SaintsInDome2006

The Official Kicker (K) Thread

1,373 posts in this topic

Scooby week 1, dropped for Hocker this week. I am like the grim reaper for kickers.

Either Josh Brown and Old Man Gould are my targets this week. Yo have been warned.

Quick ranking of recent PK job winners:

Scobee PIT

Franks MIA

Hocker NOS

Lambo SDC

Brindza TBB

Myers JAC

Coons CLE

Scobee is a vet on a great offense but the downside is Pitt has perhaps the worst kicking stadium in the league.

And he's terrible, I could see him missing a couple and being replaced

Already half-right!

LOL, they don't even trust him for the extra points

BTW, 10 years of fantasy have convinced me that the only method of predicting future kicker performance with any validity is looking at what they've already done that season. The basically means you're flying blind for the next few weeks. At that point, find the Top 5 guy who nobody owns (e.g., Catanzaro last year) and ride him as long as you can.

Of course, even that isn't foolproof. Catanzaro became a lot less useful last year when AZ's offense fell apart. But it's better than anything else.

Based solely on that criteria, here's who I'm targeting this week in my 16-team league after waivers have cleared, with their ranks so far:

Robbie Gould (1)

Josh Brown (3)

Kyle Brindza (9)

I'll re-evaluate after Week 4 and determine if it's worth changing again. After that point the top guys are generally owned.

Gould is at Seattle this week.

Scooby week 1, dropped for Hocker this week. I am like the grim reaper for kickers.

Either Josh Brown and Old Man Gould are my targets this week. Yo have been warned.

X2

I've had the curse for years. I could have a championship team otherwise, but my kicker is always total trash. Going after Brown myself this week. So you guys have been double warned.

Vinatieri has been a dumpster fire of a pick.

2 people like this

I have no idea what to do with him. Thought he would be solid coming into the year. He fit my 2 big criteria of having a late bye and playing in a dome. But 1 point through 2 weeks is awful. Don't want to drop him because the offense could get going at any point, but it's getting harder to stick with him.

I have no idea what to do with him. Thought he would be solid coming into the year. He fit my 2 big criteria of having a late bye and playing in a dome. But 1 point through 2 weeks is awful. Don't want to drop him because the offense could get going at any point, but it's getting harder to stick with him.

Thought I was pretty sly picking him up in my draft after several K's had been taken and seeing him boot a 55 yard er in preseason (range was questionable). As I'm sure for everyone, he's killed me.

Just coming in here to get some thoughts on this guy...

I'm thinking of going Lambo.

No you're not. You might have picked out a random name and maybe there's an element of logic to it, but I guarantee you haven't watched him kick this year.

He missed a 47 yarder this week. Missed a PAT the week before He is consistently short on his kickoffs (6 returns so far.) He's just not that great.

IMHO YMMV

I'm thinking of going Lambo.

No you're not. You might have picked out a random name and maybe there's an element of logic to it, but I guarantee you haven't watched him kick this year.

He missed a 47 yarder this week. Missed a PAT the week before He is consistently short on his kickoffs (6 returns so far.) He's just not that great.

IMHO YMMV

You're right, I haven't. I was looking for some consistency in scoring in the FA pool on a decent offense. Thx for the eyewitness feedback.

Lambo plays in a good reliable offense. He has something like the 2nd most FGAs and IIRC he's missed one.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

I'd avoid Gould this week with Jimmy Clausen going up against the Seahawks defense.

Rolling with the Nugent this week, dropped Scobee snacks cuz I got that cat scratch fever right now thanks to SWC brochachos

Still have Scobee.

Folk

Gano

Jano

Bullock

Frankes

Walsh

Prater

Forbath

Gould

...all still out there. Can't decide. Just typing this makes me thing I've thought too much on it.

Kinda leaning Jan-O since I'm a Raiders fan,

I ended up dropping Vinatieri and picking up Catanzaro from Arizona. Arizona's offense has looked great so far and has another great matchup this weekend against SanFran. Indy has just been a mess. If I need to stream kickers later on, so be it....but it makes no sense to keep using a kicker on a team that's struggling, imo.

Kickers are dumb.

They are.

But Kickalicious is awesome.

NOTE TO SELF: move Norway road trip to the top of the bucket list.

Thoughts on cutting bait on Dan Bailey and picking up either McManus or Josh Brown? With both Romo and Dez going out is that a positive or negative for Bailey. Bonus points for kicks over 40 and 50.

I drafted Bailey in about six leagues. I'm dumping him across the board for Catazarano and carpenter who were available in all the leagues. I just can't I imagine him having many opportunities without Romo, Fez and a run game that kinda stinks.

I ended up dropping Vinatieri and picking up Catanzaro from Arizona. Arizona's offense has looked great so far and has another great matchup this weekend against SanFran. Indy has just been a mess. If I need to stream kickers later on, so be it....but it makes no sense to keep using a kicker on a team that's struggling, imo.
I did the same exact thing. He's got a case of the shanks dating back to the playoffs last year. Couple that with an out of sorts offense and it was time to go. Edited by Futz

Dropped Scobee for Josh Brown before last night. He got me 14 points and outscored my opponents trio of Morris, Jennings, and Garcon by 9 in my league.

With AZ looking strong, I'm going Catanzaro this week

I ended up dropping Hocker for him.

Wow I'm surprised you did that. You really can't expect Indy to continue to struggle can you?

No way I drop him just yet.

Wow I'm surprised you did that. You really can't expect Indy to continue to struggle can you?

No way I drop him just yet.

7 FF pts through the first three games...

... dumping him in the toilet. He's DooDoo.

The usual suspects gathering in Philly...

@RapSheet: #Eagles kicker tryouts today will include Caleb Sturgis, Nick Novak and Billy Cundiff. An ailing Cody Parkey makes this necessary.

This is a really volatile year for kickers, it's as bad the RBs right now. The only sure thing is Gostkowski, who is elite Tier 1, and Josh Brown has been great. I didn't have faith in the Giants offense but maybe that was a mistake.

Brindza was horrible. Against the Saints he was gold of course, but yesterday he missed 3 FGAs and and XPA.

This is a really volatile year for kickers, it's as bad the RBs right now. The only sure thing is Gostkowski, who is elite Tier 1, and Josh Brown has been great. I didn't have faith in the Giants offense but maybe that was a mistake.

Brindza was horrible. Against the Saints he was gold of course, but yesterday he missed 3 FGAs and and XPA.

Giants offense is good, but lacks a clue in the RZ. Perfect for a kicker.

yeah i'm getting killed at kicker this year. never really picked a kicker high but gostowski is definitely worth it.

Giants offense is good, but lacks a clue in the RZ. Perfect for a kicker.

That should be a winning formula. I'm holding McManus for now. Guess they weren't serious about letting him try the 60 yarder last night but he's got enough leg for it. Although Peyton sucked less in the pistol last night I still think that offense will struggle with that offensive line. They have just enough talent to get a few first downs but the lack of consistency on the line will continue to contribute to drives breaking down.

I'm surprised Brown (#1 add by volume this week) is still under 40% owned. That won't last. But this happens sometimes with veteran kickers who have an uptick. Remember that year the late Rob Bironas had a monster year? Same kind of deal, racked up a ton of pints in the first month before the larger community caught on.

Gano got me my first kicker points of the year (Thanks Vinatieri!) so I'll probably ride him for awhile (although his bye is week 5, so....)

I like the way things like up for Gano. Strong leg, reliable, and on a team that is about the defense first, with an offense devoid of playmakers outside of Cam and Olsen. Ideally it means short fields, close games, and stalling out in the RedZone. They did punt on the 37 yesterday in the first quarter, which disappointed me, and they seem to go for 4th and short plays A LOT due to Cam. But for now I guess he's my guy.

1 person likes this

4 of the top six are exactly who you would expect: Gostkowski, Hauschka, Bryant, Tucker. The two in my previous post are outstanding. Then four solid guys: Gould, Gano, Carpenter, Seabass.

####### hit or miss after that. I would [avoid] familiar names (Crosby, Walsh, Zeurlein) and just let your dog or toddler pick if you don't have one of those ten. I do like Catanzaro & Santos but there are some crappy unproductive choices cluttering up the WW right now.

Edited by BobbyLayne

Oh, and Prater after they start 0-5. Sooner or later they'll get untracked. Skill position talent and bad o-line so expect lots of stalled drives. He could be a good sleeper pick for the stretch drive if you lose your kicker covering bye weeks.

Vinatieri can't be this bad, can he? Maybe yesterday was the spark the Colts needed. Less games from behind, Luck smarter with the ball and throws away on 3rd down leading to FG opps, etc. He was -1 for me in weeks 1 and 2, then 5 points on XP's only in week 3. Stinks. But I don't want to get hasty. Usually high percentage, trusted kickers on good offenses are worth rostering.

Vinatieri can't be this bad, can he? Maybe yesterday was the spark the Colts needed. Less games from behind, Luck smarter with the ball and throws away on 3rd down leading to FG opps, etc. He was -1 for me in weeks 1 and 2, then 5 points on XP's only in week 3. Stinks. But I don't want to get hasty. Usually high percentage, trusted kickers on good offenses are worth rostering.

Kind of in uncharted territory here. Over the last four seasons he has had zero FGs in a game 3, 2, 3, and 3 times - over a 16 game schedule. The last time he went three straight games with 0 FGM was 2010 - and they scored 11 TDs during that stretch. 6 PATs and 1 FGA on that offense over 12 quarters in unfathomable.

I know what you're thinking, he has to start progressing to the mean, right...I mean, it's more about Luck & the team playing badly. That surely won't continue. Right? Right?!?!?