What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Official Kicker (K) Thread (5 Viewers)

Scobee will get better. If you add it up he should have had 10-11 points. He had a tough time getting traded and lining it up on opening night in Foxboro in bad weather on short notice. He will improve.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scobee must be looking over his shoulder
I think he saved his job with the last couple. At least for another week, but he's on a short leash now. Anyone know the story with the holder? Did he say something or did they see that he held it wrong? Not sure why he was pulled.
A holder getting pulled is not a good sign for a holder. But then again that's a chemistry thing and nearly all kickers work with the same holder for a full summer and even the spring.

How do you guys feel about Brandon McManus (Den)?
Own him & don't feel good about it. Denver the last few years has passed up a lot of long range FGs to go for it on fourth & short. Throw in RZ effectiveness & he may not have a ton of FGAs.

Somebody up thread said just pick a dome kicker on a high scoring team. Doesn't really seem like the path to differentiation. I used to be a "I'm not giving him a home unless he's a K in a dome" theory advocate until I started to realize in and of itself that's not a PPG advantage. Walsh and Zuerlein have tremendous leg strength and kick in domes but on crappy offenses they're not worth much.

High scoring teams tend to convert drives into 7 instead of settling for 3.

I think a team like Detroit is a good choice, but Prater probably isn't on your wire. I also like Catanzaro as a solid guy who will be kicking in domes or good weather a lot. With a team that relies on a great defense they might be more inclined to kick a lot of FGs. And he probably didn't get drafted in your league.
I guess he'll be OK

Are you guys holding Parkey?

I'm looking at Hocker, Santos, and McManus as potential replacements. Parkey missing kicks in a dome doesn't sit well with me.

Are you guys holding Parkey?

I'm looking at Hocker, Santos, and McManus as potential replacements. Parkey missing kicks in a dome doesn't sit well with me.
No reason to hold any kicker who misses consistently, IMO. Hocker is playing for a team that should move really well between the 20s, and get bogged down with no credible red zone options. Plus he kicks in a dome.

I am not a huge supporter of McManus. (even though I like his situation this year, is Denver really going to struggle??)

Remember McManus was waived by Denver during last season when he was, umm, er..... "inconsistent".

Sure I get the whole "he is better this year" angle, or whatever they want to spew.

I buy in the whole "snag a kicker on a good but not great offense that stalls in red zone" type thinking.

But if I can actually combine that with one in a dome, or who is known for being accurate then its win-win and I want to take the bitter with the sweet.

You may like McManus, but I would think that for a young/inconsistent kicker, that Arrowhead may well be the hardest place anywhere to kick.

(Seattle may be another though, with their unreal noise too)

So I doubt I would go with him this week anyway, and maybe hope for him later in the season.

Especially if Denver does indeed find itself struggling like they did this past week.

I certainly wouldn't drop him for Bailey, who is on everyone's top 5 list on most all sites, and for the most part rated #1 this week.

I would think Robbie Gould is a good play this week @ home vs. Arizona.

The Giants kicker Josh Brown may well be a good play for 2 weeks...... @ home both times vs. ATL and WAS.

TZM

TZMarkie said:
I am not a huge supporter of McManus. (even though I like his situation this year, is Denver really going to struggle??)

Remember McManus was waived by Denver during last season when he was, umm, er..... "inconsistent".

Sure I get the whole "he is better this year" angle, or whatever they want to spew.

I buy in the whole "snag a kicker on a good but not great offense that stalls in red zone" type thinking.

But if I can actually combine that with one in a dome, or who is known for being accurate then its win-win and I want to take the bitter with the sweet.

You may like McManus, but I would think that for a young/inconsistent kicker, that Arrowhead may well be the hardest place anywhere to kick.

(Seattle may be another though, with their unreal noise too)

So I doubt I would go with him this week anyway, and maybe hope for him later in the season.

Especially if Denver does indeed find itself struggling like they did this past week.
I get your concern about McManus himself, but his situation looks pretty solid. Offense that moves, but seems prone to stalling. Defense that plays lights out. Kicker with a big leg and half his games in mile high air. All of those factors seems like a nice storm for kicker production, assuming Manning or McManus don't implode.

Legatron or Santos? I like Z because he's in a dome, but I wonder if I'm subconsciously paying for hype from two years ago.

What about Greg "The Leg" in STL? Best defense they have ever fielded, in a dome on an offense that will likely stall a bunch around redzone. Plus dude can kick it 60 just as good or better than the top tier.
He's usually in the bottom third of attempts and two of his three seasons he's been at 80% or worse. Big leg, without question, but when it comes right down to it he's JAG.
Legatron is not JAG.

What about Greg "The Leg" in STL? Best defense they have ever fielded, in a dome on an offense that will likely stall a bunch around redzone. Plus dude can kick it 60 just as good or better than the top tier.
He's usually in the bottom third of attempts and two of his three seasons he's been at 80% or worse. Big leg, without question, but when it comes right down to it he's JAG.
Legatron is not JAG.
He's not? Hmm...maybe this is just semantics? When I say someone is just a guy, I mean they're not really a difference maker in FF terms. Do you have a different definition?

Last year he was K22 in our league, which uses pretty standard scoring for kicking (+4 40-49, +5 50+.) He was K19 the year before. I don't know where he ranked as a rookie but with 26 XP-23 FG-95 PTS I'm sure was near the bottom.

He missed 8 FGs as a rookie (74%) and 6 last year (80%.) Three of his misses last year were inside 40 yards. His career FG% is 82.4%, which ranks 16th among active kickers. He's never been in the top ten for FGA, XP or points scored.

From a production standpoint, he is epitome of below average? Is he talented? Absolutely. One of the strongest legs in the league, I acknowledged that in my post. But his accuracy is just so-so. Most importantly from a FF perspective, he's never had more than 31 FGA. League leaders are usually around 35-40+, and in FF those are the guys you should be targeting.

Good (not great) week for McManus, 9 points in most formats thanks to the 54 yarder. High powered offense Ks usually don't get enough attempts, but after two weeks it's pretty obvious Peyton is nearing the end. I expect Denver to have more FGAs this year than past seasons.

Keep him for another week. He was erratic last year but several reports that he changed his technique in the off-season. Kid definitely has range.

Yeah. He's kicking very nicely. 3 50 yarders so far. Was hoping for a game winner but Charles fumbled.

Ace zero1 said:
Yeah. He's kicking very nicely. 3 50 yarders so far. Was hoping for a game winner but Charles fumbled.
Could easily have had 6 more points last night. 40 yarder that Boobiak didn't try early, plus a game winner at the end, if the Chiefs had stopped the fumble return from getting into the EZ. That would've put him at 15 pts after scoring 18 week 1.

I'm watching Zeuerlein.... with Foles running things and that defense he might get some a lot of FGAs, which is what he has always lacked.

BTW, 10 years of fantasy have convinced me that the only method of predicting future kicker performance with any validity is looking at what they've already done that season. The basically means you're flying blind for the next few weeks. At that point, find the Top 5 guy who nobody owns (e.g., Catanzaro last year) and ride him as long as you can.

Of course, even that isn't foolproof. Catanzaro became a lot less useful last year when AZ's offense fell apart. But it's better than anything else.

Thoughts on cutting bait on Dan Bailey and picking up either McManus or Josh Brown? With both Romo and Dez going out is that a positive or negative for Bailey. Bonus points for kicks over 40 and 50.

Def grab McManus if he's out there.

Not sure he'll have a high number of attempts but I'm impressed with Meyers. Gould has some good momentum.

BTW, 10 years of fantasy have convinced me that the only method of predicting future kicker performance with any validity is looking at what they've already done that season. The basically means you're flying blind for the next few weeks. At that point, find the Top 5 guy who nobody owns (e.g., Catanzaro last year) and ride him as long as you can.

Of course, even that isn't foolproof. Catanzaro became a lot less useful last year when AZ's offense fell apart. But it's better than anything else.
Based solely on that criteria, here's who I'm targeting this week in my 16-team league after waivers have cleared, with their ranks so far:

Robbie Gould (1)

Josh Brown (3)

Kyle Brindza (9)

I'll re-evaluate after Week 4 and determine if it's worth changing again. After that point the top guys are generally owned.

Brindza looked very, very good. He nailed a long kick, he did miss on another but otherwise you can see why the Bucs traded for him.

Hocker................ may not be long for this world.

Scooby week 1, dropped for Hocker this week. I am like the grim reaper for kickers.

Either Josh Brown and Old Man Gould are my targets this week. Yo have been warned.

Quick ranking of recent PK job winners:

Scobee PIT

Franks MIA

Hocker NOS

Lambo SDC

Brindza TBB

Myers JAC

Coons CLE
Scobee is a vet on a great offense but the downside is Pitt has perhaps the worst kicking stadium in the league.
And he's terrible, I could see him missing a couple and being replaced
Already half-right!
LOL, they don't even trust him for the extra points

Based solely on that criteria, here's who I'm targeting this week in my 16-team league after waivers have cleared, with their ranks so far:

Robbie Gould (1)

Josh Brown (3)

Kyle Brindza (9)

I'll re-evaluate after Week 4 and determine if it's worth changing again. After that point the top guys are generally owned.
Gould is at Seattle this week.

Scooby week 1, dropped for Hocker this week. I am like the grim reaper for kickers.

Either Josh Brown and Old Man Gould are my targets this week. Yo have been warned.
X2

I've had the curse for years. I could have a championship team otherwise, but my kicker is always total trash. Going after Brown myself this week. So you guys have been double warned.

Vinatieri has been a dumpster fire of a pick.
I have no idea what to do with him. Thought he would be solid coming into the year. He fit my 2 big criteria of having a late bye and playing in a dome. But 1 point through 2 weeks is awful. Don't want to drop him because the offense could get going at any point, but it's getting harder to stick with him.

I have no idea what to do with him. Thought he would be solid coming into the year. He fit my 2 big criteria of having a late bye and playing in a dome. But 1 point through 2 weeks is awful. Don't want to drop him because the offense could get going at any point, but it's getting harder to stick with him.
Thought I was pretty sly picking him up in my draft after several K's had been taken and seeing him boot a 55 yard er in preseason (range was questionable). As I'm sure for everyone, he's killed me.

I'm thinking of going Lambo.
No you're not. You might have picked out a random name and maybe there's an element of logic to it, but I guarantee you haven't watched him kick this year.

He missed a 47 yarder this week. Missed a PAT the week before He is consistently short on his kickoffs (6 returns so far.) He's just not that great.

IMHO YMMV

I'm thinking of going Lambo.
No you're not. You might have picked out a random name and maybe there's an element of logic to it, but I guarantee you haven't watched him kick this year.

He missed a 47 yarder this week. Missed a PAT the week before He is consistently short on his kickoffs (6 returns so far.) He's just not that great.

IMHO YMMV
You're right, I haven't. I was looking for some consistency in scoring in the FA pool on a decent offense. Thx for the eyewitness feedback.

Lambo plays in a good reliable offense. He has something like the 2nd most FGAs and IIRC he's missed one.

I'd avoid Gould this week with Jimmy Clausen going up against the Seahawks defense.

Rolling with the Nugent this week, dropped Scobee snacks cuz I got that cat scratch fever right now thanks to SWC brochachos

Still have Scobee.

Folk

Gano

Jano

Bullock

Frankes

Walsh

Prater

Forbath

Gould

...all still out there. Can't decide. Just typing this makes me thing I've thought too much on it.

Kinda leaning Jan-O since I'm a Raiders fan,

Just coming in here to get some thoughts on this guy...
I ended up dropping Vinatieri and picking up Catanzaro from Arizona. Arizona's offense has looked great so far and has another great matchup this weekend against SanFran. Indy has just been a mess. If I need to stream kickers later on, so be it....but it makes no sense to keep using a kicker on a team that's struggling, imo.

Users who are viewing this thread