What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Official Kicker (K) Thread (4 Viewers)

Sorry if this is more Assistant Coach thread material, but what are people's thoughts on Zuerlein?  I was lucky to land him, but with the match-up vs. JAX this week and the bye in Week 8, considering dropping him for Butker.  But mentally hard to drop the highest scoring kicker to date.  Is Zuerlein that valuable that it's worth weathering this week, or am I creating value in my head that doesn't exist?
It’s a kicker topic, so I’m pretty sure anything goes in here. Every time I open this thing I’m expecting to see Danny DeVito shirtless, playing high stakes Russian roulette with a bunch of drunken Vietnamese guys. 

As for Greg the Leg, AKA Leggatron, part of his value is that he can nail 1 long FG and give you a low floor for the week in distance scoring format. Also the Rams offense is good enough to move the chains but not always good enough to finish drives which is FFB’s magic combination for a kicker. 

Eapecially during this tough stretch of their schedule - I think he’s a fine FFB kicker. 

Why drop Elliot until you have to? 
Good question...I view him and Bryant as being on the same tier, but: 1) by the time Elliot's bye week rolls around, I don't think Bryant(or another kicker of that quality) will still be around, and 2) I wouldn't want to have 2 roster spots tied up to a kicker for Elliot's bye and also wouldn't want to burn a waiver claim to get him back.

So, yeah, I might rather have Elliot right now, but I don't want to be in a position where I'm going into the final stretch and don't have the option of having either of these guys.  Just wanted to ensure that I have a set-and-forget kicker the rest of the way.

Good question...I view him and Bryant as being on the same tier, but: 1) by the time Elliot's bye week rolls around, I don't think Bryant(or another kicker of that quality) will still be around, and 2) I wouldn't want to have 2 roster spots tied up to a kicker for Elliot's bye and also wouldn't want to burn a waiver claim to get him back.

So, yeah, I might rather have Elliot right now, but I don't want to be in a position where I'm going into the final stretch and don't have the option of having either of these guys.  Just wanted to ensure that I have a set-and-forget kicker the rest of the way.
This + what gives Matt Bryant more value is the fact you no longer have to worry about bye week.

I already lost 2 kickers this year. I’m waiting until I have to make a change to do so. There are always ~20 K on the FA list. And by week 11 I’ll likely have lost another position player to pick up a 1-week wonder.  

That plan is simple and I don’t have to spend a whole lot of brain power braining a K. 

As great as Elliot has been, he still faces a situation when Sturgis is all healed up. As the practice squad kicker, hard to know if Elliot stays or goes when Sturgis is healed.

I agree that if it ain’t broke don’t fix it, but with a shot at a potential Top 5 K in Bryant or Lutz who have already had their bye, I’ll take not worrying about a quality K now than kicking that can down the road.

Sorry if this is more Assistant Coach thread material, but what are people's thoughts on Zuerlein?  I was lucky to land him, but with the match-up vs. JAX this week and the bye in Week 8, considering dropping him for Butker.  But mentally hard to drop the highest scoring kicker to date.  Is Zuerlein that valuable that it's worth weathering this week, or am I creating value in my head that doesn't exist?
He's fine but I wouldn't hold him through the bye. If Hairy Butt is available, nothing wrong with dropping Z now. Or you could wait a week and get someone else. Don't overthink it.

Agree with the above RE: Elliott v. Bryant. I drafted Bryant, dropped him for Elliott going into bye Week 5, then scooped him back up last night as a free agent...as he went unclaimed through waivers.

Don't have to worry about covering Elliott's bye week and Bryant is a set-and-forget kicker. I'm happy.

As great as Elliot has been, he still faces a situation when Sturgis is all healed up. As the practice squad kicker, hard to know if Elliot stays or goes when Sturgis is healed.

I agree that if it ain’t broke don’t fix it, but with a shot at a potential Top 5 K in Bryant or Lutz who have already had their bye, I’ll take not worrying about a quality K now than kicking that can down the road.
Yeah but I can just pick Sturgis back up if I have to. :)  

that said, Elliott has been nails - it’ll be interesting to see what happens to him if/when Sturgis is back.

my crap luck: drafted Sturgis in both my leagues. Hurt. :doh:  Picked up Santos in both leagues.Hurt. :doh:  

tired of spending $ on kickers this year. 

Yeah but I can just pick Sturgis back up if I have to. :)  

that said, Elliott has been nails - it’ll be interesting to see what happens to him if/when Sturgis is back.

my crap luck: drafted Sturgis in both my leagues. Hurt. :doh:  Picked up Santos in both leagues.Hurt. :doh:  

tired of spending $ on kickers this year. 
FOR GOD'S SAKE STOP PICKING UP KICKERS! YOU'RE JINXING THEM!

Matt Bryant missed practice again on Thursday.   :no:  Sorry for picking him up, everyone.   I think I'll ruin Harry Butker next
Quinn also said that the team is hopeful Bryant will be “just fine” despite signing Mike Meyer to the practice squad on Friday. Bryant typically kicks on Wednesdays and Fridays for the Falcons at practice.
Tomorrow should be a pretty telling day, per the quote above from Quinn. If Bryant doesn't kick tomorrow, I'll probably drop him for Lutz or someone equitable.

Tomorrow should be a pretty telling day, per the quote above from Quinn. If Bryant doesn't kick tomorrow, I'll probably drop him for Lutz or someone equitable.
Falcons Matt Bryant will kick Friday to see how he feels coming off back injury, but early indications are he'll be ready to go vs. Miami. If he has a setback, Falcons would have to maneuver and elevate newly signed Mike Meyer from practice squad, then make a corresponding roster move by releasing someone. But again, the thought right now is Bryant will be ready.
Just to follow up on my earlier post, per ESPN. I'd say hold him until tomorrow. If he doesn't kick, or has a set back, he's an easy drop. If there are no bad reports resulting from tomorrow, I think he's all systems go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like he kicked today and it went okay. Still starting him myself, but will monitor it pretty closely before game time.
yeah i would think if he goes through the pregame stuff well he should be good.  its a noon game so we should know an hour before

I'm surprised Dan Carpenter doesn't have a job. Should I be, or not?

From his wikipedia page, I read that "In 2016, (Carpenter's wife) Kaela controversially tweeted about her desire to have Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman castrated."

Coincidence?

Nope - I insist. In the past my contests were harder to tie, as I’d say “guess the highest scoring kicker & the point total” 

but I made this one too easy. My contest, my rules.

:D  

PM me the addy! 
I was running errands all day and have to go to work, so I grabbed some take out Mexican. I get home, check the mail and there is my hot sauce. The timing was perfect. The sauce was delicious and brought the heat. Great stuff and thanks again. 

I was running errands all day and have to go to work, so I grabbed some take out Mexican. I get home, check the mail and there is my hot sauce. The timing was perfect. The sauce was delicious and brought the heat. Great stuff and thanks again. 
Woohoo! Thanks again for playing - won’t be the last contest! :)  

I'm surprised Dan Carpenter doesn't have a job. Should I be, or not?

From his wikipedia page, I read that "In 2016, (Carpenter's wife) Kaela controversially tweeted about her desire to have Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman castrated."

Coincidence?
No he was bad that year. He missed several extra points and ever since that groin injury he hasn't kicked the same.  He was great for 2 years then crapped the bed.

I'll say it again, FGAs are the lifeblood of kickers.  If they're getting attempts, you're going to get points.  Either they're successful (good), or they get replaced (bad, but you can get the replacement).  We just saw this with LAMBO in Jacksonville.

Updating the FGAs and who might be a FA in your league:

LAR - 18 Attempts
TEN - 17 Attempts
PHI - 17 Attempts
SF - 16 Attempts
CAR - 16 Attempts
JAC - 15 Attempts

KC, NE, NO, and ARI all have 14 Attempts on the season.  

Since some teams have had byes and others haven't, and since most waiver wires don't have one of those kickers available, here's a look at AVG FGAs with the bye week teams added to the above list:

LAR - 3.00
TEN - 2.83
PHI - 2.83
NO - 2.80
SF - 2.67
CAR - 2.67
JAC - 2.67
DEN - 2.60
BUF - 2.40
ATL - 2.20
WAS - 2.20
TAM - 2.20
SEA - 2.00
CIN - 1.60
DAL - 1.40

I'll say it again, FGAs are the lifeblood of kickers.  If they're getting attempts, you're going to get points.  Either they're successful (good), or they get replaced (bad, but you can get the replacement).  We just saw this with LAMBO in Jacksonville.

Updating the FGAs and who might be a FA in your league:

LAR - 18 Attempts
TEN - 17 Attempts
PHI - 17 Attempts
SF - 16 Attempts
CAR - 16 Attempts
JAC - 15 Attempts

KC, NE, NO, and ARI all have 14 Attempts on the season.  

Since some teams have had byes and others haven't, and since most waiver wires don't have one of those kickers available, here's a look at AVG FGAs with the bye week teams added to the above list:

LAR - 3.00
TEN - 2.83
PHI - 2.83
NO - 2.80
SF - 2.67
CAR - 2.67
JAC - 2.67
DEN - 2.60
BUF - 2.40
ATL - 2.20
WAS - 2.20
TAM - 2.20
SEA - 2.00
CIN - 1.60
DAL - 1.40

McManus owners depressed about all those lost points. 

Something else I noticed when scrubbing the wire for a kicker this week:

In week 1 SF only attempted 1 FG against Carolina in a game where they barely had the ball.  Since then, Gould has attempted at least 2 FGs in every game and is averaging 3.0 FGAs per game, which would put him right at the top of the FGAs list with Zuerlein.  I think he's owned in like 25% of Yahoo leagues, so he very well might be available, and he gets Dallas at home, which isn't exactly a shutdown defense.  If you're in a league that gives tiered points by FG distance, 9 of Gould's last 15 attempts have come from 40+.

Something else I noticed when scrubbing the wire for a kicker this week:

In week 1 SF only attempted 1 FG against Carolina in a game where they barely had the ball.  Since then, Gould has attempted at least 2 FGs in every game and is averaging 3.0 FGAs per game, which would put him right at the top of the FGAs list with Zuerlein.  I think he's owned in like 25% of Yahoo leagues, so he very well might be available, and he gets Dallas at home, which isn't exactly a shutdown defense.  If you're in a league that gives tiered points by FG distance, 9 of Gould's last 15 attempts have come from 40+.
I almost grabbed him yesterday , your post talked me into it.

Bryant's back made me nervous 

What's wrong with McManus.
Great question. I decided to hang onto him in one league where we roster two kickers rather than drop for Lambo or Rose or someone else. Crazy thing is the issues are all at home and that's why he was drafted, to take advantage of the eight games in high altitude. He looked great in his only road game this season. He didn't just look bad against the Giants, his two misses looked to me like he wasn't even trying. He barely kicked either one of them. 

As the chart showed he's getting the attempts so if he does get his head out of his ### he should be no worse than a solid option, especially with his bye gone already. Plus, given his contract extension his job security should remain strong. I'm giving him another game. If he looks awful again this week vs. the Chargers I'll move on. 

Great question. I decided to hang onto him in one league where we roster two kickers rather than drop for Lambo or Rose or someone else. Crazy thing is the issues are all at home and that's why he was drafted, to take advantage of the eight games in high altitude. He looked great in his only road game this season. He didn't just look bad against the Giants, his two misses looked to me like he wasn't even trying. He barely kicked either one of them. 

As the chart showed he's getting the attempts so if he does get his head out of his ### he should be no worse than a solid option, especially with his bye gone already. Plus, given his contract extension his job security should remain strong. I'm giving him another game. If he looks awful again this week vs. the Chargers I'll move on. 
Same. Him having his bye is huge. I've been waiting for something decent to get dropped but everyone is hanging on to them.  I don't want to add Zuerlein just to drop him next week. Walsh is available can't trust Seattle though.

In my league Kicker are scored based on the estimated distance of their FGA: 10-19 is 1 point and 50+ is 5 points. Butker got me 14 last night, awesome.

Butker is averaging almost 14 ppg. That would be a nice number for a RB2.
Stud K for sure.

I think I asked you the night before the season (I don't draft Ks) if Lutz was good and you said yes. I'm rolling with him all year (had Jake from State Farm for the bye week.) The Saints kicker has been set it and forget it.

As someone mentioned upthread, FGAs are the key metric:

Rk Tm 2017 - Last 3 - Last G - Home - Away - 2016

1 LAR-3.0-3.7-2.0-2.3-3.7-1.4

2 Ten-2.8-2.0-5.0-4.3-1.3-1.5

3 Phi-2.8-2.7-2.0-2.5-3.0-2.6

4 NO-2.8-2.3-1.0-2.0-3.3-2.1

5 Car-2.7-2.7-3.0-2.7-2.7-2.4

6 SF-2.7-3.3-2.0-1.5-3.2-1.3

7 Den-2.6-3.3-3.0-2.5-3.0-2.1

8 Jac-2.5-2.3-3.0-2.0-2.8-2.1

9 KC-2.4-3.3-3.0-2.7-2.2-2.1

10 Buf-2.4-3.3-3.0-2.5-2.3-1.6

11 Ari-2.3-2.0-1.0-2.3-2.3-1.8

12 NE-2.3-3.0-2.0-1.7-3.0-2.1

So Zuerlein owners, what are you doing this week? I'm usually the guy who makes fun of people who hold their Ks through the bye, but I'm not sure I've ever faced this decision while owning the K1. I also remember last year, when someone dropped Bryant after his bye. I stashed him, and he was huge for me down the stretch.

End of my bench is currently Dion Lewis and the Buffalo D. I really think GZ may be worth holding over either of those.

So Zuerlein owners, what are you doing this week? I'm usually the guy who makes fun of people who hold their Ks through the bye, but I'm not sure I've ever faced this decision while owning the K1. I also remember last year, when someone dropped Bryant after his bye. I stashed him, and he was huge for me down the stretch.

End of my bench is currently Dion Lewis and the Buffalo D. I really think GZ may be worth holding over either of those.
I'm holding. With a weak ww I can fit in a second kicker. If push came to shove I'd cut him and hope to grab him again. He's just been so damned good it's best to keep him around if you can swing it. 

I'm holding. With a weak ww I can fit in a second kicker. If push came to shove I'd cut him and hope to grab him again. He's just been so damned good it's best to keep him around if you can swing it. 
As someone said in a different thread the standard is always, "If I saw him on the WW, would I pick him up?" I think in this case I definitely would, even if it required stashing for a week.

Someone scooped Lutz off waivers so I didn't have a chance to get him back.  Luckily, Matt Bryant was still sitting there so I dropped Elliot for him.  Spending too much time typing/thinking about kickers :loco:
I like that I thought I was lucky to drop Jake Elliot for Matt Bryant.  Not my best move of the year

Obviously depends on situation, but (faced with the prospects of dropping a player I would rather hold on to to cover a BYE) I have started kickers on their BYE week several times. I am usually willing to take a goose egg at one unpredictable position for one week rather than drop someone I think can help my team throughout the season. 

Users who are viewing this thread