What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where Do You Expect To Play The Majority Of Your 2015 Football DFS? (1 Viewer)

Where Do You Expect To Play The Majority Of Your 2015 Football DFS?

• FanDuel

Votes: 61 53.0%
  • DraftKings

Votes: 48 41.7%
  • FantasyAces

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • FantasyScore (USA Today)

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Victiv

• DraftDay

• FantasyFeud

• CBS

• Yahoo

Votes: 3 2.6%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Let's hear it.

Where do you expect to play the majority of your 2015 Football DFS?

Let's also hear why you answered the way you did. In other words, what is it about the site you plan to play the most on that keeps you there? Interface? Game format? Scoring? Payouts? Competition? Familiarity? Etc.

J

Last edited by a moderator:
Fan Duel ... familiar ... new last year ... and do not have time to track a second set of scoring parameters and contests this year. Baby steps ...

Given the low minimum deposits at most sites, I encourage people to play at a few different sites.

FanDuel and DraftKings are the biggest and have obvious benefits. Pick at least one of them and play on it.

But the smaller sites are where you're more likely to find overlays, and in my experience also tend to have weaker opponents. Plus it's fun to experiment with sites that start 2 QBs, etc.

You may try a number of sites and determine that you like FanDuel best. You wouldn't be alone there. (Same with DraftKings.) But you may also find that you like some of the features (and overlays) on other sites. For a minimum deposit (usually between $5 and $20), it makes sense to give several a try. JMHO.

I actually like the scoring at DraftKings better (PPR, flex position), but I will be playing most of my money at FanDuel. I am not a fan of late swap at all. I also plan to play a bit more on the smaller sites without late swap.

I actually like the scoring at DraftKings better (PPR, flex position), but I will be playing most of my money at FanDuel. I am not a fan of late swap at all. I also plan to play a bit more on the smaller sites without late swap.
So if you prefer that about DraftKings, what is the reason for playing most of your money at FanDuel? Do you believe the competition is easier at FanDuel?

So if you prefer that about DraftKings, what is the reason for playing most of your money at FanDuel? Do you believe the competition is easier at FanDuel?
FanDuel does not allow you to change lineups once the games start. DraftKings does (Late Swap). For me, I don't have all Sunday to tinker with lineups (nor does that sound very fun either). I like to watch the games and FanDuel's policy allows that.

Given the low minimum deposits at most sites, I encourage people to play at a few different sites.

FanDuel and DraftKings are the biggest and have obvious benefits. Pick at least one of them and play on it.

But the smaller sites are where you're more likely to find overlays, and in my experience also tend to have weaker opponents. Plus it's fun to experiment with sites that start 2 QBs, etc.

You may try a number of sites and determine that you like FanDuel best. You wouldn't be alone there. (Same with DraftKings.) But you may also find that you like some of the features (and overlays) on other sites. For a minimum deposit (usually between $5 and $20), it makes sense to give several a try. JMHO.
Why do you feel they have weaker opponents on the smaller sites? I would have though just the opposite. I would have thought the new less experience players would be on the more established/advertised sites and more sharks would spread out and be at the smaller sites. This had been my thought but I have yet nor had enough time to look at the smaller sites. Is there a site you recommend of smaller variety?

FanDuel does not allow you to change lineups once the games start. DraftKings does (Late Swap). For me, I don't have all Sunday to tinker with lineups (nor does that sound very fun either). I like to watch the games and FanDuel's policy allows that.
The bold is why I prefer and play mostly on FanDuel. I really feel you have to be able to make changes on Sunday afternoon just prior to late games start and also prior to both Sunday night and Monday night in order to take advantage of Draft Kings late swap or you are putting yourself at a disadvantage over the players that are doing that.

The bold is why I prefer and play mostly on FanDuel. I really feel you have to be able to make changes on Sunday afternoon just prior to late games start and also prior to both Sunday night and Monday night in order to take advantage of Draft Kings late swap or you are putting yourself at a disadvantage over the players that are doing that.
I didn't realize that. I've only played FanDuel, but was planning to give DraftKings a shot as well this season, but now probably will not. I just don't have the time or desire to do tinkering once the games start, and agree that if that's allowed but you don't do it, you're at a disadvantage.

Fanduel mostly because that is the site I am most familiar with and like the no late swap outs. But I do use 3 other sites for a different twist on things.

I am going with DraftKings because I do not like the Kicker being a part of DFS. It is one thing to have a kicker over a season long average things out for total points, but to me, there is too much difference between prize money in the GPP on the line to put it on a dude who gets lucky and kicks five field goals. Fanduel just seems like more luck when you add in the Kicker position.

Late swapouts are a deal breaker for me, so I'm on FD. I have a life that does not permit me to sit at a computer all Sunday.

For the people turned off by DK's late swap....

I understand you're too busy to be by the computer all day, but I assume you're at least watching the games(and keeping up with late breaking injuries before the late games start), right? If so, DK's mobile ap works well and you can do all late swaps via your phone.

Especially in NBA, I"ve found that late swap can add quite a bit of EV. In fact there are some opponents that I don't think I could beat the rake against if it weren't for late swap, but with late swap I play them every slate.

For the people turned off by DK's late swap....

I understand you're too busy to be by the computer all day, but I assume you're at least watching the games(and keeping up with late breaking injuries before the late games start), right? If so, DK's mobile ap works well and you can do all late swaps via your phone.

Especially in NBA, I"ve found that late swap can add quite a bit of EV. In fact there are some opponents that I don't think I could beat the rake against if it weren't for late swap, but with late swap I play them every slate.
I'm not even watching the games on some occasions. I dont do this professionally. Sometimes I'll be on a weekend trip or maybe we got invited to a wedding or something which would keep me from getting to my lineups every sunday.

Fanduel for me. I play DraftKings as well, but I find the competition easier on Fanduel. Only thing I don't like is the kicker.

I will stick with draftkings as I like better than FD and don't currently have the time or interest in checking out the smaller sites. With finishing my Masters during this football season I may cut way back period due to time issues.

I'm happy that I'm the only one who's going to check out Yahoo. Should help keep it soft.
As of now only 51 people have voted. The poll also is which one you will spend most of your time not which ones you will play. I have yet to check out the other sites but plan to soon enough.

FanDuel is my site of choice, and I am with Dodds on the late swap with Draftkings. Although I will play alot over there as well, the late swap I find is a disadvantage for me. I like knowing the plays at the start of the week and setting a lineup and and adjusting right up until lineup lock. I don't have the time with work and family life to worry about trying to switch a player out at the last minute on Sunday or Monday night.

I do like Draftkings for CFB though, I think they have better pricing and I like the 1 point per reception for the RB's.

Never played DFS before, but I'm doing DraftKings this year.

Reading the info in the Cracking DraftKings book it sounds like the rules are all fine, but the main reason I'm going there is because the marketing seems better. They are advertising like crazy on ESPN. I'm hoping it has something of a poker boom Party Poker effect with lots of bad players.

Fanduel

For newer players and players who have not won consistently over a period of time, I would suggest not to expect profits or EV +. The vast majority of players lose money in DFS and only a small percentage can win over time, whether than is a year or multiple years. You can lose a lot of money if you do not exercise BR management. If you are not winning consistently after some time, then you might be EV-.

Which smaller sites would you recommend branching out to first? Any of them you particularly like (for whatever reason)?

I don't think playing on the smaller sites is going to be better than playing on FD/DK. Also if you happen to win a certain amount of money on a smaller site, you may be subject to different tax rules. At least with FD and DK you know generally how they do their taxes in event you win over $600 profit for the year. It can take extra work from an accounting matter.

In addition most people only have time for one or two sites especially if they play some volume.

Fanduel and Draftkings, but I will probably try each and every new site once so they can match my funds or whatever "check us out" offer they have.

My experience with both have been excellent so there's almost no incentive to leave. My only interest in trying others is the potential for weaker competition since "everyone" plays FD and DK. I doubt they'll be lesser players on the new sites, but I'm sure going to check it out and see what happens.

Which smaller sites would you recommend branching out to first? Any of them you particularly like (for whatever reason)?
I personally care less about convenient software than I do about making money, so I look for the weakest competition and the biggest overlays.

Last year, my sense was that the weakest competition seemed to be at ballr -- but I'm not completely certain that they'll have NFL DFS this year.

Last year, the best overlays were definitely at FantasyDraft and FantasyUp. There were some good ones at Victiv as well.

FantasyDraft and FantasyUp both gave away a lot of money last year, which isn't a sustainable business model. I don't expect them to do it again this season. But we'll see. (FantasyUp seems to be having some problems similar to ballr.)

I like the format at FantasyAces. I like using 2 QBs in GPPs, and I also think the competition there was weaker than at FanDuel or DraftKings.

I don't know what the best sites will be this year for overlays. That's something we'll have to wait to find out. My guess is that the best overlays will be at brand new sites that didn't exist last season ... but aside from Yahoo, StarsDraft (PokerStars), and CBS (different format), I haven't seen any announcements about new sites.

Maurile Tremblay said:

I personally care less about convenient software than I do about making money, so I look for the weakest competition and the biggest overlays.

Last year, my sense was that the weakest competition seemed to be at ballr -- but I'm not completely certain that they'll have NFL DFS this year.

Last year, the best overlays were definitely at FantasyDraft and FantasyUp. There were some good ones at Victiv as well.

FantasyDraft and FantasyUp both gave away a lot of money last year, which isn't a sustainable business model. I don't expect them to do it again this season. But we'll see. (FantasyUp seems to be having some problems similar to ballr.)

I like the format at FantasyAces. I like using 2 QBs in GPPs, and I also think the competition there was weaker than at FanDuel or DraftKings.

I don't know what the best sites will be this year for overlays. That's something we'll have to wait to find out. My guess is that the best overlays will be at brand new sites that didn't exist last season ... but aside from Yahoo, StarsDraft (PokerStars), and CBS (different format), I haven't seen any announcements about new sites.
FantasyUp wasn't paying. I would not play there.

My recommendation is to focus on the big two sites if you are a newer player. It could be easier at another site but if you cannot win in FD/DK you won't make it. The only thing is if the site offered no rake which CBS Sportsline has for baseball. Then that is a structural change. Still don't count on that lasting as the traditional rake is the original model.

All about Fanduel. I do prefer the scoring and lineup on DraftKings, but I also don't want to monitor my lineups into Sunday and Monday night.

Also as the market leader, I think Fanduel has a higher percentage of first time players (perhaps only slightly as compared to DraftKings but definitely compared to the smaller sites).

All about Fanduel. I do prefer the scoring and lineup on DraftKings, but I also don't want to monitor my lineups into Sunday and Monday night.

Also as the market leader, I think Fanduel has a higher percentage of first time players (perhaps only slightly as compared to DraftKings but definitely compared to the smaller sites).
Until this season, I think you are right about FD having a higher percentage of first-time players, but I think DK is closing the gap rapidly due to their massive advertising campaigns.

The major difference is that FD has a slew of H2H games that FD does not...although those are shark-infested waters in many cases.

Until this season, I think you are right about FD having a higher percentage of first-time players, but I think DK is closing the gap rapidly due to their massive advertising campaigns.

The major difference is that FD has a slew of H2H games that FD does not...although those are shark-infested waters in many cases.
DK certainly has better commercials, but I tend to see both -- although maybe DK may have more on the air.

One thing to consider for Fanduel: in 2013 they had something like 193k users during football season (I'll assume all were playing NFL, but certainly some were CFB or NBA only). Then last year for the same quarter, that number was 1 million (again will assume all played NFL).

Certainly some users joined in Q1, Q2 or Q3 of 2014 prior to the NFL season, but the number is probably small in comparison. What that means is there were up to 800k new users in 2014 who didn't play in 2013. That's 80% of new users, comprising the majority of the 1 million total.

This is speculation to some extent because users could've played previously and "rejoined" or joined during the earlier part of the year. But I think the vast majority of those 1 million were new users.

This upcoming Q4 2015, there should be a couple million number of users on FD. If you project growth rates from the past, it adds up to near 4 million. If you assume some slow down, it should still be in the 2-3 million range. I don't have the numbers to analyze DK, but I assume that they are also growing at an astonishing rate. John, do you happen to know an easy link to compare the number of users on DKs? Fanduel used to have some fairly specific and detailed financial info on their site, but no longer have it.

The take away here is that its entirely possible there are more new users on FD (and on both sites, for that matter) this NFL season than the total number of users who have played in the previous 3 Q4/Football seasons combined (70K + 193k + 1 million is just around 1.25 million).

http://www.football401k.com/4-tips-from-fanduels-financial-data/

karmarooster said:

DK certainly has better commercials, but I tend to see both -- although maybe DK may have more on the air.

One thing to consider for Fanduel: in 2013 they had something like 193k users during football season (I'll assume all were playing NFL, but certainly some were CFB or NBA only). Then last year for the same quarter, that number was 1 million (again will assume all played NFL).

Certainly some users joined in Q1, Q2 or Q3 of 2014 prior to the NFL season, but the number is probably small in comparison. What that means is there were up to 800k new users in 2014 who didn't play in 2013. That's 80% of new users, comprising the majority of the 1 million total.

This is speculation to some extent because users could've played previously and "rejoined" or joined during the earlier part of the year. But I think the vast majority of those 1 million were new users.

This upcoming Q4 2015, there should be a couple million number of users on FD. If you project growth rates from the past, it adds up to near 4 million. If you assume some slow down, it should still be in the 2-3 million range. I don't have the numbers to analyze DK, but I assume that they are also growing at an astonishing rate. John, do you happen to know an easy link to compare the number of users on DKs? Fanduel used to have some fairly specific and detailed financial info on their site, but no longer have it.

The take away here is that its entirely possible there are more new users on FD (and on both sites, for that matter) this NFL season than the total number of users who have played in the previous 3 Q4/Football seasons combined (70K + 193k + 1 million is just around 1.25 million).

In our talk with FanDuel this week, they stated that they expect to have more new users by week 5 than even played in 2014. So despite some contests getting tougher, there is a big influx of new players to soften the games as well.

One thing is the growth of information services. ESPN will have their own DFS styled show, RG will continue to add more content and grow. If there are enough new users the competition in the cash games probably won't be too difficult for an experienced player but if enough good information is out there and used the edge can be closed quickly.

to be honest, I'm kind of OK with ESPN jumping into the DFS information space. sure, it's less ideal than having nothing out there at all, and some players who may have flown under the radar before get spotlighted now, but a lot of the stuff ESPN puts out is pretty obvious, or even bad information. same with RG imo. I paid for RG incentives last season for basketball, and I was pretty underwhelmed. their daily podcast and afternoon 'grind down' or whatever they're calling it now is pretty much them going through every game on the slate and saying "yea" or "nah" to each player. just not sure how much you can do with that "information".

a good way to use the ESPN and RG stuff to your advantage is to use it in identifying smart GPP fades. as more new players jump into the space, you know these guys are going to be watching ESPN for their DFS information, because that's where your average joe goes for sports. so if Cynthia whoever is on SportsCenter touting McCoy and you see it as an average matchup in that given week, that's probably a good fade as you know McCoy will be overbought. game theory will become more and more important as information becomes more widely available.

karmarooster said:

In our talk with FanDuel this week, they stated that they expect to have more new users by week 5 than even played in 2014. So despite some contests getting tougher, there is a big influx of new players to soften the games as well.
What contests are getting "tougher"?

The Fanduel CEO is probably projecting growth in 2015 at previous rates (+400%), or more, which is likely to slow down at some point (but maybe not this year). I've heard him throw around numbers like 4-5 million users.

I found the 50/50s to not be that tough in the first half to win last year. However I think the cash games got tougher in the 2nd half and towards the end of the season. I think less fish and casuals got smarter or knew to pick certain studs.

I am optimistic as regards to the cash games but to think they will be easy is not a good view.

I'd like to hear the fanduel players take on the kicker position? I would think that added variance in itself would push experienced players to other sites.

I have no idea why any league uses kickers...so maybe I'm just blind to the advantage

Also - why would you not want to swap out a guy who was made inactive but whose game hasn't started yet?

Those seem like very strange reasons for the group that frequents this site to claim as their reasons.

I'd like to hear the fanduel players take on the kicker position? I would think that added variance in itself would push experienced players to other sites.

I have no idea why any league uses kickers...so maybe I'm just blind to the advantage

Also - why would you not want to swap out a guy who was made inactive but whose game hasn't started yet?

Those seem like very strange reasons for the group that frequents this site to claim as their reasons.
Because in most cases, I'm not going to be using a player who has a chance of being inactive at 4pm when the games lock at 1pm. Same concept for Thursday night - I'm not going to use a lineup for Thursday that includes a player who is questionable to play on Sunday. Of course, there are surprises but in general I'm already planning for that.

Likewise, a player who is questionable and has not practiced by Thursday opens up a great opportunity for the backup. E.g. last year, when DWill was "questionable" and not practicing (and had no look of playing), JStew became a great play -- and an even better play if selected on Thursday before it was confirmed Dwill would sit out -- by the time Sunday rolled around, it was obvious he was a solid play, but his ownership was much lower on Thursday because it was still uncertain. There was risk there, because if Dwill played, Jstew went back to being in a time share rather than a full-load RB1. If everyone had the ability to switch lineups, they would pile on and I would lose that advantage.

In general, this strategy is the way to approach situations where one player is iffy. Let's say Roddy White was questionable. The risky move is to stick with him and hope he plays. The similarly risky but much more likely to pay off move is to go with Harry Douglas, knowing that he's priced as a WR3 but now playing as a WR2 (I know, no longer on the team, just an example).

If Roddy plays, the upshot is you get a player who may or may not be diminished due to the injury that made him questionable to begin with, and you're paying full WR2 price for a WR2. The downside is that he may not play at all, and you get a zero.

By rolling with Douglas/Stewart, the upshot is you capitalized on a major inefficiency and get a starter for a backup price. The downside is that Roddy/DWill comes back to play, and you're getting just a backup at a backup price (but you still get an active player, so not as much downside as above).

ETA - for kickers, usually just look for one playing in a dome/decent weather on a team that will score points, ideally at not top price. Mix it up with a few options and don't rely on one. There's not much else to do other than that. Yes, it's a level of variance that I don't love. I would prefer if Fanduel kept their exact same setup and switched the Kicker for a Flex (but kept the 1pm/Thursday night lock for reasons stated above). I don't prefer Fanduel for having kickers -- I prefer Fanduel for other reasons (the lock, larger market share) and it happens to include kickers.

Yahoo has finally launched:

Football Lineup Positions9 Lineup Positions:
  • QB
  • RB
  • RB
  • WR
  • WR
  • WR
  • TE
  • FLEX
  • DEF
ScoringOffense Stat Points Passing Yards (PaYd) 0.04 Passing Touchdowns (PaTD) 4 Passing Interceptions (Int) -1 Receptions (Rec) 0.5 Receiving Yards (RecYd) 0.1 Receiving Touchdowns (RecTD) 6 Rushing Touchdowns (RuTD) 6 Rushing Yards (RuYd) 0.1 Fumbles Lost (FumL) -2 Own Fumble Return Touchdowns (OFRTD) 6 Two Pt Conversions (2PT) 2
Defense Stat Points Sacks (Sack) 1 Safeties (Safe) 2 Interceptions (Int) 2 Fumbles Recovered (FumRec) 2 Blocked Kicks (BlkKick) 2 Defensive Touchdowns (TD) 6 Kick Return Touchdowns (RetTD) 6 Two Pt Conversions (2PT) 2 Points Allowed 0 (PtsAllow0) 10 Points Allowed 1-6 (PtsAllow1-6) 7 Points Allowed 7-13 (PtsAllow7-13) 4 Points Allowed 14-20 (PtsAllow14-20) 1 Points Allowed 21-27 (PtsAllow21-27) 0 Points Allowed 28-35 (PtsAllow28-34) -1 Points Allowed 35+ (PtsAllow35+) -4

The PK doesn't trouble me all that much. Sure there is variance there, but I don't think it's that much wider than the bargain WR or TE you have to roster in some weeks. I've found that you can generally get semi-reliable outcomes by paying attention to lines and quality of kicker.

On the swap-outs, I personally don't have the time or inclination to spend big chunks of time on Sunday committed to hovering over my rosters (via laptop or phone) for a last-second scratch. I've got kids to play with, a yard and house to tend to, and a wife I like to spend some time with. I typically won't watch all the games on Sunday, but I do tend to watch the prime-time games.

Also, I really like to get some action on Thursday-Sunday contests and take a few calculated risks. If Player X is listed as questionable for a Sunday contest, most folks avoid him. Assuming he's a good value if he plays, I might roster him in a GPP or League especially if I have some reason to believe he might well play. If the masses can just add (or dump) a player at the last second, that risk/reward component is removed.

I am playing mainly on DK, but wanted to mention that I have been playing some of the freerolls over on Fantasy Draft and they are having a $250K gauranteed tournament with $20K to the winner in week 1 ($25 per entry).

I am not a fan of the site, personally, but last year they had massive overlays each week and I suspect that will also be the case this year. Not a ton of familiar DFS industry names play there, so the money making potential is better IMO. However, the user interface almost makes it not worth it.

I'm playing on DK. I'm only play big GPP tournaments and they have the biggest. Also, I hate kickers (the fantasy position not the people) and I like the flex spot combined with full PPR.

The only thing I dislike is the milestone bonuses. I can't stand them in yearly leagues and despise them in daily games. As a tournament guy I think this might be a big enough factor to make me move over to FD. But those dang kickers drive me up the wall. :D

One thing is the growth of information services. ESPN will have their own DFS styled show, RG will continue to add more content and grow. If there are enough new users the competition in the cash games probably won't be too difficult for an experienced player but if enough good information is out there and used the edge can be closed quickly.
true...but people are dumb and lazy.

Tons of health and fitness info out there...but people still eat like crap.

Ill probably mostly be on FD...but will also check out Yahoo.

I would imagine they will attract a lot of noobs who click on the popup they have on their fantasy site promoting their daily games.

Im a noob myself though...started the last few weeks of last year and profited off the little money I deposited.

I have mainly played at FD and DK in the past, but am moving a lot of my play to Victiv (now Starsdraft) due to their player rewards program and lower rake. I need to check out CBS and Yahoo and the other smaller sites still but don't have enough time to focus on too many lineups at different sites right now. DK and FD only giving 1% back in rewards points and never offering reload bonuses is not how I feel players should be treated in this industry when they give 35% of the rake to affaliates. The players deserve a better rewards program than they are currently getting and I believe is essential for the industry long-term, of course in these early growth stages the companies might not care but that is not going to last forever. For this football season I will probably have my play split pretty evenly among FD, DK and Starsdraft.

Could agree more. However, I am going to try and play some DK this year. There is probably additional edge found in adjusting lineups. When I can find a lineup I like with all early games plus monday night, I might play it. This allows me time on Monday to adjust lineups.

If you like making money, I hope you signed up for Yahoo w/ the matching bonus they're offering (which I'm sure you already saw). 200% (!!!) if you have a season-long Yahoo league up to $2k! Release is similar to DK and FD, but $4k signup bonus is by far the best out there.

I'm all about Fanduel but I feel like Yahoo is going to draw in a lot of inexperienced players via their association with standard fantasy football. Then add in the matching bonus and Yahoo looks pretty attractive.

Users who are viewing this thread