What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Planning a trip to Japan (1 Viewer)

wazoo11

Footballguy
Help - don't know where to start! What to do a two week stay by myself in Japan at the end of this year as a solo male. What's the best way to go about finding an agency and guide that can help me organise this?

First, you may want to invest in a Japan Rail Pass, which will get you access to JR Rail system including their buses. This includes most of the high speed rail system, and will allow you to get most anywhere in Japan and gets you close to anywhere you want to go in Tokyo. About $230 for a 7-day pass, and a little under $400 for a 14-day pass at current exchange rates. Buy you must purchase prior to your trip.

I would spend a good share of time in Tokyo (4-5 days) and also hit Kyoto (2 days). I will post more later. But am busy.

First, you may want to invest in a Japan Rail Pass, which will get you access to JR Rail system including their buses. This includes most of the high speed rail system, and will allow you to get most anywhere in Japan and gets you close to anywhere you want to go in Tokyo. About $230 for a 7-day pass, and a little under $400 for a 14-day pass at current exchange rates. Buy you must purchase prior to your trip.

I would spend a good share of time in Tokyo (4-5 days) and also hit Kyoto (2 days). I will post more later. But am busy.
What places do you recommend visiting in either city?

Great time to go with the exchange rate at nearly 125, highest it has been since a short time in 2002.

if you go there remember that sato is good and you can show him that he was wrong hate is wrong then you have to get kumiko to love you and you should definitely go to a castle with peter setera singing and use the drum technique take that to the bank bromurai warrior

if you go there remember that sato is good and you can show him that he was wrong hate is wrong then you have to get kumiko to love you and you should definitely go to a castle with peter setera singing and use the drum technique take that to the bank bromurai warrior
:lmao:

great bad movie

Kyoto is a very historic area with tons of very old castles, temples and pavilions. A few of the best are:

Nijo Castle

Kinkaku-ji (golden pavilion )

Kiyomizudera Temple

My favorite was the Golden Paviion. Get there when it first opens at 9am. When the sun hits it and the pond is calm it makes a wonderful reflection in the pond. You should also visit the Gion (geshia) District. Kyoto tower is pretty good to get a view of the city.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pocari Sweat and Teriyaki McBurger

You might think you can just get sushi while you are there because you know it well from the US, but even that is confusing.

I went to Japan a couple months ago for work for about a week, I was in Tokyo and Osaka. Outside of the hotels, there is very limited English spoken, even in tourist areas, but many signs included English especially in Tokyo and the train stations. Trains are awesome, clean, quiet, and safe. People are very respectful in the Japanese way. In fact, I accidently left my laptop on the bullet train from Tokyo to Osaka, but I got it back without issue a couple hours later

Do you have Netflix Instant? If so, check out the first season of the show called The Mind of a Chef. He goes to Japan a lot and you will be able to get some great dining ideas. I like the show in general, but the first season in particular is spent in Japan a decent amount. http://www.netflix.com/title/70279656

Kyoto is a very historic area with tons of very old castles, temples and pavilions. A few of the best are:

Nijo Castle

Kiyomizudera Temple

My favorite was the Golden Paviion. Get there when it first opens at 9am. When the sun hits it and the pond is calm it makes a wonderful reflection in the pond. You should also visit the Gion (geshia) District. Kyoto tower is pretty good to get a view of the city.
Go to gion at night so you have a chance to see the geisha. In kiyamachi, the nightlife district, go to Milan's bar and Nikki's bar. Hamid's has really good food.You could stay in Osaka and use it for a base to go to nara and kobe. Do a day trip to Himeji castle and hit the harbor in Kobe for dinner on the way back. Kobe doesn't really need a day and the port is nice at night. Eat n chinatown\motomachi. Nara -- go for the big Buddha.

You should check out an onsen,karaoke, and the all you can drink specials -- nomihoudai.

Nijo Castle

Kiyomizudera Temple

Go to gion at night so you have a chance to see the geisha. In kiyamachi, the nightlife district, go to Milan's bar and Nikki's bar. Hamid's has really good food.You could stay in Osaka and use it for a base to go to nara and kobe. Do a day trip to Himeji castle and hit the harbor in Kobe for dinner on the way back. Kobe doesn't really need a day and the port is nice at night. Eat n chinatown\motomachi. Nara -- go for the big Buddha.

You should check out an onsen,karaoke, and the all you can drink specials -- nomihoudai.
Some good thoughts.

Also, I loved Hiroshima. Worth the trip.

Nijo Castle

Kiyomizudera Temple

Some good thoughts. Also, I loved Hiroshima. Worth the trip.
Yeah, Hiroshima is good. Give the man some tips: obviously, the peace park. Take the jr around the bay and get the ferry to miyajima. That's the shrine in the ocean you always see pics of. Eat dinner at okonmimura. It has Hiroshima yaki, which is their famous food. $100ish and two hours from Osaka by bullet train

Nothing new to add but will second the following:

- rail pass

- Osaka as base for Nara, Himeji (castle from 'Shogun'), Kobe (best steaks ever), Hiroshima.

- Kyoto, Tokyo.

You may also want to check out a *** beisbol game depending on time of year.

Tokyo is broken up into many regions all with very distinct characteristics. The key to getting around Tokyo is understanding their complex subway/metro system which is a combination of many separate companies who each run several routes. The simplest and most important route is JR's Yamanote Line which circles the city and stops at many key areas. Your JR pass is only good for JR's company lines. JR is the best company at using English on their announcements and signs. There are a few lines which use exclusively Japanese characters and can be difficult to know where you are. JR will get you close to about any area you want to go in Tokyo with maybe the exception of Roppongi, but there is a subway line which can easily get you there for a few bucks from one of JR's stops.

As a starter, here are a few of my suggestions for Tokyo:

- Hit the party scene in Roppongi. Lots of great bars and some more seedy area, but most popular area for foreign travelers. Watch out of the Jamaican dudes trying to drag you into their strip clubs. They are aggressive and look for single guys roaming around. Not sure how true some of the stories are online or how often it occurs, but they will do things like trick you into ordering expensive drinks and run up large bills (around $1000). Might be better off pursuing the suggestion above to get more bang for your buck.

- Senso-ji Temple is a nice place to visit.

- Skytree gives you a great view of the town, but the lines can be long. Close to Senso-ji

- Edo Museum gives a good history of Japan

- Akihabrara is the geek Mecca. Electronics city. Everything you could imagine electronics wise is here plus a bunch of Anime stuff and themed Cafes. Great to visit during the day if you want to shop, but is also cool at night when it is all lit up. You can still shop at night, but it seems easier during the day. Themed cafes seem kind of corney, but they are a cultural thing over there.

- Fish Market. Very interesting to see this huge market in action and then get some fresh sushi afterwards.

- Ball game. Catch a baseball game in the Tokyo dome. (Oh, you said end of year....maybe ski Mt. Fuji)

I have a 24 hour layover there this fall. Sort of a trial run for a longer stay in the future. Can't wait!

Dot

1. http://www.japanican.com/en/. Good site for finding hotels. If you really want the full Japan experience, book yourself a night in a ryokan.

2. Rent a portable wifi hotspot, like this one. They're pretty cheap and it's super useful to just be able to pull up google maps on your phone while traveling.

3. Pretty much every rail and bus line in the country has a wikipedia page, that lists all the stops in both english and japanese, as well as which trains stop at which stations. Very helpful for navigating if you find yourself on one of the trains that doesn't use english. All of the stations have wikipedia pages too, which can be helpful finding the right platform when you need to transfer.

4. Be aware that the JR Pass doesn't include the Nozomi trains, which are the fastest ones between cities. If you want to take these trains it's probably not worth it to get the pass. It all depends on how much and what kind of travel you're going to be doing, but IMO it's worth the extra money to spend less time sitting on trains and more time actually doing stuff.

5. For Fuji, I recommend staying in Kawaguchiko. It's a little out of the way, but has some absolutely spectacular views. Get a hotel with an onsen (hot spring bath).

6. Other food recommendations: Ramen (no, seriously), Korean BBQ.

1. http://www.japanican.com/en/. Good site for finding hotels. If you really want the full Japan experience, book yourself a night in a ryokan.

2. Rent a portable wifi hotspot, like this one. They're pretty cheap and it's super useful to just be able to pull up google maps on your phone while traveling.

3. Pretty much every rail and bus line in the country has a wikipedia page, that lists all the stops in both english and japanese, as well as which trains stop at which stations. Very helpful for navigating if you find yourself on one of the trains that doesn't use english. All of the stations have wikipedia pages too, which can be helpful finding the right platform when you need to transfer.

4. Be aware that the JR Pass doesn't include the Nozomi trains, which are the fastest ones between cities. If you want to take these trains it's probably not worth it to get the pass. It all depends on how much and what kind of travel you're going to be doing, but IMO it's worth the extra money to spend less time sitting on trains and more time actually doing stuff.

5. For Fuji, I recommend staying in Kawaguchiko. It's a little out of the way, but has some absolutely spectacular views. Get a hotel with an onsen (hot spring bath).

6. Other food recommendations: Ramen (no, seriously), Korean BBQ.
2. Absolutely. I forgot about the hotspot. Those are a life-saver if just for the GPS and map-loading. Wi-Fi is not readily available in Japan.

4. But it does include the shinkansen bullet train which is nearly as fast as the Nozomi bullet train. I used that line between Tokyo and Kyoto and that roundtrip alone is like $280, paying for about 70 percent of a two week pass and more than pays for a one week pass. It does depend on its usage, but it you use it to go down to Kyoto, that pretty much means it is going to save you a lot of money.

can a single guy from the states score any ladies there in 2 weeks, without using a professional? seems like girls there might be a little more buttoned up.

When I went we met some girls in a dart bar, went to karaoke (they were real nice, pouring out drinks, etc)

Took them back to our hotel room for more drinks. The one guy had bought a penthouse magazine at the airport and had left it on the bed. Pretty entertaining watching them browse it and ohh and ahh at the "landscaping" typical of American girls. I was in a relationship so I didn't pursue anything but I'm pretty sure the other guys I was with banged them, or definitely could have

Also I second the ramen nomination

can a single guy from the states score any ladies there in 2 weeks, without using a professional? seems like girls there might be a little more buttoned up.
Might want to lay some ground work using social media so to set up meeting someone. Definitely some Japanese girls who are into American guys, but the majority are more into staying within their race and look down upon mixing. At least that is the impression I get.

Easy from what I hear. Snagging a white man is a trophy to them.

I would like to go there for a day or two but it wouldn't be worth the long flight to do it.

How are they coming along with transporters?

Headed there in October again. two weeks is plenty of time. Tokyo, Kyoto are a must. And you can stay in osaka when you visit kyoto. I would probably try to stay in an onsen at some point if you can.

Do you have Netflix Instant? If so, check out the first season of the show called The Mind of a Chef. He goes to Japan a lot and you will be able to get some great dining ideas. I like the show in general, but the first season in particular is spent in Japan a decent amount. http://www.netflix.com/title/70279656
I am starting to re-watch the 1st season, which features David Chang (owner and chef at Momofuku in NYC). The 1st episode is about ramen in Japan and the 1st place he goes to is a restaurant called Taishoken. The clip in this article http://luckypeach.com/inside-tokyos-taishoken/ is from the 1st episode of Mind of a Chef, written by Peter Meehan (Chang's friend who goes to these restaurants with him in Mind of a Chef). If/when I go to Tokyo, I will be going to this restaurant.

I have travelled a lot and the most important thing to me is to eat good food that is recommended and loved by the locals. I like seeing historical sites and doing various activities to get a feel for the country, but IMO the best way to immerse yourself in the local culture is to eat the local food at places where the locals dominate and where I am one of the only tourists there.

There is also 'Jiro Dreams of Sushi' documentary on Netflix which is very good. It may make you want to drop $300 for the ultimate Sushi experience.

There is also 'Jiro Dreams of Sushi' documentary on Netflix which is very good. It may make you want to drop $300 for the ultimate Sushi experience.
:goodposting: Great documentary. Im actually planning on hitting a top sushi place on my visit in october but decided against Jiro. For one, its really hard to get a reservation and you need someone who speaks Japanese to make it. Second i heard that he doesnt treat non Japanese very well. Its also my understanding that his experience is like 8 pieces and your out the door in 30 mins. But i guess you are paying to see Jiro.

:goodposting: Great documentary. Im actually planning on hitting a top sushi place on my visit in october but decided against Jiro. For one, its really hard to get a reservation and you need someone who speaks Japanese to make it. Second i heard that he doesnt treat non Japanese very well. Its also my understanding that his experience is like 8 pieces and your out the door in 30 mins. But i guess you are paying to see Jiro.
I think it is 18 pieces and you eat whatever he feeds you. But it is a 30 minute experience. You are paying for the most perfectly served sushi on the planet.

I think it is 18 pieces and you eat whatever he feeds you. But it is a 30 minute experience.
oh ok. thats much better than 8. Still 30 minutes is tight! I'm working on getting a reservation at Sushi Saito or Sushi Iwa. Both are also pretty difficult so we will see. I will document the experience and let you know how it was.

Side note. Anyone know good sake spots? Im looking to find a really good sake bar.

I think it is 18 pieces and you eat whatever he feeds you. But it is a 30 minute experience. You are paying for the most perfectly served sushi on the planet.
Better than even the grocery store sushi?

Better than even the grocery store sushi?
Keogers or Shop-n-Go?

Zushi is a pretty neat beach town south of Tokyo. Got really drunk there and did Micheal Jordan impressions. The Japanese were wowed.
It is a nice beach area, but kind of out of the way unless you are in the neighborhood. That is real close to the Great Budha in Kamakura and not to far away from the US naval base in Yokosuka.

Have no idea the name of the place I ate in Ropongi but the chef did not care for me

First I guess I tried to order too much stuff or something because he just cut me off mid order and gave me a "you order enough fatty" look

Then I know you are supposed to dip fish side in the soy but I dropped it and it went rice side down but he only saw me picking it up so he angrily grabbed a piece to show me proper technique

Users who are viewing this thread