What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Charcandrick WEST - Should we be talking about this kid ? (1 Viewer)

Fantasy mailbag: RBs you should own for Chiefs, Cardinals

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/184060/fantasy-mailbag-the-rbs-you-should-own-for-chiefs-cardinals

Except:

@MikeTriplett: Charcandrick West is definitely the Kansas Chiefs running back to own in the wake of Jamaal Charles knee injury. West has the highest ceiling, and ESPN Chiefs reporter Adam Teicher said he expects West to get more of the playing time, especially in the passing game.

Quietly, they kind of like West, Teicher told me. The term has been used to me, a poor mans Jamaal Charles. They think there are a lot of similarities in how they go about business. Now, hes not as good as Charles, dont mistake that. But theyre kind of eager to see what he can do.

Teicher said Davis could get more of the goal-line opportunities because hes the bigger back. But the Chiefs might prefer West in every other situation since hes a much better pass-catcher, a more versatile runner and likely at least as good in pass protection (though he hasnt been asked to do a lot of it yet).

Teicher doesnt expect any one running back to carry the load the way Charles did. But if anyone does emerge in that role down the road, West has a better chance than Davis.

Theyve been kind of waiting on Davis, Teicher said. This is his third year, and they kind of drafted him to groom him. But it just hasnt worked.

Anyone rolling him out there today?

The Vikings D seems better than their numbers to date suggest; not sure how to explain Hyde in Week 1, but w/out the 72yd run by Hillman on busted coverage in Week 4 they've held opposition rushing yards avg down below 70yds/g the last 3 games.

Who are you sitting for him? I'm thinking about playing him over CJ who is in a 3-way even if he is the lead guy.

The Vikings D seems better than their numbers to date suggest; not sure how to explain Hyde in Week 1, but w/out the 72yd run by Hillman on busted coverage in Week 4 they've held opposition rushing yards avg down below 70yds/g the last 3 games.

Who are you sitting for him? I'm thinking about playing him over CJ who is in a 3-way even if he is the lead guy.
Basically same choice for me in the flex. Agree that Vikings D is better than the numbers suggest but hoping catches will be there for West. Leaning toward him.

Maybe they have trouble with guys who can exploit the cutback lane? I don't remember how the hillman run started but that Hyde touchdown run was sick.

Actually considering West over Ivory today. Playing against the TNF smackdown of Freeman/Ingram and now feeling like I need a "what the heck" chance at a home run.

In flex over Barnidge in a PPR. I'd feel pretty comfortable starting him in most situations though, unless you are loaded at RB/flex. I'd start him over CJ in a heartbeat. If he matches CJ's best game of the season today, it'll be a big disappointment.

My only fear is that he has a "moment is too big" brain fart... bad fumble... missed blitz pickup... something goofy that gets him in the dog house. No question on his talent or Reid's love for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have him on my bench. Have lacy, bell, and forsett in. if forsett doesn't play i have woodhead to plug in. I'll watch West this week and see how things work out.

I'm rolling him out because I've got Forsett and Lewis who ar both questionable...got nice points from Ingram and hoping Bell does his normal thing...West will be my flex.

Think the real lesson is you want neither guy. West appeared to get the majority of the snaps, but did split. And the fumble was a game killer. Davis was in at the end. Guessing West is droppable unless the coaching staff rallies to his defense. Can't see them not using Davis as the primary back next week.

What I saw was that West was in for most of the second half and in on a lot of 3rd downs. That is key for a young player. Yes, the fumble sucked, but don't write him off. Based on Davis's history, the fact that West got this much play immediately is still a good sign.

The fumble was a result of his own lineman punching the ball out of his hands. All lost fumbles are bad but that one was flukey.

Last edited by a moderator:
Started him because I was afraid to risk game times for Forsett and Lewis. Should have stuck with Forsett when they said he was "likely." My lack of risk taking is probably going to cost me. :-(

I know that the Chiefs have been hit hard by injury, but that was a pitiful coaching job by Andy Reid. That game was theirs for the taking.

Luckily, I didn't start West. But I hate the Vikings so much that the KC loss leaves me just as bitter as if I had. And now we don't even know if West is any good or not--9 carries and 1 reception (even though he was supposed to be their "pass catching back" and the Chiefs were playing from behind all game long) is not a useful barometer.

So, the jury's still out...on West. But I think the votes are pretty much in on Reid.

I started West against my better judgment. I'm higher than most on the Viking defense and suspected it would be tough sledding for the Chiefs today. Oh well. Still encouraged by West's usage and he has some juicy matchups this season. He'll have some big games. He'll also have some stinkers.

I know that the Chiefs have been hit hard by injury, but that was a pitiful coaching job by Andy Reid. That game was theirs for the taking.

Luckily, I didn't start West. But I hate the Vikings so much that the KC loss leaves me just as bitter as if I had. And now we don't even know if West is any good or not--9 carries and 1 reception (even though he was supposed to be their "pass catching back" and the Chiefs were playing from behind all game long) is not a useful barometer.

So, the jury's still out...on West. But I think the votes are pretty much in on Reid.
:goodposting:

Reid was horrendous today. He's been bad pretty much the entire season, but this game took it to a new level.

Let me know who you guys are starting him over next week. Miller, Barnridge, Ivory, and Forsett sure were motivated over getting benched.

:goodposting:

Reid was horrendous today. He's been bad pretty much the entire season, but this game took it to a new level.
As an Eagles fan, I wish I could tell you that it will get better but it probably won't. Don't miss him at all.

Take solace in the fact that the coaches we'll likely see this and cut West some slack on that fumble.

Also this..

Nathan Jahnke@PFF_NateJahnke 9h9 hours ago
Chiefs final HB snap count: Charcandrick West 43, Knile Davis 19(including all 5 snaps KC had after West fumbled)
Very helpful post. West dominated snaps, and had the ball punched out by his own freaking teammate. :lmao:
People saying "drop him" after one start is akin to week 1 over reactions.

I got Jarvis Landry for him.
I hope that is a full point PPR. It is a toss up who will have a higher YPR between West and Landry.
:lmao:
Did you misread that? Otherwise, I don't see the humor. Landry still hovering at 10 ypr this year which is pitiful for a WR and he hasn't caught a TD yet. If he doesn't have that rushing TD yesterday, it's another terrible day for Landry unless you get points for catching the ball - that's why I said it better be full point PPR.

It was a fluky fumble, and he had the smarts to run into the end zone after thinking he wasn't down (too bad it wasn't a reviewable play).

It is hard to show what you got talent wise when you only get 9 carries.

And as for Charles not fumbling with the game on the line, he fumbled twice against Denver in week 2...the 2nd one with 21 seconds less to lose the game.

Bottom line...the Chiefs need to give West a chance!

Users who are viewing this thread