What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Cooper Kupp, LAR (1 Viewer)

I don't really know if that will be the game plan. (Having Norman shadow Watkins frequently)

I think with motions and shifts its hard to play man except for in a few situations. The Rams can get Watson match ups they like still.

I think it's a lot closer than you might think it is.  40 times aren't drastically different.  Cupp was a hell of an athlete in HS in hoops and football.  He's more than a possession receive, IMO.  

I tried to get a buddy to put $$ down on Cupp being ROY, but none of the books he went to would offer the bet. :kicksrock:
Was this buddy an erotic dancer who went halfies on the bet?

Just curious.  :D

Ballsy. Crabtree is a must start ever week for me, regardless of opponent. He's too consistent and too good at contested catches and has a knack for the endzone - all of which makes him one of the best WR2s in FF. 

FWIW, I'm starting both. Kupp is my WR3 this week and I'm hoping for WR2 numbers. 
It is a gut check call for sure. But my opponent looks very beatable this week he lost David Johnson.

It is a gut check call for sure. But my opponent looks very beatable this week he lost David Johnson.
I just saw that the Jets are ranked 24 vs. the run but 15th vs. the pass so far. That's deceptive. The Jets are actually good at stopping the run with a solid DL, and have garbage and inexperience in the secondary. They just played Buffalo week one, who can run the ball better than anyone and have no WRs to speak of. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I just saw that the Jets are ranked 24 vs. the run but 15th vs. the pass so far. That's deceptive. The Jets are actually good at stopping the run with a solid DL, and have garbage and inexperience in the secondary. They just played Buffalo week one, who can run the ball better than anyone and have no WRs to speak of. 
Good observation. Crabtree is very consistent. In my ppr league he put up double digits 13 of 16 games. No reason to really bench him other than I like Kupp and I like to gamble.

Goff went 15/225/1/1 last week. Even after Cooper's 3/33/0 week he's still on pace for 193 pts. in a PPR. Not bad for an old FCS white rookie.

That's T.Hill, A.Robinson, D.Hopkins, K.Benjamin, J.Crowder, W.Sneed, S.Diggs territory last year. And while some of those guys suffered thru bad/terrible QB play, so is he this season.

Now, starting him over Crabtree is a little :loco: but he should be a decent "What the heck flex" play in PPR leagues that start 2WR/2Flex or 3WR/2Flex.

Good observation. Crabtree is very consistent. In my ppr league he put up double digits 13 of 16 games. No reason to really bench him other than I like Kupp and I like to gamble.
I tried to warn you....

Not rubbing it in your face; I've made many a mistake like this. Just saying. 

Never ever bench a guy as reliable as Crabtree, especially when he has a juicy matchup. The 3 TDs he scored against the Jets made him the top WR in my PPR league.

It's tempting to start Coop this week vs. the 49ers, but the Carolina and Seattle games indicate the 49ers are better against the pass than run. No Seattle or Carolina WR scored more than 14 points (PPR) against them in my league. That's against two savvy veteran QBs with two legit #1 WRs in Benjamin and Baldwin. What do you think a green Goff and Coop will do?

Not much. If LAR are smart, they'll pound Gurley for the win.

I'm keeping Coop on the bench again. Hope it doesn't bite me in the butt.

I like Kupp a lot but it’s tough to start him at this stage. I’m rolling with Allen, Cooks, Parker, and flexing JJ. I only have a 16th rounder invested in him but I think he’s going to have some big weeks. I think he’ll be a good book/bust flex all year.

Cooper Kupp caught 2-of-2 targets for 17 yards against the 49ers in Week 3.

He played 37 of the 65 snaps in this game, but this win was all about Todd Gurley and Sammy Watkins. Jared Goff going down the field more than anticipated has cooled the hype on the slot man, but NFL defenses could make an adjustment to help make the rookie as more of a security blanket. Most owners in competitive leagues should just bench him, but he is trending down after his strong Week 1.

I’m holding. I’ve seen Robert Woods play a lot over the years. I know he’s outside and Kupp is more of an inside slot guy but I’m just saying I wouldn’t expect a career 50-600-3 guy to morph into a star. Goff is a much better player this year & I think this offense can support 3-4 viable fantasy options.

I think last nights game plan was reactionary. Gurley only had 16 carries against Washington and Goff was locked onto Kupp in the game ending interception. They ran a lot of two-TE sets last night and barely threw to any WRs the first 20-25 minutes. They’re not going back to the Fisher-era misuse of Gurley but they had an agenda.

Anyway, the tougher part of the schedule lies ahead, don’t blame anybody for bailing. You can’t start or flex him in a normal week. I just feel like Kupp is as good/better of a bye week option as the guys on our WW (T. Benjamin, B. Coleman, Doctson, Funchess, Wheaton.) Churn doesn’t accomplish anything if the guy I’m picking up has less upside.

Glad I didn't start him. Wondering if I can drop him now before Sunday. 

Nope ESPN locks players from Thursday. Guess that makes sense.

Not enough snaps. Droppable?
He went from a 22% target share to 17% team target share, which is still pretty strong. Team is just not passing enough so to me the snaps are not important.

He has 14 targets, Watkins has 14 and Woods has 16. Kupp lead them in targets entering last night but even after a 2 target game he's right in the mix with the two WR's who play most of the snaps. 

He scored a TD in week one and the other two weeks got tackled near the goal line.

I would personally not cut a player who is getting 17% team target share, in the mix with for team lead in WR targets, has scored a TD or got tackled inside the 5 yard line each game on an ascending offense with up and coming QB they likely start taking the reigns off the more we progress into the season.

I think there is some small sample size analysis going on here.

Does anyone really think that the Rams are going to put up 41 points per game?  Goff to lead a downfield aerial attack?  Didn't watch the entire game last night but I thought Goff showed a lot of improvement, but he also had some great line play and wide open receivers.  Won't always be the case.  Further, we saw Kupp get catches in Week 1 on the very downfield throws that Goff completed yesterday to the likes of Watkins and Woods.

As a redraft owner, I'd like to see him develop into a reliable PPR machine, even if the yards and scores aren't always there.  May have to consider dropping in leagues with short benches.  As a keeper owner in another league, I'm completely fine with where he's at so far.  Not a lot of rookies come in and light things up week to week at WR, except for the true transcendent talents.

I tried to warn you....

Not rubbing it in your face; I've made many a mistake like this. Just saying. 

Never ever bench a guy as reliable as Crabtree, especially when he has a juicy matchup. The 3 TDs he scored against the Jets made him the top WR in my PPR league.
He's a best bud and I wanted to keep it interesting. He was talking about quitting the league because his best players always get injured. David Johnson out for him this year. He has the worst luck. Tied me with all my starters benched and backups in LOL!

He went from a 22% target share to 17% team target share, which is still pretty strong. Team is just not passing enough so to me the snaps are not important.

He has 14 targets, Watkins has 14 and Woods has 16. Kupp lead them in targets entering last night but even after a 2 target game he's right in the mix with the two WR's who play most of the snaps. 

He scored a TD in week one and the other two weeks got tackled near the goal line.

I would personally not cut a player who is getting 17% team target share, in the mix with for team lead in WR targets, has scored a TD or got tackled inside the 5 yard line each game on an ascending offense with up and coming QB they likely start taking the reigns off the more we progress into the season.
There is no way he gets more targets than Watkins from here on out imo. The pecking order might be 1) Watkins 2) Gurley 3/4) Woods/Kupp.

It's a run first offense and at the rate it's going I don't see enough volume going forward. Goff hasn't thrown for 30 attempts this season. On the other hand, maybe they start opening it up more as Goff gets more comfortable.

I went ahead and dropped him in my 12 man .5PPR redraft league. Perhaps I regret it later, but it was worth the risk considering my roster.

He's a best bud and I wanted to keep it interesting. He was talking about quitting the league because his best players always get injured. David Johnson out for him this year. He has the worst luck. Tied me with all my starters benched and backups in LOL!
You really benched all your starters? That doesn't seem like the right thing to do.

I like Kupp a lot as a player. He seems to catch pretty much anything that's catchable but in fantasy terms, he has dipped below the mendoza line. I could regret dropping him but I am after bigger upside...

Kupp led the WR targets in weeks one and 2. Your take seems like an absurd one game overreaction to me.
Yeah but he led the WR targets with 6 in each of those 2 games. That's 96 targets a season. That's my point - even when he leads the team in targets, there is not enough volume on this run first team.

Do you not think Watkins is going to be the #1 WR and lead this team in targets?

Predicting the proven veteran they acquired to be their #1 WR leading the team in targets over a rookie slot receiver is an absurd overreaction? I wouldn't even consider it a reach.

Yeah but he led the WR targets with 6 in each of those 2 games. That's 96 targets a season. That's my point - even when he leads the team in targets, there is not enough volume on this run first team.

Do you not think Watkins is going to be the #1 WR and lead this team in targets?

Predicting the proven veteran they acquired to be their #1 WR leading the team in targets over a rookie slot receiver is an absurd overreaction? I wouldn't even consider it a reach.
Your point as I read it earlier  was that there was "no way" Kupp would get more targets then Watkins.

Watkins is of course the #1 WR but people are not discussing cutting him and being the #1 WR does not mean more targets, see NE Patriots 2008-2009 as one example.

In terms of which of those lead the team in targets I think is valid argument. I lean Kupp myself but for someone to say "no way" after one game is as I said earlier, absurd. Very much so.

One of two things will make Kupp more valuable as time goes by.  

Watkins will earn more respect and draw more coverage which will present more opportunity   for Kupp.  

Or Watkins will get his yearly season ending injury which will present more opportunity for Kupp. 

Austin and Watkins both in the concussion protocol.

Despite the limited production, Co oper Kupp once again played in 60% of the snaps (40/67, which was 4 less than Watkins.)

The Rams 12 package this year:

30/65

16/50

29/67

(12 = 1 RB 2 TE 2 WR)

Kupp snap counts:

39/65

30/50

40/67

Austin and Watkins both in the concussion protocol.

Despite the limited production, Co oper Kupp once again played in 60% of the snaps (40/67, which was 4 less than Watkins.)

The Rams 12 package this year:

30/65

16/50

29/67

(12 = 1 RB 2 TE 2 WR)

Kupp snap counts:

39/65

30/50

40/67
Do you have a way to know how many of the snaps he played were in the 12 package, if any?

Do you have a way to know how many of the snaps he played were in the 12 package, if any?
No, and actually I was interpolating how many 12 packages they ran based on total TE snaps less total snaps (e.g., it's a very good approximation but imprecise.) Watkins and Woods both played 90% (45/50) Week 2, when they ran the fewest 2-TE sets. Woods will probably lead the Rams WRs in snaps most weeks because he's the best run blocker; last two weeks it's been 107/117. Watkins was on the field for 59% Week 1 and 66% Week 3.

No, and actually I was interpolating how many 12 packages they ran based on total TE snaps less total snaps (e.g., it's a very good approximation but imprecise.) Watkins and Woods both played 90% (45/50) Week 2, when they ran the fewest 2-TE sets. Woods will probably lead the Rams WRs in snaps most weeks because he's the best run blocker; last two weeks it's been 107/117. Watkins was on the field for 59% Week 1 and 66% Week 3.
Gotcha.  Thanks for the explanation.  I think it's very encouraging for Kupp that he is out there on 2/3 of the offensive snaps even if he isn't in any 2Wr sets.  For this year it would most likely take an injury to Watkins or Woods for him to be usable in your lineup.  But as far as next year, there's no guarantee they resign Watkins even though I'm sure they would like to as of right now.  Things change quickly.  Worst case, he will remain the WR3 there and still be valuable as a bye week/injury fill in for fantasy.   

Tough finish today. Wouldn’t have been an easy catch but should have had it. What a shame after completely juking his way open.

I enjoyed the Rotoworld blurb on Kupp after the game:

Kupp has out-targeted Sammy Watkins 29-20, but hasn't done anything to deserve the honor. The Rams need to work harder on freeing Watkins.
Someone seems angry that Cooper dropped that pass!  Anyways, I would be curious to hear from anyone who watched this game in its entirety their impressions of Cooper.  Pleased to see the 8 targets, Rotoworld anger not withstanding.  It still feels like Kupp is pretty much boom or bust.  Did anyone watching get a different impression of his involvement in the offense?

I enjoyed the Rotoworld blurb on Kupp after the game:

Someone seems angry that Cooper dropped that pass!  Anyways, I would be curious to hear from anyone who watched this game in its entirety their impressions of Cooper.  Pleased to see the 8 targets, Rotoworld anger not withstanding.  It still feels like Kupp is pretty much boom or bust.  Did anyone watching get a different impression of his involvement in the offense?
Goff is still figuring things out but seems Kupp is still his go-to when he's not dumping it off to Gurley.  Seattle played out of their minds on D.  IMO that pass was more on Goff than Kupp.  Catchable for an NFL receiver, yes, but he deserved a better pass after that route. 

I saw the replay of the almost game winning TD yesterday and thought that goff had lead him a little to much but got to see the replay again today. It was actually a pretty good throw and something he definitely probably should have caught. It looked like it did have a little heat on it so maybe that and being a little in front of him he just couldn't quite get it.

I lost Odell in the league that I have Kupp so might have to lean on him more then I was hoping this year. I am pretty happy with him so far though I was hoping he would be more consistent. I think Gurley being this involved in the passing game has capped his production more then Watkins or woods.

Hopefully goff keeps taking steps forward and Kupp keeps being one of his favorites. I think on of the positives of this week was it looked like goff was 100% going to go to Kupp on the potential game winning play

Goff is still figuring things out but seems Kupp is still his go-to when he's not dumping it off to Gurley.  Seattle played out of their minds on D.  IMO that pass was more on Goff than Kupp.  Catchable for an NFL receiver, yes, but he deserved a better pass after that route. 
There was nothing wrong with that pass.  He's playing the best secondary in the league and he hit the guy on the hands.  That's not on Goff in any way.

Anyone trading Kupp in PPR dynasty? I am very high on Kupp, but just got an offer of Crabtree for my Kupp & McGuire in PPR dynasty. I should probably take it, but my love for Kupp is holding me back. Am I insane? :D

Anyone trading Kupp in PPR dynasty? I am very high on Kupp, but just got an offer of Crabtree for my Kupp & McGuire in PPR dynasty. I should probably take it, but my love for Kupp is holding me back. Am I insane? :D
Maybe a little. Crabtree is getting older though, so not certifiable.

Thanks for posting this offer, I didn't think Kupp was this high on peoples wish list yet. Somewhat surprising to me.

The team I have Kupp on is a contender so I easily take that deal even though I also am a huge fan. If your rebuilding tho I don't think it's unreasonable to decline it

Like the answer to most things "it depends".

If you are a contender and Crabtree could slot into your WR3 slot each week and be a significant improvement then take it. If your team is young and Crabtree wouldn't make a significant difference then keep Kupp. If your team is strong and Crabtree doesn't upgrade your starting WRs then keep Kupp since Crabtree is 30 and his value will only go down while Krupp's will theoretically go up and Kupp is decent enough depth anyway. In a vacuum they are probably close in value presently, so it would depend on your dynasty philosophy and what you think Kupp could become.

Pardon me, but is there an "officlal" Cooper Kupp thread? If so, please send a link.

This guy is starting to blow up?
Welll, no Robert Woods so he going to get more looks over the next couple weeks.

Really digging him for the future, but he's gotta hang on to more balls.

Welll, no Robert Woods so he going to get more looks over the next couple weeks.

Really digging him for the future, but he's gotta hang on to more balls.
Interesting about the hands... it is essential to catch the ball. I enjoy WR's with good hands, like Larry Fitzgerald, and what about this Robby Anderson? Good hands!

I like Cooper Kupp to play well from here on out, like a TD every other game and 75-100 yards. Not sure if I like him over Robby as of right now?

Users who are viewing this thread