What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I love Waze! (1 Viewer)

shadyridr

Footballguy
NJ turnpike shutdown today. Waze found me a way home I never went before and got me home in just over an hour.

I've never found it to beat my knowledge of the local traffic unless there's an accident.

Not sure how they do it but google maps now uses waze reports.

The last upgrade has been money

Yeah, I just use maps and it seems to know I guess via crowdsourcing that there's traffic ahead and it tells me to take an alternate route.

Just recently started using it, love it except for the car on shoulder notifications. If you're on a long road trip, you'll pass about 100 cars stopped on the shoulder. Who gives a rat's ###? That gets really annoying. I do appreciate the cop notifications though.

Just recently started using it, love it except for the car on shoulder notifications. If you're on a long road trip, you'll pass about 100 cars stopped on the shoulder. Who gives a rat's ###? That gets really annoying. I do appreciate the cop notifications though.
Because it's common courtesy to move over from the lane near the stopped car so you're not buzzing a guy changing his tire at 80 MPH. Pay attention and move over.

Because it's common courtesy to move over from the lane near the stopped car so you're not buzzing a guy changing his tire at 80 MPH. Pay attention and move over.
That's the thing, I don't need an app to tell me that. And on a long trip, I'm in the left lane most of the time and 99% of the notifications are for abandoned cars in the right shoulder. I don't understand why people report those in the first place, and then you see 8 thumbs up which are people saying yep, I saw it too. Just seems pointless and stupid. You should be able to turn off certain notifications.

That's the thing, I don't need an app to tell me that. And on a long trip, I'm in the left lane most of the time and 99% of the notifications are for abandoned cars in the right shoulder. I don't understand why people report those in the first place, and then you see 8 thumbs up which are people saying yep, I saw it too. Just seems pointless and stupid. You should be able to turn off certain notifications.
there's a setting that will only alert you to cops and red light cameras.

Also, I don't really want to brag, but I kinda feel like you should all know that I am a Waze Knight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dammit, I looked everywhere for that. Guess I'll try again.

It is really unintuitive where they put it. You can't get to it from anywhere within settings that I can find. You have to use what looks to me to be an icon for mute or unmute.

right here. Gives you "sound off / sound on / alerts only" choices.

It is really unintuitive where they put it. You can't get to it from anywhere within settings that I can find. You have to use what looks to me to be an icon for mute or unmute.right here. Gives you "sound off / sound on / alerts only" choices.
I still want cop alerts though.

Hate the fact that you can't direct it to avoid certain roads.

I was driving through Connecticut a couple of months ago returning a U-Haul truck for my nephew after they moved. Waze kept trying to put me on the Merritt Parkway, even though commercial vehicles are banned. Every exit I passed on 95.

Likewise, when I was in California last month, we needed to avoid a toll road because we were in a rental and didn't have an EZ Pass (or whatever it's called out there) transponder.

They need to do something about that.

NJ turnpike shutdown today. Waze found me a way home I never went before and got me home in just over an hour.
how long does it usually take?

My trip is usually an hour.

Google maps got me home in about an hour and 20 minutes which I thought was pretty good.

-QG

Real talk - the turnpike accident happened today b/c a semi moved over suddenly from the right to middle lanes as a cop had pulled someone over on the right shoulder. The truck moved over to comply with NJ's move over law regarding safety vehicles (the other choice was slow down). Well in the process he cut off the dump truck, dump truck driver slammed on the breaks, lost control and hit the abutment - he didn't make it :( . Dunno if Waze app use would have mattered for the truck but I can understand why they report it.

how long does it usually take?My trip is usually an hour.

Google maps got me home in about an hour and 20 minutes which I thought was pretty good.

-QG
the entire turnpike was shutdown south of exit 14. Would've taken me 3 hours and even if i went to the Parkway from 280 it would've been bad too. Waze found me some back roads way that took me an hour+

Last week i used Waze to goto work every morning and it took me 3 different ways. I love how it always chooses the quickest way

Biggest issue with Waze are the morons driving while posting updates on Waze
:goodposting: Maybe Im using it wrong, but Waze never gives me an option of what route to take at the beginning of my trip and I can't find the preview (or whatever it's called) to see the route before I start. I've never had it redirect me to a better route after starting either.

:goodposting: Maybe Im using it wrong, but Waze never gives me an option of what route to take at the beginning of my trip and I can't find the preview (or whatever it's called) to see the route before I start. I've never had it redirect me to a better route after starting either.
i just use route it gives me. It automatically gives you the quickest route. And it had redirected mid route on a few occasions but it's rare because it gives you the quickest route right off the bat so usually no reason to redirect.

When you enter your destination, there is a Routes button bottom left of screen just next to the Go button.

I tried Waze, but I've always felt more comfortable with an Inrix type view where I can just see my route on a map, and if I see traffic, I already know most of the good ways around.

I wish Google Maps would open and stay zoomed on the view I want, because I think their traffic color coding is more accurate than Inrix b/c of the Waze functionality, but it seems like every time I open it, it auto-centers on me. I don't want to see the 1 mile radius around me. I want to see where I'm headed.

Waze is great, but I don't use it that much anymore. Ever since Google Now started providing traffic updates I am usually aware of an accident on my route before I leave.

Combined with a radar/laser system, Waze is $$$ at helping me avoid speeding tickets.

Waze is great, but I don't use it that much anymore. Ever since Google Now started providing traffic updates I am usually aware of an accident on my route before I leave.
Oh so you're still using Waze but just don't know it.

Users who are viewing this thread