What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HBO Series "Vinyl" - Coming in 2016 (1 Viewer)

mquinnjr

Footballguy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2irZnQMovI

Scorcese and Mick Jagger collabo.

:blackdot:

:headbang:

ETA: http://www.hbo.com/vinyl/about.html

Series Information

From Martin Scorsese, Mick Jagger and Terence Winter, this new drama series is set in 1970s New York. A ride through the sex- and drug-addled music business at the dawn of punk, disco, and hip-hop, the show is seen through the eyes of a record label president, Richie Finestra, played by Bobby Cannavale, who is trying to save his company and his soul without destroying everyone in his path. Additional series regulars include Olivia Wilde, Ray Romano, Ato Essandoh, Max Casella, P.J. Byrne, J.C. MacKenzie, Birgitte Hjort Sørensen, Juno Temple, Jack Quaid, James Jagger and Paul Ben-Victor. Executive produced by Martin Scorsese, Mick Jagger, Terence Winter, Rick Yorn, Victoria Pearman, Emma Tillinger Koskoff, John Melfi and Allen Coulter. Winter serves as showrunner.

Debuts in 2016.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trailer is out and this looks ####### good :thumbup:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/vinyl-hbo-trailer/

HBO will premiere Vinyl, a series about the New York music scene in the ’70s that’s co-produced by Mick Jagger and Martin Scorsese, in January. The network has unveiled a full-length trailer for the show, which you can watch above.

“Think back to the first time you heard a song that made the hairs on the back of your neck stand up,” says Bobby Cannavale, who stars as label head Richie Finestra, in a voiceover. “Made you want to dance or go out and kick somebody’s ###. That’s what I’m talking about.”

Then the familiar riff of the Stooges‘ “I Wanna Be Your Dog” kicks in as Finestra tells his charges that he wants them to find “new, fresh, fast, exciting” acts. Shots of all sorts of decadence then follow, with Cannavale doing some Al Pacino-level scenery chewing.

HBO’s website calls Vinyl “a ride through the sex- and drug-addled music business at the dawn of punk, disco, and hip-hop. The show is seen through the eyes of a record label president … who is trying to save his company and his soul without destroying everyone in his path.”

In addition to Cannavale, Vinyl stars Olivia Wilde as his wife, Ray Romano as his partner and Andrew “Dice” Clay as a radio executive. If the singer of the punk band looks a little too much like a real rock star, there’s a good reason for that: He’s James Jagger, Mick’s 30-year-old son.

Bobby Cannavale is one of the best actors out there. It is great to see him get to lead a show, especially something that looks as good as this.

Some factual errors....

It wasn't called "Lyme's Disease" till 1976.

"The Led Zeppelins" didn't play "You Shook Me" live in 1973 (at least they didn't at MSG). I assume they didn't have the rights to any LZ songs and could include "You Shook Me" because its a Muddy Waters cover.

Otherwise I liked the premier.

I like Cannavale but was slightly disappointed with him in the pilot. He seemed uneven scene to scene. Maybe he was supposed to seem that way. Overall the plot skipped around a lot.

I'm a sucker for Scorsese. He makes everything more entertaining than it should be, I wonder how the show will shift without him as the director. I liked the pilot though and will stick with it. There's potential for it to be good considering the talent involved.

This might be an unpopular opinion but I thought the amount of music in the pilot really made it drag.  However, there were some great scenes and interesting characters.  Overall I'm very excited about this series.

I like how they Tarantino-ed it into the scene where Cannavale is snorting off of the rear-view mirror with the NYPD Detective's business card outside of the secret concert. Show has potential IMO, really excited to see where they take this. 

I like Cannavale but was slightly disappointed with him in the pilot. He seemed uneven scene to scene. Maybe he was supposed to seem that way. Overall the plot skipped around a lot.
Could be all the flashbacks?  I wonder if this will continue.

Thought the pilot was solid overall and looking forward to the rest of the season.

This might be an unpopular opinion but I thought the amount of music in the pilot really made it drag.  However, there were some great scenes and interesting characters.  Overall I'm very excited about this series.
I agree about the music.  There were a couple of WTF moments like with the black chick and the tambourine (not sure who that was supposed to be) and the Otis Redding segment.  No reason why they were thrown in.

It was alright. Kind of a let down with all the talent involved. Mick's kid looks just like him. I've never seen people do blow like these guys before; massive violent snorts that knocks your head back? Looked like they were inhaling marbles. The building falling down at the NY Dolls show was dumber than the UFOs in Fargo.

Should I give this a try if I don't like the main lead?

I don't know what it is...his face, accent, mannerisms or maybe some role he did so well in the past by playing a bad guy that I just have a bad taste in my mouth for him.

Is this good enough for me to get over whatever dislike I have for his face?

I personally like Cannavale, more than this show, I think. But he's a pretty central central character, so that might be a deal-breaker.

I like the cast and the subject matter, it's just...I dunno. It doesn't land for me.

It was alright. Kind of a let down with all the talent involved. Mick's kid looks just like him. I've never seen people do blow like these guys before; massive violent snorts that knocks your head back? Looked like they were inhaling marbles. The building falling down at the NY Dolls show was dumber than the UFOs in Fargo.
:goodposting: that over the top blow scene in the beginning.  Wtf, I thought for a second he was going to pull an Uma Thurman, but no... It was just the most dramatic bump in the history of cinema. 

I also wasn't a fan of the drawn out music scenes.  When he walked into the club and watches the band it seemed like an eternity.  

I do like shows/movies done in different time periods.  I thought that was pretty cool to see the music scene in the 70's.  However, when TF did the car phone come out?  Explain that one to me.  Was that possible on radios or something in the 70's?  He was always in the city.

Overall, great idea, so far poor execution.  I'm sticking around though.

Amazed how stupid they made a cocaine high look.  Everyone surrounding this show has either done or is still doing blow.

It's ridiculous. 

Swing 51 said:
Interesting. Guess I was reacting to everyone on the TV version just brushed the dust off and walked away after a building pancaked on them. It was like a cartoon. Since the actual event didn't happen during a show, not sure why they had to go over the top. Some plaster falling, or a chandelier would of been enough, but no way anyone, including the Dolls could survive that. 

Not a very good follow-up.  It almost feels like a musical sometimes.  The drug scenes seem forced and overdone.  Average at best  :yawn:  

Users who are viewing this thread