What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Official Kicker (K) Thread (6 Viewers)

Will the Pats pick Folk back up next week or the week after? Saturday is the last day for transactions in my league so I need to get my roster squared away and don't know whether Folk will be back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tucker too and after watching Baltimore go on 4th down up big vs rams because analytics has me concerned.  Thinking about siebert  instead.  
Totally agreed, except for the Siebert in Pittsburgh part of the equation. That would honestly give me pause and I usually wouldn't note it but for that it does just that. I don't think Siebert has been that accurate nor deep, and he gets Heinz? Probably not great. I could be wrong, though. Consult a second source.

I have tucker too and after watching Baltimore go on 4th down up big vs rams because analytics has me concerned.  Thinking about siebert  instead.  
Tucker is the second highest scoring kicker this season.  He has been a top 5 kicker throughout his career.  He has a strong, accurate leg and is on a powerful offense.  He is literally the only kicker in the NFL that has zero question marks.  Weather would be the only reason to bench him.  Unfortunately, all of his remaining games are outdoors in northern cities.

Tucker is the second highest scoring kicker this season.  He has been a top 5 kicker throughout his career.  He has a strong, accurate leg and is on a powerful offense.  He is literally the only kicker in the NFL that has zero question marks.  Weather would be the only reason to bench him.  Unfortunately, all of his remaining games are outdoors in northern cities.
Don, how is Ben Watson working out as TE3 ROY? As for Tucker, no, weather wouldn't be the only league to bench him. In my league, he's PK5, nothing to sneeze at, but has had usage days due to Harbaugh's analytics. Money Badger averages more than Tucker per game. Money Badger's opposing quarterback this week? Drew Lock. Money Badger's weather. Sunny and mile high.

Money Badger it is, Don. :D

I’m sure this gets asked every year.

In an important matchup. What are people’s thoughts on playing the kicker of your opponents qb. Assuming he’s a decent kicker.

Example. I’m going against Rivers and have the choice between Badgely and Gonzales. 

In my mind, Badgely provides me a chance to A) score if Rivers sputters B) secure a point if he scores.

Usually edges out for me.

Of course there’s always the off chance the QB throws for tons of TDs and you only get a few extra points.

I’m sure this gets asked every year.

In an important matchup. What are people’s thoughts on playing the kicker of your opponents qb. Assuming he’s a decent kicker.

Example. I’m going against Rivers and have the choice between Badgely and Gonzales. 

In my mind, Badgely provides me a chance to A) score if Rivers sputters B) secure a point if he scores.

Usually edges out for me.

Of course there’s always the off chance the QB throws for tons of TDs and you only get a few extra points.
It's how much variance you want your lineup to have. I can't explain it fully, but they are tied together in some way. I suppose in this case, they would be negatively correlated, meaning you'd have more spread between the two scores than normal. 

Don, how is Ben Watson working out as TE3 ROY?
I stand by it.  I didn't say that Watson would be TE3, I said it was his ceiling.  He has played 79% of snaps since entering the starting lineup.  He has traditionally been a receiving tight end but they have chosen to use him mostly as a blocker.  With the Patriots having question marks at receiver and Brady liking the short passing game, it could have resulted in Watson putting up large fantasy stats.  He might still explode for a 3 touchdown game.  If you're going to be the kind of person that pulls up things from a month ago, at least do it in the appropriate thread.  I don't need a stalker following me around.

As for Tucker, no, weather wouldn't be the only league to bench him. In my league, he's PK5, nothing to sneeze at, but has had usage days due to Harbaugh's analytics. Money Badger averages more than Tucker per game. Money Badger's opposing quarterback this week? Drew Lock. Money Badger's weather. Sunny and mile high.

Money Badger it is, Don. :D
I'm in a lot of leagues and Tucker is the 2nd or 3rd highest scoring kicker in all of them.  Harbaugh has gone for it on 4th down 17 times this season.  The league average is 12.5 times.  So Tucker has maybe lost 2 or 3 field goal attempts that another coach would have given him.  But being on a prolific offense makes up for it.  That is why he is still a top 5 kicker this season.  And he is within a point per game of the top kicker.  That is not luck.  Tucker has proven himself at every point over the last 8 years.  He is the best kicker in the history of the NFL.  Badgley, on the other hand, has played 3 games this season.  That is a very small sample size.  Take away Badgley's big game in Week 9 and he would be averaging the 18th most fantasy points.  Badgley averaged the 17th most fantasy points last season.   Badgley's place as a top 5 kicker is far from definitive.  He is more likely an average fantasy kicker than an elite fantasy kicker.  Even with Tucker having 5 potentially bad weather games to finish the season, he is likely to outscore the Money Badger rest of season. 

So why are you comparing Tucker to Badgley anyway?  The person was asking if he should start Seibert over Tucker, not Badgley.

It's how much variance you want your lineup to have. I can't explain it fully, but they are tied together in some way. I suppose in this case, they would be negatively correlated, meaning you'd have more spread between the two scores than normal. 
I think I want that spread.

So why are you comparing Tucker to Badgley anyway?  The person was asking if he should start Seibert over Tucker, not Badgley.
Good points, all, and I may have made a mistake in thinking about it. I've got dreams of an ineffective red zone presence, short fields because of rookie QBs starting, and mile high air. If that don't break, I'll be sorry. There are still several others on the wire should I get cold feet.

As far as the quoted, it was because SID talked about it upthread and I'd had the same thought.

Good points, all, and I may have made a mistake in thinking about it. I've got dreams of an ineffective red zone presence, short fields because of rookie QBs starting, and mile high air. If that don't break, I'll be sorry. There are still several others on the wire should I get cold feet.

As far as the quoted, it was because SID talked about it upthread and I'd had the same thought.
It's hard to go wrong with a strong legged kicker playing in Denver in nice weather.  With the Chargers' offense sputtering, Anthony Lynn might be willing to risk some extra long field goals to get some points on the board.  Badgley's 59 yard field goal last year would have been good from 65 yards and it wasn't aided by thin air.  And Denver has given up the 2nd most points to opposing kickers this year.  Badgley might be the best kicker option in the league this week.

I actually just picked up Badgley in my big money league in an important game.  If I win, I'll get a first round bye.  I'm going to start Zane Gonzalez.  My opponent currently has Butker starting.  With high winds expected in KC, I don't want him to have the option of picking up Badgley.  I might even switch to Badgley.

Based on the 1st 12 weeks this year, there is a small positive correlation between a team's QB and Kicker (R-value of .24).  It is a stronger than the correlation than to RB,WR or TE.

Based on the 1st 12 weeks this year, there is a small positive correlation between a team's QB and Kicker (R-value of .24).  It is a stronger than the correlation than to RB,WR or TE.
Good stuff. What about the effects of home team, dome and opposing defense?

Robbie Gould off the injury report.

Anyone know if he's starting for sure?

I'm looking to lock up my K for weeks 15 and 16. He's a sneaky add now. SF faces ATL and LAR. Should be favored, D should give Gould opportunities, weather probably decent at home (or at least better than east coast messes).

Butker kicking in big wind. I may just carry a dome kicker for the playoffs. Too risky. 
Yeah, he's been my guy all year.   Not sure what I'm doing yet but the wind forecast has me very uneasy.   Wonder if anyone knows if these will be crosswinds or head/tail winds in KC.
Boy, that's a tough one.  KC might even pass on longer field goals.  I don't know the orientation of the stadium, but winds should be from the west to NW.

I guess it depends on how close you H2H competition is and whether you might need those extra 6 points or so.

Zuerlein for sure 
So your take is to grab a guy whose offense is doing so bad they cant move the ball and in his last 6 has had scores of...

Why would one be suggesting picking him up? Suggesting Z is the pure example of picking someone for his name. I cut him for Koo and made out so well.

Yup I cut the great name of Zuerlein for a dude who wasnt kicking until 4 weeks ago. Why? Names mean nothing. I dont see names, I see points, trends and matchups. Zs trend sucks and isnt worthy of rostering. The only reason one would roster him is his name, and that means nothing at kicker. 

Consistency is the name of the game for kickers. Thats all that matters. 8 point floor and as many weeks as u can. How is that looking for Z? 

Boy, that's a tough one.  KC might even pass on longer field goals.  I don't know the orientation of the stadium, but winds should be from the west to NW.

I guess it depends on how close you H2H competition is and whether you might need those extra 6 points or so.
Stadium is oriented East to West

So your take is to grab a guy whose offense is doing so bad they cant move the ball and in his last 6 has had scores of...

Why would one be suggesting picking him up? Suggesting Z is the pure example of picking someone for his name. I cut him for Koo and made out so well.

Yup I cut the great name of Zuerlein for a dude who wasnt kicking until 4 weeks ago. Why? Names mean nothing. I dont see names, I see points, trends and matchups. Zs trend sucks and isnt worthy of rostering. The only reason one would roster him is his name, and that means nothing at kicker. 

Consistency is the name of the game for kickers. Thats all that matters. 8 point floor and as many weeks as u can. How is that looking for Z? 
While Zuerlein is no longer a matchup proof kicker, he is still a good start this week.  It is a nice weather game against a team that has given up the 6th most points to opposing kickers.  Arizona is giving up an average of 28.8 points per game which is third worst in the league.  Zuerlein is 4 out of 5 on 50+ yard field goals this season.  Even with his poor 4 game streak, he is the 7th best kicker in leagues that give bonuses for long kicks and he is the 9th best kicker in leagues where all field goals are 3 points.  He has a high floor this week.

While Zuerlein is no longer a matchup proof kicker, he is still a good start this week.  It is a nice weather game against a team that has given up the 6th most points to opposing kickers.  Arizona is giving up an average of 28.8 points per game which is third worst in the league.  Zuerlein is 4 out of 5 on 50+ yard field goals this season.  Even with his poor 4 game streak, he is the 7th best kicker in leagues that give bonuses for long kicks and he is the 9th best kicker in leagues where all field goals are 3 points.  He has a high floor this week.
The question was rest of season, if I recall. 

Anyone know if R. Gould is taking K duties back over today for SF? Can't find info anywhere. Also don't see that McLaughlin was released.

Gould probably sitting on waivers and will most likely have the benefit of great game scripts the rest of the season. 

Currently have Gay, but he’s been killing me these past couple weeks. 

Badgley is available, but so is Crosby. I’ve seen Badgley mentioned here a bunch this last week, but don’t believe I’ve read anyone’s thoughts on Crosby. 

im no kicker expert whatsoever, so any insight from you all would be greatly appreciated. 

Currently have Gay, but he’s been killing me these past couple weeks. 

Badgley is available, but so is Crosby. I’ve seen Badgley mentioned here a bunch this last week, but don’t believe I’ve read anyone’s thoughts on Crosby. 

im no kicker expert whatsoever, so any insight from you all would be greatly appreciated. 
Crosby will be kicking in rain/sleet/snow so he is a bad option.  Gay is kicking in windy conditions.  Badgley is by far your best option.

you are correct in that I did not provide sufficient detail for my response (I'm sure I just didn't have the time), but no, it was not based on his "name".  I was looking at schedules (13-16)

Badgeley - @Den (could be good, but watch for weather),  @Jax (ok), Min (bad), Oak (ok)

Z - @Ari (good), @Sea (ok), @Dal (below avg),  @SF (bad)

All in all, not great schedules for either, but I consider Z to still be the superior kicker, esp if the league has bonuses for longer kicks.

Oh, and what historical data do we have for Badgeley this year?  16, 6, 10.  3 weeks.  That's it.

I offered an opinion, which I expected the guy to get additional opinions here or elsewhere, not just get Z because I said so in one word.  So, offer him an opinion and why it differs from my answer.  You didn't have to get into personal attacks.  If anything, I overanalyze everything, so take your attitude and stuff it.

Just pick the guy most likely to swing his legs most during the game, three or one point be damned.

I know, I know, but they're correlated at least.

Finally went with Elliott from Philadelphia. I'm looking more lucky to get leg swings than not. 

I hope. 

Man. Vinateri probably isn’t on anyone’s fantasy team, but this guy has cost the Colts some games this year. I’d argue they might have 9-10 wins with someone else.

Do they just keep him around due to history?

Gonzo got a single point in a game where the Cards only scored a TD in the 4th quarter.

Is he a hold going forward because this game is an aberration, or should I be looking to stream flavor of the week going forward?

Gonzo got a single point in a game where the Cards only scored a TD in the 4th quarter.

Is he a hold going forward because this game is an aberration, or should I be looking to stream flavor of the week going forward?
Arizona will keep fighting - 1st yr QB & coach will see to that.  Wks 14-16 are Pit, Cle, @Sea.  Semi-tough schedule, but not shut-down defenses, and that doesn't always correlate to K points anyway.  I'd hold and keep sticking him out there. 

Tucker went for nine yesterday in my league. Elliott went for thrirteen. Badgely went for nine with a miss that would have given him thirteen. This is a fallacy, but the run-up to the question seems like it was answered heartily. The reasons for cutting Tucker were valid if you needed to win one game and one game only.

Personally, I still missed the playoffs by two points.

Im cutting Koo and will pick up the best kicker before the 1pm games on Sunday. 

Gonzo may be that guy if I cant scoop Koo back up for the game against Carolina. I do worry about the punter switch botching some snaps. 

(Rotoworld) Cowboys coach Jason Garrett confirmed Brett Maher will remain the team's kicker.

Analysis: Maher missed a pair of field goals in Thursday's Thanksgiving loss to Buffalo (one was blocked), prompting the Cowboys to work out Austin MacGinnis, Nick Rose and Tristan Vizcaino. None of the three showed enough to crack the Cowboys' roster, though the struggling Maher is officially on notice. His nine misses are a league-high.
was going to ride maher (winning team, dome) thru the playoffs, but his 9 misses have me worried.

any advice on my other options?

Bailey, Dan MIN PK

McLaughlin, Chase SFO PK

Myers, Jason SEA PK

was going to ride maher (winning team, dome) thru the playoffs, but his 9 misses have me worried.

any advice on my other options?

Bailey, Dan MIN PK

McLaughlin, Chase SFO PK

Myers, Jason SEA PK
Avoid McLaughlin...he isn’t guaranteed work anymore with Gould back,

Matchup play between the other two imo.

Patriots waived K Kai Forbath.

Forbath missed an extra point in Week 13. The Patriots claimed DT Albert Huggins off of waivers from the Eagles in a corresponding roster move.

RELATED: 

New England Patriots

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter

Dec 2, 2019, 6:02 PM ET

49ers waived K Chase McLaughlin.

With Robbie Gould proving his health in Week 13, McLaughlin was no longer needed. Considering the sorry state of kicking around the league right now, McLaughlin — who also filled in for the Chargers earlier this season — has a decent shot at getting claimed off waivers. The 49ers might have tried dealing him for a conditional draft pick before cutting him loose.

RELATED: 

San Francisco 49ers

SOURCE: Matt Maiocco on Twitter

Dec 3, 2019, 4:57 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread