What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thomas Rawls, RB, CMU/Seahawks (1 Viewer)

Getting hit over and over in the backfield is a bad way to come back to the starting role. Did not look like the same guy as last week. Will be curious to see what injury details are in the coming days. 

So. This looks like a muddle. Possible lingering injury, badly outproduced, crummy line. I'm looking for the player I saw last year, he must still be there somewhere.

That game was almost unwatchable btw, painful just on a football level.

Last edited by a moderator:
So. This looks like a muddle. Possible lingering injury, badly outproduced, crummy line. I'm looking for the player I saw last year, he must still be there somewhere.

That game was almost unwatchable btw, painful just on a football level.
I'm holding in dynasty where I own the lot of this underperforming running game, but looking to sell in redraft. Non-ppr offered s/u for Blount to C-mike owner. He's stacked and could be the kind of deal that wins him the league if/when Rawls and Hawks pull out of their slow start which they seem to do every year. But like many redraft owners, can't afford to go to 0-3.

Sadly, if he didn't have C-mike I think he would decline, that's how bad Rawls value seems to me.

Anyone else cutting bait? What kind of offers been accepted/declined?

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said Wednesday that Thomas Rawls (leg) is "on track to play" Sunday versus San Francisco.
Carroll's word when it comes to injuries should almost always be taken with a grain of salt, but signs have all along pointed to Rawls' injury being minor. He's believed to be dealing with a "leg bruise and strain." The Seahawks will continue to run a hot-hand backfield involving Rawls and Christine Michael. In Week 2 against the Rams, there was no question C-Mike had the hottest hand.

Source: Brady Henderson on Twitter 
Sep 21 - 10:07 PM

Not only do I not trust Rawls at this point but that offense is a mess right now with Russel gimping. I'm playing Tyrell the Gazelle over him in a flex.

not till I see Seattle offense do something (which MIGHT be this week has they have ownage over SF in Seattle)...he's on the bench behind the likes of

Hill, Sims, Dwayne Washington (not sure yet which two I'm starting)

Not only do I not trust Rawls at this point but that offense is a mess right now with Russel gimping. I'm playing Tyrell the Gazelle over him in a flex.
I'm not playing Baldwin in two leagues where I own him because of that mess, but I have solid options.  Really don't have any doubts that the offense will get on track though.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
#Seahawks coach Pete Carroll describes on the radio a “fibula issue” for RB Thomas Rawls. I’m told it’s a hairline fracture. Out a few weeks

They need to shut Rawls down until he's 100%. In the interim, CMike seems good enough to remain the starting RB for ROS barring injury.

Ugh. Glad I have Cmike in dynasty, but this really sucks. I think Rawls value is close to worthless now in redraft.

I fully expect Rawls to be the starter as soon as he is healthy enough to handle a full workload for a couple weeks in a row. In the interim, I fully expect Michael to mostly play well mixed in with just enough WTF moments that the coaching staff will be ready to move Rawls ahead of him when he is ready.

I fully expect Rawls to be the starter as soon as he is healthy enough to handle a full workload for a couple weeks in a row. In the interim, I fully expect Michael to mostly play well mixed in with just enough WTF moments that the coaching staff will be ready to move Rawls ahead of him when he is ready.
This is where I am as well.

Those quotes from Carroll and Bevell about how Rawls is the embodiment of what they want to be as a team are like a week or two old.

Meanwhile Michael is a guy they cut last year, even with Lynch shelved and Rawls the only real competition for carries.

I'm not sure how you can say anything with certainty at this point.  

This is where I am as well.

Those quotes from Carroll and Bevell about how Rawls is the embodiment of what they want to be as a team are like a week or two old.

Meanwhile Michael is a guy they cut last year, even with Lynch shelved and Rawls the only real competition for carries.
last year is last year and ancient history.  Last week is far more relevant than what happened a year + ago.

Yeah I highly doubt Pete Carroll knows how it's going to work out, much less the rest of us.

Have both of them on the roster, definitely keeping both until things (hopefully) get much clearer.

This is def in the range of outcomes but the more good games C-Mike has, like this weekend, the less chance there is of it happening. Let's say C-Mike plays well again. Another 100 yards on 20 carries and a TD with no wtf moments this week. They are just going to throw Rawls back in there after the bye as the lead RB? Probably more like a 70/30 split with C-Mike getting the bigger workload. By then it's pretty close to a situation where Rawls would have to win the job back which could take weeks if it ever happens. 

last year is last year and ancient history.  Last week is far more relevant than what happened a year + ago.
Nah, Michael is who he is.  If you want to buy into the whole "changed man" narrative, be my guest.  Usually, guys don't change.

The main question is whether Rawls' health will allow him to get back to the level he played at last year.

As a Rawls owner in dynasty I am kicking myself for not owning CMike. 

I could have snagged him off waivers at some point... Oops. 

CMike looks terrific

Nah, Michael is who he is.  If you want to buy into the whole "changed man" narrative, be my guest.  Usually, guys don't change.

The main question is whether Rawls' health will allow him to get back to the level he played at last year.
As a Rawls owner, I wish I could believe that, but I have a hard time seeing it play out that way unless Cmike starts playing badly. Although there are not many late bloomers in the NFL playing skilled positions, it's happened enough to see how Cmike may be one of them.

Health is certainly the largest issue.  

These situations are tough and I've been caught on both sides over the years (P. Holmes, C. Benson, T. Jones, Freeman, Forsett).  I thought they were busts/bums and ignored them while they had later success for a time period after struggles early struggles....what has worked best for me is to not think that I know best and watch what's actually happening on the field.  

I don't see Rawls going away but I don't think he's guaranteed anything...it will all depend on how Michael is doing and how the team is running.  Rawls will certainly get his shot when he returns/gets healthy but his future success will depend on if he out performs Michael side by side or not.   If he doesn't play better he won't be the lead dog, nor should he be.

I just dropped Rawls and picked up Duke Johnson.  I just can't see things getting that much better.  He's been worthless on my team this year.  CMike is playing well enough that I don't see why Rawls would just take over they job if healthy, they would split carries.

Unless roster space is at a premium, it seems premature to drop Rawls until we know more. At a mimimum, why not shop him to the Cmike owner instead of flat out dropping him?

Unless roster space is at a premium, it seems premature to drop Rawls until we know more. At a mimimum, why not shop him to the Cmike owner instead of flat out dropping him?
I've been trying to shop Rawls all season and no one wants him.  Probably why I got him so cheap in my auction draft.  No team is going to be willing to trade me a better player than Duke Johnson.  They would offer me some crap off their bench.

Rawls is done for the foreseeable future. Maybe, maybe he makes some noise toward the end of the season but it would be silly to waste a roster spot for that.

You have to adapt and move on quickly in fantasy, or you'll be left behind.
Sometimes you have to adapt and move on quickly, other times you have to be patient.

signed,

guy that adapted and moved on quickly on C.J. Anderson in 2014, right before he blew up

This is def in the range of outcomes but the more good games C-Mike has, like this weekend, the less chance there is of it happening. Let's say C-Mike plays well again. Another 100 yards on 20 carries and a TD with no wtf moments this week. They are just going to throw Rawls back in there after the bye as the lead RB? Probably more like a 70/30 split with C-Mike getting the bigger workload. By then it's pretty close to a situation where Rawls would have to win the job back which could take weeks if it ever happens. 
I think the major problem that we as fantasy owners (yes, me too) is that we credit the statistics too often to the RB instead of the O-line. On the Michael's first carry of the game that went for a long TD he was untouched. Was he quick to the hole? Yes. Were there tons of other RBs that would have scored on the same play? Yes. The credit on that play entirely belonged to those doing the dirty work. Even the WRs on the left side (one was Richardson) were locked down on a defender creating a huge hole in the defense. I think the coaches know and understand this better than we do. 

I drafted Rawls over Lesean McCoy. 

Man I feel dumb.
Nah who knew.   I literally just traded Alshon Jeffrey for Cobb and Rawls two days ago.  I'm much dumber.  But no one has a crystal ball.  

I'd love to think the starting job is Rawls when he comes back but I don't believe it for a second.  I can either sell him low or just hold him and hope now. Oh well

Hes out 4-6 weeks, coming off multiple leg fractures, and was an undrafted rookie who had 2 good games last year. Its not like they have invested a lot in him. Michael has pretty much taken the job from him.
More than 2 good games.  Personally I don't trust Michael to keep the job at this point.  Maybe he will but there's no way Rawls shouldn't be rostered unless you have a very small roster size. Even if Michael continues to impress, as a backup, Rawls is worth rostering in most leagues.

More than 2 good games.  Personally I don't trust Michael to keep the job at this point.  Maybe he will but there's no way Rawls shouldn't be rostered unless you have a very small roster size. Even if Michael continues to impress, as a backup, Rawls is worth rostering in most leagues.
If Rawls owners should ever be nervous about someone taking the starting job, it should be after this week. Sure CMike ran all over the 49ers, but he still showed signs of good things. 

If Rawls owners should ever be nervous about someone taking the starting job
Look, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. I'm still nervous about him having functioning legs. I can't move on to worry about whether he'll get any playing time yet.

I think the major problem that we as fantasy owners (yes, me too) is that we credit the statistics too often to the RB instead of the O-line. On the Michael's first carry of the game that went for a long TD he was untouched. Was he quick to the hole? Yes. Were there tons of other RBs that would have scored on the same play? Yes. The credit on that play entirely belonged to those doing the dirty work. Even the WRs on the left side (one was Richardson) were locked down on a defender creating a huge hole in the defense. I think the coaches know and understand this better than we do. 
I never thought of Richardson being a good blocker, but if he is doing a good job there that is a good explanation for why he has been playing more than Lockett. Thanks for the insight on this. 

I presume Kearse is very good at blocking as well?

I am completely at a loss regarding Rawls.  What a waste of a high pick when I (we?) thought he was a steal where he was going.

Any homer info on what his latest injury means?  What does OUT a few weeks mean?  Are we talking 6-8? 2 weeks?

Can a RB really recover from a hairline fracture in a few short weeks and be productive upon return?

Even if he does return with CMike doing well it is looking very poor for getting any real production ROS.

I am strongly considering dropping him.  If I knew he'd be out more 4+ weeks he'd be gone.  2 weeks...I can try and live with and hope CMike reverts to his old self.

What a mess.

I am completely at a loss regarding Rawls.  What a waste of a high pick when I (we?) thought he was a steal where he was going.

Any homer info on what his latest injury means?  What does OUT a few weeks mean?  Are we talking 6-8? 2 weeks?

Can a RB really recover from a hairline fracture in a few short weeks and be productive upon return?

Even if he does return with CMike doing well it is looking very poor for getting any real production ROS.

I am strongly considering dropping him.  If I knew he'd be out more 4+ weeks he'd be gone.  2 weeks...I can try and live with and hope CMike reverts to his old self.

What a mess.
I'm dropping him. I just went back and watched his early games....he's not the same guy from last year. Even if he comes back, he'll be splitting time, might need more time to rehab, plus CJ is going to be in picture now too. I'm picking up Smallwood....and moving on

I'm dropping him. I just went back and watched his early games....he's not the same guy from last year. Even if he comes back, he'll be splitting time, might need more time to rehab, plus CJ is going to be in picture now too. I'm picking up Smallwood....and moving on
I don't quite have the 'nads yet for that...but, like I said, getting very very close.  Only thing stopping me is my ownership bias from the relatively high slot he was picked. 

Tough to drop him having gotten absolutely no value from him at all but it just looks like a lost season for him.

Wonderllama said:
Rawls is done for the foreseeable future. Maybe, maybe he makes some noise toward the end of the season but it would be silly to waste a roster spot for that.

You have to adapt and move on quickly in fantasy, or you'll be left behind.
Or you can move quickly and be wrong. Both outcomes are possible.

I don't quite have the 'nads yet for that...but, like I said, getting very very close.  Only thing stopping me is my ownership bias from the relatively high slot he was picked. 

Tough to drop him having gotten absolutely no value from him at all but it just looks like a lost season for him.
I went through this same thing with CJ Anderson. He was horrible for most of the season, I held him for many many weeks. Finally dropped him, and then last few weeks he rebounded and had a few nice games.

Even though he rebounded, by holding him, I passed up opportunity to get other players on the waiver who could of helped me. They say Rawls will be out 4-6 weeks. Let's say it's actually 7 weeks. Then he needs 2 weeks or so to rehab or be worked into the games. That could be 9-10 weeks. You only have 4 games left for the season and then you have to figure he could be splitting time with Michael or even C.J.....maybe the Hawks even go out and sign someone like Karlos Williams. The Hawks had a bunch of running backs in yesterday for a try-out.

You can hold on......I get it......but I've been there done that. Even if he rebounds last few weeks, I'm cutting bait now, rather than pass on a waiver wire talent who can help me now. If Rawls was a young Adrian Peterson.....and was out for a month lets say, then obviously you hold. But....he's not. He looked really below average his first few weeks. Something isn't right....so.....Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread