What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Tyler Lockett, SEA (2 Viewers)

Shouldn't we be comparing John Brown, TY Hilton, Antonio Brown? All three were picked for an Arians offense.
They are all the same guy. The biggest thing separating these guys is the QB. If Hilton goes to Houston for instance as a FA down the road, he will put up pedestrian numbers and then get James Jones'd.

This kid fell to me at pick 39, feel guilty for that robbery. Not saying he's a sure thing but the talent is real.
What Paul Richardson should have been IMO. Not sure if he'll have a big fantasy impact in Seattle, may have to wait for free agency like Golden Tate for that.

People seem to be avoiding him in my leagues. Got him at 31 and 35. We get points for punt and kick return yardage which makes this even more befuddling.

Some guys, like Calvin Johnson and Randy Moss, seem as if they were forged by the football gods to play WR. With their physical attributes, they were going to face a pretty serious struggle if they were going to find a way to fail.

For guys like Jerry Rice, Isaac Bruce, and Antonio Brown -- which is to say less than perfect physical specimens who nonetheless rise to the very apex of the receiving profession -- there's no getting there without a work ethic and sense of dedication that puts those same attributes for other hyper-committed and serious professional athletes to shame.

Keep that equals sign out of there until legends start emerging from off-season workouts and training camps about how the rest of the best WR's on the planet stand back and watch in awe at how consistently Tyler Lockett puts the rest of them to shame.

Nobody goes to the combine thinking, "We need to find a guy with the physical attributes of Antonio Brown." But they pray they get a guy who works like him. Lockett's a guy who comes with the hard worker tag, but those are a dime a dozen coming out of school. History has shown that being the guy who outworks all the other hard workers at the pro level is a much rarer thing.

That equals sign is a whole lot of blood, sweat, and tears away.

But if your point was that, like Brown, Lockett is a mediocre physical prospect, then yeah, I concur.

Someone in my league was so enamored by him they traded Philip Rivers to move up and take him at 1.14. Time will tell I guess.

When the analytics guys and film guys both agree on someone, I get really excited. Lockett will be a steal in most rookie drafts this year.

Reminds me of Russell Wilson to be honest. He was too small but excellent in every other facet. I just hope I get the chance to pick him.

I wasn't particularly targeting him, but I got him in 3 out of 3 rookie drafts... picks 27, 29, and 33.

Teams will move towards their strengths, and Seattle has an excellent QB... I think their passing will increase each year, so I'm not particularly worried about their rushing bias. Also, the Seattle think tank seems to be open to newer metrics (Sparq rating?), and passing is statistically more efficient than rushing.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2015/06/18/nine-things-we-learned-coach-pete-carroll-seahawks-minicamp

Lockett, the team's third-round pick out of Kansas State who's first in line for punt- and kick-return duties this year, was one of the offseason standouts in Carroll's eyes.

“It’s been really fun to learn Tyler Lockett," said Carroll. "He’s got a lot of responsibilities - he goes after this return job, he’s inside playing in the slot in the receiver position, and he’s been outside. We’ve just thrown everything at him because he seems to be able to handle it."

Tyler Lockett, Frank Clark, Mark Glowinski could contribute for Seattle Seahawks

Excerpt:

Why Tyler Lockett could contribute: Lockett gives the Seahawks a legitimate punt and kickoff returner, something they didn’t have last season. Lockett can make a dramatic difference in the production of the offense because another 5 yards to start each possession will likely lead to additional scoring chances, especially with tight end Jimmy Graham on the field. Lockett can provide that edge, as he did at Kansas State. He has excellent speed, and he isn't apt to make mistakes typically seen from rookies in this role. Lockett was widely viewed as the best returner in the draft, but he also is a skilled slot receiver. He comes from a family of receivers. His father, Kevin, and his uncle Aaron played in the NFL. Tyler is small at 5-foot-10, but he is fundamentally sound and has great hands. He also is a far better route runner than most rookies. He is a high-character man and a hard worker, similar to Seahawks QB Russell Wilson in that regard. It wouldn't be a big surprise to see Lockett as the third receiver in three-wide formations early in the season. He will dramatically improve the special teams this year with his ability to make big plays on returns. It will be a surprise if he doesn’t return a couple for touchdowns this season.

Pete Carroll points to two standouts from offseason workouts

Excerpt:

When the offseason program ended Thursday, Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll pointed to two players who stood out to him through the rookie camp and organized team activities (OTAs).

The first one is rookie wide receiver Tyler Lockett, the team’s third-round draft choice.

“It’s been really fun to learn about Tyler," Carroll said. “He’s got a lot of responsibilities. He’s going after this return job, he’s inside playing in the slot in the receiver position, and he’s been outside.

“We’ve just thrown everything at him because he seems to be able to handle it. He studies really hard. You don’t really know until you get these guys how dedicated they will be, but he’s been an exciting addition to the team.”

Seahawks impressions: Jordan Hill, Tyler Lockett, revolving door at center, and more

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/seahawks-impressions-jordan-hill-tyler-lockett-revolving-door-at-center-and-more/

Excerpt:

2. Rookie receiver Tyler Lockett is still young and learning and has a ways to go. Lockett has looked really impressive for much of his short time with the Seahawks so far. He’s quick and shifty, gets in and out of his cuts really crisply and just looks fundamentally sound, which is not surprising given that his dad and uncle both played in the NFL But Lockett has made noticeably fewer plays in the last three or four practices, and after Tuesday’s practice, Baldwin offered some interesting insight into what Lockett is going through as a rookie: “He’s in the mode right now where he’s thinking a little bit too much, but I think once he gets out there and lets the game take over he’s going to ball out.” The Seahawks are still counting on Lockett in big ways as a return man this season, and he should get some time at receiver as well. But the biggest challenge for young players is consistency, and in that way Lockett is no different.

Big believer in Lockett. Might not be immediate impact like Hilton, but I believe he'll be a quality WR long-term. Early emphasis on return game is a good way for him to help the team immediately and grow into a larger role. Derrick Mason is a little bigger than these guys, but he excelled on returns and developed his game to become an excellent, highly productive receiver. I look at Lockett's ceiling as similar to Mason, but the HIlton/Brown comps are more popular given their recency. He's undervalued, IMO, in dynasty leagues and I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up being one of the top 5 WRs in this class.

The box score suggests he was involved in the passing game a decent bit. Anyone have any insights? Were his catches with the first team?

I wasn't particularly targeting him, but I got him in 3 out of 3 rookie drafts... picks 27, 29, and 33.

Teams will move towards their strengths, and Seattle has an excellent QB... I think their passing will increase each year, so I'm not particularly worried about their rushing bias. Also, the Seattle think tank seems to be open to newer metrics (Sparq rating?), and passing is statistically more efficient than rushing.
Defense and a running game wins championships... Didn't some team in the league take a lot of heat for passing when they should have ran last season?

As for Lockett, I was very impressed by his returns but thought he looked slender. It will be interesting to see if John Brown and he are physical enough to beat the jam.

Rotoworld:

Tyler Lockett - WR - Seahawks

Tyler Lockett caught 2-of-2 targets for 77 yards and a touchdown in Thursday's preseason finale.

Playing with starter Russell Wilson on Seattle's opening series, Lockett simply outran Oakland's secondary en route to a 63-yard touchdown. The (latest) long score brings Lockett's preseason line as a receiver to 6/129/1, while he's added a 103-yard kick return touchdown and 67-yard punt score. The special teams stud has forced his way into a role on offense, and his big-play potential is very much worth one of your final roster spots in re-draft leagues.

Sep 4 - 12:23 AM

I'm buying in. I think he'll have a big role in this offense. Could he be the #2 WR? I can see it. Percy Harvin w/o the baggage.

mikel0254 said:
I'm buying in. I think he'll have a big role in this offense. Could he be the #2 WR? I can see it. Percy Harvin w/o the baggage.
This is my concern. Even if he plays himself into a "big role," what's that amount to from a fantasy perspective? I just don't see the volume as being enough to warrant the optimism, unless Seattle's offense experiences a Pittsburg-esque shift from run based to high flying passing attack.

Last edited by a moderator:
mikel0254 said:
This is my concern. Even if he plays himself into a "big role," what's that amount to from a fantasy perspective? I just don't see the volume as being enough to warrant the optimism, unless Seattle's offense experiences a Pittsburg-esque shift from run based to high flying passing attack.
It's not going to cost you much to get him so there shouldn't be too much concern either way. He went undrafted in my league (only 10 teams). At most it costs a late pick.

With Lynch and Graham, he will almost always see single coverage. And he can burn most DB's in this league. They should throw it more this year as they have better weapons. A player like that will play his way into a lot of playing time. He could be a great bye-week fill-in play with upside potential up the wazoo.

Point is, my prediction is this is the cheapest you will find him all year.

mikel0254 said:
It's not going to cost you much to get him so there shouldn't be too much concern either way. He went undrafted in my league (only 10 teams). At most it costs a late pick.

With Lynch and Graham, he will almost always see single coverage. And he can burn most DB's in this league. They should throw it more this year as they have better weapons. A player like that will play his way into a lot of playing time. He could be a great bye-week fill-in play with upside potential up the wazoo.

Based on the posts above, it doesn't look like those whom have bought are now willing to sell for less than a rookie 1st. That's a significant cost.

My problem isn't Lockett's talent, it's their offense...an offense that doesn't pass a ton as it were and one which added Jimmy Graham as the primary weapon. Unless they have a dramatic shift in offensive philosophy, I can't imagine Lockett getting more than 7 targets per game even if he were to become a full time starter. Tough to have "upside up the wazoo" on something like 100-120 targets per year. What am I missing, or what should we expect to change regarding Seattle's offense that allows for some fantasy relevance at WR?

So much nuance at the WR position...route running, body control, concentration are all probably more important than pure speed and explosiveness (see Antonio Brown).

Also, situation. All 3 have solid QBs, but I'd put Wilson at the bottom as QB friendly. Also, Hilton and Brown took a few years to come around.

I like Lockett in Seattle. Think he'll play well in that short passing game, but does he get enough targets downfield to make him a fantasy threat? Guessing negative (this year at least).

mikel0254 said:
Exactly. Lockett is more a 2016 play. Still I'd be excited if i owned him dynasty. Good chance the Seahawks turn this offense over to Wilson when Lynch's run is done.

mikel0254 said:

Based on the posts above, it doesn't look like those whom have bought are now willing to sell for less than a rookie 1st. That's a significant cost.

My problem isn't Lockett's talent, it's their offense...an offense that doesn't pass a ton as it were and one which added Jimmy Graham as the primary weapon. Unless they have a dramatic shift in offensive philosophy, I can't imagine Lockett getting more than 7 targets per game even if he were to become a full time starter. Tough to have "upside up the wazoo" on something like 100-120 targets per year. What am I missing, or what should we expect to change regarding Seattle's offense that allows for some fantasy relevance at WR?
Depends on your league, but he was available in both of mine (10 and 12 team leagues). That's what I meant by cheap.

Who is he fighting for receptions? Doug Baldwin, Jermaine Kearse, and Chris Matthews. If you believe in his talent (which I do), that's not a tough group to beat out for playing time.

Wilson will throw for what, 3,500 yards this year and 25 TD's? Say a thousand goes to Graham and TE's (which I think is he very high end range) and 400 to the RB's. That leaves roughly 2K+ for the WR's. I think he'll get playing time, so 800 and 7 TD's is my prediction, with the potential for upside. Not bad for someone you can get on the WW.

Pete Carroll has never been afraid to start who he thinks is best for the team. See Wilson vs Matt Flynn (after giving him a big contract to be the starter). Talent wins out in a Pete Carroll regime, and I think Lockett wins a starting job, very early in the season.

mikel0254 said:

Depends on your league, but he was available in both of mine (10 and 12 team leagues). That's what I meant by cheap.

Who is he fighting for receptions? Doug Baldwin, Jermaine Kearse, and Chris Matthews. If you believe in his talent (which I do), that's not a tough group to beat out for playing time.

Wilson will throw for what, 3,500 yards this year and 25 TD's? Say a thousand goes to Graham and TE's (which I think is he very high end range) and 400 to the RB's. That leaves roughly 2K+ for the WR's. I think he'll get playing time, so 800 and 7 TD's is my prediction, with the potential for upside. Not bad for someone you can get on the WW.

Pete Carroll has never been afraid to start who he thinks is best for the team. See Wilson vs Matt Flynn (after giving him a big contract to be the starter). Talent wins out in a Pete Carroll regime, and I think Lockett wins a starting job, very early in the season.
I def could see him winning the starting job sometime this year but Wilson spreads it around and the way the offense is built right now being the #1 WR on the Seahawks doesn't mean even WR2 production.

So much nuance at the WR position...route running, body control, concentration are all probably more important than pure speed and explosiveness (see Antonio Brown).

Also, situation. All 3 have solid QBs, but I'd put Wilson at the bottom as QB friendly. Also, Hilton and Brown took a few years to come around.

I like Lockett in Seattle. Think he'll play well in that short passing game, but does he get enough targets downfield to make him a fantasy threat? Guessing negative (this year at least).
Sounds like the experts think he's a good route runner, and his cons are pretty much just size

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/tyler-lockett?id=2552430

mikel0254 said:

I def could see him winning the starting job sometime this year but Wilson spreads it around and the way the offense is built right now being the #1 WR on the Seahawks doesn't mean even WR2 production.
I said he'd be a bye-week fill in. I wouldn't count on WR2 production either, at least initially. But the upside is there for him to break into your FF starting lineup at some point.

ETA - Graham is consensus #2 TE this year. People are assuming he will be his go-to guy. But if you think Wilson can lock onto him, why couldn't he lock onto a WR? He locked onto Nick Toon at Wisconsin, so it's not out of his realm.

mikel0254 said:

I said he'd be a bye-week fill in. I wouldn't count on WR2 production either, at least initially. But the upside is there for him to break into your FF starting lineup at some point.
Yeah I don't see a scenario, barring a Graham or Lynch injury, where you could start Lockett this year. Is he going to have a big game or two if he gets into the starting lineup? Sure. Which one or two through?

mikel0254 said:

Yeah I don't see a scenario, barring a Graham or Lynch injury, where you could start Lockett this year. Is he going to have a big game or two if he gets into the starting lineup? Sure. Which one or two through?
Sure, it's the DeSean Jackson syndrome. Never know when that big game is coming. But DJax is a fine bye-week filler.

Damn you guys. I fall for this every year. Will try to find room for him
:lmao:

Just picked him up everywhere. Loved him entering drafts, but didn't see an immediate need to act on him. Last night forced my hand... plus this thread.

he's really interesting to me...might be a year early but there are a lot of factors working in his favor that makes him very intriguing. The "problem" with his skillset is that he likely will be a big play guy as opposed to a target monster early on so it certainly wouldn't surprise me if he goes for 5-125-2 early in the season and becomes a hot WW pickup. I just think it might be difficult for him to be a reliable target in the near term.

I think he'll likely be a much more valuable NFL player due to his special teams role than a fantasy factor but I think he'll eventually come around to being a fantasy factor...the question is when?

I know Ive been around long enough to know not to do this, but I dont care

Are any of these guys droppable for Lockett

J Landry, S Smith Sr., A Robinson, M Wheaton, C Michael (i have Lynch) and E Ebron (Have Eifert as my starter)

J Landry, S Smith Sr., A Robinson, M Wheaton, C Michael (i have Lynch) and E Ebron (Have Eifert as my starter)
I'd rather have Lockett than Ebron as a lottery ticket.

In redraft? Maybe Wheaton, Michael, or Ebron. Not the others.

In dynasty, its a different question... but I own him in our dyno league ;) Trade offers welcome, but I'm not letting him go easy.

ETA: Wait, I'm not sure you're in the Pack dyno league. Thought you were though.

Users who are viewing this thread