What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official* - Jeremy Langford (1 Viewer)

TZMarkie

Footballguy
Upon using the search function, I didn't see any threads for this guy.

I had my "keep it in the back of my mind" thoughts about him weeks ago, but tonight he has looked great in preseason action.

Generally I shy away from rookies, merely taking a flier or two at the end of drafts, just hoping to get lucky.

The more I think about this situation with Forte aging, and parts of the organization in what appears to be in disarray, I am thinking more and more about nabbing this guy in spots.

This very well could be a lottery ticket, in the event of a Forte injury.

Sure Forte has generally been healthy, but sooner or later father time will slow him. With the problems in the organization this may be a time to take a long shot pluck on this guy late in drafts, and hope the Bears try and "see what they have" later in the season.

FWIW- Ka'Deem Carey has underwhelmed so far, and I think we all know what Jaquizz Rodgers is at this point, do we not?

Thoughts????

TZM

Last edited by a moderator:
I drafted him in one dynasty league.

1) Forte is 30 and in a contract year.

2) Carey drafted by the prior regime, Fox has zero ties to him.

3) Langford was the forgotten fourth round back coming from a conference in which Gordon, Abdullah and Coleman went in the first, second and third round.

4) A late bloomer, his two year 40 TD total destroyed the previous MSU record by 10 (same school as Le'Veon Bell).

5) His streak of multiple TDs in his last 7 games led the FBS.

6) His 15 straight regular season conference 100+ yard rushing games was the longest streak in the nearly two decades since the stat was tracked in '96.

7) Fastest RB at combine with a 4.42 40.

8) He can block and catch as a former DB and WR, only played RB two seasons, has upside once he learns positional nuances.

Thank you for the info Bob Magaw.

From what I saw last week, the kid looked good in spots.

If I were to draft Forte this year, this kid would likely be a late round flier, if I were looking to handcuff.

I don't know if I will have Forte anywhere though, since I tend to go WR-WR early.

I haven't had the right scheduling to watch much preseason action this year, but I will definitely get some RedZone in tonight, and The Bears are of course playing.

Typically I try and watch as many backup RB's and 3rd stringers that I can in preseason, and hopefully we get to see more of Langford tonight.

My only question is Jaquizz Rodgers, but as I alluded to before, from his usage in Atlanta I think its a safe bet he will never be a true fantasy difference maker.

Tonight could be interesting, especially for those here that have shares of Forte.

TZM

I drafted him in one dynasty league.

1) Forte is 30 and in a contract year.

2) Carey drafted by the prior regime, Fox has zero ties to him.

3) Langford was the forgotten fourth round back coming from a conference in which Gordon, Abdullah and Coleman went in the first, second and third round.

4) A late bloomer, his two year 40 TD total destroyed the previous MSU record by 10 (same school as Le'Veon Bell).

5) His streak of multiple TDs in his last 7 games led the FBS.

6) His 15 straight regular season conference 100+ yard rushing games was the longest streak in the nearly two decades since the stat was tracked in '96.

7) Fastest RB at combine with a 4.42 40.

8) He can block and catch as a former DB and WR, only played RB two seasons, has upside once he learns positional nuances.
9) Carey is garbage

I'm with you guys on Langford. Forte is/has been a great RB, but as has been said, he is older and has had a lot of wear and tear. My big point though is that Forte has always been better in space and not a great inside runner. With a new coaching staff, I can see them making this a timeshare with someone who will hit the holes harder than Forte.

I live in Chicago and watched Langford closely last week, and I was impressed. The biggest thing I saw was him finishing runs well with subtle body positioning moves.

I had an auction last night with only 15 roster spots, so I didn't add him..,but in my 20 roster spot draft (12 team) next week, I think he'd make a nice pick in the last 3-4 rounds.

I'm with you guys on Langford. Forte is/has been a great RB, but as has been said, he is older and has had a lot of wear and tear. My big point though is that Forte has always been better in space and not a great inside runner. With a new coaching staff, I can see them making this a timeshare with someone who will hit the holes harder than Forte.

I live in Chicago and watched Langford closely last week, and I was impressed. The biggest thing I saw was him finishing runs well with subtle body positioning moves.

I had an auction last night with only 15 roster spots, so I didn't add him..,but in my 20 roster spot draft (12 team) next week, I think he'd make a nice pick in the last 3-4 rounds.
Not to rain on your parade, but Fox has a long, long history of holding rookies back, even when they look superior to the starter. Langford could be a great dynasty guy, but they Luke also draft their back of the future next year or bring someone in via FA.

Great handcuff for this year and a worthy dynasty dart, just wouldn't get my hopes up long term for a 4th rounder.

I don't really disagree. For this year, barring injury to Forte, I think Langford will hurt Forte's value more than having his own standalone value with a healthy Forte. I like guys who I can see having more than just one path to relevance. I can just see the scenario where Langford frustrates Forte owners by getting more than just the typical backup rb volume...including some goal line carries. My main takeaway though may be that I won't have Forte on any teams this year.

JEREMY LANGFORD, Michigan State 5-11 ½, 209, 4.41

Took a flyer in a dynasty league based on speed.

Situation isn't the greatest with Fox being set in his ways favoring vets but last year C.J. Anderson got a shot so anything is possible but more than likely he's a longer term flyer.

Not to rain on your parade, but Fox has a long, long history of holding rookies back, even when they look superior to the starter. Langford could be a great dynasty guy, but they Luke also draft their back of the future next year or bring someone in via FA.

Great handcuff for this year and a worthy dynasty dart, just wouldn't get my hopes up long term for a 4th rounder.
JFS makes a great point about Fox, and don't forget that they grabbed veteran FA, Jacquizz Rodgers in the off season. If Forte goes down they will likely go RBBC with Rodgers getting the bulk of the work.

I don't think that Langford has any value this year, but love him in dynasty. Fox will be done marinating him right around the time Forte is ready to hang up his cleats.

Their isn't a lot of NFL information yet on Jeremy Langford but I saw a few mentions that the Bears wanted a young guy at RB because Matt Forte was 29 years old. I thought he was younger so naturally I assumed he just turned 29 but his birthday is in December so he turns 30 this season.

After finding out Forte is going to turn 30 I did a bit more digging to check into his injury history but he has only missed 5 games in his 7 year career so he is very durable. I saw some more information suggesting that it made a lot of sense for the Bears to draft a young RB like Jeremy Langford.

Here is a good read on why Matt Forte might have started to slide. This article predicts a decline will happen soon.

http://read:https://www.numberfire.com/nfl/lists/5869/7-players-to-avoid-in-fantasy-football-drafts/todd-gurley-rb-st-louis-rams-1

...It’s worrisome when you see a running back post a 3.9 yards per carry clip, and mortifying to find out that his yards per carry average is dipping while his run blocking improved.

... Since 2000, only 20 running backs have accumulated 280-plus touches in their age-29 season. Of that 20 running backs sample, 13 saw their Rushing NEP per rush decline the next year, four had seasons ended by injury, and only three saw NEP per rush efficiency improvement.

Of the three who were able to increase their efficiency, none had as many touches (2,260) as Forte has accumulated over his seven-year career. In addition to the litany of bumps and bruises that come with 2,260 career touches, Forte had himself a workload at Tulane, accumulating 996 collegiate touches, a total only bested by one running back in the 2015 draft (David Johnson, 1,007 touches). Needless to say, a decline in rushing efficiency is on the horizon.

With Mark Trestman leaving town, a decrease in rushing efficiency won’t be able to be propped up by a gluttonous role in the passing game.

ESPN also expresses concern Forte could soon see a decline based on his age an usage.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/11278/matt-forte

...Coach John Fox has pledged to reduce Forte's snap count this season by working offseason acquisitions Jeremy Langford and Jacquizz Rodgers into the backfield mix, but has also stated a commitment to run the ball more, which may in effect keep Forte's 2014 totals of 266 carries and 1,038 rushing yards relatively stable. Instead, it's the passing game where Forte -- who set an NFL record for catches by a running back (102) last season -- figures to see the starkest decline in production, especially with a similarly skilled pass catcher like Rodgers in the fold.

ESPN Fantasy Projection: In 2014, Marc Trestman's offense propelled Forte to the record for RB receptions in a season (102). But it was still a frustrating year. He averaged his fewest yards per carry since 2009 as the run game found little rhythm behind a regressing O-line. New coach John Fox is likely to prefer a more run-oriented attack, and if Forte avoids injury, he has a shot to lead the NFL in touches and score double-digit TDs for the third straight year. But Forte has had at least 250 touches in all seven of his pro seasons and turns 30 in December. Although he's been nothing but solid lately, we're concerned his cliff could come fast.
With Fox saying he will run more and also saying he will reduce Forte's snap count the pie gets bigger but Fox has said that Forte's slice will be smaller so its possible that rookie RB Jeremy Langford could earn a bigger role as a rookie than I first thought.

So far tonight Chicago rookie RB Jeremy Langford in the second quarter.

6 carries for 47 yards

Not bad especially considering the rest of the Bears have rushed for a combined 8 carries for 21 yards.

Rotoworld:

Bears rookie Jeremy Langford rushed nine times for 55 yards in the Bears' preseason finale.

He put a bow on his first NFL preseason with 153 yards on 28 runs (5.46 YPC), adding three receptions for 30 yards. Since a slow exhibition opener, Langford has begun to put heat on Jacquizz Rodgers for the Bears' primary backup job behind Matt Forte. In the event of a Forte injury, we suspect Rodgers and Langford would share time. Ka'Deem Carey could be the odd man out.

Sep 3 - 11:13 PM

We have a Jeremy Langford sighting.....

Sounds like the Bears will be using their other backs here and there in an effort to keep Forte fresh as the season progresses.

Currently 6 for 21 today and a TD in the first half.

TZM

Bears traded away DE Jared Allen and last night they traded LB Jon Bostic. ESPN has postulated trading away RB Matt Forte who turns 30 and did not get a contract extension so at the end of this year he is scheduled to become a free agent.

Normally I brush off rumors like this but since the Bears traded Jared Allen and Jon Bostic and it doesn't seem like they will re-sign Forte... Well it sorta does make sense that Forte 'could' be on the trade market which would open the doors for rookie RB Jeremy Langford.

Interesting. I drafted this kid in all dy dynasty and keeper leagues for 2016. It would be a pleasant surprise for some 2015 value..

http://chicago.suntimes.com/bears-football/7/71/1008348/bears-sunday-playbook-jeremy-langford-bides-time-peace

Bears Sunday Playbook: Jeremy Langford bides his time in peace​

... Langford, of course, remains the more intriguing option because he’s the rookie who flashed the breakaway speed that general manager Ryan Pace values in the preseason.

An 0-3 record also has many looking beyond 2015. The Bears already have two rookies, defensive lineman Eddie Goldman and safety Adrian Amos, playing plenty on defense. With receiver Kevin White injured, Langford is the only offensive rookie to get excited about.

Gase had personnel groupings with Langford and Forte ready for the Seahawks, but he held back because of what Seattle’s was showing in certain situations.

“[Langford] understands the situation of who our starting running back is, who he’s in the room with, and I don’t think he has any problem,” Gase said. “I know when he gets on the field he’s exciting. He’ll give us everything we ask him.”

It didn’t help that the Bears had considerably less offensive plays against the Seahawks than their first two games. There could be more chances for Langford against the Raiders. After three weeks, Oakland has the No. 13 run defense (91.7 yards per game), but they are last in total defense (414.7 yards).

Langford finds Gase’s offense a good fit for his strengths. It’s similar to what he ran at Michigan State.

“We didn’t have too much zone-read [option], but it was pretty much an inside zone, which is pretty much the same concept,” Langford said. “We had a pro style offense in college. The only thing really different is that there is a couple more pass protections that you’re responsible for.”

So Langford patiently waits.

“It’s a long season,” Langford said. “Whenever my number gets called again, I’ve got to be prepared.”

what do people think of Langford? both in redraft and also dynasty?
I would imagine most here have an interest. I've followed him from the preseason when he busted off some long runs. Went back, checked his measurable and he posted the fastest 40 at the Combine. Then I checked on the status of Forte and discovered that he was/is very durable but he is older than I thought and has a ton of mileage and Matt's contract is up so to get an extension he would have to not show any slow-down or get injured.

Redraft - The Bears were giving Forte 24 touches a game so right now it looks like he'll get an opportunity but Matt will more than likely be coming back but Bears don't have a BYE to rest him up so that could linger or hamper him over the remainder of the season so the backfield could get clouded if Matt comes back and he's not 100%.

Dynasty - The Bears were considering trading Forte so it seemed to hint they won't extend his contract after this year so I'm higher on his long-term prospects because of Forte's, age, contract, and now knee injury enters picture. Bears seem to like him and writing is on the wall especially if Langford plays well now that he will get a shot.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14029061/matt-forte-chicago-bears-game-knee-injury

Bears running back Matt Forte leaves game with knee injury​

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14029152/the-big-names-went-injuries-week-8-nfl

Matt Forte, RB, Chicago Bears: Forte walked to the locker room under his own power midway through the third quarter, but the Bears still ruled him out for the game with a knee injury. The dual-threat RB was averaging more than 24 touches per game through Week 7, so the Bears will have to significantly alter their game plan if he misses significant time.​

Think he'll fit in nicely. Has good hands even with that egregious drop at the end of last week. Not quick like Forte but is fast and finishes plays. Definite RB2 this week against SD. I've got my claim in but doubt he slips to me.

Forte injury not serious from what I read, this guy is a 2-3 week play as it stands right now, is this not correct?

Also had a really bad drop, so I don't how confident they are in his receiving abilities.

Forte injury not serious from what I read, this guy is a 2-3 week play as it stands right now, is this not correct?

Also had a really bad drop, so I don't how confident they are in his receiving abilities.
Yeah, that's what I'm hearing. But Forte is a free agent and the Bears aren't going anywhere this year. Three strong games and you never know what might happen.

Yeah, that's what I'm hearing. But Forte is a free agent and the Bears aren't going anywhere this year. Three strong games and you never know what might happen.
So he is playing for money then. I wouldn't expect him to sit.

And Langford is auditioning for a starter's position. I don't expect him to take the job, but I do expect RB2 output while he's in there. Running back friendly offense.

And Langford is auditioning for a starter's position. I don't expect him to take the job, but I do expect RB2 output while he's in there. Running back friendly offense.
The absolute best case here is a RBBC IMO, and honestly I think that even in that case, it would still be a 2-1 split.

You can use your priority/fa$ on him, I'm personally not.

it will be interesting to see how long forte is on the shelf. I think Langford will produce just fine as long as he gets all of the work ala Forte. He impressed many during the pre-season. but unless he goes all Todd Gurley on the NFL during forte's absence I'd have to guess forte would at a minimum retain a 2 to 1 touch advantage when he is healthy

Chicago RB Jeremy Langford got 12 rushes last week in only about a half so he 'could' get up to 20 carries if he plays the entire game but on the year he only has 2 receptions and on the 15 carries before last week, he had 2 TDs so he's a very legit goal line threat to score.

I don't think Forte plays this week. So just for this week, it is reasonable to expect around 15 carries and maybe 1 reception for a combined 60 to 65 yards with a legit shot at 1 TD.

That's my concern, too. Dropping that crossing route was a huge one, and could have some ramifications in the number of touches he gets as a receiver.
Game was basically on the line.
Maybe they'll just chalk it up to a rookie mistake, because supposedly he normally has very good hands,
he does, and you have to remember, during a normal week he is getting #2 RB reps.

SD is terrible against the run, awful. maybe they sprinkle in Jaquizz some as a 3rd down rb.

They're confident is his catching ability. It was a bad drop but just one drop.

That's my concern, too. Dropping that crossing route was a huge one, and could have some ramifications in the number of touches he gets as a receiver.
Maybe they'll just chalk it up to a rookie mistake, because supposedly he normally has very good hands,
he does, and you have to remember, during a normal week he is getting #2 RB reps.

SD is terrible against the run, awful. maybe they sprinkle in Jaquizz some as a 3rd down rb.
Jacquizz is on IR, so it's either Ka'Deem Carey, a practice squad call-up or a street FA to spell Langford.

Jacquizz is on IR, so it's either Ka'Deem Carey, a practice squad call-up or a street FA to spell Langford.
oh well there you go

he does, and you have to remember, during a normal week he is getting #2 RB reps.SD is terrible against the run, awful. maybe they sprinkle in Jaquizz some as a 3rd down rb.
Antone Smith is there.

I'm optimistic about this kid.

This 'could' be the start of him eventually taking over next year as the starting RB for the Bears but he could make noise with this opportunity.

---------

.Evan Silva@evansilva Nov 3

No. 2 is Jeremy Langford, whose to-date usage suggests he's likely to become a near every-down back with GL carries in Forte's absence.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/186454/five-things-to-know-about-bears-backfield-after-matt-fortes-knee-injury

Five things to know about Bears' backfield after Matt Forte's knee injury

1. --- Forte is about to turn 30. That’s a nasty number for NFL running backs. Forte won’t win over many league executives by sitting on the sidelines longer than absolutely necessary.

2. --- Langford’s workload is expected to triple in the coming weeks until Forte returns. The Bears claim Langford is talented enough to handle the assignment of being the feature back.

What kind of blind bid would you put on this kid?
I'm putting in 2/3 on Williams of my kitty(75 percent left from the season start)

Would go higher on Williams but based on need and remaining dollars other owners have I only need to spend 2/3. If another owner wants him there are 3 that can outbid me anyway.

And I'm prepared to put the final 1/3 on Langford.

Guys always will go down but every other upside option is basically accounted, I need him thi week based on byes and I like his upside going forward.

He's still on my waivers. Would have to drop CJ Anderson or Ryan Matthews to get him.

I think I'm set with Dion, Lamar, Hill, Charc West, and the ones I just mentioned though.

Users who are viewing this thread