What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Waiver Period AFTER NFL Cuts (1 Viewer)

Ronidin24

Footballguy
This is the second year in a row that my kicker has been cut from his team. This year it's Nick Novak. I have drafted 15 teams this season, and three of them will go in to week one with no kicker and no way to remedy this. It's pretty unacceptable to have a tournament of this magnitude and buy-in price with no ability to adjust your team whatsoever after the cut list comes out. Please consider adjusting this for future seasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the second year in a row that my kicker has been cut from his team. This year it's Nick Novak. I have drafted 15 teams this season, and three of them will go in to week one with no kicker and no way to remedy this. It's pretty unacceptable to have a tournament of this magnitude and buy-in price with no ability to adjust your team whatsoever after the cut list comes out. Please consider adjusting this for future seasons.
Prior to this year, we did not have pre-season free agency at all in the Footballguys Players Championship, in the first 5 years of the running of the contest. We added it for 2015 because it made sense and for various logistics reasons we chose Friday September 4th as the date for this free agency. It just so happened that this was 1 day before the NFL cut down date, whichi to be perfectly honest, noone took into consideration until yesterday. When I say noone, I mean not us and not a single other person that we are aware of. Going forward in 2016, we can definitely look at improving the scheduling of the pre-season free agency, which we have already discussed internally and can discuss publicly in the next off-season.

With that said, I am of the opinion that decisions we as owners make in fantasy football carry various type of risk. And it's our responsibility as fantasy owners to accept this risk, based on the rules of the game which we play. We all know that injuries, suspensions and cuts are all part of the NFL so when that happens, I don't think it's the fault of the contest format which may or may not have free agecy to help affected teams replace lost players, instead it's just one of those risks working against us. If we carry one kicker or one quarterback, that's the risk we need to accept. Just like it could happen in the middle of the season when something unexpected happens on Saturday or Sunday morning when there are no other free agency opportunities. Just my personal opinion as a fantasy owner & player, not necessarily a contest operator.

With that said, I am of the opinion that decisions we as owners make in fantasy football carry various type of risk. And it's our responsibility as fantasy owners to accept this risk, based on the rules of the game which we play. We all know that injuries, suspensions and cuts are all part of the NFL so when that happens, I don't think it's the fault of the contest format which may or may not have free agecy to help affected teams replace lost players, instead it's just one of those risks working against us. If we carry one kicker or one quarterback, that's the risk we need to accept. Just like it could happen in the middle of the season when something unexpected happens on Saturday or Sunday morning when there are no other free agency opportunities. Just my personal opinion as a fantasy owner & player, not necessarily a contest operator.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Prior to this year, we did not have pre-season free agency at all in the Footballguys Players Championship, in the first 5 years of the running of the contest. We added it for 2015 because it made sense and for various logistics reasons we chose Friday September 4th as the date for this free agency. It just so happened that this was 1 day before the NFL cut down date, whichi to be perfectly honest, noone took into consideration until yesterday. When I say noone, I mean not us and not a single other person that we are aware of. Going forward in 2016, we can definitely look at improving the scheduling of the pre-season free agency, which we have already discussed internally and can discuss publicly in the next off-season.

Those are certainly fair points Alex. I agree our decisions definitely all have a certain risk attached to them. However, it seems as though it would be most fair to have any drafter (regardless of date he drafted) be able to react to cut day.

I realize this is the first year your tournament has had pre season waivers, and honestly I was quite pleased to see it implemented. I'm just hoping it gets tweaked to make everything equal footing regardless of draft date. The easy answer is wait until after cut day to draft, but sometimes that's not possible.

At any rate, thanks for the reply.

Suggestion: Make it Team Kicker instead of individual person. RTS Sports does this and I believe it's a really good solution to the whole mess. Nobody cares about picking up a "hot kicker" if one gets cut. The only thing it does is cause certain people to be put at a disadvantage. I believe the team kicker route is the best route to go, and just thought I'd suggest it although I'm pretty sure that's probably been discussed in your meetings at some point.

Suggestion: Make it Team Kicker instead of individual person. RTS Sports does this and I believe it's a really good solution to the whole mess. Nobody cares about picking up a "hot kicker" if one gets cut. The only thing it does is cause certain people to be put at a disadvantage. I believe the team kicker route is the best route to go, and just thought I'd suggest it although I'm pretty sure that's probably been discussed in your meetings at some point.
I agree with this for Draftmasters and maybe the Terminator tournament, but if there is a waiver wire, I don't know that it really adds much to have team kicker when you can just go in and drop/add someone every week, which a lot of people do.

I do have a FBG team that lost my one kicker on the cutdown, and that stinks for week one, but it is one week, and I accept that.

In the terminator, however, I have just one kicker left for the whole season, so if anything happens there, a whole season without a kicker in a total points format will completely destroy any chance I have of being in the money, I also have a few draft masters that are affected, but meh, those are practice anyway. i would almost guess there is at least one Terminator team out there with two of either Sturgis, Novak, or Barth. That team is 99% done. I don't care how good the rest of that team is, they are starting at a 100+ point disadvantage.

Nothing beats 2012 when I lost both my kickers (Gould and Nugent) after the waiver deadline going into the Championship tourney in the main event after finishing top 15 during the regular season. If I had gotten just 4ppg, I would have finished in the money there, but thats just the way of Fantasy Football. Team Kicker would have made me some cash, but I'm still not sure I would go for it in a waiver wire type league. Consider I picked up Gould right at the waiver deadline specifically to have a backup kicker just in case (irony). I would not have used a roster spot on that extra kicker, and subsequently gotten 0 points anyway, if there was a team kicker. It happens. There simply can't be a rule imposed for every situation that seems "unfair" in fantasy football.

Not bad. Need to think about it but let's talk more in the off-season.

Also like the team kicker. It supports my philosophy of not spending a whole lot of time thinking about kickers.

Why don't we just change to "team" everything? Team QB,RB,TE,DEF,PK.

Think of how quickly a draft would go! Two rounds. Each player drafts 2 "teams".

Let's see,do I start my Falcons "team" QB this week or my Seahawks "team" QB?

Then the variable of "injuries" would be all but eliminated.

Then the variable of making a stupid drafting decision on an individual player or position would be eliminated.

Let's simplify the game so much a blind monkey COULD draft a winning team.

Users who are viewing this thread