What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Need a new dishwasher (2 Viewers)

Random

Footballguy
Is Bosch the way to go here? Most Bosch reviews are very high, despite that they have a filter that needs cleaned. And no dry cycle. Other brands seem to be all over the board.

I've had good luck with Whirlpool. Mine is 13 yrs old. I replaced the pump last year when a bearing failed in it. Other than that, it just keeps on running.

FYI: Whirlpool/KitchenAid/Amana/Maytag are all owned by Whirlpool.

We have the Maytag Atlantis washer/dryer set (also 13 yrs old). Washer needed a snubber ring & dryer needed a gas control solenoid. Easy fixes for a DIYer.

Parts for these brands are relatively cheap.

I just went through this.... Went bosch ascentia 50db from Lowes. Love it.... extremely quiet.

A few things to keep in mind:

Use the coupon code generator to save 10%
Use CardPool to save another 7% or so

It is a european style unit, which is how it manages to be so quiet. ALL units of this style use a condensation style drying method by way of a stainless tub that cools faster than the contents. This causes all moisture to condense on the walls and travel to the drain. It makes for more energy efficient and quieter unit. The downside is the cycle takes a bit longer.... about 2h20m. If you need a rush wash... you will have to towel dry your dishes. IMO this hasn't been a problem. With the full cycle everything ends up nice and dry.

The racks are very well made and hold a ton of stuff. It does a great job of cleaning stuff even if not properly pre-cleaned.

:thumbup: imo.

I just went through this.... Went bosch ascentia 50db from Lowes. Love it.... extremely quiet.

It is a european style unit, which is how it manages to be so quiet. ALL units of this style use a condensation style drying method by way of a stainless tub that cools faster than the contents. This causes all moisture to condense on the walls and travel to the drain. It makes for more energy efficient and quieter unit. The downside is the cycle takes a bit longer.... about 2h20m. If you need a rush wash... you will have to towel dry your dishes. IMO this hasn't been a problem. With the full cycle everything ends up nice and dry.

The racks are very well made and hold a ton of stuff. It does a great job of cleaning stuff even if not properly pre-cleaned.

Between that one and the 800 (for the third rack and its a little quieter). Probably go with the Ascenta. http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&productId=3409036&cId=detail

Thanks for the 10% off code!

Between that one and the 800 (for the third rack and its a little quieter). Probably go with the Ascenta. http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&productId=3409036&cId=detail

We went with the 800 and love it. I don't really need the 3rd rack, but I really do love how quiet the thing is. It's really difficult to hear it running even when standing next to it.

We went with the 800 and love it. I don't really need the 3rd rack, but I really do love how quiet the thing is. It's really difficult to hear it running even when standing next to it.
We are in the habit of running ours at night. We usually load after dinner and put on 4 or 6 hour delay. So there is really not much value for us going quieter. Of course we do this because our current dishwasher sounds like a freight train.

Got a Kenmore Elite to match the other SS appliances the house had when we bought it. No complaints so far.

Always use the 10% code and order online for large purchases from Lowes! :thumbup:

We are in the habit of running ours at night. We usually load after dinner and put on 4 or 6 hour delay. So there is really not much value for us going quieter. Of course we do this because our current dishwasher sounds like a freight train.
The 50db Ascenta is remarkably quiet coming from the old contractor grade Kenmore we had. This thing, as stated above, is difficult to hear even when standing next to it. Perhaps a bit of water swishing sound during certain stages.

That said, it's for all intents and purposes, silent. It could be running in my bedroom and I'd sleep fine, let alone the kitchen :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
What did you guys pay for installation?
Did it myself. Super easy. had to pull old brass line out (easy as turning a wrench) and putting the appropriate adapter on the new line (and elbow adapter for the exit on the Bosch) and drop it into place. I don't consider myself to be the handiest guy in the world and I had no issues. Great video install instructions available on youtube.

Can't go wrong with the Bosch

And if you are running it at nght, who cares if the program takes a little longer?

I usually just run mine when I've filled it or there isn't much of anything else coming that day. Most times the dishes are dry and being put in their places before I go to bed. One less thing to worry about the next day.

Echo the Bosch recommendations. Super quiet, does a nice job. And the no dry cycle really doesn't matter much unless you're doing load after load, and nobody does that at home. It's costs a little more, but worth it IMO

dorno said:
I own a Bosch and hate it. The dry time is ridiculous because we have to wipe the dishes dry even after letting them dry overnight. Another thing that sucks is the bottom filter needs to be cleaned often because it doesn't have a built in grinder. Everyone I know (5 of us) that have owned or do own a Bosch say they'll never own another. Buy a Whirlpool or another of their brands.
Something is wearing with yours if your dishes are still wet after the full 2h20m cycle.

dorno said:
I own a Bosch and hate it. The dry time is ridiculous because we have to wipe the dishes dry even after letting them dry overnight. Another thing that sucks is the bottom filter needs to be cleaned often because it doesn't have a built in grinder. Everyone I know (5 of us) that have owned or do own a Bosch say they'll never own another. Buy a Whirlpool or another of their brands.
Something is wearing with yours if your dishes are still wet after the full 2h20m cycle.
Been like that since day one and everyone else's that I know that wouldn't recommend them say that. Biggest complaint is dishes stay wet and that is from all 5 of us that own/ed a Bosch.
I ended up with a KitchenAid like this and I like it a lot. I talked to the Lowe's guy and he recommended it instead of the Bosch because of the drying time and not getting fully dry. All the high end dishwashers are ridiculously quiet. My old GE stainless that I got when I built the house was the same way, quiet enough you forgot it was on. The KitchenAid has a tiny light when it is on to show you if it is washing, drying or done, so I don't open it accidentally, but it is even more quiet. I've got 3 boys, so we do dishes a lot and the last thing I want to do is dry dishes by hand.

I'm sure that people like Bosch, but the quietness of a dishwasher is not even something to worry about because any nice one is likely really quiet (mine is in the 40db range) to begin. I just heard a lot of meh comments about Bosch and the KitchenAid has been great. Heck, even the GE was solid. We wash dishes so many times that 8 years in our house was as long I would hope a dishwasher would last.

I think the key things are the look (handle/color of the stainless - matching other appliances, rack arrangements (if you wash certain sizes a lot) and things like a dry cycle or a built in disposal. Unless you go on the low end side, you shouldn't really even hear any of the nice dishwashers.

What did you guys pay for installation?
I asked at Lowes because if you have them install, there is no tax on the sale. They wanted $100 + the kit with new hoses ($20). It would save $40-$50 in taxes, so the net cost would be about $50-$60 (assuming you purchase the kit anyway).

I'll probably DIY.

never heard of this site. pretty safe/legit?

never heard of this site. pretty safe/legit?
yep! Nice tool that allows you to search for a purchase total price and they scan their database of codes to find the best combo (fewest cards, closest to total). If they're e-Cards they email them to you right away. Worked great for me.

Do any of these have the adjustable feet? The previous owners didn't tile under the cabinets when they redid the kitchen so I can't get in a new dishwasher unless I can lower it under counter height.

Do any of these have the adjustable feet? The previous owners didn't tile under the cabinets when they redid the kitchen so I can't get in a new dishwasher unless I can lower it under counter height.
The bosch does.. not sure to what degree but they're twistable/adjustable.

Every dish washer I've ever worked on was adjustable. The newer models have adjustable wheels on the back so you just lower the front feet and wheel it in and out.

Got a Bosch last Columbus Day weekend. It had a deal with free delivery and installation. Super quiet as mentioned here. Although I have heard about the wet dish issue and the filter issue, we have not had any of these problems. I had a Whirpool and a Maytag in the past but I wouldn't go back. Bosch from now on. We got a 800 for the all aluminum interior and the third shelf. Both great features. Highly recommended.

Bosch people still happy? Reviews seem to complain about having to leave door ajar for inside to dry and avoid smells and wet dishes.

Got a Bosch last Columbus Day weekend. It had a deal with free delivery and installation. Super quiet as mentioned here. Although I have heard about the wet dish issue and the filter issue, we have not had any of these problems. I had a Whirpool and a Maytag in the past but I wouldn't go back. Bosch from now on. We got a 800 for the all aluminum interior and the third shelf. Both great features. Highly recommended.
The people who complain about the wet dish issue are probably those weirdos who unload the dishwasher as soon as its done.

Dickies said:
Bosch people still happy? Reviews seem to complain about having to leave door ajar for inside to dry and avoid smells and wet dishes.
Yes, I've had a Bosch for 8 years now and love them. Never have dealt with wet dishes.
We occasionally have to dry off plastic items, but never have a problem with dishes, glasses, or utensils.

We'd been on the fence about getting a new one for a year or so now. The GE that came with the house is noisy, inefficient, and not very good at it's job...plus the door is falling off.

Got a Bosch SHP68T55UC from Lowes during the Labor Day sales and stacked some coupons and cash back bonuses mainly b/c of this thread. I'm happy with the price. We wanted the pocket handle b/c we figure it'd take a little longer for our 14 month old to figure out how to open that one, so it's on back-order till the end of the month.

Given how much I hate our old dish washer, I'm quite excited for the new one.

The people who complain about the wet dish issue are probably those weirdos who unload the dishwasher as soon as its done.
Yep. No issues here. Still love mine.

Ignoramus said:
So what does the 800 Series get you that the Ascenta doesn't have?
So from what I can tell, the most noticeable differences are

-800 has the 3rd rack (was big for us as we have lots of "little things" with the baby that the 3rd rack would be good for

-Adjustable height 2nd rack (also big to maximize space)

-More rack options as far as configurations, etc.

So I think in general, I'd guess the guts are similar, just the 800 has more rack options...probably a smidge quieter too.

Ignoramus said:

-800 has the 3rd rack (was big for us as we have lots of "little things" with the baby that the 3rd rack would be good for

So I think in general, I'd guess the guts are similar, just the 800 has more rack options...probably a smidge quieter too.
These are big pluses for me. The adjustable 2nd rack comes in handy when you have something extra tall for one or the other.

I just ordered a 500 series that has the 3rd rack for silverware and spatulas etc. Ordered from Lowe's and by getting the install person to ring up the order over the phone I get to use the 10% off coupon and also get no tax charged. That was a nice boost, having best of both worlds with no tax and still using the website code generator.

I just ordered a 500 series that has the 3rd rack for silverware and spatulas etc. Ordered from Lowe's and by getting the install person to ring up the order over the phone I get to use the 10% off coupon and also get no tax charged. That was a nice boost, having best of both worlds with no tax and still using the website code generator.
Can someone explain to me how this works? My general understanding was that if a store had a retail location in your state, you owed sales tax, regardless of how the order was placed. This seems to counter that...

Can someone explain to me how this works? My general understanding was that if a store had a retail location in your state, you owed sales tax, regardless of how the order was placed. This seems to counter that...
The only way they're not charging tax is if you pay them to install it. It would then be considered part of the dwelling.

The only way they're not charging tax is if you pay them to install it. It would then be considered part of the dwelling.
OK...that makes a little bit more sense. I got mine online via the coupon and I'm doing the install myself...Tax savings would've been nice, but between the coupon and the Labor Day sale, I'll take what I got...now if they'd just deliver it already! It's on back-order. Hopefully in by next week.

Ignoramus said:

These are big pluses for me. The adjustable 2nd rack comes in handy when you have something extra tall for one or the other.
Baby on the way, plus I use just about every pot and pan we own when I cook. Sounds like I need the 800.Thanks guys.

Hilarious how many FBG's have bought dishwashers as a result of this thread. These are the things that keep me coming back here.

Add one more soon. The builder-grade GE that came with my house is 12 years old and is takinglonger & longer to run a cycle. I was in Lowes last weekend and wandered over to the DW aisle. They had a Bosch 46 decibel for $539 (don't recall the model #).

What was the process you guys talked about above about having the installer ring it up? Did you find an independent plumber and ask him to buy it?

Add one more soon. The builder-grade GE that came with my house is 12 years old and is takinglonger & longer to run a cycle. I was in Lowes last weekend and wandered over to the DW aisle. They had a Bosch 46 decibel for $539 (don't recall the model #).

What was the process you guys talked about above about having the installer ring it up? Did you find an independent plumber and ask him to buy it?
The install number is on the page for the dishwasher on the Lowes site. When I called, the girl (Lowes employee) asked me some generic questions, told me the deal and rang it up. I was able to use the generated coupon with her and I also ordered up a special order piece. The plumber will call me and setup deliver, install and haul away of the old one. I will say that the 10% did not apply to the install, but did stack onto the water line too.

This is the one that I ordered. http://www.lowes.com/pd_612561-39047-SHP65T52UC_1z140vcZ2z8vr__?productId=50217961&pl=1&Ntt=dishwashers

Last edited by a moderator:
Installed our new Bosch last night. Very impressed with the build quality vs. the GE one we removed. The sound insulation, general heft, and the fit/finish were worlds better. I had the original receipt from the GE (came with the house), and the previous owners paid $600 for it...I only paid a couple hundred more for my Bosch, and they're not even in the same league IMO.

Ran our first load overnight, and the dishes are SO clean. No issues with things not drying. Very happy with it. The Indicator light that shines to show it's running is an oddly useful feature as I can't hear it running at all.

Installed our new Bosch last night. Very impressed with the build quality vs. the GE one we removed. The sound insulation, general heft, and the fit/finish were worlds better. I had the original receipt from the GE (came with the house), and the previous owners paid $600 for it...I only paid a couple hundred more for my Bosch, and they're not even in the same league IMO.

Ran our first load overnight, and the dishes are SO clean. No issues with things not drying. Very happy with it. The Indicator light that shines to show it's running is an oddly useful feature as I can't hear it running at all.
Wish ours had the indicator light (there is no way to tell if its running aside from sound which is hardly noticable). We got the Ascenta model. Aside from that, we are very happy as well. And ours was only $600 otd (and I got $50 for our old one). Well worth the $550 upgrade.

Wish ours had the indicator light (there is no way to tell if its running aside from sound which is hardly noticable). We got the Ascenta model. Aside from that, we are very happy as well. And ours was only $600 otd (and I got $50 for our old one). Well worth the $550 upgrade.
I thought the indicator light was cool, but not worth the extra couple hundred over the one I got. Mine's still REALLY quiet, but has front controls and countdown timer so you can tell when it's running.

Installed our 800 a couple of days ago and will echo this 100%. The thing is ridiculously quiet -- the loudest it gets is when the water is draining. :lmao: I was kind of worried about the drying but once the cycle is complete my glasses are dry and HOT. I don't notice any difference between the Bosch and dishwashers with heating elements... except the melted plastic, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread