What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Find a real league/your league sucks (1 Viewer)

Meatwad Reloaded

Footballguy
I'm just openly ranting here, but I cannot figure out why a large contingent of posters feel the need to sling backhanded insults towards other members when they mention who was drafted where and what not.

I know the inference is meant to be that you are not a real fantasy player if you draft with guppies or idiots or whatever you want to call them, but if you dig a little deeper you might ask yourself 'Who is the real idiot here?'

Personally, I play fantasy football to make money. Doing research on boards like these, reading the sports websites everyday, and watching games takes up a fair chunk of time and it is nice to have a few extra hundred dollars a year to show that it was all worth it. So from my perspective, the more 'guppies' or 'losers' or 'morons' playing in the league the better!

Why would you spend good money playing in a league where you know you have no advantage over any of the others and might even be at a disadvantage if you are not quick enough on the draw? Playing in leagues 'for fun' or 'bragging rights' is a whole 'nother topic in and of itself. I wouldn't consider it, but whatever floats your boat.

Hard to argue. If you've lucked yourself into finding a money league with casual FF players(aka guppies) then you have to be loving life.

Only reason I play anymore is to make a few $. With all the twitter feeds and media content its really taken the fun out of the game in my opinion.

Used to be more speculation on injuries and gtd's and ranking, Now even the idiot who drafted Alge Crumpler after he retired can go print out a cheatsheet and put together a decent team.

Comments like that are just silly. They are always based upon a lack of context and an inability to grasp the concept that different leagues have different scoring/roster parameters. IMO those comments reflect the ignorance of the one making the comment more so than anything about the quality of the league they are commenting on.

I think there is some validity to those statements. When you play in local "friend" leagues you don't get the same competition as you would in FPC or FFPC type events. I have seen people argue that their group of friends knows more than others and they are experts but the reality is there isn't the same talent pool in those types of leagues. To me its like comparing your high school football team to a college football team. Its just not the same.

I get that its a hobby so people have varying levels of interest. There is nothing wrong with "friend" leagues. Those can be fun as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a difference between a player slipping and getting a steal vs someone like Hill falling to the 30th pick. That should never happen in any savvy, high stakes league. Yes, my goal is to win the league and money but I also like playing in a competitive league that makes it fun and challenging to win. If you beat a league full of guppies, what did you really accomplish?

I pay a good chunk of cash just to have half a year of constant contact and #### talking w a bunch of friends who have been in this same league for as long as I can remember. Probably 15+yrs now

No matter where we live and what we do, we come together over FF

Couldn't give less of a #### about the money, the buyin just makes it more fun, and the winner usually just buys something frivolously stupid w the cash anyways

Taking FF this seriously is a joke, imo. Sorry

Comments like that are just silly. They are always based upon a lack of context and an inability to grasp the concept that different leagues have different scoring/roster parameters. IMO those comments reflect the ignorance of the one making the comment more so than anything about the quality of the league they are commenting on.
If you were in a real league, you wouldn't say that.

I overall agree that this forum has been getting more and more riddled with "snarky" and rather "abrasive" comments as time goes by---and there really isn't any excuse for that. The forum was built as a place to exchange thoughts/points of views---whether they be similar or opposing--for the fantasy community in general. I think the challenge with this forum is in "knowing the audience" to a certain extent. Many of the members in the Shark Pool are highly competitive fantasy players that play in some pretty high stakes leagues (against other owners that are as fantasy skilled as they are). To a lot of these players--reading how Jeremy Hill slipped to the 30th pick in an amateur league---or how Arian fell to the 10th round in another amateur league-- is not really meaninful information to the fantasy community in general--it's an isolated occurance in a league that one happens to play in--which is probably not really helpful to any other member in this forum. With that being said---that's still no excuse for people being rude or impolite. Really--if somebody finds "said" information to be of no useful value--they should just ignore it and not commment on it. Lastly--I do think that you might be in the minority here if your main purpose of fantasy football is economic gain. Sure--the money is nice--but I'd guess that the vast majority of fantasy players here are more interested in the bragging rights and the love of competition more than they are the money. I'm a recreational basketball player--and I will sometimes wager in games of "horse" or "1 on 1" with some of my buddies who are equally great basketball players. I can tell you firsthand that the money means next to nothing in those games. I can also tell you that I could also go out of my way to try to challenge players that I know are weaker than I for money--but I personally wouldn't feel like I'm gaining anything out of that. I look to make income from my job and my investments--I'm not willing to take the fun out of fantasy sports solely for economic gain.

Because the fact that a guy got Hill on the turn in his local when his ADP is 1.6 doesn't impress anyone, in fact it pisses them off so thus the comments.

In general, I don't get why people actually care what strangers on the internet say to them on a message board/blog/etc. I come here for others' opinions & alternative ways of looking at things because :gasp: I know I'm NOT the authority on fantasy football. Beyond that I don't give a #### what cheap shots someone wants to make at me. I have real friends in real life; real people's opinions I actually do care about.

Hard to argue. If you've lucked yourself into finding a money league with casual FF players(aka guppies) then you have to be loving life.
Yeah I do my best to play in Alzheimer's only leagues. It is always a pain getting them to remember to pay dues at the beginning of the season and constantly needing to find replacement owners. They have more money than the kids on the sand lot. But now I am being muscled out by the Republican congress taking their Social Security.

The truth is that the bigger the pot generally the more serious the players who participate. So if your goal is to make money, then you should be prepared for better competition.

This is why I look for guys like the commentators on Dyanasty Soundtrack, who like to tell you how much they know but as they are doing it, you realize how much they don't. I really miss that show because of the unintentional humor it provided.

I think it's funny wen people do the superiority thing......it's fantasy F'n football!....it's not real, and ur a borderline dungeons and dragons level dork if it's all u do!.....so congrats if ur league is superior.....No one cares!

I think it's funny wen people do the superiority thing......it's fantasy F'n football!....it's not real, and ur a borderline dungeons and dragons level dork if it's all u do!.....so congrats if ur league is superior.....No one cares!
If I was to win $300,000 in the FPC this year I would guess both the government and the wife would care.

cubbie5150 said:
In general, I don't get why people actually care what strangers on the internet say to them on a message board/blog/etc. I come here for others' opinions & alternative ways of looking at things because :gasp: I know I'm NOT the authority on fantasy football. Beyond that I don't give a #### what cheap shots someone wants to make at me. I have real friends in real life; real people's opinions I actually do care about.
While in a perfect world--I think everybody would have your "who cares" point of view about it--the reality is that we do have an obligation to the Footballguys to keep their forums as inviting to every member as possible. It's just as easy to ignore somebody as it is to say something rude or snarky. It's also just as easy to object to somebody in a polite fashion as it is ito object in a snarky fashion. We are all basically guests here in the footballguys house. They are here to run a business--not a charity--and every member here is a potential customer of theirs. In general, out of respect for the footballguys and their business--I think everybody should try to keep things as polite and "inviting" as possible. The general tone that many of the members tend to use in these threads tends to be far from inviting--and frankly that is not fair (nor in the best interest of) the footballguys.

It all comes down to bragging...everyone wants to look smart.....this varies from person to person....the most interesting thing to me is, many will blab endlessly about who they're targetting, draft strategy, why theyre so smart for thinking this way, etc, all across the internet for all to see.....hell I do it sometimes....although, FF doesn't rank anywhere near my main hobby, and I don't do it to make money.

jvdesigns2002 said:
I overall agree that this forum has been getting more and more riddled with "snarky" and rather "abrasive" comments as time goes by---and there really isn't any excuse for that. The forum was built as a place to exchange thoughts/points of views---whether they be similar or opposing--for the fantasy community in general.
It really does get difficult to post/read this board sometimes. People start threads asking for opinions and get bent out of shape and start name calling if your "opinion" isn't what they were looking for.

Personal attacks are way, way up around here. "Be excellent to each other" has no meaning anymore. Everyone's trying to win the internet instead of looking for real discussion.

Only reason I play anymore is to make a few $. With all the twitter feeds and media content its really taken the fun out of the game in my opinion.

Used to be more speculation on injuries and gtd's and ranking, Now even the idiot who drafted Alge Crumpler after he retired can go print out a cheatsheet and put together a decent team.
You missed how I drafted my team last night.

:(

I'm just openly ranting here, but I cannot figure out why a large contingent of posters feel the need to sling backhanded insults towards other members when they mention who was drafted where and what not. I know the inference is meant to be that you are not a real fantasy player if you draft with guppies or idiots or whatever you want to call them, but if you dig a little deeper you might ask yourself 'Who is the real idiot here?' Personally, I play fantasy football to make money. Doing research on boards like these, reading the sports websites everyday, and watching games takes up a fair chunk of time and it is nice to have a few extra hundred dollars a year to show that it was all worth it. So from my perspective, the more 'guppies' or 'losers' or 'morons' playing in the league the better! Why would you spend good money playing in a league where you know you have no advantage over any of the others and might even be at a disadvantage if you are not quick enough on the draw? Playing in leagues 'for fun' or 'bragging rights' is a whole 'nother topic in and of itself. I wouldn't consider it, but whatever floats your boat.
You play fantasy football to make money? Are you a professional then? How much do you make a year? Enough to pay taxes on?

At least you can speak freely here. The Rotoworld forum moderators have communist tendencies in locking threads over there.

Now even the idiot who drafted Alge Crumpler after he retired can go print out a cheatsheet and put together a decent team.
Gave me a flashback.... Years ago in a local league a guy drafted Fred Lane, we had to tell him he was dead.
The good old days when everyone was drafting off of out of date magazines. I used to create "cheat sheets" for everyone in my league and would kindly hand them out to everyone...

I'm just openly ranting here, but I cannot figure out why a large contingent of posters feel the need to sling backhanded insults towards other members when they mention who was drafted where and what not. I know the inference is meant to be that you are not a real fantasy player if you draft with guppies or idiots or whatever you want to call them, but if you dig a little deeper you might ask yourself 'Who is the real idiot here?' Personally, I play fantasy football to make money. Doing research on boards like these, reading the sports websites everyday, and watching games takes up a fair chunk of time and it is nice to have a few extra hundred dollars a year to show that it was all worth it. So from my perspective, the more 'guppies' or 'losers' or 'morons' playing in the league the better! Why would you spend good money playing in a league where you know you have no advantage over any of the others and might even be at a disadvantage if you are not quick enough on the draw? Playing in leagues 'for fun' or 'bragging rights' is a whole 'nother topic in and of itself. I wouldn't consider it, but whatever floats your boat.
You play fantasy football to make money? Are you a professional then? How much do you make a year? Enough to pay taxes on?
This is what stood out to me. If you play FF to make money, you are doing it wrong. I haven't looked into the daily stuff much, but playing annual leagues to make money seems like a really, really questionable investment. I mean, the hours of research just to play well means that making "a few extra hundred dollars a year" is the equivalent to working for minimum wage. Pretty sad.

Personally, I'd rather play in a free league with excellent managers than playing a $1000 league with guppies. You should be playing FF for competition. There are a lot better ways to make money. And if I was playing for money, I'd insist on an all-play format (where you play every team every week and get like a 9-2 record for week 1) or straight points. Playoffs are fun, but they introduce more luck into the picture than other formats. And if you're playing to make money, you'd think you wouldn't want luck involved any more than necessary.

Bottom line, if you've chosen a guppy league just to make money, you deserve to be ribbed by other managers in competitive leagues when you let it slip that Agholor went undrafted or that someone just dropped Lamar Miller to pick up Christine Michael. If that kind of stuff is happening, you shouldn't need to ask advice to win. Play in real leagues or keep those stories to yourself.

I'm in the 11th year of my first league. It's a money league, and it's also a home league. There's a few dead money guys, but the rest of the league knows its stuff, and that's who I enjoy competing against.

I generally try to get in 1 league with people I think know what they're doing as a true test of my 'skill'. We still play for money because gambling, but this league is more about the competitive aspect than winning money, as there's really no way to gain an edge over someone with the same knowledge and information as you.

The rest of the leagues I join are generally me trying to find people I think I have an edge over.

This is what stood out to me. If you play FF to make money, you are doing it wrong. I haven't looked into the daily stuff much, but playing annual leagues to make money seems like a really, really questionable investment. I mean, the hours of research just to play well means that making "a few extra hundred dollars a year" is the equivalent to working for minimum wage. Pretty sad.

Personally, I'd rather play in a free league with excellent managers than playing a $1000 league with guppies. You should be playing FF for competition. There are a lot better ways to make money. And if I was playing for money, I'd insist on an all-play format (where you play every team every week and get like a 9-2 record for week 1) or straight points. Playoffs are fun, but they introduce more luck into the picture than other formats. And if you're playing to make money, you'd think you wouldn't want luck involved any more than necessary.

Bottom line, if you've chosen a guppy league just to make money, you deserve to be ribbed by other managers in competitive leagues when you let it slip that Agholor went undrafted or that someone just dropped Lamar Miller to pick up Christine Michael. If that kind of stuff is happening, you shouldn't need to ask advice to win. Play in real leagues or keep those stories to yourself.
Agreed. Playing in season long leagues "to make money" is just silly. If you're that good then DFS is where the money is at.

As for seasonal leagues, as mentioned it can be a lot of time and effort to do it right so if you beat a bunch of folks who barely manage their teams and just don't care what exactly did you accomplish? Worse yet, how does it feel when they beat you? Don't believe I have heard anyone claim to win every league every year which means they do beat you. When you play in 40 leagues and win a couple of them I don't believe that should make you feel that great either.

When it comes to fantasy football, I just want to play with others that give a damn and who are into it like me. The last few years have been MUCH more enjoyable now that I don't just join any ol' league and I can't recommend it enough.

There should be more emphasis on leagues having owners of the same interest level and experience.

I pay a good chunk of cash just to have half a year of constant contact and #### talking w a bunch of friends who have been in this same league for as long as I can remember. Probably 15+yrs now

Couldn't give less of a #### about the money, the buyin just makes it more fun, and the winner usually just buys something frivolously stupid w the cash anyways

I am in the same boat. I do not even like FF all that much any more. I continue with FF to see my long-time friends at the draft party and talk with them all season on the FF website. Strangely, after the season, I do not talk to some of my friends again until draft day and it all starts up again for a few months. I have been friends with some of the guys since grade school over 30 years ago. Damn. I am getting old.

We do get a couple of new guys in the league once in awhile. Some quit because they think our league is too serious. We are a competitive bunch but nobody is a real ##### about it. There is the normal trash talk that seems normal to us but maybe outsiders do not know how to take it. If everyone is not playing to win, it would be boring.

Meh, it's just a way for people to justify why they reached for a guy like Al Morris. Ooh ooh ooh, Almo fell to the fifth round in your (10-team PPR) league. You must be playing with bubble guppies!!!

Agent575 said:
FF Ninja said:

Agreed. Playing in season long leagues "to make money" is just silly. If you're that good then DFS is where the money is at.

As for seasonal leagues, as mentioned it can be a lot of time and effort to do it right so if you beat a bunch of folks who barely manage their teams and just don't care what exactly did you accomplish? Worse yet, how does it feel when they beat you? Don't believe I have heard anyone claim to win every league every year which means they do beat you. When you play in 40 leagues and win a couple of them I don't believe that should make you feel that great either.

When it comes to fantasy football, I just want to play with others that give a damn and who are into it like me. The last few years have been MUCH more enjoyable now that I don't just join any ol' league and I can't recommend it enough.

There should be more emphasis on leagues having owners of the same interest level and experience.
Yes the ROI that you may make for season long leagues is tough. Even if you play a few leagues and win like 1000 profit, that is nothing considering the time it took to prepare for the drafts and the length of the NFL season.

A lot of people are more casual, that is why you get statements like I drafted this player this late, etc.

THIS.. My main league is a league my cousin invited me into 5 years ago. Never met any of the other 8 guys in my life, but when June/July rolls around the GroupMe app comes alive with the preseason **** talk lol. Are we/they "experts", hell no. But we know enough to make it competitive every year. Do I take Fantasy seriously, Yes, I pay to play so why wouldn't I take it seriously. But at the end of the day I'm not going to pay the bills with it.

Have fun... isn't that what a fantasy is for?

Users who are viewing this thread