What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 5 Rookie WR's (1 Viewer)

mikmak8902

Footballguy
Amari Cooper

Devante Parker

Kevin White

Nelson Agholor

Breshad Perriman

I wanted to start a thread discussing where to rank these guys within their own group and WHY. I see some threads comparing one to the other but it would be nice to have a one stop shop for analysis on all 5 of them. They seem to be the consensus top 5 WR's even though I understand that Green-Beckham, Funchess, etc all have their supporters.

In addition to immediate impact, it would be great to have some discussion as to which one of them will hold more long term value.

My "immediate impact" ranking:

1. Amari Cooper - Great route runner, most NFL ready, decent young QB with upside, locked in as immediate starter.

2. Nelson Agholor - Great situation, fantastic after the catch and explosive returner, could start right away.

3. Devante Parker - Elite size and athleticism, in an offense that continues to add pieces and get better, young QB with upside, could start right away if healthy.

4. Kevin White - Elite size and athleticism, adequate QB (fantasy-wise), stud WR to draw doubles on the other side, most likely opening day starter if healthy.

5. Breshad Perriman - Looks to start immediately, Opportunity is definitely there, fastest of the top WR's.

My "long term" ranking:

1. Devante Parker

2. Amari Cooper

3. Kevin White

4. Nelson Agholor

5. Breshad Perriman

Feel free to discuss other WR options as well but I'd like to focus on guys you see as potential top 5 rookie picks in dynasty leagues.

I mostly agree with your rankings. It sucks White, Perriman and Parker are struggling with some injuries right now. Watch out for Funchess. I don't think KB is all that talented. He's just big and got a lot of targets last year. Devin is just as big but is much more athletic and is more of a threat after the catch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on the jaw-dropping comments coming out of Raiderland, I can't see anyone but Cooper at the top of either list.

I'm really excited to see the Raiders play. And...damn...Gannon era since I had that thought?

Ty Montgomery has been the star at Packers camp but may be returner and #4 WR.

He could be a Percy Harvin player out of the backfield too though.

I couldn't agree more on Funchess. I personally like him more then Perriman. I'm not a Perriman fan at all but I don't think Funchess is really being targeted in the first 5 picks of rookie drafts. I honestly believe KB's numbers were more a product of opportunity than talent. Funchess is similar in size but more athletic and fluid with better hands.

My problem with Cooper is a bit of nit-picking but I just don't see much but speed with him after the catch. He absolutely is not a dynamic runner after the catch. Also, if you watch his highlights, the vast majority of his long receiving TD's are completely wide open bombs. Is that scheme? Blown coverage? Speed? Watching them, I can attribute many of them to the first two which scares me off a bit for the price you are going to have to spend on the guy.

Although, I keep hearing so many good things about him as a route runner and technician. I just have slight concerns that I'll be spending the #2 overall on a guy that ends up being the average "speed" guy on his team. In the end, I think he'll be a solid pro though.

Simply put, I think he has the highest floor of any WR in this class but there are a few others with higher ceilings.

I couldn't agree more on Funchess. I personally like him more then Perriman. I'm not a Perriman fan at all but I don't think Funchess is really being targeted in the first 5 picks of rookie drafts. I honestly believe KB's numbers were more a product of opportunity than talent. Funchess is similar in size but more athletic and fluid with better hands.
I agree with everything except the hands part. Devin had major issues catching the ball at Michigan.

I agree with everything except the hands part. Devin had major issues catching the ball at Michigan.
I wasn't saying he had good hands. I was saying he had better hands than Benjamin.

http://scores.nbcsports.msnbc.com/fb/leaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

Of course, you could probably say the same thing about half the offensive linemen on the team. :)

did Dorsett kill your dog or something?
Like I said in the opening statement. I was just including WR's generally being taken in the top 5 at their position in Rookie Drafts. I'm not seeing Dorsett consistently being taken in that range. With that said, I also mentioned to feel free to include any other WR for discussion.

I like Dorsett to a point but I'm not as much of a supporter as many on this board. I'm still not giving up on Moncrief, you've got Hilton, AJ, Duron Carter, and both TE's (Indy runs many 2 TE sets). That's alot of competition for an under-sized, albeit super-fast, WR.

No love for the player with the highest upside in the draft? Dorial Green-Beckham
I am extremely wary of DGB. There are just so many red flags about him and his game. He ran the most basic of routes in college and there are quotes that his early practices/impressions are very bad. Completely lost on the whiteboard and zero nuance as a route runner. Playing for Wiz and Marriota is another negative. MM isn't the type to throw jump balls, which is all DGB is good for right now.

You can say highest upside because of his frame but he's given us zero indication he will develop the WR skills to take advantage of his size. Nobody should be surprised if he's an AJ Jenkins type bust

I wasn't saying he had good hands. I was saying he had better hands than Benjamin.

http://scores.nbcsports.msnbc.com/fb/leaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

Of course, you could probably say the same thing about half the offensive linemen on the team. :)
That is a bit misleading... given he was the WR with the 6th most targets in the league, and 14th worst in drop%.

He also had several uncatchable targets, given Newton's accuracy.

Funchess is a great athlete but he has bad hands and he is very soft. I expect him to be a bust in the NFL.

That is a bit misleading... given he was the WR with the 6th most targets in the league, and 14th worst in drop%.

He also had several uncatchable targets, given Newton's accuracy.
I don't know ... he had a better catch rate than KB last year.

Funchess

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2015/2/18/8061745/2014-college-football-receiver-stats

KB

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr

And Funchess was thrown passes from a guy that is (and should be) playing WR now.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000457713/article/michigans-devin-gardner-is-making-move-from-qb-to-wr

No love for the player with the highest upside in the draft? Dorial Green-Beckham
I am extremely wary of DGB. There are just so many red flags about him and his game. He ran the most basic of routes in college and there are quotes that his early practices/impressions are very bad. Completely lost on the whiteboard and zero nuance as a route runner. Playing for Wiz and Marriota is another negative. MM isn't the type to throw jump balls, which is all DGB is good for right now.

You can say highest upside because of his frame but he's given us zero indication he will develop the WR skills to take advantage of his size. Nobody should be surprised if he's an AJ Jenkins type bust
“Without a doubt, [DGB] has certain things you can’t teach,” Titans cornerback Jason McCourty says. “You can’t teach a guy to be 6'5", 230 pounds and be able to run like he can. I think he does a really good job already of knowing how to use his body, on deep balls and short routes, knowing how to box out a defensive back. And the one thing I really enjoy from him is he comes out there and talks a little bit of trash. He thinks he’s really good, and in order to be a good player in this league, you have to have that type of confidence. For us [players], we look at him and say he has a little bit of dog in him. Those are the type of guys you love to compete against.”

Says Douglas, the former Falcons role player now sharing the field with Green-Beckham: “You don’t find too many people with his skill set. The feet he has for a big guy, it’s unbelievable. I haven’t seen too many guys with feet like that, at his size, other than Julio [Jones]. I have 100% faith in DGB, because I’m seeing the progress with him. He’s learning how to be a pro, and I can’t wait to watch him play.”

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/08/07/marcus-mariota-titans-training-camp-dorial-green-beckham-ken-whisenhunt

Mortimer Ichabod said:
maf005 said:
Alluro said:

“Without a doubt, [DGB] has certain things you can’t teach,” Titans cornerback Jason McCourty says. “You can’t teach a guy to be 6'5", 230 pounds and be able to run like he can. I think he does a really good job already of knowing how to use his body, on deep balls and short routes, knowing how to box out a defensive back. And the one thing I really enjoy from him is he comes out there and talks a little bit of trash. He thinks he’s really good, and in order to be a good player in this league, you have to have that type of confidence. For us [players], we look at him and say he has a little bit of dog in him. Those are the type of guys you love to compete against.”

Says Douglas, the former Falcons role player now sharing the field with Green-Beckham: “You don’t find too many people with his skill set. The feet he has for a big guy, it’s unbelievable. I haven’t seen too many guys with feet like that, at his size, other than Julio [Jones]. I have 100% faith in DGB, because I’m seeing the progress with him. He’s learning how to be a pro, and I can’t wait to watch him play.”

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/08/07/marcus-mariota-titans-training-camp-dorial-green-beckham-ken-whisenhunt
Eh that doesn't really dispute my claims unfortunately. Nobody is disputing that he's giant and decently athletic.

And I acknowledge that there's a %chance he reaches his potential, it's just that % is significantly smaller than the general FF consensus. It's definitely in the range of outcomes though. I don't often veer from NFL draft order but this is one of those times

I think Cooper is overrated. The Raiders schedule is brutal and he has to face the #1 corner every week as a rookie. Not a fan of his QB either. I love him as a player and think he'll be great at some point, just not this year.

According to MLF ADP the WR are being drafted in the order as you describe however there is some distance between them overall that suggests different tiers between the WR.

1. Gurley, Todd STL RB
2. Cooper, Amari OAK WR
3. Gordon, Melvin SDC RB
4. White, Kevin CHI WR
5. Parker, DeVante MIA WR
6. Yeldon, T.J. JAC RB
7. Agholor, Nelson PHI WR
8. Abdullah, Ameer DET RB
9. Coleman, Tevin ATL RB
10. Perriman, Breshad BAL WR
11. Green-Beckham, Dorial TEN WR
12. Winston, Jameis TBB QB
13. Mariota, Marcus TEN QB
14. Ajayi, Jay MIA RB
15. Johnson, Duke CLE RB
16. Strong, Jaelen HOU WR
17. Williams, Maxx BAL TE
18. Kendricks, Eric MIN LB
19. Funchess, Devin CAR WR
20. Dorsett, Phillip IND WR
21. Johnson, David ARI RB
22. Cobb, David TEN RB
23. Anthony, Stephone NOS LB
24. Smith, Devin NYJ WR
25. Williams, Leonard NYJ DE
26. Lockett, Tyler SEA WR
27. Allen, Javorius BAL RB
28. Conley, Chris KCC WR
29. Coates, Sammie PIT WR
So the 5 WR break down like this:

2. Cooper, Amari OAK WR

4. White, Kevin CHI WR
5. Parker, DeVante MIA WR

7. Agholor, Nelson PHI WR

10. Perriman, Breshad BAL WR
11. Green-Beckham, Dorial TEN WR

Factors such as long term value compared to short term situation have gone into these 710 sets of choices. There has always been an upper tier of Cooper,White,Parker above the other WR and I think this is reflected somewhat by their ADP.

Agholor I think got a large boost based on his short term situation with CK as well as draft position. The same is true for Perriman and to some extent DGB, but people have been very high on DGBs upside even before the draft.

As for my personal ranking of the WR that is:

2 WR Amari Cooper 20 pick 4 Raiders
4 WR DeVante Parker 22 pick 14 Dolphins
5 WR Kevin White 22 pick 7 Bears

8WR Phillip Dorsett 22 pick 29 Colts
9WR Dorial Green-Beckham 22 pick 40 Titans
11WR Nelson Agholor 21 pick 20 Eagles
12WR Breshad Perriman 21 pick 26 Ravens

I'm not sold on Perriman. Same with White.

I think 3-5 years down the road we may also be talking about Lockett, Diggs and Smelter in this group as well. Just a long way to go before it all shakes out.

I really like Cooper and Parker. DGB could also be a wildcard after he gets some experience. All-in-all this could end up being a great WR class.

Cooper

Parker

White

Perriman

Lockett

I'd have DGB in there but off field is such a concern. It doesn't take much these days to get released.

I just can't buy the Agholor hype and I refuse to believe a WR, especially one of Perriman's breed will ever approach WR1 numbers in Baltimore. Not to say they won't be good, but I think there are at least 5 others who could reach that.

Three years from now Deandre Smelter will be in the top 5 of this years crop.
Good post. Being overlooked because of the injury, which keeps him out of any redraft-focused rook ranking/review. Great longterm add, available on the cheap.

The press isn't shy so I think one needs to follow the sheep here some. Cooper's press is outstanding.

Otherwise I am waiting to hear soandso gets it and will be able to contribute.

Injuries and usual rook struggles have most of these gems still at too early a point to dissect who will be a gem in year one.

Ian Rapoport explains DGB here- The wild card is rookie Dorial Green-Beckham, who is ... huge. Just massive. Couldn't believe how big he is. Consistency has been his issue, and he has yet to put two practices together. But when he's on -- like he was Thursday -- it's something to watch.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000507871/article/tennessee-titans-training-camp-marcus-mariota-off-to-fast-start

Next we'll have to focus on opportunity but I think a lot of these guys are like DGB and need to string together a few excellent practices before they have any redraft value

maf005 said:
Alluro said:

They've thrown it deep a ton in camp thus far.

Stoops' positive words held a lot of weight with people at draft time and it seems to have been true. Supposed trouble having idle time on his hands, that really held some weight. He's putting the time in and being a good boy. After one poor practice, he was seen working out with the ball machine catching passes and I really really was impressed by that.

The thing I think that has been real important for him was how non-special he is at times. Following Britt and Hunter, they've got some experience. Turzilli and Hunter are roughly the same size and speed and excellent at high pointing the ball. Like many rookies, he's gone his whole life being the biggest or the fastest and entering the NFL he's more toward normal.

I was leery of him too and haven't totally shaken that.

I think Stoops is going to prove to have been an invaluable influence upon him and as long as he keeps being a good boy, his time will come. I'm unsure when though

But what about opportunity?
For the short term there is not a ton, however, with patience especially with a QB like Rogers there you can maybe hit the jackpot. R. Cobb did not have his first 1000 yard season till last year his 4th year in the league.

He's the one I just do not know what to do with. He has such blazing speed and is so darn quick watching the Miami games, but when will he see the field with Moncrief , Johnson, and TY there? Next season? Not sure where to value him exactly in dynasty. I can see him be a PPR stud receiver at some point but then I can see a guy who may have to wait till they need a three WR set to come into the game. Rookie drafts are so hard!

I'll take Dorsett and call it a day.

For the short term there is not a ton, however, with patience especially with a QB like Rogers there you can maybe hit the jackpot. R. Cobb did not have his first 1000 yard season till last year his 4th year in the league.
Same thing with Nelson. His first big season was his 4th in the league. If you're patient, and the prospect pans out, the payoff can be huge. Certainly worth taking a flier at his current value

KCBuc said:
He's the one I just do not know what to do with. He has such blazing speed and is so darn quick watching the Miami games, but when will he see the field with Moncrief , Johnson, and TY there? Next season? Not sure where to value him exactly in dynasty. I can see him be a PPR stud receiver at some point but then I can see a guy who may have to wait till they need a three WR set to come into the game. Rookie drafts are so hard!

BroadwayG said:
I'll take Dorsett and call it a day.
The Colts drafting him when they could/should have filled another position. IMHO he has received as much hype this off season as Cooper and from what I've read they both are justified to a degree. I'm not concerned what the other WRs individually, the Colts have stacked up this year to win the Superbowl and if he is good Dorsett will get his targets.

Tex

Skeletore Eh said:
Carter_Can_Fly said:
Bri said:
cr8f said:

Same thing with Nelson. His first big season was his 4th in the league. If you're patient, and the prospect pans out, the payoff can be huge. Certainly worth taking a flier at his current value
Do you ever wait that long?

Take Justin Hunter for example. He's into his 3rd year and that fight is a blip on what's been a very good offseason for him. You mention year 4 above, supposing him...could you wait one more year?

Cooper gets open because he breaks ankles with his routes, then gets over the top with 4.3 speed. He doesn't need after the catch skills because he's a master of getting behind the D.

The sneaky top-5 play in this class, especially in return leagues is Tyler Lockett. Kid can do it all.

Anyone interested in discussing who among the rookie WRs might pay off this year?

Cooper has already delivered, I think he's set in stone as on his way, let's leave him out of the discussion.

Parker - snaps rising, but only in garbage time?

Dorsett - great offense but not many snaps with Hilton active and as long as AJ plays

DGB - entering his bye and Ten could transition, so far few snaps but very productive, 2 TDs in 2 games

Lockett - the Seattle offense is unreliable except for Lynch, depending on the week of course any one can pay off.

Montgomery - has a big chance to step in for Adams, 66 snaps on MNF.

Personally I don't see White, Agholor or Funchess doing much this year.

Feel free to mention anyone else.

Anyone interested in discussing who among the rookie WRs might pay off this year?

Cooper has already delivered, I think he's set in stone as on his way, let's leave him out of the discussion.

Dorsett - great offense but not many snaps with Hilton active and as long as AJ plays

DGB - entering his bye and Ten could transition, so far few snaps but very productive, 2 TDs in 2 games

Lockett - the Seattle offense is unreliable except for Lynch, depending on the week of course any one can pay off.

very disappointed in Funchess he should be stepping up, losing out to Ted Ginn of all people

Agholor is getting snaps - anyone who watches the Philly games care to pipe in on why he isn't producing? Bradford's horrible start? Problems with Agholor? Combo?

very disappointed in Funchess he should be stepping up, losing out to Ted Ginn of all people
+1

Parker coming along nicely. Snap counts improving every week.
I grabbed him week 1 after he was dropped. Love his upside and I own Landry so it's a quasi handcuff situation. I'll bet he's heavily involved in the offense by weeks 8-10 if not sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread