What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Official Kicker (K) Thread (1 Viewer)

LionOfGosforth said:
Sick to death of kickers this year, have used Prater, McManus, Succop, Rosas and Maher and I don't think i've gotten more than about 6 out of any of them.
Sounds about right.  Prater kicks 2-3 FGs for a couple weeks and then 2 XPs when I pick him up.  Think I will try to trade for Tucker or Goskowski during their bye weeks to stop this madness.☠️

Ray Barboni said:
You dudes are making me rethink dropping Fairbairn during his bye this week ...

Elliot has been pretty good since Wentz has returned, he’s available. The rookie in LAC is interesting, Mike Badgley. 

I just don’t view Fairbairn as a bye week must hold type, although he is 2nd or 3rd in FGA on a good offense, without a running game.
Actually, might be smart.  He definitely gets opportunities

Kind of wish I had just kept Zuerlien during his injury.  I was going to pick him back up a week before he came back, but somebody beat me too it.

My general rule is that unless I have a prestigious scorer at the K position, I just drop them on their bye week and figure it out from there. 

Based on all the misery in this thread, do you think dropping Justin Tucker should be avoided? I love the guy's talent, and realistically, he might be the best kicker in the league (though I'd personally lean towards Legatron). However, the opportunities don't seem to be there. He's averaging 8.8 points a game in my league, but last week was the first time in the last five weeks that he even broke ten. 

Matt Bryant - K -  Falcons

Matt Bryant (hamstring) remained sidelined at Wednesday's practice.

Bryant tested out his hamstring last week, but we never heard any good news on that. Giorgio Tavecchio will keep kicking in his absence and is obviously on the fantasy radar as the kicker in the Falcons' high-scoring offense.

Nov 7 - 6:27 PM

You dudes are making me rethink dropping Fairbairn during his bye this week ...

Elliot has been pretty good since Wentz has returned, he’s available. The rookie in LAC is interesting, Mike Badgley. 

I just don’t view Fairbairn as a bye week must hold type, although he is 2nd or 3rd in FGA on a good offense, without a running game.
Funny you say that. I had that same decision to make - I dropped a DB to add a BYE replacement.  But that’s a deep bench league. I wouldn’t drop anyone good to hold on a kicker. 

Fairbaim has had the 2nd most opportunities of any K. He was #1 until he had 6 PAT & 0 FG (which was kinda flukey) 

but yeah - if you have a back end POS to drop, do that. 

Hot Sauce Guy said:
Funny you say that. I had that same decision to make - I dropped a DB to add a BYE replacement.  But that’s a deep bench league. I wouldn’t drop anyone good to hold on a kicker. 

Fairbaim has had the 2nd most opportunities of any K. He was #1 until he had 6 PAT & 0 FG (which was kinda flukey) 

but yeah - if you have a back end POS to drop, do that. 
Im holding Baily but considering dropping him for Fairbaim

My general rule is that unless I have a prestigious scorer at the K position, I just drop them on their bye week and figure it out from there. 

Based on all the misery in this thread, do you think dropping Justin Tucker should be avoided? I love the guy's talent, and realistically, he might be the best kicker in the league (though I'd personally lean towards Legatron). However, the opportunities don't seem to be there. He's averaging 8.8 points a game in my league, but last week was the first time in the last five weeks that he even broke ten. 
I will not be dropping Greg The Leg on his bye. I will likely drop David Moore or Herndon instead.

Someone dropped Lutz on his bye and I picked him up immediately. Glad I did, too.  #1 kicker in my league

Last edited by a moderator:
Bucs waived K Chandler Catanzaro.

Catanzaro entered Week 10 10-of-13 on field goal attempts, but he missed two more in the Bucs' dispiriting loss to the Redskins. We suppose it's a justifiable move, but coach Dirk Koetter is simply re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic at this point.

Related: Buccaneers

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Nov 12 - 2:17 PM

Sick to death of kickers this year, have used Prater, McManus, Succop, Rosas and Maher and I don't think i've gotten more than about 6 out of any of them.
The K middle class is even worse than the TE middle class. I'm stuck there too. Thought I would get Crosby coming off his bye but my brother snaked me by rostering a K in the MNF game and then, when his  matchup was already decided, getting Crosby before the game started.

Since then I've had Fairbarm and Maher. They're both about the same. I hate that neither has much upside and the one I don't go with will probably have a better season

Based on scoring for the subscriber contest, here are the top ten, (PPG):

Zuerlein - 13.18

Lutz - 12.16

Crosby - 10.76

Myers - 10.6

Bailey - 10.37

Gostkowski - 10.18

Fairbairn - 10.08

Butker - 10.01

Tavecchio - 9.87

Maher - 9.64

Santos signed by TB

he did well kicking for Rams

as long as Kotter isn't calling plays he should do just as well 

Anyone have any recent scoop on Matt Bryant? I sure would like to avoid making a move this week, and continue rolling with Tavecchio in the home dome v the Cowboys...

Phil Dawson (hip) is questionable for Week 11 against the Raiders.

Cardinals coach Steve Wilks is labeling him as a "game-time decision." The Cardinals worked out Matt McCrane on Friday and would likely turn to him if Dawson can't go on Sunday. The 20-year vet has made just four field goals in his nine games this season.

Source: Darren Urban on Twitter 

Nov 16 - 2:33 PM

Anyone have any recent scoop on Matt Bryant? I sure would like to avoid making a move this week, and continue rolling with Tavecchio in the home dome v the Cowboys...
He practiced in full. I added him back in both leagues. The falcons are always in shootouts, and they rarely go for it if they’re in FG range. He was money for me.

That said, I had guys in both leagues who were droppable, so I now carry 2 kickers in both. I couldn’t risk picking him up & having a surprise inactive or mid-game injury.  

Matt McCrane - K -  Cardinals

Cardinals signed Matt McCrane.

McCrane is expected to replace Phil Dawson (questionable, hip) Sunday. He'll get to face his former team after being let go by Oakland earlier this year.

Source: azcardinals.com 

Nov 17 - 4:31 PM

heads up Matt Bryant is active today. I actually had the other guy in my lineup and just happened to catch this news.

Can anyone explain to me why putting on a Buccaneers or Chargers unifrom causes kickers to miss extra points?  These teams seem to have perennial issues with kickers, despite oft-changing personnel, and even a change of city by one of the beleaguered franchises. 

But still can't make an XP...

So Greg the Leg goes on bye this coming week -- how are people addressing?

Was lucky to snag Gostkowski who was on the wire for his own bye, in a favotable match up against the Jets. 

My question is -- given ROS and talent, should I free up the roster space by droppign Greg? Gostkowski arguably has just a good a shot to end up as top K ROS as he does.

I would do so to build depth into the playoffs at core positions, but nothing immediately startable.

Or do the Greg the Leg denizens here feel he is worth holding through the bye compared to, well, a comparable K?

Was lucky to snag Gostkowski who was on the wire for his own bye, in a favotable match up against the Jets. 

My question is -- given ROS and talent, should I free up the roster space by droppign Greg? Gostkowski arguably has just a good a shot to end up as top K ROS as he does.

I would do so to build depth into the playoffs at core positions, but nothing immediately startable.

Or do the Greg the Leg denizens here feel he is worth holding through the bye compared to, well, a comparable K?
I'm in the same boat and both Gostkowski & Elliot are available. I intend to drop Greg the leg for one of those. If I can get him back next week, great. But with those options available, I'm not holding onto 2 kickers. 

I'm in the same boat and both Gostkowski & Elliot are available. I intend to drop Greg the leg for one of those. If I can get him back next week, great. But with those options available, I'm not holding onto 2 kickers. 
Between those two, I think Gost is the better pick, both this week and ROS. They are close, I just trust the NE offense generating chances a little more consistently. That said, PHI are past a stretch of tough games and have a few lighter match ups before facing the Rams in WK 15 and Houston during Ship Week. NE has two tougher matchups in MIN and PIT along with the soft AFC East Jets, Fins, Bills.

Basically, may be a wash, but I lean Gost out of those two.

I think it’s madness to consider dropping him.  You hold Zuerlein no matter what IMO.  He’s essentially a lock for 10+ points every week (5/6 weeks this year and 10/14 weeks last year with 2pt bonus for 50+ yards), and you simply can’t say that about anyone else at the position. Lutz is as close as it gets, and if we’re not taking into account the week Zuerlein was injured, then he’s averaging 1.5ppg more than him and 3ppg+ over everyone else in the field.  

Don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing wrong with those other kickers, they’re just not Zuerlein.

Picked up Fairbairn this past week and he was decent (made a 54 yarder) but missed a chip shot field goal. Scored 13 for me, though I dropped Maher to pick him up and of course Maher scored the same amount of points, can't win 😂

Can anyone explain to me why putting on a Buccaneers or Chargers unifrom causes kickers to miss extra points?  These teams seem to have perennial issues with kickers, despite oft-changing personnel, and even a change of city by one of the beleaguered franchises. 

But still can't make an XP...
It can be very challenging kicking in warm weather climates at sea level...lol

Stompin' Tom Connors said:

I'm keeping Greg. It's like an automatic 10 points +.

I see several options available:

* C. Santos -- Not sure I trust him. Could be a high scoring game between TB/SF but Santos seems like one of those guys that can miss several XPs and FGs.

* K. Fairbairn -- Low scoring game probably where HOU struggles in the redzone.

* J. Elliott -- Somebody just dropped him for Matt Bryant (who I hate this week...never play a K against NO...too much risk of blowout mode). Still, not sure I trust PHI offense enough.

* D. Bailey -- Think this is a sneaky good play this week. Feel a MN positive gamescript at home in the dome against a reeling GB team. Feel MN gets on track here.

So, ROS:

keep Lutz or try to pick up Bryant?
I would just roll with Lutz. 

#1 kicker in fantasy, already had his bye. What's not to like?

Trying to decide between Gould and Fairbairn for Greg's bye week over here.

I would just roll with Lutz. 

#1 kicker in fantasy, already had his bye. What's not to like?

Trying to decide between Gould and Fairbairn for Greg's bye week over here.
Either one looks good.....maybe Gould vs. the Vikings.

Either one looks good.....maybe Gould vs. the Vikings.
Thanks, Gould is playing at Tampa actually but I ended up going with Fairbairn.

Was surprised to learn Fairbairn is the #3 kicker on the year, and only 2 points behind Butker who hasn't had his bye yet.

I figure I trust Houston's offense a little more, and Houston/Tenn feels like a game that could have 12 FGs combined. Also, Monday night.

I've held Prater all year, he's 10th in scoring in my league (could be worse)  16 team league and Janikowski is out there and I'm thinking about dropping Prater for him.

Prater schedule next 4 weeks

LAR, @Ari, @Buff, Minn

Janikowski schedule next 4 weeks

SF, Minn, @SF, KC

Mostly concerned about weeks 14-16 as I am already in the playoffs.  Not sure that Janikowski's schedule is better or not.

ETA: Myers is available too, missed that.  He's third in points for the year (27 points in week 6), may go that route

I've held Prater all year, he's 10th in scoring in my league (could be worse)  16 team league and Janikowski is out there and I'm thinking about dropping Prater for him.

Prater schedule next 4 weeks

LAR, @Ari, @Buff, Minn

Janikowski schedule next 4 weeks

SF, Minn, @SF, KC

Mostly concerned about weeks 14-16 as I am already in the playoffs.  Not sure that Janikowski's schedule is better or not.

ETA: Myers is available too, missed that.  He's third in points for the year (27 points in week 6), may go that route
For every other position I spend a lot of time looking at strength of schedule, but I think it doesn't matter for kickers.  Main things to look for would be:

Good accuracy, high over/under, team is favored to win, and good weather.

The current #1 seed in our league (could end up 3rd, it’s tight) decided to drop his backup TE to pickup Zuerlain on his bye week.

His starting TE is notable Ironman Jake Reed.

His backup was underperforming Kyle Rudolph.

:unsure:

Zuerlain’s got a sweet PPG again this year when healthy. However, I’m thinking the Ravens RPO with Jackson/Edwards will lead to more drives breaking down, e.g., more FGA, than the Rams chunk play powerhouse.
Somehow I got both Tucker and Zuerlein on my team as I was playing keep away from playoff teams that were weak at kicker.   Right now I am playing matchup's with Z in this week.  We get negative for misses so I think I will keep Tucker as I think the same as you plus he rarely misses.  

Users who are viewing this thread