What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ESPN apologizes to Patriots in the middle of the night (1 Viewer)

From Steve Balestrieri

"With the news of the Deflate-gate saga airing constantly on every news and sports show, ESPN has been consistently airing erroneous and libelous information for the past several weeks. The network has been reporting that the Patriots taped the Rams walk-thru prior to Super Bowl XXXVI.

This lie has been around since the Spygate story broke in 2007 by John Tomase of the Boston Herald reported it. It was proved to be false back then, Tomase admitted so much but a lie repeated often enough becomes the truthespecially in the highly sensitive area when it comes to the Patriots..

Hannah Storm reported this on-air just last week while having a conversation with Mike Ditka. She then took to Twitter, not the airwaves to retract her statement.

The network has still yet to correct the erroneous Mort Report of the Patriots having 11 of their 12 footballs being over 2 PSI under the league mandate during the AFC Championship Game in January.

But last night, while America slept, the network issued an apology at 12:20 a.m."

Really? no crying ex-QBs on prime-time, no ex-players with axes to grind.Steve Levy at 12:20 a.m.?

- See more at: http://www.patsfans.com/patriots/blog/2015/08/20/espn-apologizes-to-the-patriots-sort-of/#.dpuf

Get caught and punished for cheating often enough, and the specifics start to get blurry. Props to ESPN, who could have gone with, "We accidentally cited the wrong sort of cheating." :shrug:

Get caught and punished for cheating often enough, and the specifics start to get blurry. Props to ESPN, who could have gone with, "We accidentally cited the wrong sort of cheating." :shrug:
More like, "Just how in bed is this network with the league?" Hell, they fired everybody who who spoke against Goodell in the last year...

If only there were a way to make sure news outlets didn't incorrectly report the facts about the Patriots' cheating.

Last edited by a moderator:
They've been caught cheating multiple times. People are going to assume the worst and be correct the vast majority of the time. Sorry, but I would tell my 13 yr old the same thing. If you want people to trust you, don't lie, cheat, or steal. If you do any of those things, don't be upset when you are deemed untrustworthy.

And I find it hilarious that Pats fans are complaining about ESPN not playing by the rules.

They've been caught cheating multiple times. People are going to assume the worst and be correct the vast majority of the time. Sorry, but I would tell my 13 yr old the same thing. If you want people to trust you, don't lie, cheat, or steal. If you do any of those things, don't be upset when you are deemed untrustworthy.

And I find it hilarious that Pats fans are complaining about ESPN not playing by the rules.
Yep, at some point you lose the benefit of the doubt. This goes for ESPN and the Patriots actually - nothing I hear about either would really surprise me at this point.

:yes: there's a reason certain celebrities have rumors cirulating around them while others are able to keep their private lives mostly out of the limelight.

"sorry, not sorry?"

Fun time for ESPN employee Tony Dungee to come out with a charming recollection of how Manning thought he was being bugged in the Pats' locker room...

How come ESPN analyst Teddy Bruschi hasn't been able to weigh in on deflategate?
He did, I saw him on TV defending Brady regarding deflategate.
On ESPN?
I don't remember which network I saw it, but it was shortly after the incident was reported.
I don't believe it was on ESPN. Teddy rub your nose if your in trouble.
No Teddy ... you're nose!

How come ESPN analyst Teddy Bruschi hasn't been able to weigh in on deflategate?
He did, I saw him on TV defending Brady regarding deflategate.
On ESPN?
I don't remember which network I saw it, but it was shortly after the incident was reported.
I don't believe it was on ESPN. Teddy rub your nose if your in trouble.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAEHi-83azY

Patriot fans' paranoia continues to run deep. Guys, people aren't randomly picking on you. People hate cheaters. Sorry if that's upsetting to you. Switch teams if it bothers you. Plenty of teams out there that play by the rules.

I can speak most patriots fans. No one is paranoid around these parts. I thinks it comical how much this dynasty is hated. It's been 15 years of dominance.

I can speak most patriots fans. No one is paranoid around these parts. I thinks it comical how much this dynasty is hated. It's been 15 years of dominance.
I think you are mis-interpreting the reason why they are hated. At least for most of us, it has nothing to do with their success. For me, it is due to their arrogant denial of the facts when caught red-handed. Robert Kraft made himself look like a complete ### when he was blasting the NFL for even insinuating that Tom Brady could be capable of cheating. Well, it's glaringly apparent that he did. If Brady had simply come out in the beginning of the Deflate-gate controversy and said "Of course I had them deflate the balls a fractional amount. I don't know a QB in the league that DOESN'T taylor the footballs to his liking", this would have been over with in the first few days.

Instead the whole organization jumped on their collective soap boxes and acted like pompous douchebags while the evidence stacked up against them. I can't even find Patriots fans that don't think Brady had those poor guys deflate the footballs to his liking. Their main argument is the same as mine ... "So what. He deflated the footballs a little. Not a big deal".

But the Patriots arrogance is what turned this into a big deal. And just when you thought they couldn't be bigger #######s, they fired the guys they told to deflate the footballs while continuing to deny that the footballs were even deflated. Figure that one out.

One championship in ten years? And their MVP was Pete Carroll. Wow. Dominance. Break up the Pats.

Last edited by a moderator:
One championship in ten years? And their MVP was Pete Carroll. Wow. Dominance. Break up the Pats.
Or.

A regular season record of 170-54

9 AFC championship appearances with 6 titles

6 Super Bowl appearances with 4 rings

12 AFC east championships

12 playoff appearances

But whatever you want to consider dominance.

Or.

A regular season record of 170-54

12 playoff appearances

One championship in the last ten years. And it was a gift. That's not dominance.

They have been consistently good. I'll give you that.

Or.A regular season record of 170-54

12 playoff appearances

One championship in the last ten years. And it was a gift. That's not dominance. They have been consistently good. I'll give you that.
The kind of gift the Giants got??

Thankfully this thread exists. The other deflategate thread was becoming less salty and I need hater tears for my afternoon tea.

12 playoff appearances

One championship in the last ten years. And it was a gift. That's not dominance. They have been consistently good. I'll give you that.
I must have missed Belichick's monumentally horrible play call against the Giants.

12 playoff appearances

I must have missed Belichick's monumentally horrible play call against the Giants.
We can go back and forth I was just proving a point. Put the hatred aside and any knowledgable football fan would agree the pats have been dominant for the last 15 years

dansav said:
JuniorNB said:
dansav said:
JuniorNB said:
dansav said:
JuniorNB said:
dansav said:

12 playoff appearances

We can go back and forth I was just proving a point. Put the hatred aside and any knowledgable football fan would agree the pats have been dominant for the last 15 years
Dominant in Brady's first four years. Consistently good since. Sorry, but a team can't be considered dominant when they've only won it once in ten years.,

purestrength said:
To me, Adam Schefter sounds like he's rooting for Brady's suspension to be wiped out. If anything, ESPN seems pro-Patriots.
Yeah, it's almost as if he thinks a SINGLE football a couple of psi off shouldn't carry twice the penalty of a guy behind the wheel of a car on drugs endangering peoples lives. That Schefter is nuts!

JohnnyU said:
dansav said:
Do you think they will ever cheat again in your lifetime?
I don't think they will ever throw an entire NFL season to draft a certain quarterback in my lifetime. Do you know any teams that have done that in your lifetime?

Old Smiley said:
Freelove said:
More like, "Just how in bed is this network with the league?" Hell, they fired everybody who who spoke against Goodell in the last year...
Not just good posting, GREAT posting. The fact ESPN holds Goodell above criticism tells you all you need to know about both the netwotk and the man. At least you can use the national enquirer to line your birdcage or help start a campfire. I honestly have no idea what ESPN is good for.

I didn't think it was possible but the network is starting to even sully the image of steven a. smith.

JohnnyU said:
dansav said:
I don't think they will ever throw an entire NFL season to draft a certain quarterback in my lifetime. Do you know any teams that have done that in your lifetime?
Is this even possible? Who did you think was complicit? How do you talk a head coach into that? Caldwell got fired right after the season. If I agreed to tank a season I'd want some guarantee I was going to get to reap the benefits the next few seasons.

Old Smiley said:
Freelove said:

spot on

JohnnyU said:
dansav said:
Is this even possible? Who did you think was complicit? How do you talk a head coach into that? Caldwell got fired right after the season. If I agreed to tank a season I'd want some guarantee I was going to get to reap the benefits the next few seasons.
You are right, if you are trying towin an NFL game(or maybe even two?) the best replacement to possibly start a game for your franchise is a broken down 39 year old Kerry Collins. The front office put forth a herculean effort to win that season. I am surprised they didn't bring in Ken Stabler.

I have no idea what you are blathering on about with the coach. Do you think Bill Walsh could have "coached up" Painter and Collins from his golden girl years to win more than a couple of games on that team that was built to completely revolve around the QB position?

JohnnyU said:
dansav said:
I can see the Patriots not fielding their best team once Brady hangs up the cleats if someone as good as Luck will be in the next draft. I wouldn't blame them if they did. It's not like it would have been in the best interest of the Colts to go out and trade for a good veteran QB once Manning went down. That is just bad business given the perceived strength of that QBs coming in the next draft.

espn doesn't check any sources anymore, they try to so hard to be the first major outlet out with news that if they merely get a whiff of something they report it. example Chris Mortensen..........guy used to be good but now he literally is throwing #### at the wall and seeing if it sticks

JohnnyU said:
dansav said:
You are right, if you are trying towin an NFL game(or maybe even two?) the best replacement to possibly start a game for your franchise is a broken down 39 year old Kerry Collins. The front office put forth a herculean effort to win that season. I am surprised they didn't bring in Ken Stabler.

I have no idea what you are blathering on about with the coach. Do you think Bill Walsh could have "coached up" Painter and Collins from his golden girl years to win more than a couple of games on that team that was built to completely revolve around the QB position?
Blathering? Only one of us is blathering, fool. So your entire premise is based on their QB selection? By not bringing in a better FA (of which I recall none), that action alone is how they tanked an entire season. Geez.

JohnnyU said:
dansav said:
You are right, if you are trying towin an NFL game(or maybe even two?) the best replacement to possibly start a game for your franchise is a broken down 39 year old Kerry Collins. The front office put forth a herculean effort to win that season. I am surprised they didn't bring in Ken Stabler.I have no idea what you are blathering on about with the coach. Do you think Bill Walsh could have "coached up" Painter and Collins from his golden girl years to win more than a couple of games on that team that was built to completely revolve around the QB position?
Blathering? Only one of us is blathering, fool. So your entire premise is based on their QB selection? By not bringing in a better FA (of which I recall none), that action alone is how they tanked an entire season. Geez.
Nevermind, you are right. There are no possible options to acquire a QB better than a 39yo Kerry Collins as his QB rating of ~65 clearly indicates. I am obviously a "fool" and you are clearly a genius. Well done.

Users who are viewing this thread