What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pickleball - anyone play? (1 Viewer)

bigbottom

Footballguy
Discovered the game at a family reunion this summer. The members of my family are all pretty competitive and we killed a bunch of hours in heated pickleball battles. This weekend, with the help of a family friend (actually, I was the helper), we just finished installing a pickleball court on the driveway of our weekend place. Looking forward to future competitions!

For the uninitiated, pickleball is a ridiculous, but incredibly fun, game. Played on what looks like a smaller size tennis court with paddles and a wiffleball. Scoring is similar to volleyball. IMO, doubles games are way more fun than singles games. Athletic ability helpful, but not required at all.

Any pickleball players in the house?

Looks like a much slower tennis moreso than volleyball. Not that its a bad thing... looks fun!

Got into it this past spring and summer. Play twice a week at a nearby gym. One side is for beginners and the older crowd (65+), and the other side for younger. Played with the "gold" medal winner (over 50) in doubles, mixed and singles. He can flat out hit the ball - can just toy with you from the baseline.

I used to play a lot of tennis (and still do when I can) but this is a nice change and will keep me busy in the winter.

Bought this in the spring and we play as a family in the cul-de-sac. http://www.amazon.com/Oncourt-Offcourt-1363633-PickleNet-Pickleball/dp/B006U0X09W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441049944&sr=8-1&keywords=pickleball+net

Got into it this past spring and summer. Play twice a week at a nearby gym. One side is for beginners and the older crowd (65+), and the other side for younger. Played with the "gold" medal winner (over 50) in doubles, mixed and singles. He can flat out hit the ball - can just toy with you from the baseline.

I used to play a lot of tennis (and still do when I can) but this is a nice change and will keep me busy in the winter.

Bought this in the spring and we play as a family in the cul-de-sac. http://www.amazon.com/Oncourt-Offcourt-1363633-PickleNet-Pickleball/dp/B006U0X09W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441049944&sr=8-1&keywords=pickleball+net
Hmmmm. That would have been a cheaper and much less labor intensive approach.

Started playing this summer as well and am totally addicted. I'm in my mid 30's and everyone I've had play has gotten just as addicted as I am...though all of them made senior jokes and were reluctant to even try it. We're all athletic volleyball players who play less ball than we used to. We've got a total of 8 of us guys at this point, plus wives...really hoping to get some kind of tournament or something going yet this year.

Anyone interested in an almost new high end paddle?

I bought two and decided I'm more of a power player than a finesse one. A buddy of mine bought the same one after trying mine..but at that point it was my preferred paddle. Was only used 5 times.

http://www.pickleballcentral.com/Selkirk_300A_Graphite_Paddle_aluminum_core_p/sel300.htm

$75 shipped (or make me an offer). Want to use the funds to buy another paddle...feel the need to have 2 so new people can try it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that I think back, I'm fairly certain I've played this some 25ish years back at my Uncle's house in Florida. Their kids were fairly serious/competitive in tennis. I recall playing something similar for hours and hours in their driveway.... not 100% certain the ball/paddle are exactly what we used or not....

It works. When we go camping we'll usually play on a half of the run down tennis courts and just chalk the lines (that takes some time - but I bought a 10 foot 2x4 and lay it down for the straight chalk lines and it helps).

I also bought outdoor balls which are a bit different than the indoor ones they use at the rec.

Play twice a week at a nearby gym. Played with the "gold" medal winner (over 50) in doubles, mixed and singles. He can flat out hit the ball - can just toy with you from the baseline.
My link
Lol, very serious. Dude is 56 and was last year's gold medal winner in the "Senior Olymics" (didn't know you could be 56 and play in the Senior Olympics, but there you are). He played a lot of tennis when younger and his ground strokes are crazy. If you come to the net, which is the goal, he will pass you at ease.

It works. When we go camping we'll usually play on a half of the run down tennis courts and just chalk the lines (that takes some time - but I bought a 10 foot 2x4 and lay it down for the straight chalk lines and it helps).

I also bought outdoor balls which are a bit different than the indoor ones they use at the rec.
Had no idea that there are different balls for indoor versus outdoor. Here's a photo of the new court. Spent a day busting the driveway, digging and pouring concrete for the posts, and then another day taping and painting the lines.

http://i.imgur.com/0y0Zsbw.jpg

:proudpapa:

I just played for the first time last week and had a blast. My neighbor is the local pickleball guru/evangelist so I asked him if he could teach me. He invited me to the "novice" night at the local tennis courts (where they have lines painted and nets to set up). As a former tennis player I picked it up very quickly, though there are plenty of technique nuances I struggled with. But after just one night I've apparently graduated from the novice group to a more competitive night of the week and I'm looking forward to it.

Yes, I was the youngest player there (I'm 44). Yes it was weird competing against a bunch of retirees. Am hoping that as I work may way into more competitive scenarios, I'll see some younger folks playing locally.

It's a really fun game and I hope to keep playing (though I also hope it leads to me getting back into tennis playing shape). I was pretty gassed after playing for a couple of hours that first night...

Had no idea that there are different balls for indoor versus outdoor.Here's a photo of the new court. Spent a day busting the driveway, digging and pouring concrete for the posts, and then another day taping and painting the lines.

Outstanding. I'm jealous. That looks professional.

These are the ball we use for outdoor: http://www.amazon.com/DuraFast-40-Pickleballs-12-Pack/dp/B00KKRQ25A/ref=pd_sim_200_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=14YXDTWEYTMRCN2YK2ZW&dpSrc=sims&dpST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_

Had no idea that there are different balls for indoor versus outdoor. Here's a photo of the new court. Spent a day busting the driveway, digging and pouring concrete for the posts, and then another day taping and painting the lines.

Wow, that's awesome.

Had no idea that there are different balls for indoor versus outdoor.Here's a photo of the new court. Spent a day busting the driveway, digging and pouring concrete for the posts, and then another day taping and painting the lines.

That's really cool.

Looks like a much slower tennis moreso than volleyball. Not that its a bad thing... looks fun!
Not slow at all, when you're playing with people who can play.
Hmm. That gold metal match looks pretty damn slow
The "touch" or dinking part of the game is sort of slow (deliberately) to keep the ball low, but once the ball gets above the net it comes pretty fast. wait.

I haven't played in years though we didn't call it that - like a small version of deck tennis. It's a blast - its like playing ping pong while standing on top of the table. I bought a set - wish I could remember what it was called (this is early 70s).

Played this a ton growing up, as I knew several people with dedicated courts. I assumed it was mostly a local thing, since it was invented here.

looks like fun.

But why not just play tennis?
Because:

- you can play in your driveway and don't have to walk/drive down to the park

- you can drink beer (because you're in your driveway)

- you don't have to run
So... it's basically ping pong?

Look, this sort of game would be right up my alley. It just seems like tennis, ping pong, and racquetball have it covered.
Meh, think mini-tennis at home with all the associated benefits of liquor and less running.

looks like fun.

But why not just play tennis?
Because:

- you can play in your driveway and don't have to walk/drive down to the park

- you can drink beer (because you're in your driveway)

- you don't have to run
So... it's basically ping pong?

Look, this sort of game would be right up my alley. It just seems like tennis, ping pong, and racquetball have it covered.
Meh, think mini-tennis at home with all the associated benefits of liquor and less running.
I gotta admit, that does sound pretty awesome.

:lmao: Pickleball is a blast. I play with my uncle and cousins when we visit my aunt/uncle in FL. They live in a retirement community where these old geezers take their pickleball very seriously. It was quite humbling to get my ### handed to me by geezers basically standing still making me chase the ball all over the court.

Tennis down?
A tennis court is about three times the size, which ends up (1) requiring a lot more real estate, as well as fencing; and (2) requiring a crapload more running. So if you want to a fun game that pretty much everyone can play, involves a decent but not extreme level of physical activity, can be set up in a driveway or cul de sac, and can legitimately be played while consuming alcohol, this fits the bill. I put it in the same genre as backyard volleyball or badminton.

bigbottom said:
Mr. Pickles said:
Tennis down?
A tennis court is about three times the size, which ends up (1) requiring a lot more real estate, as well as fencing; and (2) requiring a crapload more running. So if you want to a fun game that pretty much everyone can play, involves a decent but not extreme level of physical activity, can be set up in a driveway or cul de sac, and can legitimately be played while consuming alcohol, this fits the bill. I put it in the same genre as backyard volleyball or badminton.
That court looks great.

Pickleball is a great game for working on finesse and touch. I have been playing at various frequencies for about 4 years and used to be a terrible doubles player in tennis. Now I am much, much better around the net and working angles. I still like tennis, too, but pickleball is kind of a different game. In large part, it is played by former tennis players whose joints just can't deal with the pounding of tennis. There is a real mix of precision and power that requires a tremendous amount of control and strategy.

I am 36 and have been able to develop a community of about 30-40 players who are around the same age (some younger, some older) who are really good players. Some of them play in tournaments around the state and around the country. Those guys in the gold medal match posted above are not all that impressive to me, to be honest.

Ned said:
kOOk said:
bigbottom said:
ChiefD said:
comfortably numb said:
So it's mini tennis?
I think it's ping pong but you stand on the table.
:lmao:
:lmao: :lmao:
:lmao: Pickleball is a blast. I play with my uncle and cousins when we visit my aunt/uncle in FL. They live in a retirement community where these old geezers take their pickleball very seriously. It was quite humbling to get my ### handed to me by geezers basically standing still making me chase the ball all over the court.
:goodposting: It can be quite similar to racquetball, in that respect.

I think this thread needs to get to like 10 pages, just so we can convince Otis that he needs one of these courts in his driveway

:blackdot:

First I heard about this was when we were looking for houses in this town we're living in now.

This town where the average age is 65. Seriously.

Still, it looks pretty fun.

bigbottom said:
Hov34 said:
bigbottom said:

Whoa. You're not ####ing around.

Ned said:
kOOk said:
bigbottom said:
ChiefD said:
comfortably numb said:
So it's mini tennis?
:lmao: Pickleball is a blast. I play with my uncle and

cousins when we visit my aunt/uncle in FL. They live in a retirement community where these old geezers take their pickleball very seriously. It was quite humbling to get my ### handed to me

by geezers basically standing still making me chase the ball all over the court.
:goodposting: It can be quite similar to racquetball, in that respect.
Ha, no kidding. Had a huge humbling experience in college. Was in great shape and started playing a ton. Even won the intramural championship for the entire college due to my strategy of hustle like crazy and pound the ever living crap out of the ball on the low part of the wall. I thought I was really good and was considering entering some tournaments.One of my buddy's dads heard about this and offered to play me. He was about 5'5", 55 years old, looked like an accountant (b/c he was). He said he had been playing for years and wasn't anywhere near the top level at his club. When he offered to play me I thought I'd have to take it easy on him.

Well, I was wrong. Despite hitting it at like half the velocity I did the guy had me running all over the court. His placement of the ball was incredible and he hit shots Id never seen before. He beat me three games in a row and only two were close - with me scoring points out of sheer hustle. I was drenched in sweat when we finished and I don't think he had a drop of sweat going.

Ned said:
kOOk said:
bigbottom said:
ChiefD said:
comfortably numb said:
So it's mini tennis?
Nine words I never want to hear again.

bigbottom said:
Mr. Pickles said:
Tennis down?
Agreed on the badmitton aspect...I think it's much more like that than it is tennis. The key difference in my mind is that the balls don't jump of the paddle as fast as you expect...like the equipment is meant to slow the game down to a manageable pace for most people.

There's a kick-### set of 9 courts at a local community center here in the Twin Cities...during the weekends it's not uncommon to see all, or at least 6 of them being used...90% of the doubles matches you see all 4 players playing the net. That does't happen in tennis. With the small courts, drop shots are pretty tough. My group (athletic 30-somethings) tends to play it more like tennis with a front and a back person, but I think it's more due to our volleyball "training" and being used to taking court away at the net and spreading the court when scrambling.

We have played against people in their 50s with their 2 up format and have both won and lost matches.

Users who are viewing this thread