What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Zach Zenner Thread - Oh yeeaaaaaaah. (1 Viewer)

eoMMan

Footballguy
The dude is like white lightning.....

I think he makes the team and cuts into Abdullah/Bell's carries.

I think this is the epitome of a preseason overhype runaway freight train.

Has he looked good? Yes. Has he broken a few nice runs? Yes. Did he probably make the team? Yes.

He was the 4th RB in the game yesterday behind Abdullah, Riddick, and George freakin Winn. Everyone needs to calm down here. He looks like an average NFL practice squad running back, running against other likely practice squad guys.

Jarryd Hayne has looked even better in San Francisco, but I don't see anybody drafting him.

I think this is the epitome of a preseason overhype runaway freight train.

Has he looked good? Yes. Has he broken a few nice runs? Yes. Did he probably make the team? Yes.

He was the 4th RB in the game yesterday behind Abdullah, Riddick, and George freakin Winn. Everyone needs to calm down here. He looks like an average NFL practice squad running back, running against other likely practice squad guys.

Jarryd Hayne has looked even better in San Francisco, but I don't see anybody drafting him.
:lmao:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/playbyplay/NFL_20150828_DET@JAC

He was playing in the 1st quarter against the defensive starters of Jacksonville and looked better than Abdullah, Riddick, and George freakin Winn.

Saw this guy live in 2013 (I think) vs. Nebraska in Lincoln. Nebraska is no great shakes on defense, but Zenner looked GREAT vs. Division I athletes. He looked like the best player on the field that day (and Abdullah was on that field). Not saying that he's going to steal the starting job, but if you have a deep dynasty bench, he is worth a stash IMO.

Saw this guy live in 2013 (I think) vs. Nebraska in Lincoln. Nebraska is no great shakes on defense, but Zenner looked GREAT vs. Division I athletes. He looked like the best player on the field that day (and Abdullah was on that field). Not saying that he's going to steal the starting job, but if you have a deep dynasty bench, he is worth a stash IMO.
ZZ vs Nebraska Really impressive stuff here.

That's what I was about to post if anyone seen this kid in college this is not a fluke he's s talented runner

people ask "why do you hold drafts so early in the pre-season" this is why, I was able to get this kid in just about every league I'm in between the 4th and 5th rookie rounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
So for some perspective...

Denard Robinson - Most likely candidate but Denard isn't as risky an option with 2 years under his belt and a handful of good showings.

Eddie Royal - I think he'll do his usual blow up then disappear act but I plan on trading him before the other guys come back from injury.

Cole Beasley - I think all the attention goes to the other WOs and Beasley cleans up. Nobody can cover him with their 3rd best option.

Matt Jones - Looks better then Alf, bigger, stronger, faster.

Would you consider dropping any of them for him?

So for some perspective...

Denard Robinson - Most likely candidate but Denard isn't as risky an option with 2 years under his belt and a handful of good showings.

Eddie Royal - I think he'll do his usual blow up then disappear act but I plan on trading him before the other guys come back from injury.

Cole Beasley - I think all the attention goes to the other WOs and Beasley cleans up. Nobody can cover him with their 3rd best option.

Matt Jones - Looks better then Alf, bigger, stronger, faster.

Would you consider dropping any of them for him?
Cole

remember

2014 pre-season rushing leaders

• 1. Lorenzo Taliaferro• BAL• 243

• 2. Henry Josey• PHI• 225

• 3. Joe Banyard• MIN• 212

1. Khiry Robinson NO 228

2. Jordan Todman JAC 223

3. Joseph Randle DAL 215

4. Christine Michael SEA 201

1. William Powell ARI 249

2. Rashad Jennings JAC 209

3. Nate Eachus KC 200

1. Kendall Hunter SF 231

2. Da'Rel Scott NYG 213

3. Armond Smith CLE 192

The point is that he was running with the 1s. As an AA owner I'm worried. I don't have room to pick him up as a handcuff right now, and I'm hoping I don't regret it.

no worries .... Abdullah is electric and like was mentioned .... Zenner might be signed for a RB3 and special teams player but threaten Bell/Abdullah?

No more so than Hunter threatened Gore, Josey Mccoy or Banyard ADP

He is battle Riddick for the third RB spot. If Bell is not well, he could be huge.
I wouldn't say this is true. Zenner is competing to be the backup for Bell's role.

Riddick is Abdullah's backup in the 'Bush role'.

That is how I see it at least. No one in this backfield is going to play 3 downs every series.

Lombardi is all about carving out specific roles for his RBs, which is why this is worth keeping an eye on. If Bell can't get healthy by week 1, I we'll see either Zenner or Winn (odd man out) get the bulk of the early down/short yardage work. There not going to use Abdullah as a 3-down back, which is why his climbing ADP is becoming too pricey, his volume is capped.

people ask "why do you hold drafts so early in the pre-season" this is why, I was able to get this kid in just about every league I'm in between the 4th and 5th rookie rounds.
Exactly. Kid has had nothing but success at every level, including tons of positive buzz all camp long. Bell misses time, have to think ZZ has done all he can to get touches. Abdullah and Riddick play the 'pass catching role' a la Reggie Bush. Joique and ZZ do something else.

:hifive:

I do like him - but he's behind Bell who's not going anywhere, Abdullah whom I think is a pure stud and yes, I think he's a 3 down back and he's an excellent pass catcher .... Zenner would be 3/4 on depth chart and short over several injuries no fantasy factor at all.

Don't forget Stafford and DET passing game ... this aint a run first team IMO

I like the kid. He's actually pretty fast when he gets going. He seems to have pretty good vision. He doesn't mess around.....finds the crease and goes. I definitely want to see more of him at the NFL level.......Something to consider when watching the Nebraska Zenner highlights......Nebraska gave up the then record 408 yards rushing to Melvin Gordon before Perine broke it immediately against Kansas. Nebraskas run D was like a sieve.

This is the kind of preseason spark that I love. Zenner could have fantasy relevant touches if Bell can't get on the field over the next month. He could be this year's Henry Josey. He could be somewhere in between.

Trick is to value the potential upside right now.

Is Zenner worth a flier for other potential upside candidates/low ceiling players like Reggie Wayne or depth players like Crabtree? Is he worth as much or more than a handcuff like Jones or DWill (potentially even Knile Davis)? What about other upside backs who may get time this year like Fred Jackson?

Love the crystal ball bets that need to go on here.

I am actually thinking of taking a flier on this guy betting on Bell's inability to get healthy early. I do think Bell is back within first three games which will relegate Zenner to highly limited carries unless Bell gets injured again. There's more than a little probability of that, but I'm pricing Zenner around a guy like a Reggie Wayne or Matt Jones -- guys who may have upside in the first few games thanks to injury or until the primary #1 gets going, then is pure injury depth from there.

Just grabbed zenner at 2.7 of a 12 team rookie draft. I'm thinking there is little risk after watching his preseason snaps and productivity on tape. Should easily overtake the injury-riddled 29 y/o Bell for early down and gl touches.

What's the play here in dynasty? Do you flip him for a quick profit or hold until we know more?

If he's already up to a 2nd round rookie pick, is he likely to go much higher than that?

Why do people act like Joique Bell is a lock to beat these guys out when he gets on the field? Joique Bell is a good NFL back, he's not some kind of dominant player who is indispensable.

BTW saying "white lightning" is racism .... don't judge a player by his skin color. If I called Ameer "the terrorist" Abdullah or Todd "black fudge" Gurley or Kevin " chocolate marshmallow knee" White ..... well you get the idea

Just no reason to talk about Zenners skin color, its as irrelevant as RGIII's skin color and Teddy Bridgewater's

BTW saying "white lightning" is racism .... don't judge a player by his skin color. If I called Ameer "the terrorist" Abdullah or Todd "black fudge" Gurley or Kevin " chocolate marshmallow knee" White ..... well you get the idea

Just no reason to talk about Zenners skin color, its as irrelevant as RGIII's skin color and Teddy Bridgewater's
Totally agree with the sentiment. But does this mean we can't use Darryl Dawkin's nickname in respect and reverence?

oh yea, thanks for reminding us we live in world where people get offended by every little thing just because its the thing to do.

Maybe he didn't mean it racially, maybe people just think Zenner is harder to take down than a shot of moonshine.

Just grabbed zenner at 2.7 of a 12 team rookie draft. I'm thinking there is little risk after watching his preseason snaps and productivity on tape. Should easily overtake the injury-riddled 29 y/o Bell for early down and gl touches.
Wow. That's a pretty steep price.

I think the reality is he's a backup this year, then gets his real shot in 2016. I hope people aren't expecting immediate results.

Even Foster had just 54 carries his rookie year.

I realize 95% of the posters on this board have never actually played football, you can't teach how to see the hole and run through it. This kid has a gift.

I think the reality is he's a backup this year, then gets his real shot in 2016. I hope people aren't expecting immediate results.

Back up to whom? The other rookie rb, the guy who hasn't practiced all preseason or one of the other 3rd down backs on the roster? I agree there is definitely a committee in the works here but what combination? I don't think anyone but AA takes snaps away from the kid.

Back up to whom? The other rookie rb, the guy who hasn't practiced all preseason or one of the other 3rd down backs on the roster? I agree there is definitely a committee in the works here but what combination? I don't think anyone but AA takes snaps away from the kid.
It'll be a Bell / Abdullah combo this year. I know ZZ fans would love it to be otherwise but I think Bell will maintain his RBBC role.

It'll be a Bell / Abdullah combo this year. I know ZZ fans would love it to be otherwise but I think Bell will maintain his RBBC role.
You're probably right considering Bell's contract details, signed in 2014. 3 mil signing bonus and 4.3 guaranteed is a lot of jack to write off. Perhaps, bell stumbles early or doesn't rebound well from the Achilles? After the skills ZZ has shown, he would be the immediate backup to Bell, no?

You're probably right considering Bell's contract details, signed in 2014. 3 mil signing bonus and 4.3 guaranteed is a lot of jack to write off. Perhaps, bell stumbles early or doesn't rebound well from the Achilles? After the skills ZZ has shown, he would be the immediate backup to Bell, no?
He s/b next in line behind Bell, yes. There was speculation as recently as before this last big game that ZZ might end up on the practice squad and G Winn would make the team as 4th RB due to special teams play, but DET would be foolish to try that unless they want to see another team snag him. They have to keep him on the 53.

Folks should take another long look at Stealthycat's post #16. I remember the hype some of those guys received and we can all see how it turned out. It doesn't mean 'no' for ZZ -- he's better I think than some/most of those players -- but it probably means 'not yet.' He's an undrafted rookie and it's not an easy path to relevancy and regular playing time for those types in their rookie years, just based on one pre-season. ZZ could be an exception but the odds are stacked against him.

As a lions fan 8m just happy he is playing well enough to make the team. I've been worried about our running game...but the two rookies have looked great. We have had bad luck and some bad drafting at rb. Still think if bell can't get on the field they should sign Pierre thomas

As a lions fan 8m just happy he is playing well enough to make the team. I've been worried about our running game...but the two rookies have looked great. We have had bad luck and some bad drafting at rb. Still think if bell can't get on the field they should sign Pierre thomas
Does he make the team, though? That would mean Det keeping 4 RBs, most likely anyway. As I understand it that's pretty rare unless the guy offers some serious special teams value. Maybe Zenner does. Unfortunately, good players have to get cut sometimes.

Is he at the point yet where he is a necessary handcuff to AA in re-draft?
Unless your league is very deep, I don't think he's rosteable in redraft. Bell is going to be the RB1a and Ameer RB1b. The rest are carp fighting for scraps IMO

Unless your league is very deep, I don't think he's rosteable in redraft. Bell is going to be the RB1a and Ameer RB1b. The rest are carp fighting for scraps IMO
Is Bell ever going to practice? Zenner could be starting a couple weeks at this point. Why not use your last pick on him?

Is Bell ever going to practice? Zenner could be starting a couple weeks at this point. Why not use your last pick on him?
What am I missing here? How could he be starting a couple of weeks when he's still behind Bell, Ameer & Riddick?

What am I missing here? How could he be starting a couple of weeks when he's still behind Bell, Ameer & Riddick?
If Bell doesn't play. Some people think there are 2 roles here, Bell/ZZ and AA/Riddick. So if Bell is out ZZ gets those touches. It's not a 1,2,3,4 depth chart. It's a A1, A2, B1, B2 chart.

Users who are viewing this thread