What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ready Player One (1 Viewer)

Meatwad Reloaded

Footballguy
I am pretty sure there are a few of you of have read this book, which is definitely a fun read. Anyways...Spielberg is apparently doing this as his next thing after BFG for 2017. Rumors are out today that he is currently trying to lure Gene Wilder out of retirement....nobody knows if it is for this or for voice work on BFG, but I think it would be pretty exciting to see Gene take the role of that gamemaster guy.

If you have read this book you probably know that this could be either one of the best movies of all time or the worst, depending on what licences they get or do not get and obviously who the actors are...Gene Wilder would be incredible. Personally, I would always pictured Brad Pitt playing the evil corporate guy. Tom Cruise would also be pretty sweet for that character.

I discovered this book a short while ago and loved it. I can't wait to see how they pull off the live action movie within movie scenes.

Anyone else at Comic-Con?

Or...more accurately, at the Top of the Hyatt having a cocktail during Comic-Con?

Last edited by a moderator:
Great book.  Also enjoyed Armada quite a bit.

Expected this film to be a big disappointment, but that trailer gave me some hope.

You know what they almost always say about the book being better than the movie? This trailer makes a case for the movie.  :excited:

Put me also in the can't wait crowd for this one. Just wondering how they will both include and still clip so much of the book. 

The gates needing hours of movie within movie will be interesting in how it gets handled.

I wasn't a big fan of the book.  I thought it started promisingly enough but I lost interest in the characters.  But anything by Spieberg is worth watching and it'll be interesting to see how modern film technology can bring Cline's universe to life.

ghostguy123 said:
So whats this movie about?  Never heard of the book or movie.  Trailer looks interesting.
"Film centers on a young outcast named Wade Watts. In the near future, Watts escapes from his daily drudgery by logging onto an MMO game called 'The OASIS'. When the game's billionaire founder dies, he offers players his fortune [$240 billion] as the prize in an Easter egg hunt within The OASIS. Watts gets in on the action then after five years finds himself facing off against corporate foes who will go to any lengths to get the money -- in both the real world and in The OASIS."

Was intrigued by the trailer, got the book.  Really liking the book a lot.  Fun read.  Movie looks very different.

One of the unanticipated awesome about the book is the amazing nostalgia you get while reading it.  I was born in 1971 and this book was pretty much written to people born around that time.  Halliday was born in 1972, so that makes sense.  Reading about planet Arcade and the pizza joints with arcades just brought floods of great memories back.

I wasn't a big fan of the book.  I thought it started promisingly enough but I lost interest in the characters.  But anything by Spieberg is worth watching and it'll be interesting to see how modern film technology can bring Cline's universe to life.
I thought it was literally nothing but the author name checking stuff he thought was cool.  I can hardly remember any details and I didn't read it too long ago. 

The always entertaining @mobute pretty much nails it
This guy basically concludes that my childhood was a vapid wasteland of schlock.  Well, it may be, but #### him.  I like the popular culture I grew up with.

Spielberg rarely puts out something of low quality (to say the least), so I'm definitely interested.  If they get Gene Wilder in I'm a night one attendee.

Freddy Krueger 
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory was in there, probably to woo Gene.

Last edited by a moderator:
This guy basically concludes that my childhood was a vapid wasteland of schlock.  Well, it may be, but #### him.  I like the popular culture I grew up with.

Spielberg rarely puts out something of low quality (to say the least), so I'm definitely interested.  If they get Gene Wilder in I'm a night one attendee.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was in there, probably to woo Gene.
I agree.  I read the book and loved it for the celebration of my childhood/teen years.  No much awesome in it.  Don't care if others hate it or think it is crap. 

Really hope they nail this one.  Loved the book,  but it's written for my demographic. 

I thought it was literally nothing but the author name checking stuff he thought was cool.  I can hardly remember any details and I didn't read it too long ago. 
I am with you here.  Interesting idea, but I got bored and found myself skimming.  Enders Game is another one i felt that way about that seemed to be well loved. 

I am with you here.  Interesting idea, but I got bored and found myself skimming.  Enders Game is another one i felt that way about that seemed to be well loved. 
Did you first read Ender's Game as an adult?  I first read Ender's Game in junior high and loved it the way any smart kid who secretly thinks he should run the world would.  It has aged badly in many ways.  The subplot of Peter and Valentine adopting pseudonyms and transforming society by a series of political discourses on the internet just reads hysterical now.  They'd have to start adding cat memes to get more than 10 clicks.  Re-reading it as an adult was depressing.  Even more depressing was starting the second round of sequels (where they tell the story from Bean's perspective).  Because apparently, Ender wasn't  enough of a Mary Sue.  

Did you first read Ender's Game as an adult?  I first read Ender's Game in junior high and loved it the way any smart kid who secretly thinks he should run the world would.  It has aged badly in many ways.  The subplot of Peter and Valentine adopting pseudonyms and transforming society by a series of political discourses on the internet just reads hysterical now.  They'd have to start adding cat memes to get more than 10 clicks.  Re-reading it as an adult was depressing.  Even more depressing was starting the second round of sequels (where they tell the story from Bean's perspective).  Because apparently, Ender wasn't  enough of a Mary Sue.  
I did, and that's probably a big part of the issue right there.  I guess seeing and reading similar things had me guess the twist early on too, so I found it dull reading for the most part.  

This is somewhat interesting to me because I loved both these books, and you didn't.  But I think it was you that turned me on to the book "The Windup Girl" and I really like that.

This is somewhat interesting to me because I loved both these books, and you didn't.  But I think it was you that turned me on to the book "The Windup Girl" and I really like that.
It wasn't me that suggested it.  I have it on my list of books to read, but haven't read it yet.   Unless I just posted and asked about opinions on my list of scifi/dystopian books I have seen.  

It wasn't me that suggested it.  I have it on my list of books to read, but haven't read it yet.   Unless I just posted and asked about opinions on my list of scifi/dystopian books I have seen.  
Hmm, I could have sworn it was you, but I don't keep as good a notebook as other people.

Super excited for this one.  Worried that it's going to be a let down but the trailer looked really good.  Really hoping for another one when I go to see Star Wars this week.

I read the book today and it was decent.  It started really strong but felt really rushed at times.  I am looking forward to the movie.

Agreed. Not a great book but a decent read for the references.  Atari, Trash80, Rush, war Games,etc.

You must've skipped Indy 4.  

One of the unanticipated awesome about the book is the amazing nostalgia you get while reading it.  I was born in 1971 and this book was pretty much written to people born around that time.  Halliday was born in 1972, so that makes sense.  Reading about planet Arcade and the pizza joints with arcades just brought floods of great memories back.
Same here, also '71.  The Yar's Revenge mention was awesome.  I loved that game.  Not to mention the Adventure Easter egg - that was the coolest thing going.  

Users who are viewing this thread