What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Official Kicker (K) Thread (6 Viewers)

Jagaurs K Stephen Hauschka (knee) is questionable for Week 4 agains the Bengals.

Coach Doug Maroone called Hauschka's injury "general soreness" and believes his kicker will be a game-time decision. If he can't kick, Aldrick Rosas will fill in. Rosas was signed to the practice squad this Monday. 

Oct 2, 2020, 8:36 PM ET

Hello FBG Kicker haters! 

It is time.

Time for the first K contest of the year. I like to give back to this community, & I also hate K's. They are random and stupid and they get hurt celebrating, and they miss kicks ruining my U/O bets and ruin point spreads. This contest gives us a reason to love Kickers again. Joe Bryant blessed the K contest a few years back, but I try to let the dust settle on breaking K news and movement the 1st few weeks of the season. Now that we've hit some equilibrium, it's time for a K contest! :pickle:

Here's how it works:  

• Pick a kicker. He's your pony for the week.
  • Guess that kicker's total points, and longest FG kicked using decimal scoring.
    Example: 30 yards or less = 3 points, with .1 for every yard thereafter. 45 yard FG = 4.5 points, 37 = 3.7 points, etc.  
  • This week has been a MPAT poop-show, so for this 1st contest MPAT = a whopping -5. Choose that K carefully, because 1 MPAT could kill ya! ☠️ 
  • The entry to the contest with the highest K score, who is closest to BOTH total points, and long distance will be the winner.
    Example: Entry A guesses their K will have 16 points, with a long of 47.  Entry B guesses their K will have 17 points with a long of 45.  Entry A's K has 17 points (1) with a long of 46 (1) for a total differential of 2.  Entry B's K has 17 points (0), with a long of 48 (3) for a total differential of 3. Entry A wins by having the smallest differential between both total points and distance.  
    If there is a tie, the entry with the earliest timestamp wins. 
  • What do you win? I'm glad you asked!  My handle is "Hot Sauce Guy" because I make award-winning hot sauce; with  a Grand Prize for Tasting Division at the 30th annual Fiery Food & BBQ Show in ABQ, NM, and a sauce on the hit show Hot Ones. If you are the leading prognosticator, I will send you 2 award-winning sauces of your choice of heat level, at no cost for sauce or shipping, and with no strings attached.
  • Is this some kinda marketing schtick?  My hot sauce was on a show with 8M subscribers and Trevor Noah said it danced on his tongue like Fred Astaire. If I wanted to spend $ on marketing, I'd probably be doing a contest somewhere with more folks than whoever randomly sees this on the K topic of FBG.  :lol:  
  • USA Shipping Only: You can enter if you're in Canada or Germany or Tanzania, you just have to ship to a friend in the US if you win. It is what it is. 
  • Note: DO NOT EDIT your post. Because time-stamp matters, you cannot have an edited post. Edited entries are DQ'd. If you change your mind (late week K injury, game cancellation, etc) simply hide your original post & post a new one. 
  • Don't forget to put the long-distance guess as well. You must guess BOTH the points total, and longest FG from your K. 
  • Note 2: Cut-off time is 5 mins before Kickoff for whichever K you select. You can use K from the TNF game, but you must post your entry by no later than 5 mins before kick-off on Thursday. 
That's it!  Make a guess, win some hot sauce. Doesn't get much easier than that and it's certainly worth the price of admission ($0), so get those guesses in for week 5! 

:pickle:  

Edit to clarify bullet point #4: that is not an either/or statement. ALL conditions must be met. Your guesses must be closest to the kicker’s actual points, AND long-distance FG. The closest point difference in the contest will win. The highest scoring kicker, or even the highest scoring kicker guessed is not the automatic winner. 

A kicker with 20 points and a long of 56 could be a losing pony if you guess 17 (3) and 48 (8) for a variance of 11. 

This contest is about your guessing performance accuracy, not what kicker has the most points of the week. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello FBG Kicker haters! 

It is time.

Time for the first K contest of the year. I like to give back to this community, & I also hate K's. They are random and stupid and they get hurt celebrating, and they miss kicks ruining my U/O bets and ruin point spreads. This contest gives us a reason to love Kickers again. Joe Bryant blessed the K contest a few years back, but I try to let the dust settle on breaking K news and movement the 1st few weeks of the season. Now that we've hit some equilibrium, it's time for a K contest! :pickle:

Here's how it works:  

• Guess that kicker's total points, and longest FG kicked using decimal scoring.
    Example: 30 yards or less = 3 points, with .1 for every yard thereafter. 45 yard FG = 4.5 points, 37 = 3.7 points, etc.  
  • This week has been a MPAT poop-show, so for this 1st contest MPAT = a whopping -5. Choose that K carefully, because 1 MPAT could kill ya! ☠️ 
  • The entry to the contest with the highest K score, who is closest to BOTH total points, and long distance will be the winner.
    Example: Entry A guesses their K will have 16 points, with a long of 47.  Entry B guesses their K will have 17 points with a long of 45.  Entry A's K has 17 points (1) with a long of 46 (1) for a total differential of 2.  Entry B's K has 17 points (0), with a long of 48 (3) for a total differential of 3. Entry A wins by having the smallest differential between both total points and distance.  
  • What do you win? I'm glad you asked!  My handle is "Hot Sauce Guy" because I make award-winning hot sauce; with  a Grand Prize for Tasting Division at the 30th annual Fiery Food & BBQ Show in ABQ, NM, and a sauce on the hit show Hot Ones. If you are the leading prognosticator, I will send you 2 award-winning sauces of your choice of heat level, at no cost for sauce or shipping, and with no strings attached.
  • Is this some kinda marketing schtick?  My hot sauce was on a show with 8M subscribers and Trevor Noah said it danced on his tongue like Fred Astaire. If I wanted to spend $ on marketing, I'd probably be doing a contest somewhere with more folks than whoever randomly sees this on the K topic of FBG.  :lol:  
  • USA Shipping Only: You can enter if you're in Canada or Germany or Tanzania, you just have to ship to a friend in the US if you win. It is what it is. 
  • Note: DO NOT EDIT your post. Because time-stamp matters, you cannot have an edited post. Edited entries are DQ'd. If you change your mind (late week K injury, game cancellation, etc) simply hide your original post & post a new one. 
  • Don't forget to put the long-distance guess as well. You must guess BOTH the points total, and longest FG from your K. 
  • Note 2: Cut-off time is 5 mins before Kickoff for whichever K you select. You can use K from the TNF game, but you must post your entry by no later than 5 mins before kick-off on Thursday. 
That's it!  Make a guess, win some hot sauce. Doesn't get much easier than that and it's certainly worth the price of admission ($0), so get those guesses in for week 5! 

• Kicker: Harrison Butker (KC)
  • Total Pts: 14pts, longest FG: 48yds
Thanks as always for the opportunity!

Did Rosas win the Jags kicking job this week with his strong game, at least until Lambo returns?  

Hello FBG Kicker haters! 

It is time.

Here's how it works:  

Thanks so much for doing this again HSG! 

I can attest first hand that the sauces are spectacular.

Wanted to go with my guy Carlson, but the negatives for long FGs scares me off. He will kick it from a distance...making it is another thing.

OFFICIAL PICK:

Blankenship: 11.3 points. Longest 47

Unofficial pick just for fun and not for contest:

Carlson: 2.1. Longest 52 (which he misses).

NM

Q - by points, you mean actual game points not FF scoring, right? So 40+ or 50+ FGs are 3 points not 4 or 5?

Hello FBG Kicker haters! 

It is time.

Here's how it works:  

Very nice/fun contest, thanks!

Bullock, 12.8, long of 47

@Hot Sauce Guy

Appreciate the contest, as usual.

Is there any way we can put this in its own thread?

(This way it won't "hurt" the ultra-important KICKER thread  :excited: , at the least we can have our own thread for the contest .....)

TZM
This was asked years ago. Joe asked that we keep it here. It’s Joe’s world, I’m just living in it. 

That “difference between length of long FG” is going to sink a lot of people.  Going to suck when you nail the highest scoring kicker with 17.4 points, only to have that turn into 7.4 because you guessed a long of 48 but he banged a 58 yarder.

ETA: Thats not meant to be a complaint, just an observation!  Thanks for doing this @Hot Sauce Guy!!!

That “difference between length of long FG” is going to sink a lot of people.  Going to suck when you nail the highest scoring kicker with 17.4 points, only to have that turn into 7.4 because you guessed a long of 48 but he banged a 58 yarder.

ETA: Thats not meant to be a complaint, just an observation!  Thanks for doing this @Hot Sauce Guy!!!
where does it say highest scoring kicker? Don't see it

Instinctive said:
Green bay: Mason Crosby

16.5 points, long of 48
I thought this would get more laughs. If kickers are so not useless you'd think picking one on a bye week would get some attention.

Per rules, will be wiping that post and making a new one for our hot sauce overlord. xD

The Man With No Name said:

Hot Sauce Guy said:
  • The entry to the contest with the highest K score, who is closest to BOTH total points, and long distance will be the winner
Yep, contest used to be picking the highest scoring kicker with long FG as the tiebreaker.  Now?  A bit confused. 

@Hot Sauce Guy - Is it just picking a kicker and hoping to be closest in the differential between what you picked his total points to be as well as his longest kick?  Or do you need to actually pick the highest scoring kicker, with ties broken by the lowest differential of points/long kick among those whom picked that kicker? 

gbill2004 said:
Wow this context sure ruined this thread. Can we get back to normal please?  
the contest has been going for years & is approved by Joe Bryant. This is where he asked me to host it. So this is normal. 

When is Josh Lambo expected to return?
Here, I googled it for you. It was easy. 

Jaguars placed K Josh Lambo (hip) on injured reserve.

He'll miss at least the next three games. 

The Man With No Name said:
It’s the highest scoring kicker picked.

the highest scoring kicker may not get picked by anyone. Happens all the time. 

So the highest scoring kicker picked, and closest guesses to that score and the longest FG from that K. That's basically the tiebreaker. 

SayWhat? said:

Actually you’d be amazed at how close the winners are every contest. Usually a fraction of a point separates 1 from 2. 

the -5 for a MPAT is gonna be a killer though. ;)  

Yep, contest used to be picking the highest scoring kicker with long FG as the tiebreaker.  
it still is. There has been no change to the format. Even the MPAT isn’t new, I just made it -5 instead of -1 for this week. 

@Hot Sauce Guy - Is it just picking a kicker and hoping to be closest in the differential between what you picked his total points to be as well as his longest kick?  Or do you need to actually pick the highest scoring kicker, with ties broken by the lowest differential of points/long kick among those whom picked that kicker? 
Highest scoring kicker is how the pool of entrants are narrowed down to the potential winner.

Your guess being closest in both total points of that K, and distance of the long FG decides who wins it. 

same as it’s always been. 👍🏼

I came to this thread to look for a discussion about possible bye week kicker pickups but the thread has been turned into a contest ???? Is that what has happened ?

I came to this thread to look for a discussion about possible bye week kicker pickups but the thread has been turned into a contest ???? Is that what has happened ?
I too would prefer that this thread get back to "kicker/replacement" news now that Bye weeks are happening AND have the kicker contest (which I think is GREAT!) possibly having it's own thread. Could this happen?

I too would prefer that this thread get back to "kicker/replacement" news now that Bye weeks are happening AND have the kicker contest (which I think is GREAT!) possibly having it's own thread. Could this happen?
@Joe Bryant - Do you still prefer to have the kicker contest entries submitted in the PK thread or would it be better to establish a separate thread for the contest that @Hot Sauce Guy runs?

As always; if @Joe Bryant wants me to make a dedicated topic for this, I’m happy to do so.  

I posted it here because this is where I was told to do so.

I would think ~20 people posting their projections for week 5 kickers would be very useful for those looking for a replacement kicker. That’s way more kicker help than you’d get any other week.   :shrug:  

Users who are viewing this thread