What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 2-2-1 RB strategy (1 Viewer)

AcerFC

Footballguy
I dont want to give away subscriber content. Really interested to hear of people think this can work. I am very intrigued.

Meh. I think you'll be wasting two roster spots with back-ups all year long. I'd rather have those spots free for someone decent and possible from a different team.

Meh. I think you'll be wasting two roster spots with back-ups all year long. I'd rather have those spots free for someone decent and possible from a different team.
even in todays wr heaven nfl. I honestly cant decide. I'm leaning lock down > random dude who I'm hoping might play if two other guys fail

It could work if you were totally confident in who the back-ups would be and that one guy would get the bulk of the touches. However, like we saw with Ray Rice, AP, Montee Bal and others, it isn't always so clear who is the RB own as a handcuff. There are a select few guys I would really trust to work with this.

Ilov80s said:
eoMMan said:
It could work if you were totally confident in who the back-ups would be and that one guy would get the bulk of the touches. However, like we saw with Ray Rice, AP, Montee Bal and others, it isn't always so clear who is the RB own as a handcuff. There are a select few guys I would really trust to work with this.
list them

Ilov80s said:
eoMMan said:
list them
Off the top of my head:Charles-Davis

Lacy- Starks

Alf- Jones

Ingram-Robinson

Murray-Matthews

I would rather use those two spots on players on other teams I think have high upside. As was said before you are wasting two roster spots to cover a possible injury.

AcerFC said:
I dont want to give away subscriber content. Really interested to hear of people think this can work. I am very intrigued.
I sort of accidentally did this in a dynasty league. I had Murray, Matthews, Jennings, and Vereen going into the off-season. Once they doubled up, I traded most of my older depth since I figured I was covered for injury. We'll see how it goes.

I would rather use those two spots on players on other teams I think have high upside. As was said before you are wasting two roster spots to cover a possible injury.
i understand what you are saying and mostly agree. Just remember the other side of the coin. If Lacy gets hurt, Starks isn't a wasted roster spot and late in the draft most high upside picks are cut within a few weeks anyway because their floor is basically 0. Also, at the point you would be taking most of the handcuff backs, they are the upside plays at RB.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is interesting to me. I already have Bell as a keeper, and I'm been debating between Charles/Julio at the #2 pick. I'd have my two studs, could make sure to get Davis and Williams later to handcuff them, maybe try to grab someone like Ellington or Spiller in the 4th or 5th round, then focus heavy on vet WR's in the middle rounds. Going to play with it in DD.

the article's first example was pairing lynch and charles.... which is not even possible in a snake draft. unless the backup is a proven commodity (i.e. knile davis type) i'd rather not handcuff my top RB and would rather take a flier on the WW flavor of the week.... if those types of RB's can gain viable fantasy roles they either a) give you depth or b) become nice trade pieces to fix other parts of your lineup.

the article's first example was pairing lynch and charles.... which is not even possible in a snake draft. unless the backup is a proven commodity (i.e. knile davis type) i'd rather not handcuff my top RB and would rather take a flier on the WW flavor of the week.... if those types of RB's can gain viable fantasy roles they either a) give you depth or b) become nice trade pieces to fix other parts of your lineup.
I think that was just the example so people understood the premise. Is it strictly handcuffing, im not sure. He tries to say its more intricate.

Good discussion in here though

I like this strategy for larger leagues. I wouldn't do it in a 12-team flex league, but in a 16-team 2RB league it has its merits, because if you lose your RB in a 16-team league, you are screwed.

A couple examples I like are CJ Anderson-Ball and Doug Martin-Rainey. I think Hillman and Sims will be relegated to role players, whereas the healthy one of other two guys will get most of the snaps.

One thing to remember about the 2-2-1 strategy is you have to ensure your three starting RB's all have different bye weeks. Otherwise you'll end up starting a pair like Anderson-Ball or Martin-Rainey.

I also used this strategy by accident in a 14 team redraft league before realizing there was an article outlining the tactic. I drafted WR/WR in the opening rounds, so I had to figure out some sort of mid-round RB strategy to compensate for it.

I decided to target Houston's ground game, figuring that Houston's QB situation is so dire no matter who gets the starting nod that they'd be forced to rely on running the ball more. So after picking up Melvin Gordon in the 5th round, I took Alfred blue at the end of the 6th rd and then grabbed Foster on the way back in the 7th. Short of Polk upsetting the mix, this should allow me to lock up a high volume ground game regardless of who starts. I just hope the higher volume can compensate somewhat for defenses stacking the box, forcing Houston to win through the air (which was pretty much the way things went for the Texans last year anyway, so nothing really new there...).

We'll see how it pans out....

One thing to remember about the 2-2-1 strategy is you have to ensure your three starting RB's all have different bye weeks. Otherwise you'll end up starting a pair like Anderson-Ball or Martin-Rainey.
It seems to be a very restrictive strategy. For one thing you have to target only those specific RBs that have solid and stable "handcuffs" while also worrying about the above quoted dilemma.

So to me any strategy where you need to work so hard and potentially pass up good value on draft day to implement it effectively doesn't seem sound to me.

Basically the point of the strategy is to have your RBs set for the season. Knowing your RBs are set allows you to focus on your other positions in FA. It sounds like an interesting idea but I'm not sure I would like how my draft ended up while implementing this strategy.

Personally, I understand the strategy behind Ingel's article but I don't agree with it's success. Of the "2" options there are 3 viable options I see (Lynch/Michael, Charles/Davis, Gurley/Mason). The others seem poor ADP choices or the 'backup' would likely change their schemes.

I prefer to mix and match according to upside for the year (*in redrafts). Also depending on what slot you are in 1-12 would determine a better strategy to implement. In one redraft I have the 12th pick so I won't think about RBs, unless CJ anderson falls to me, until the 3/4th bend and hope to snag Miller.

I like one strong RB1 with several RB3/4s with upside. Example: Miller 3rd, Bernard 6th, Mason 8th, KDavis 10th, Matt Jones 14th;

It seems to be a very restrictive strategy. For one thing you have to target only those specific RBs that have solid and stable "handcuffs" while also worrying about the above quoted dilemma.

So to me any strategy where you need to work so hard and potentially pass up good value on draft day to implement it effectively doesn't seem sound to me.
Agreed.

Its a tactic to essentially lock-up the bulk of the rushing from a few teams. As has already been mentioned, it only makes sense (if at all) in the case of teams with good running games where the backup is not only clearly defined but also good. Its tough enough these days to pin down the primary ball carrier let alone who will be primary if the "starter" goes down. In many cases, if the starting back goes down, it becomes all hands on deck to get by and no one player can be relied on week-to-week. And you can easily find yourself in the unenviable pickle of having two (possibly more) RBs from the same team and still not know you're getting the production any given week. To use the Houston example posted by someone earlier, what happens when Foster is questionable, Blue is GTD and Polk or Grimes stand to split the carries if Blue and Foster indeed miss? How many of those guys you wanna have on your team to try to make sure you get the rushing stats from Houston that week?

It can work but I think it limits the ceiling of a fantasy team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, after making a few traded tonight, I now own two complete teams RBs

Drafted M Lynch and traded Woodhead and Gates for Eifert and Fred Jackson

Then I traded for Lacy and swapped K Davis for Starks with the Jamal owner.

Have to say, I like knowing I have the insurance if need be

I have A Foster, M Jones, Dion Lewis and C Michael as lottery tickets and upside guys.

Users who are viewing this thread