What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Official Kicker (K) Thread (3 Viewers)

Thoughts on Walsh going forward?  I need to drop Bailey for someone and It's short bench so would prefer this to be my last kicking move of the year (transaction cost league)

Current kicker is Tucker but Bryant just became available. Tucker has a bye coming up in week 10 so thinking of a preemptive move and dumping for Bryant. Both are playing on weak offenses but Atlanta has a higher ceiling than Baltimore. Can't keep both & if I don't do this I'll have to dump Tucker in two more weeks for another kicker. 

Current kicker is Tucker but Bryant just became available. Tucker has a bye coming up in week 10 so thinking of a preemptive move and dumping for Bryant. Both are playing on weak offenses but Atlanta has a higher ceiling than Baltimore. Can't keep both & if I don't do this I'll have to dump Tucker in two more weeks for another kicker. 
Own bryant ( held him through his bye)-- and he's been awful... 3 straight ####ty weeks with a bye mixed in.

I guess you could say the bounce back is coming

Feel the same way about Succup as others have said about Legatron. Think I'm still going to have to drop him though, no room on bench to carry an extra kicker as I've been forward planning in other  positions for a terrible week 9 where I have Brady/Cooks/Hogan all out. 

I guess the answer is simply dependent on what condition your bench is in and what else you need to stock on it 

My plan for the upcoming week regarding kickers, which might be helpful for those in a similar league (yahoo leagues without "invalid" roster restrictions, meaning I won't be slapped with an "invalid roster" error by not starting a player in a position, in this case kicker, and where bye week players are free to pick up until the end of the Monday night game):

I'm planning to pick up Butker from KC at some point this week (dropping Matt Bryant), with the expectation that Zurlein and Succop will be on the WW through the weekend on their bye week. When Monday night arrives, if my match-up is out of hand either way (I'm so far up or so far down that a kicker likely won't matter), I'll drop Butker and pick up Zurlein/Succop before the bye week players lock when the Monday night game begins. It means I'll get a big fat 0 at the kicker spot, but who cares because my match-up was so far out of hand it wouldn't have mattered anyways.

Butker is more than serviceable on his own, so if I'm forced to play him, no big deal, then I'll look to pick up one of Zurlein/Succop/Elliot come next week, hoping one is still available come then.

So I can essentially wait until the last minute to decide if I really need a kicker this week, or if I can pick up one of those top flight guys on their bye and take a zero at the position for the week.

Anyone interested in Prater coming off his bye and kicking mainly indoors, or do we prefer Butker and Elliott to him?
I like Elliott as the top K this week.

RoS I think you’d have to favor Butker since there’s still a chance Caleb Sturgis takes his job back when he’s off IR in a couple weeks, but both have been outstanding. The KC K is #1 on a PPG basis as well as 3.50 FGA.

Pit has given up 8 FGA in 7 G, Detroit is without its best playmaker, and the only healthy lineman (LT) might be the worst starting o-lineman in the NFL. 2.0 FGA /g is pretty far down the list. 

I like Elliott as the top K this week.

RoS I think you’d have to favor Butker since there’s still a chance Caleb Sturgis takes his job back when he’s off IR in a couple weeks, but both have been outstanding. The KC K is #1 on a PPG basis as well as 3.50 FGA.

Pit has given up 8 FGA in 7 G, Detroit is without its best playmaker, and the only healthy lineman (LT) might be the worst starting o-lineman in the NFL. 2.0 FGA /g is pretty far down the list. 
Great insight there. The rest of season argument for Prater over those two would have to be the dome aspect vs cold weather. I think all of Butker’s remaining games, other than at Dallas next week, are outdoors in typically colder climates. 

What are Gostkowski owners doing next week?  For some reason I felt like he’s been underperforming, but just checked and he’s #3 kicker

Not a ton of separation between the #3 kicker and the #12 kicker so not sure I wouldn’t mind streaming.

likely wouldn’t get him back due to the name brand.

Anyone holding?

Great insight there. The rest of season argument for Prater over those two would have to be the dome aspect vs cold weather. I think all of Butker’s remaining games, other than at Dallas next week, are outdoors in typically colder climates. 
KC has 4 of 5 at home Weeks 12-16. Chiefs homers can chime in but the average high in December for KC is 40, only the LAC game is st night. He’s got two games at MetLife (Weeks 11 & 13) but the wind is not as swirling / unpredictable as it was at Giants Stadium.

Huge void in the FF world since Mike Herman / Kickology faded away a few years ago. If anybody was looking for a niche...

packer_junkie said:
Own bryant ( held him through his bye)-- and he's been awful... 3 straight ####ty weeks with a bye mixed in.
His last two weeks (3 if you held thru the bye as you did) have been bad. 1-4 on FGs with 4 XPs. I dropped Tucker for Bryant for two reasons:

1) Tucker still has his bye coming up in week 10. I don't have the luxury of holding two kickers on my roster so I made a preemptive strike two weeks early for Bryant, Stats to date for each are Bryant 10-13 FGs and 14-14 XP with Tucker 13-15 and 11-11. Not much difference. If I held Tucker for two more weeks I didn't know what would be available and didn't want to be left holding the bag with a worse kicker for the playoffs.

2) Tucker is obviously more talented but Baltimore's offense stinks on ice and I don't think they are getting any better. Atlanta hasn't been very good either but with all the talent they have on their offense I have to think they have a higher ceiling than Baltimore.

His last two weeks (3 if you held thru the bye as you did) have been bad. 1-4 on FGs with 4 XPs. I dropped Tucker for Bryant for two reasons:

1) Tucker still has his bye coming up in week 10. I don't have the luxury of holding two kickers on my roster so I made a preemptive strike two weeks early for Bryant, Stats to date for each are Bryant 10-13 FGs and 14-14 XP with Tucker 13-15 and 11-11. Not much difference. If I held Tucker for two more weeks I didn't know what would be available and didn't want to be left holding the bag with a worse kicker for the playoffs.

2) Tucker is obviously more talented but Baltimore's offense stinks on ice and I don't think they are getting any better. Atlanta hasn't been very good either but with all the talent they have on their offense I have to think they have a higher ceiling than Baltimore.
This might answer my question above.  Matt Bryant was dropped and I'll put in claim for him to replace Bailey and be my ROS kicker.

What are Gostkowski owners doing next week?  For some reason I felt like he’s been underperforming, but just checked and he’s #3 kicker

Not a ton of separation between the #3 kicker and the #12 kicker so not sure I wouldn’t mind streaming.

likely wouldn’t get him back due to the name brand.

Anyone holding?
Yeah, I'm holding. It all really depends on how deep your rosters go. In one league (previous post) we have short rosters and I can't afford to hold so I dumped Tucker two weeks early for Bryant. In the league where I have Ghost we have 20 slots so I'm holding and picked up Novak for one week.

This might answer my question above.  Matt Bryant was dropped and I'll put in claim for him to replace Bailey and be my ROS kicker.
He should be good to go. Last week he was on the injury report with a back issue but was taken off later in the week. Looking this morning I don't see him listed on any reports for this week.

So effing true. Miss his views since he disappeared. 

Agree loved his charts!  Is he anywhere now? Twitter, another company? anything?
Was just about to post this. Anyone actually know what happened to him?
Never met him but followed his blog & Twitter feed. After he left FBGs staff he posted for a couple years on h.s. & college kicker prospects, soccer, and some NFL kicker news. Kickology ceased posting10/29/15 without explanation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg Z dropped in both leagues I’m in. 

I never carry two kickers, but If you can ditch a bench flyer that has limited upside, he’s probably worth grabbing.

Never met him but followed his blog & Twitter feed. After he left FBGs staff he posted for a couple years on h.s. & college kicker prospects, soccer, and some NFL kicker news. Kickology ceased posting10/29/15 without explanation.
 I only became a subscriber to FBG in 2014 and he was still involved then for the first 2 years I had the subscription, used to like pouring over his charts and trying to discern patterns 

Weather sucks and Matt Bryant is trending down but I'm sticking with him.  Not holding 2 stupid kickers.  I hate kickers.  Wish it was not part of the starting roster requirements

Do you guys think Succop is worth holding through the bye week, like Greg Z?  Someone dropped him in my league and thinking of taking the 0 at kicker this week to pick him up.

Weather sucks and Matt Bryant is trending down but I'm sticking with him.  Not holding 2 stupid kickers.  I hate kickers.  Wish it was not part of the starting roster requirements
I would move on. No reason to play him in bad weather in a bad matchup. 

VikingFrog said:
Greg Z dropped in both leagues I’m in. 

I never carry two kickers, but If you can ditch a bench flyer that has limited upside, he’s probably worth grabbing.
Same situation. Have Tucker but wanted to hold him through his upcoming bye. Usually like to start the same kicker every week because I hate trying to guess week to week kicker but Legatron seemed worth my last bench spot. 

Will probably pick one in a few weeks.

I traded him and $5 in FAAB money for Hauschka to the Succop owner. Happy to be moving on from Bryant, even if it cost me 2.5 percent of my FAAB.

Same situation. Have Tucker but wanted to hold him through his upcoming bye. Usually like to start the same kicker every week because I hate trying to guess week to week kicker but Legatron seemed worth my last bench spot. 

Will probably pick one in a few weeks.
I picked up legatron in both leagues and will drop Gostkowski next week.

15-20+ point weeks from your K are awesome when they come, but what I want more than anything is a guy who is on an offense that consistently provides FGA. The floor is more important than the ceiling when it comes to the position we’d all prefer to eliminate.

Butker, Elliott, & Lutz are the only three kickers who have yet to score below 8

No mention of Cinci's Bullock here. Cinci a heavy favorite. At home. 

Would think floor is high and he's freely available.

15-20+ point weeks from your K are awesome when they come, but what I want more than anything is a guy who is on an offense that consistently provides FGA. The floor is more important than the ceiling when it comes to the position we’d all prefer to eliminate.

Butker, Elliott, & Lutz are the only three kickers who have yet to score below 8
True, it's such a game dependent position you need to have as much as possible surrounding the guy. Nothing worse than taking a zero because of a shutout, even rbs & wrs can pile up a few yardage points in those kind of games.

Couple thoughts:

- Nugent for the Cowpokes had a nice first game.

- Butker has been outta control good. Two 20+ points in 4 games is the stuff of season changing RB2's. I'm not dropping him at the bye. Funny thing is Carolina took the unusual step of an NFL team to carry two kickers to hold him, so why shouldn't an FF team?

Couple thoughts:

- Nugent for the Cowpokes had a nice first game.

- Butker has been outta control good. Two 20+ points in 4 games is the stuff of season changing RB2's. I'm not dropping him at the bye. Funny thing is Carolina took the unusual step of an NFL team to carry two kickers to hold him, so why shouldn't an FF team?
I kept "The Leg" through his bye....points are points.

Dallas & Houston K were both available this week, went Houston just because things are a little unsettled on Dallas O. with the RB thingy. Would have settled for Nugent though.

Held Zeuerlein through the bye, picked up Butker who was just lying around and was pleased with the results. Now i'm faced with who to start, never thought i'd have to agonize over a kicker, seems stupid. Probably stay with Butker since theyre indoors this week.

Does anyone know how well Prater kicks in cold temperatures?   Wind speeds look low but it looks like it'll be around 32 degrees Monday night, not sure if that would sway you at all with him?

Rushed out in waivers earlier this week and grabbed the HOU kicker K. Fairbairn. That looked like a genius move at the time, but now with Watson out I see that game as a potential offensive clunker. He's not getting the floor of 5 XPs now plus maybe 2-3 FGs. However, I've noticed all the experts still have him ranked top 5. Dumb as usual.

Thinking B. Walsh is a good get. SEA at home. Rolling. Wash travelling west minus several weapons (Crowder/Reed) and all kinds of banged up on the offensive line. Blowout.

Pete Carroll tells 710 ESPN Seattle that the Seahawks won't take a look at any other kickers this week after Blair Walsh missed all three of his field goal attempts against Washington. Carroll noted that Walsh was 12 of 13 on the season before Sunday.

Brady Henderson, ESPN

I think it's time to dump Matt Bryant with him being hurt again and the falcons sucking. Thoughts on lambo?

It seems guys like Buntker, Succup and Legatron are locks for big points. With the exception of a down week here and there.

It seems guys like Buntker, Succup and Legatron are locks for big points. With the exception of a down week here and there.
So they're locks except when they're not?  :rolleyes:

But overall, as I've said elsewhere in this thread, the most accurate predictor of how a kicker will do ROS tends to be what they've done so far in the season (but not what they've done in previous seasons, which is why you shouldn't draft one early).

So yes, I think it's worth trying to get one of those three, especially Butker and Zuerlein since they're on such good offenses.

Someone dropped Elliott in my league.

I have a second defense I was gonna drop for a RB lotto ticket but I'm thinking about picking up Elliott and have 2 kickers for one week

Users who are viewing this thread