What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Official Kicker (K) Thread (1 Viewer)

In the most bizarre experience of my 20+ years playing FF, my kicker threw an interception (-3)....to my defensive lineman (+5)....for A net positive of +2 points.  :shock:

on another note, in the MNF Niners/Browns topic I got a little too excited (& buzzed) what with my team winning, and when criticizing Booger for well, being Booger, I used a masked swear-word. 

For my transgression I received a 6-day + 2 hour suspension. Maybe the mod thought I was directing it at a member rather than commenting on Booger’s commentary, but that doesn’t really matter.

It was my bad for violating that rule & i’d like to first apologize to @Joe Bryant, and also to the rest of the board community. It happened to be the week of the 1st K contest of the year & results/winner announcement were delayed as a result of my stupidity. 

I’ll try be, as Joe often says, “way cooler” in the future.

i will also get to the K contest results today to figure out a winner once I’ve got my orders filled & deliveries made - once again, my apologies for the delay, and to the entire community for my transgression.

Go Niners,

Scott
Welcome back, GB.

Welcome back!

Please tell us that these 2 points were the margin of victory in that game.  That's the kind of epic tale that a fantasy owner will remember forever!
They didn’t hurt? :lol:   But alas,  no. 

see: bragging, venting  pinned topic for the true story of heroism in that league this week. 

I jumped the gun with my guess.  This contest is a classic form of The Price Is Right.  If anyone else picks Lambo, I will adjust my points based on their projected points.  The guy with the last guess has a huge advantage, so this thread should be rocking right before kickoff.
Actually it's a little different. Price is Right you can't go over. In this contest if someone goes over by say, 3 points of the total points guess, and is 5 yards too long on their guess of the long FG for their pony, they're off by 8.  Someone else might be short 4 points, and under the long by 7 yards, and they're off by 11. The team that went over still wins, because they were closer to the actual number.

Where the early bird has an advantage is they lock in the guess 1st, so if a duplicate comes along, they win. Though that's never happened before - probably b/c I always mention that in the rules. :yes:  

Calculating the week 5 winner now - stay tuned! 

Maybe we could make a new thread for the hot sauce competition? 

Dont get me wrong, I love it.

but I’m also a fantasy nerd and mostly click on this link to hear about, uh, kicker stuff.  Not just dudes trying to win some spicy gold.
This has been (repeatedly) asked and answered. The answer is 1 page back, in this case. 

Joe Bryant runs this site. He explicitly said that this topic was the best place for it. If he'd like for me to start a dedicated topic for it, I'm happy to do so, but he said it should go here, so I am doing it here. 

If anything, I would think there's great value in seeing how people project kickers for the week, so a self-professed K geek such as yourself should LOVE to see how people project K's when a contest like this is up. 

It's usually more traffic than the K topic gets in several days, and people can still see any K news, however rare that is.  

Zeurlein.   52 yards.  14 points.
This was the winning entry! Congratulations @-fish-!  This was one of the closest this contest has ever been. You edged out @wormburner by a tiny margin. 

-fish- had  Zeurlein 14, with a long of 52

womburner had 15 with a long of 54

Zuerlein actually had 13.5 with a long of 47

That's really, really close, but in the end -fish- was a little closer in both points & distance. 

Please DM me with a shipping address, -fish- & I'll send out your hot sauce as soon as I have that. If you have a desired preference of mild-to-med or med or med-to-hot, let me know. 

Thanks again for playing everyone, and I'll be sure to run another one of these soon. Maybe around Halloween - I don't want to do too many & interrupt all that urgent critical kicker news that comes in rapid fire all day, every day.  :unsure:

/sarcasm

Welcome back, and thanks for running the contest. You ever wonder how  history might be different if ‘booger’ had been on George Carlin’s list of 7 dirty words? Maybe it would have bumped whatever word you used and you’d have been alright! 😉

Welcome back, and thanks for running the contest. You ever wonder how  history might be different if ‘booger’ had been on George Carlin’s list of 7 dirty words? Maybe it would have bumped whatever word you used and you’d have been alright! 😉
Might even have made MNF more bearable...

For those that are lucky enough to win, as a Lucky Dog enthusiast my recommendations are the following...

If you like a little heat but not too much, the medium Alderwood-smoked Serrano peeper sauce is for you.

If you want something with a little more heat and amazing flavor, the Year of the Dog Thai Chile Pineapple Sauce is amazing.

For high octane heat, the Applewood-smoked Habenero pepper sauce is for you.

I love all three and have created different blends with all of them.

There's also an extra hot Trinidad Scorpion peach & roasted garlic sauce that I haven't tried yet, but will by the end of the week.

Jake Elliott is the first kicker to throw an interception since Paul Edinger of the Chicago Bears in 2004.

As near as I can tell, he's only the 6th kicker to throw an interception since the merger.

Mike Badgley (groin) has resumed practicing in full.

Badgley has yet to kick this season. He should have been placed on injured reserve long ago, but the Bolts kept him on the 53-man roster while going with embarrassing fill-in options. Badgley won't be a good streaming option for Sunday's road trip to Tennessee.

Oct 17, 2019, 5:39 PM ET

Mike Badgley (groin) has resumed practicing in full.

Badgley has yet to kick this season. He should have been placed on injured reserve long ago, but the Bolts kept him on the 53-man roster while going with embarrassing fill-in options. Badgley won't be a good streaming option for Sunday's road trip to Tennessee.

Oct 17, 2019, 5:39 PM ET
I don't get it. If he's fully healed, and practicing in full without limitation, why is he not a good streaming option -- or even as a go-forward kicker?

LAC is not the team we thought they were coming into the season, but they have Henry back, and still have solid O and D pieces. This week they face a TEN D that prevent teams from scoring on them. 

I don't get it. If he's fully healed, and practicing in full without limitation, why is he not a good streaming option -- or even as a go-forward kicker?

LAC is not the team we thought they were coming into the season, but they have Henry back, and still have solid O and D pieces. This week they face a TEN D that prevent teams from scoring on them. 
I think they're just saying as a streaming option the matchup with Tennessee isn't a good one.  They give up the third fewest points to kickers in the league.

With Slye off I picked up McManus last night. FML. The zero was just the capper on a sh|tful night. Mahomes gets hurt but my opponent had Hill who outscores Mahomes and Suckland had 84 yards at half time and if he hits a 100 he gets a 5 point bonus. 

Ends with 87 yards. FML

Yeah yeah point to the shirt or whatever...

I think they're just saying as a streaming option the matchup with Tennessee isn't a good one.  They give up the third fewest points to kickers in the league.
True...but missing some pieces right now on that D (mainly just about every rush linebacker they have).

If fish has won multiple times I think I need him to start picking my kicker each year or maybe do a preseason kicking thread and tell us your thoughts :)

If fish has won multiple times I think I need him to start picking my kicker each year or maybe do a preseason kicking thread and tell us your thoughts :)
Years ago someone posted something based on years of historic data that the top 3 kickers after week 3 nearly always end up in the top 5 at the end of the season.   There's almost always one that's a surprise that you can pick up off waivers after week 3,  since people tend to ignore ongoing performance and just draft the known names and then they don't pay attention until their kicker gets to a bye week, misses a bunch of kicks or gets hurt (I just looked at my league...people are rostering kickers who by points scored are 23, 30 and 32).  People liked Fairbairn, for example, because Houston seemed like a good offense and they play in stadium with a retractable roof.  He's 23rd in points scored right now, because it turns out that playing in a dome doesn't matter that much and some teams just  end up kicking more field goals, regardless of what their offense looks like.  

This year the #3 kicker after 3 weeks was Zane Gonzales. I picked him up for $0.  In my league is now #4 in points scored.   He's scored 27 points more than Fairbairn.  

I've been using this strategy for several years and it's worked very well.   The good thing with this method is you don't need to do any research at all.

Years ago someone posted something based on years of historic data that the top 3 kickers after week 3 nearly always end up in the top 5 at the end of the season.   There's almost always one that's a surprise that you can pick up off waivers after week 3,  since people tend to ignore ongoing performance and just draft the known names and then they don't pay attention until their kicker gets to a bye week, misses a bunch of kicks or gets hurt (I just looked at my league...people are rostering kickers who by points scored are 23, 30 and 32).  People liked Fairbairn, for example, because Houston seemed like a good offense and they play in stadium with a retractable roof.  He's 23rd in points scored right now, because it turns out that playing in a dome doesn't matter that much and some teams just  end up kicking more field goals, regardless of what their offense looks like.  

This year the #3 kicker after 3 weeks was Zane Gonzales. I picked him up for $0.  In my league is now #4 in points scored.   He's scored 27 points more than Fairbairn.  

I've been using this strategy for several years and it's worked very well.   The good thing with this method is you don't need to do any research at all.
My strategy is a little more simple.

1. Dome if possible 

2. late BYE week

3. offense that’s good but struggles in the RZ. 

hard to predict the last one year over year because teams get better & worse, but that’s worked pretty well for me.

and like you, if they don’t work out I just grab whoever is going well for the first few weeks. 

kickers are just so random week to week. An offense that scores 35 is highly successful yet the K get 5 PATs for a terrible game. Such a crap shoot. 

so health; weather conditions, and being at least a top 1/3 of the league in offense production seem a little more like predictable parameters. 

With Slye off I picked up McManus last night. FML. The zero was just the capper on a sh|tful night. Mahomes gets hurt but my opponent had Hill who outscores Mahomes and Suckland had 84 yards at half time and if he hits a 100 he gets a 5 point bonus. 

Ends with 87 yards. FML

Yeah yeah point to the shirt or whatever...
Hey I did the wise move of picking up Nugent ahead of the curve or so I thought. I saw him miss the FG vs the Giants and then my second thought was no biggie, he'll get more. The Pats must have passed on at least two FGAs after that. I lost by 1.5.  :mellow: > :banned:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey I did the wise move of picking up Nugent ahead of the curve or so I thought. I saw him miss the FG vs the Giants and then my second thought was no biggie, he'll get more. The Pats must have passed on at least two FGAs after that. I lost by 1.5.  :mellow: > :banned:
That hurts. The year I lobbied for negative points for MFG under 30 / MXP of -1, my kicker missed an XP in a game I lost by .3 point. And missed the playoffs by 1 game.

I’ve hated kickers ever since. 

Ok, I’m a sucker for this thread, precisely because people hate kickers so much. But, you know what? They are part of the game, like it or not. And they can greatly impact the game, like it or not. So, I steadfastly include them in my league. Not only that, I provide bonus points for longer kicks and subtract points for missed kicks ( except for kicks longer than 50 yds).

Ok, on to my post. Dropped Slye this week and picked up Gould. Felt bad and I hope that I can pick him back up later. However, I’m in bye week hell, missing Chubb, Godwin, and Carolina D, so something had to give. While Gould is not a top 10 kicker in my league (too many misses), he does have a decent amount of attempts, through the bye week, and a good defense. That was my reasoning, anyway, for choosing him over Zane...

For what it’s worth. Long live the kicker thread!!!

Imma give it one more week for Elliott. I hate to drop a K who’s been perfect on the year & has a leg to kick 50+ accurately. 

its not his fault the opportunities haven’t been been there. But I need points from my K & he’s been a little below average. 

Imma give it one more week for Elliott. I hate to drop a K who’s been perfect on the year & has a leg to kick 50+ accurately. 

its not his fault the opportunities haven’t been been there. But I need points from my K & he’s been a little below average. 
I'm telling ya, he's a frustrating kicker to own because Pederson both goes for it and goes for two a little more frequently than other coaches do...

just tellin' ya...🎶

I'm telling ya, he's a frustrating kicker to own because Pederson both goes for it and goes for two a little more frequently than other coaches do...

just tellin' ya...🎶
Oh I’m aware.  What mitigates that a little is that Wentz is my QB1, so in drives they go for it I don’t mind if it’s a TD Instead of a FG. 

I have reduced my frustration by refusing to watch MY kicker kick a field goal.   I change channels & come back 30 seconds later.  This has had a dramatic effect on my overall well being.

I'm going to file this under "my great contribution" to the kicker thread.

your welcome.

I have reduced my frustration by refusing to watch MY kicker kick a field goal.   I change channels & come back 30 seconds later.  This has had a dramatic effect on my overall well being.

I'm going to file this under "my great contribution" to the kicker thread.

your welcome.
LOL... I’m with you.

I watched the Zany cardinals line up for a 50+ yarder Sunday only to get a false start and proceed to trot out the punter.

Been streaming kickers all year and now I've actually got a tough decision to make. Usually there isn't more than 1 guy available with a good matchup. I'm trying to evaluate between:

Dan Bailey, MIN vs WAS, on Thursday, or

Chris Boswell, PIT vs MIA, on Monday.

Both games at home and with the same spread & over/under total, for identical projected scores of 29-13.

To complicate things, his QB is Kirk Cousins and I have Stefon Diggs, and my QB is Mason Rudolph. 

think if I feel I'm the favorite, I should go with Boswell to decrease variance, but I'm not exactly sure. So if Rudolph does poorly coming back from the concussion at least Boswell can bail me out. The Cousins/Diggs alignment is enough to decrease variance from that game, and putting in another Vikings player while foregoing the Steelers kicker has a higher potential to backfire.
I considered both these guys as well and went with Boswell. Hasn’t missed a kick all year, Steelers offense isn’t as efficient as the Vike’s is and I like the Steelers defense to dominate a little more- force more TOs and short fields and hopefully non-td drives.

Titans designated K Ryan Succop (knee) to return from injured reserve.

Succop has returned to practice, but he's not eligible to return until Week 9 given league policies. It sounds like Succop will be ready when he's eligible.

SOURCE: Titans on Twitter

Oct 23, 2019, 6:10 PM ET

my QB is Mason Rudolph. 
Combining Rudolph and Boswell would be a good strategy if you need a moderate amount to win.  But it would be difficult for both of them to have big games.  If you picked up Jason Sanders from Miami you'd have the option to play him over Boswell in case you need big points from both your kicker and your quarterback.  If you are in a league that allows pickups up until gametime, you wouldn't even have to burn two roster spots to do the replacement.

Been streaming kickers all year and now I've actually got a tough decision to make. Usually there isn't more than 1 guy available with a good matchup. I'm trying to evaluate between:

Dan Bailey, MIN vs WAS, on Thursday, or

Chris Boswell, PIT vs MIA, on Monday.

Both games at home and with the same spread & over/under total, for identical projected scores of 29-13.

To complicate things, his QB is Kirk Cousins and I have Stefon Diggs, and my QB is Mason Rudolph. 

think if I feel I'm the favorite, I should go with Boswell to decrease variance, but I'm not exactly sure. So if Rudolph does poorly coming back from the concussion at least Boswell can bail me out. The Cousins/Diggs alignment is enough to decrease variance from that game, and putting in another Vikings player while foregoing the Steelers kicker has a higher potential to backfire.
Kirk Cousins revenge game.  Expect Minn to run up the score on a woeful Washington squad.  I’d go Bailey here, as I need to see that Rudolph is able to run the Pitt offense before trusting them to get enough drives going to score.  

Granted being vs. Miami is such a plus option it may override everything else, but I’d feel safer with the Vikings here.

Kirk Cousins revenge game.  Expect Minn to run up the score on a woeful Washington squad.  I’d go Bailey here, as I need to see that Rudolph is able to run the Pitt offense before trusting them to get enough drives going to score.  

Granted being vs. Miami is such a plus option it may override everything else, but I’d feel safer with the Vikings here.
This is what I chose in my league. That means it's totally you-know-whatted.

To cover Tucker bye I think I'm gonna go with this guy Myers from Seattle. They are at Atlanta. So crappy D, dome. Sign me up. Though only like 73% FG. Oof.

Either that or Prater was just cut. Detroit has Giants at home. Another tasty cut. Boz also available with the aforementioned home vs. Fish. So no matter what, seem like some nice bye week options out there.

To cover Tucker bye I think I'm gonna go with this guy Myers from Seattle. They are at Atlanta. So crappy D, dome. Sign me up. Though only like 73% FG. Oof.

Either that or Prater was just cut. Detroit has Giants at home. Another tasty cut. Boz also available with the aforementioned home vs. Fish. So no matter what, seem like some nice bye week options out there.
Myers was an All-Pro last year with the Jets, so the talent is there.

Prater is a solid season-long kicker who would be numbered among the elite if not for an annual one or two games where he totally destroys fantasy teams.

Odds are good that this isn’t one of those weeks.  I like Prater here.

Prater is a solid season-long kicker who would be numbered among the elite if not for an annual one or two games where he totally destroys fantasy teams.

Odds are good that this isn’t one of those weeks.  I like Prater here.
Yeah, leaning Prater. Hopefully he's not claimed. Though gotta say, it sure is nice having Tucker in dynasty. Can't believe someone cut him to cover a bye a few years ago. I pounced on that. Someone above said they prefer not to watch their kicker to avoid frustration. Just draft Tucker. Totally different experience. :)

Users who are viewing this thread