Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Casting Couch

Charcandrick WEST - Should we be talking about this kid ?

There is a significant gap in skill level between Ware and West. Sometimes it's hard to see it because a player is running hot. 

2 hours ago, Deamon said:

sucks if you started west... but if you can survive the week and own ware, this is not a bad result

This. If you own both, and you should, it's nice to know Ware will see the lion's share of carries upon his return.

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 2:21 PM, mnmplayer said:

I think it's time to bump this. :yes:

So roles have reversed this year as compared to 2015. If you recall, in 2015 West beat out all other RBs on the team when JC went down and took over the starting job last season. Once he had the job West preceded to dominate with elite RB production as the starter for 3 games before going down to injury in his 4th game. Ware stepped in to replace him and never gave the job back and has been uber productive for almost a full calendar year now. He must have worked hard on pass catching skills in the off season because, unlike last year he is now a dual threat back who can catch passes on long routes and already had impressive talent running the ball. Ware has had the starting job for half the year in 2016 and has been productive, but now might miss his first game, with West now healthy and waiting in the wings. I don't think Knile Davis or Sankey are legitimate threats at this point, but that could change I suppose, though not likely. There are 5 possible outcomes I see:

1. West steps in and goes off, meanwhile Ware stays in protocol for multiple weeks and West takes over. (least likely)

2. West fails to be effective and Ware still can't get healthy, but when he does come back the job is his. (not very likely)

3. Ware comes back as the starter this week and its just a scare. (not likely) Grab West if you can for insurance either way.

4. West does great for one game, then Ware comes back and everything is just the same as it was. (more likely than the previous 3)

5. West does enough to get more carries going forward for one or possibly more games, but its still Ware's job when he gets back, just not as valuable as before as West earns a percentage of snaps as he did earlier in the season. West's value is really only for one game, aside from being a high value handcuff or possible flex, but Ware's value diminishes too. (more likely than the previous 4)

West weekly snap counts first 8 weeks:

48%, 41%, 22%, 0%(West inj), bye, 0%,27%,57% (Ware inj)

Analysis:

The odd thing about all this is West getting injured earlier this season actually helps him now, because they had to rush JC back before they should have as the #2 RB for the games West couldn't play. This made everyone realize that JC isn't right for certain now as his knees swelled up after just a few carries and he is going to see Andrews which 9 times out of 10 is the kiss of death for fantasy value.

This news cleared a path to pick up West last week as the clear #2 for the remainder of the season. Astute owners probably already have West on their team so won't be in a bidding war for West this week, but if he is available I think its worth going after him pretty hard considering how quiet KC has been on Ware and how they have treated concussions in the past, especially since the microscope is on KC with how they possibly mishandled the whole Alex Smith concussion situation. It makes sense for KC to sit Ware this week even if he passes protocol imo, and that isn't even confirmed yet.

The other thing is it's not clear if West would have kept his snap percentage up in the 40% range if he stayed healthy. Had West never been injured and his snap counts remained in the 40% range, Ware owners would not be so confident. However, if West never got injured, and his snap counts dwindled to 0%, it would be obvious how KC felt about the RB job. evaluation wise

Ware's performance has been great this year (I am an owner), but he still had some bad games production wise, was also stinking it up vs IND before going down (as far as stats, haven't seen the game yet so jury still out) and has shown he has some problem areas in holding on to the ball. West performed without blemish in his starting role. To be honest, we don't know the team evaluations, but West did win the job back in 2015 and it took an injury for him to lose his job. KC had evaluated him highly enough to surpass Knile Davis which was surprising last season when West supplanted him as the cuff. If West never got injured in 2015 we may not have even known what Ware was capable of doing. I'm not saying West is better than Ware, but as  ware owner, I am taking note of West as a potential spoiler long term to his value, even if its not the most likely scenario.

It's an interesting situation. What do you guys think? :popcorn:

:lmao:

2 hours ago, loser said:

This. If you own both, and you should, it's nice to know Ware will see the lion's share of carries upon his return.

You're actually better off if you own Ware and DON'T own West because it is clear Ware is the Alpha and Omega option when he gets back and you don't have to waste a roster space.  

Some may say it's a good idea to have West "in case" but we saw what "in case" led to today. It is fool's gold.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Power Monster said:

Amazing hype could not be matched by a dismal performance 

Have you seen the Duane Washington thread?

11 minutes ago, Shutout said:

You're actually better off if you own Ware and DON'T own West because it is clear Ware is the Alpha and Omega option when he gets back and you don't have to waste a roster space.  

Some may say it's a good idea to have West "in case" but we saw what "in case" led to today. It is fool's gold.  

I'll take the 9-10 points. It was a tough week at RB. West will end up scoring as a RB2 this week (right now ranked as the 16th ranked RB in my league which is a nice floor for such apparently bad production. I figure he could go down to a rank of 20th by Monday night and retain his RB2 production for this week, worse case. Ware would have got us a zero so I fail to see the logic. Besides this was one game sample and without Smith at QB who is a boon for RBs.

I have owned Ware the entire season and its not like he hasn't had these types of games.

Here is a three week run in scoring for Ware in my league.

@hou 8.90

NYJ 7.03

@PIT 8.13

Ware also only had 5.77 at the half in the game he went down last week so he was on pace for about 11. Ware had 3 great games as well, but 4 ones that I just shown were in line with what West did today with 2nd string QB. I can't comment at how West played as I didn't see the game, but he was definitely worth rostering, and continues to be, especially considering what he has shown in this offense in past games..

• Like 1

Just now, Andrew74 said:

I sure hope Ware is back next week. 

I bet kc hopes so as well.  if they had played a real nfl team today they would have lost

5 hours ago, Deamon said:

sucks if you started west... but if you can survive the week and own ware, this is not a bad result

Even worse is all the FAB I spent on him

3 hours ago, Shutout said:

Cool story, but if you own Ware, with six teams on a bye, and he doesn't play, wouldn't it be nice to have the top Chiefs running back in a run first offense? I love me some revisionist history...

West still got me 10.4 in a PPR.  Not great but not horrible as a bye week filler. :shrug:  

14 hours ago, Shutout said:

Don't 100% agree with this as if you own Ware, it's good to have a cuff that will likely see a bulk of carries if he goes down (JC out, Davis back but a guy cut by multiple teams is not IMHO, a threat).

However there is wisdom in your advice if you are able to use that spot in another back who presently has a role or would be even more secure as the default facto starter in a good offense if the starter went down.

For example, it's not crazy to rather be carrying Alf Morrison or Hightower right now than West if you are a Ware owner.

26 minutes ago, SameSongNDance said:

Lol no disrespect but I really loose zero sleep over you guys fantasy teams. Our team did a great job at finding a way to win!!ChiefsKingdom

Not the kind of guy I want near my fantasy team.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SameSongNDance said:

Lol no disrespect but I really loose zero sleep over you guys fantasy teams. Our team did a great job at finding a way to win!!ChiefsKingdom

Apparently poor grammar doesn't keep him up at night either.

19 hours ago, loser said:

Cool story, but if you own Ware, with six teams on a bye, and he doesn't play, wouldn't it be nice to have the top Chiefs running back in a run first offense? I love me some revisionist history...

I guess it shows a difference in mindset.  Some people blow all their FAAB on West or burn a roster spot on the guy all year for that ONE week he gets you an amazing RB3 production while others just draft studs like Ware and use the rest of their resources finding other gems that are actually useful, especially in IDP leagues.  Now that is a cool story. 

5 minutes ago, Shutout said:

I guess it shows a difference in mindset.  Some people blow all their FAAB on West or burn a roster spot on the guy all year for that ONE week he gets you an amazing RB3 production while others just draft studs like Ware and use the rest of their resources finding other gems that are actually useful, especially in IDP leagues.  Now that is a cool story. 

I blew most of my remaining FAB on West but it wasn't just for a 1 week start. It was long term insurance on the Chiefs RB spot. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ilov80s said:

I blew most of my remaining FAB on West but it wasn't just for a 1 week start. It was long term insurance on the Chiefs RB spot. 

Yeah, I can see that as a viable strategy.  My response was more in turn to the short, snarky answers a few people have posted making it sound like it is something it is not.  

If I don't have Ware, is this guy worth hanging on to at all?  Malcolm Mitchell is sitting on waivers and West is my only possible drop.

6 minutes ago, Hu-Tang Clan said:

If I don't have Ware, is this guy worth hanging on to at all? Malcolm Mitchell is sitting on waivers and West is my only possible drop.

If you don't own Ware he's not worth rostering.

• Like 1

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Charcandrick West will meet with the Chiefs on Monday.

Kansas City will also meet with C.J. Anderson as they attempt to pick up the pieces following the Kareem Hunt debacle. West spent the last four seasons with the Chiefs, but he was released during training camp earlier this year.

This move makes more sense for the Chiefs than CJ Anderson, West would be the passing back like last year when Hunt was the starter.

ALL ABOARD THE CHARCNADO!

Chiefs signed RB Charcandrick West.

Kansas City was expected to sign C.J. Anderson, but NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports they are going with West. It makes sense considering West spent the last four seasons including most of training camp this year with the team, so he should know the playbook and be able to help immediately. Kansas City going with West over Anderson is great news for Spencer Ware's rest-of-season outlook.

Assuming he takes over passing down back duties + 6-8 carries he's an immediate Flex IMHO.

Edited by The Frankman

1 hour ago, The Frankman said:

Assuming he takes over passing down back duties + 6-8 carries he's an immediate Flex IMHO.

Why would he take ~50% of carries? He's never done that before.

4 minutes ago, Squintz82 said:

Why would he take ~50% of carries? He's never done that before.

50%? Ware would get 14-16 and West 6-8 (garbage time being factored and they want to take it easy on him). Damien Williams will be involved too.

16 minutes ago, The Frankman said:

50%? Ware would get 14-16 and West 6-8 (garbage time being factored and they want to take it easy on him). Damien Williams will be involved too.

Got it. I misunderstood. 

West has had 10 games in his career in which he has had 13 or more carries under KC system.  Damien Williams' career high is 11 carries back in 2014, his rookie year.  West was inactive last week because they were okay with Ware/Williams.

Discuss.

12 minutes ago, steelwind said:

West has had 10 games in his career in which he has had 13 or more carries under KC system.  Damien Williams' career high is 11 carries back in 2014, his rookie year.  West was inactive last week because they were okay with Ware/Williams.

Discuss.

West is third string. End of discussion.

On 12/3/2018 at 11:57 AM, The Frankman said:

He's not playable IMO and if you're depending on West in your fantasy playoffs you must be a huge underdog.

Ware is probably out so West would definitely be in the mix. Unless you think Damien Williams is getting 100% of the carries. Doubt the rookie Darrel Williams plays over West.

Edited by The Frankman

I picked up West with the slim chance that he will be announced as the starter.  I get it Damien Williams had 2 TDs last week and West was inactive.  West had 848 all purpose yards and 5 total TDs in 2015 under Reid.  In 2016 Ware took over.  Then Hunt was drafted in 2017.

Of note on 1/1/2017 playoff game vs the LAC West was the featured back with Spencer Ware injured and he had 16 rush 58 yards 5 rec 58 yards and 2 TDs.

His career average vs LAC 47 rush 132 yards 15 rec 144 yards 2 TDs so he is familiar with facing them.  Not going in blind on this one.  But if I hear something from a beat writer or an insider West is going in my flex.

Edited by steelwind