What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thomas Rawls, RB, CMU/Seahawks (1 Viewer)

Absolutely atrocious run blocking by Seattle offensive line tonight. 
It looked like the defensive linemen were the ones handing the ball off to Rawls.  He was showing his frustration to the sideline on that final drive.

Part of it is Wilson being crappy under center. They become so one dimensional based upon his talents or lack-there-of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that sucked. 

Nice play calling by Caroll at the goal line. That should have been a pick. Nice to see he learned absolutely nothing from that Malcom Butler super bowl loss. The ego on this guy knows no limits. And good call going for the fake punt up 21 and getting your punter literally killed. Sound coaching move there. This guy is too "smart" for his own good. He was lucky he wasn't going up against a real NFL team tonight. Can't wait to see Seattle get rolled in the playoffs. 

What a ####### joke. As someone told me once. FF is 100% luck. The play calling at the goal line was really depressing. But all-in-all, the Rams made the Hawks running game look like a real mess. 

So glad I decided to sit Rawls. Just had a bad gut feeling on it. Still need to decide between Lamar Miller and Bilal Powell though.

Well that sucked.

Nice play calling by Caroll at the goal line. That should have been a pick. Nice to see he learned absolutely nothing from that Malcom Butler super bowl loss. The ego on this guy knows no limits. And good call going for the fake punt up 21 and getting your punter literally killed. Sound coaching move there. This guy is too "smart" for his own good. He was lucky he wasn't going up against a real NFL team tonight. Can't wait to see Seattle get rolled in the playoffs.
Saw very little here at work, but I did see that play (didn't hear commentary). Seems more than possible the punter saw the red sea part and just took off. All punters should know to pull it down and run when they see that much green!

I have a hard time believing a run up the gut from a punter with that score and field position was pre-planned.

That goaline playcalling aggravated me so much (also no dumpoffs designed screens at all). I'll have fun watching Powell go for 120 minimum on my bench.

Unfortunately I was way off with my expectations of Rawls this week. He got the workload that I expected,  it just didn't equate to production. No worries, at least I had Rawls paired with Graham in multiple leagues.....Oh wait. #WorstFantasyPlayoffsEver .

Johnny Utah, you may want to slow down. You are blaming Carroll for the punter being mentally deficient? Has the punter never seen a football game before? He does not know how to hold a football? Or How to dive or get down? Or how to run? He ran 40 yards dropped the ball and almost got killed because of his own inability.

If you wear a helmet, regardless of position, you are a football player. If you are a punter, you know you may run fake punts, do your job.

Blaming Carroll for Ryan being a terrible athlete is on Ryan, not Carroll. That was clearly the right play call, even if it wasnt Carrolls call, Ryan did the right thing with a whole literally big enough to drive a semi through, LITERALLY. That big of a hole has me questioning why the ST coach got the interm gig. Carrolls GL call is different, but that punter remark just shows plain bitterness. Be upset at yourself for playing Rawls who had a terrible game, not Carroll.

That was ugly.  I went to bed after the fake punt and figured Rawls would at least get a few yards as Seattle burns some clock.  He lost 9 more yards!

Run-blocking is non-existent

As is almost always the case when these two teams meet, the Seattle offensive line was manhandled. On 22 carries, running back Thomas Rawls gained a total of -10 yards before contact. That is not a typo. It was as dominantly as we’ve seen a defensive line move the line of scrimmage all season long. Rawls had to average 1.9 yards after contact per attempt to get to a measly 1.5 yards per carry. Thankfully, that’s the last Seattle will be seeing of the Rams defensive line this season.
from PFF.

I have mixed feelings about this, I'm in two playoff games. One game I started Rawls and one game I'm facing him. Very dissapointing performance.

And now the decision to stick to your guns with your Sunday lineup or go boom/bust to make up production. It was Oakland last week, now this.

I've concluded that Rawls is unstartable this season. He's a good RB but he and the offense are too unpredictable to count on him.

The offense seemed to be much stronger when Prosise was back there. Not that he should be replacing Rawls, but CJ brings a dynamic element that Rawls doesn't.

I've concluded that Rawls is unstartable this season. He's a good RB but he and the offense are too unpredictable to count on him.
It's not just Rawls,  it's the entire PoS offense.   The entire team,  including  Graham and Wilson,  is basically unstartable if you care about floor at all. 

Blaming Carroll for Ryan being a terrible athlete is on Ryan, not Carroll. That was clearly the right play call, even if it wasnt Carrolls call, Ryan did the right thing with a whole literally big enough to drive a semi through, LITERALLY. That big of a hole has me questioning why the ST coach got the interm gig. Carrolls GL call is different, but that punter remark just shows plain bitterness. Be upset at yourself for playing Rawls who had a terrible game, not Carroll.
Calling a fake punt up 21 that late in the game is a dumb and unnecessary play regardless of the outcome. The fact that their punter got basically murdered was just a bonus.

As for playing Rawls, he was a strong play by any metric you want to look at, which is about you can do in FF.  Didn't expect their O line to embarrass themselves and make the Rams look like the '85 Bears. And couldn't account for Carroll's asinine goal line play calling, which already cost him a Super Bowl. Can't put this all on Rawls.

I don't have much a response to this. I guess it baffles me people continually think that Pete Carroll is calling plays. 
Semantics. Obviously everyone here knows Bevell is the OC. But to think Pete should have no influence whatsoever on these calls at this point, especially when this same exact nonsense already cost the team a Super Bowl, is being naive.

But don't take my word for it. Listen to your pro-bowl cornerback who was just as frustrated with what he was seeing last night...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18290431/richard-sherman-seattle-seahawks-critical-pete-carroll-decision-throw-first-goal-los-angeles-rams

Semantics. Obviously everyone here knows Bevell is the OC. But to think Pete should have no influence whatsoever on these calls at this point, especially when this same exact nonsense already cost the team a Super Bowl, is being naive.

But don't take my word for it. Listen to your pro-bowl cornerback who was just as frustrated with what he was seeing last night...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18290431/richard-sherman-seattle-seahawks-critical-pete-carroll-decision-throw-first-goal-los-angeles-rams
Sure looked like an INT to me.

I forget where I read it or who said it, but for some time now it has been understood that the Rams (under JF) treat their matchups with the Seahawks like their Superbowl.  Seattle always gets their A-game (intensity, trick plays, etc.) and even though their team is often the underdog, their defense usually rises to the occasion when they play Seattle.

To me the fake punt was probably a nose-thumb to the Rams (and JF) for all the headache the Rams have given Seattle the last several seasons having successfully utilized some trick plays of their own.  I was disappointed in Carroll's celebration on the sideline while his punter was laid out.

Anyone who has watched Seattle over the last 4-5 seasons should not be surprised by the pathetic attempt at the goal-line to be unpredictable.  News flash Darrell Bevell - you've called the unpredictable so often it's become predictable.  If I know that you are unwilling to give the ball to your tailback on 1st and goal from the one...I suspect the defense knows as well.  Perhaps to remain truly unpredictable, you should have called a run play to your tailback on 1st and goal...it certainly would have shocked me.  Granted, given last nights performance, I'm not sure the O-line would have successfully blocked the attempt...but thanks to Bevell and his goal-line cuteness, we will never know.  Took a beautiful release by Baldwin to salvage the poor play calling for that 1 yard score.

The stat from PFF quoted above tells you all you need to know about Rawls and his performance.  He did very little wrong considering the lack of blocking afforded him.

The offense seemed to be much stronger when Prosise was back there. Not that he should be replacing Rawls, but CJ brings a dynamic element that Rawls doesn't
The offense looked stronger with Prosise in the mix because they were playing the Patriots and Eagles.  It took Prosise only four carries in the second game as starter to suffer a shoulder injury.  I shudder to think what would have happened to him had he been asked to carry 22 times against the Rams last night.  That said, the coaching staff seem reluctant to incorporate Rawls into the passing game.  Not so with Prosise, so I do agree with you, the coaching staff feels he brings a dynamic that Rawls does not.

It's become quite evident that the work the O-Line gets in during practice has insufficiently prepared them for game day.  These final games against the Cardinals and 49ers represent real opportunities to try to get their o-line woes corrected under fire, and I truly hope the OC takes full advantage and let's these guys run block against less formidable opponents.  My concern with Rawls moving forward (for those that play a full 17 week schedule) is that having clinched the division, Seattle may decide to limit his workload and save him for the playoffs.  So even if they do choose to emphasize the ground game, it may end up just benefitting the back up RB.

I forget where I read it or who said it, but for some time now it has been understood that the Rams (under JF) treat their matchups with the Seahawks like their Superbowl.  Seattle always gets their A-game (intensity, trick plays, etc.) and even though their team is often the underdog, their defense usually rises to the occasion when they play Seattle.

To me the fake punt was probably a nose-thumb to the Rams (and JF) for all the headache the Rams have given Seattle the last several seasons having successfully utilized some trick plays of their own.  I was disappointed in Carroll's celebration on the sideline while his punter was laid out.

Anyone who has watched Seattle over the last 4-5 seasons should not be surprised by the pathetic attempt at the goal-line to be unpredictable.  News flash Darrell Bevell - you've called the unpredictable so often it's become predictable.  If I know that you are unwilling to give the ball to your tailback on 1st and goal from the one...I suspect the defense knows as well.  Perhaps to remain truly unpredictable, you should have called a run play to your tailback on 1st and goal...it certainly would have shocked me.  Granted, given last nights performance, I'm not sure the O-line would have successfully blocked the attempt...but thanks to Bevell and his goal-line cuteness, we will never know.  Took a beautiful release by Baldwin to salvage the poor play calling for that 1 yard score.

The stat from PFF quoted above tells you all you need to know about Rawls and his performance.  He did very little wrong considering the lack of blocking afforded him.

The offense looked stronger with Prosise in the mix because they were playing the Patriots and Eagles.  It took Prosise only four carries in the second game as starter to suffer a shoulder injury.  I shudder to think what would have happened to him had he been asked to carry 22 times against the Rams last night.  That said, the coaching staff seem reluctant to incorporate Rawls into the passing game.  Not so with Prosise, so I do agree with you, the coaching staff feels he brings a dynamic that Rawls does not.

It's become quite evident that the work the O-Line gets in during practice has insufficiently prepared them for game day.  These final games against the Cardinals and 49ers represent real opportunities to try to get their o-line woes corrected under fire, and I truly hope the OC takes full advantage and let's these guys run block against less formidable opponents.  My concern with Rawls moving forward (for those that play a full 17 week schedule) is that having clinched the division, Seattle may decide to limit his workload and save him for the playoffs.  So even if they do choose to emphasize the ground game, it may end up just benefitting the back up RB.
I have no horse in this race with these teams and am at unaware of any specific acts leading to retribution, but in regards to the "FU" to Rams and the fake punt etc.... if you are and have always been the better team, BE the better team, both physically and respectfully.  Not a good face for the NFL IMO.

What?  Graham didn't have possession.  Him touching the ball in that instance was irrelevant.
He was in the process of gaining possession of the ball, while having a foot touch down out of bounds.  Makes the ball out of bounds.  Couldn't have been an interception no matter what the defender did at that time (and he made a heck of a play regardless). 

matttyl said:
He was in the process of gaining possession of the ball, while having a foot touch down out of bounds.  Makes the ball out of bounds.  Couldn't have been an interception no matter what the defender did at that time (and he made a heck of a play regardless). 
It didn't matter, the ball moved in the defender's grasp before he got 2 feet down, and he didn't get 2 feet down inbounds after he controlled it. No interception.

Carroll said it was bruised shoulder in post game. 

I'm guessing he had negative yards before contact for the second consecutive week. The guys at PFF commented last week that it wasn't a typo. Negative yards before contact. The Seattle offensive line graded out as the worst run blocking performance by an offensive line as a unit for the entire season last week. The second half was much improved today after Rawls was out giving Collins a chance. 

He's done as a fantasy asset. 

Probably an over statement as the o-line blows. But damn that was awful. 

The Seahawks from Pete Carroll down preach competition at each position to determine opportunity to play, which is typically healthy for any sports franchise.  But when your talking about o-line play, it's not just about individual play, it's about cohesiveness, familiarity and how that unit functions as a whole.  If I owned either Prosise or Rawls (or both) in dynasty I'd be praying that Seattle signs some legitimate offensive lineman in the off-season and determines their best five before the start of the regular season.  Otherwise you have to hope that Tom Cable can work some sort of miracle with these guys in the off-season and they progress and improve dramatically.

I forget the exact number that was thrown up during the last game, but I believe the total dollars being spent on Seattle's 'starting' o-line is between $6 - $7 million, which is a little over half of what the next cheapest o-line makes in the entire NFL.  Sometimes you actually do get what you pay for.

That said, this years unit did look better in the second half, but then again their first half performance was sooooo putrid Rawls never had a chance.  To his credit Alex Collins ran hard and was as effective as the line allowed him to be, and though improved the offense as whole looked much more comfortable throwing the ball than running once again.

It's been a very tough season for Rawls which definitely should raise some concern over his future prospects and role with this team moving forward, especially considering the way Seattle's offense has shifted away from the power-running game they have vehemently proclaimed as their own.  I would normally be confidant in saying that Rawls should at the very least be considered the back of choice in short yardage situations, but his usage at the goal-line these last few games has me questioning even that.

Tool said:
I think i see the player I thought I drafted out there today.
I'm right there with you.  Still wish I would have sold him last year,  and I still think Procise limits his ceiling going forward, but I think he could end up being a solid buy-low this off-season.

He's getting so expensive right now. Looking great, hate for value in 17 with the recency bias in redraft drafting.

:scared:

The offensive line actually generated some push and created some lanes and Rawls was able to take advantage.  Very frustrating for the Rawls owners who had hoped for this type of performance during the FF season, yet reassuring to Seahawk fans that witnessed 60 minutes of functional o-line play for the first time in weeks.

For dynasty purposes this can only be good news for those intending to try to move Rawls this off-season, yet it gives a little hope to those that intend to keep him for next year as well.

Was surprised to see the O-line firing out in man power blocking schemes just looking to blow people off the line as opposed to the step-together zone scheme that we see most weeks. Wonder what formula we'll see next week against Atlanta?

Users who are viewing this thread