble about who was arguing what, but I have a different recollection of the discussion.
 I actually have a solid recollection of this thread, the reason I bumped it too. This was 25+ pages of people comparing Rousey to Rambo. 

If you don't want to quibble about that, this isn't the place to be. 

& you can move your 99% number to 100%.

McGarnicle said:
You should print it all out so you can take it to the men's room and jack off.
Some Trump material up on the left, you can read it and put some holes in your wall if you'd like.

She won her first 12 fights.

11 of the 12 fights finished in the first round.  8 of the 11 finished in under a minute.  All 12 fights ended in submission or knockout.

It is not that hard to understand the praise at the point.   Obviously it has changed after her last 2 fights.
But only 6 in ufc, right?  Not that many fights to proclaim the goat etc 

Women's MMA is kind of like frisbee golf or horseshoes imo. The "world champ" is the best of a limited number of people who ever bothered to get involved in the sport. Go to any crowded chain restaurant on a Saturday night, find a hungry & annoyed pig-faced woman waiting for a table. She could probably destroy Rousey with 6-12 months of training.

Women's MMA is kind of like frisbee golf or horseshoes imo. The "world champ" is the best of a limited number of people who ever bothered to get involved in the sport. Go to any crowded chain restaurant on a Saturday night, find a hungry & annoyed pig-faced woman waiting for a table. She could probably destroy Rousey with 6-12 months of training.
I was thinking this. If you ever watch a street fight, one might come away with the same thought. They're not tactically sound, but there are some bad-### women out there that I just would not mess with.  I'm not sure that  -- from some of the female brawls I've seen -- that she'd necessarily win if they trained some of the women properly. 

That said, the thread about Artest/Watt/Mayweather, etc. was some of the biggest tomfoolery this board has ever seen.  They'd basically just reach out and choke her out in ten seconds. She's 5'7", 135. That's a joke for these guys. They wouldn't even report her for domestic abuse -- they'd just palm her forehead.  

eta* That last part is obviously hyperbolic.  

But only 6 in ufc, right?  Not that many fights to proclaim the goat etc 
She was the very first female fighter ever signed by the UFC.  I am unsure how many fights you expected her to have in the UFC...

Before the UFC started a women's division, Strike Force was the #1 women's MMA company, and she was the champion there as well.

She was the very first female fighter ever signed by the UFC.  I am unsure how many fights you expected her to have in the UFC...

Before the UFC started a women's division, Strike Force was the #1 women's MMA company, and she was the champion there as well.
I am saying 12 total professional fights is not that much. And certainly nothing to start claiming somebody is the baddest person on the planet male or female.  And saying how she was the first female ufc fighter just makes me think her first 6 fights were cupcakes. It is now looking like she never knew how to handle any type of boxing?

I am saying 12 total professional fights is not that much. And certainly nothing to start claiming somebody is the baddest person on the planet male or female.  And saying how she was the first female ufc fighter just makes me think her first 6 fights were cupcakes. It is now looking like she never knew how to handle any type of boxing?

[–]FractalJaguar 2925 points 1 year ago 

It is easy to like a dominant fighter, and Ronda Rousey used her Olympic level judo to beat all of her opponents to great effect. The statistics speak for themselves. She won her first three amateur fights by armbar in the first round. Then she proceeded to win her first seven professional fights in the exact same fashion; an armbar in the first round. I haven't checked, but I'm 99.99% sure that no other fighter has dominated in such a way (same technique, same round).

Then she fought Miesha Tate for the second time, who managed to make it to the third round with Ronda, but still lost by armbar. Her next four fights she won in the first round with a variety of finishes (KO (punches), another armbar, KO (punch), and a knee to the body).

She was always a rather fierce character, as you might expect from an elite fighter. She didn't mince words, she was outspoken, brash, etc. And all this time, she was really paving the way for women in MMA. She was a big draw. I for one, as a former judoka, loved seeing such high level judo in MMA. It was awesome to watch.

Now to the casual observer, this is amazing to watch and read about. A fighter, dominating in such a way, with 75% of her victories with an armbar and 92% of them in the first round. That kind of prowess attracts attention in any sport.

And thus a hype machine was born. The UFC promoted her more than almost any other fighter at the time. Due to being paid proportionally to how much money she brought in to the UFC (revenue at the gate and in PPV buys), she was the highest paid fighter in the UFC. She was a Big Deal.

But to the more hardcore fans, such as those of us in /r/mma, there were aspects that went largely unnoticed. Chief amongst them: her division (bantamweight) was weak. The combined record of her opponents at one point was something like 1-7. Most champions will fight fighters coming off a winning streak, with mostly wins on their record. But there simply weren't (and still aren't) many female mixed martial artists at a high level at the time. Rousey was an Olympian, with a strong work ethic and a desire to win, and she climbed to the top, but arguably it was a relatively shallow climb.

As for why she is facing such a backlash now, in the last year or two she was getting extremely arrogant. All elite fighters have confidence in spades and the mental aspect of combat sports is paramount. You have to believe you're going to win. But there is a very fine line between confidence and arrogance, and Rousey went deep into arrogance. She got too big for her boots, was apparently surrounded by yes men, was told that she had 'elite boxing skills' to go along with her judo... people got swept up in the hype around her and I think she did too. She was in movies, countless interviews on television, etc etc... it must be hard not to let all of that get to you.

So by the time she fought Holly Holm, she was saying things like "I believe I can beat anyone in my division with one hand". Arrogance. And yes, you can argue she's just talking smack and trying to hype the fight to get more buys... but personally, I don't think so. I think she got swept up in the hype. Being told your boxing skills are elite when you're about to fight perhaps the best female boxer ever..! Some of the video footage of her shadow boxing in particular drew great criticism. On the pads she looked a bit sharper and faster, but in the Octagon it was never crisp and clean. Her win against Bethe Correia (supposedly a hard hitter who frequently won by punches), was essentially just her charging Correia down, eating a few punches, pinning her to the cage wall, and overwhelming her. There was no finesse, no head movement, no neat footwork or evasion. Bethe wasn't actually a hard hitter, and Ronda just ate those punches, apparently because she wanted to prove that she wasn't just a one trick pony. Not exactly champion level tactics.

I don't think people 'hated her all along'. I for one liked watching her fight at the start. But as her personality started to show and her arrogance grew, it was harder and harder to like her. It was also hard to hear people talk about her like she was some kind of god, when under the surface you could see that she wasn't as great as she was being made out to be. And it was oh so satisfying to see such a masterful fighter like Holm dominate her completely and knock her out in such a spectacular fashion, ending her reign and proving just that.

TL;DR everyone loves to see arrogance fall off their high horse.

I am saying 12 total professional fights is not that much. 
Agreed but women's MMA has not been around very long.  Complain about her skills as much as you want, but complaining about the amount of her professional fights seems odd to me given the relative recent nature of women's MMA.

You were called out of work this morning to the nearest octagon.

You have no time to train. The MMA rules are explained to you minutes before the fight.

You have 3RDS at 5 min each RD.

This would be a private fight. You would not have to worry about it leaking that you KO'd a woman on video or that you got your chit pushed in by a chick.

Would Ronda kick your ###?
If it were just straight up boxing I'd like my chances more.

No training against an elite MMA athlete?  No bueno

I love Joe Rogan, but it was pretty hilarious to hear him call Rousey "a legend in Sports" before her dismantling. She's 12-2 in a sport no one really follows. Legend, lol. (I do understand it's his job to hype her and the sport)

She certainly looked arrogant walking in to that ring, rocking her "Yeah I lost that one time but now I'm gonna make the world pay for it" look before getting knocked out again.

I've seen Rocky block more punches than she did the other night.

So when an old thread shows up and I've posted in it but can't remember what I was interested in, I'll comb back through the thread to see what was going on at that time.

:mellow:

Holy crap it seems like people really, really hate me around here.

I'm honestly trying to improve myself, be less judgemental and less arrogant.  I guess I have a lot of work to do.  Sorry all for old Jayrod being such a jagoff.  Probably hanging around here less and less is simply a better thing for all.

So when an old thread shows up and I've posted in it but can't remember what I was interested in, I'll comb back through the thread to see what was going on at that time.

I'm honestly trying to improve myself, be less judgemental and less arrogant.  I guess I have a lot of work to do.  Sorry all for old Jayrod being such a jagoff.  Probably hanging around here less and less is simply a better thing for all.
I've always enjoyed your posting :shrug:

Jayrod said:

stay strong, black man ;-)

Jayrod said:

I think most hate stems from your hypothetical treatment of dogs.

Users who are viewing this thread