What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Tyler Lockett, SEA (5 Viewers)

Tyler Lockett is listed behind Jermaine Kearse on the Seahawks' depth chart.
The Seattle Times still considers Lockett a de facto starter because of his role in three-receiver sets. This doesn't really change anything. Lockett is already one of the league's most explosive playmakers, but is a boom/bust WR3/4 until we get more clarity on his 2016 role.

Related: Jermaine Kearse

Source: Bob Condotta on Twitter

Has there been any talk out of Seattle about how Locketts expanded role will affect his return duties? He was a top 20 non QB in my return yards league, but that was based on KR and PR duties. I could see them going with just PR since that's less risky injury wise. 
Solid question. For those in leagues that reward individual KR/PR yards, Lockett can be a solid WR 2.

Not sure if Carroll & Co. have said anything definitive about whether they will employ Lockett the same way they did last year, but a lot of the guys the Seahawks were trying out in preseason games --  Montario Hunter, DeShon Foxx, Trovon Reed, Montario  Troymaine Pope -- didn't seem to make the 53 man roster.

Looking at their recent acquisitions, most are on the defensive line -- except for some additional practice squad WRs like Kenny Lawler and Marcus Lucas, doesn't seem to be much competition, experience, or talent in the KR/PR game in Seattle. And Lockett is still listed as both PR/KR on their depth charts.

So not much depth to throw in there at the position, and though it carries considerably more risk, Lockett proved he could handle that load well last year. I think he's the main guy, and another reason I think he busts out further this year.

He had 8 targets, it's not like he wasn't out there or not part of the overall scheme.  He'll be fine, especially when the running game gets a little more settled and they can play action teams to death. 

Hope you are right.  I was hoping he would be an every week starter.  Not sure he is right now.  And I get rtn yards.  

Agree it's definitely not time to panic or overreact, but tell you what: Baldwin and Kearse are not going anywhere this season. They looked super solid and very much involved in the game plan. Going from very confident in Lockett's ascendancy this year to cautiously optimistic.

Agree it's definitely not time to panic or overreact, but tell you what: Baldwin and Kearse are not going anywhere this season. They looked super solid and very much involved in the game plan. Going from very confident in Lockett's ascendancy this year to cautiously optimistic.
This may not be his year. It's not time to panic but he may just be a WR3 this year......he was the second most targeted receiver on the team......just had a few drops and didn't get a deep catch over the top........

As usual Seattle's o-line is terrible.  No idea why they refuse to improve it.  
Its a financial choice. All NFL teams have to make it. Where do you invest your cap space? Seattle has made a purposeful choice to not invest in the O-line so that they can invest in other areas. Over the past few years that choice has worked out fairly well IMO. 

Last season Seattle had 12 drops. Yesterday they had 3 in one game. Two of those were from Lockett on plays that would have been first downs. That was disappointing, but I think an outlier from my perspective with regard to his abilities. I still believe he has a good chance to out perform Baldwin this season in fantasy points. 

Something concerning from this weekend's game:

I've mainly been a Lockett believer in return leagues. Not that he can't perform in standard, but I just think the odds are longer given the style of offense. He was a great asset in return leagues during the last half of last season.

But this new 25 yard line touchback rule is concerning. The great majority of Lockett's return yardage last year was on kickoffs. And all three kickoffs from the Dolphins were touchbacks. Is it possible that teams will continue kicking into the endzone to avoid Lockett returns, but that this year Seattle is more likely to have him down it rather than bring it out, since they get the extra 5 yards each time?

If so, I think his value takes a pretty solid hit. And especially in the short run if Russell's ankle is seriously hobbling. 

Last season Seattle had 12 drops. Yesterday they had 3 in one game. Two of those were from Lockett on plays that would have been first downs. That was disappointing, but I think an outlier from my perspective with regard to his abilities. I still believe he has a good chance to out perform Baldwin this season in fantasy points. 
i just dont see him outperforming baldwin. I own lockett too but im a realist

Last edited by a moderator:
Something concerning from this weekend's game:

I've mainly been a Lockett believer in return leagues. Not that he can't perform in standard, but I just think the odds are longer given the style of offense. He was a great asset in return leagues during the last half of last season.

But this new 25 yard line touchback rule is concerning. The great majority of Lockett's return yardage last year was on kickoffs. And all three kickoffs from the Dolphins were touchbacks. Is it possible that teams will continue kicking into the endzone to avoid Lockett returns, but that this year Seattle is more likely to have him down it rather than bring it out, since they get the extra 5 yards each time?

If so, I think his value takes a pretty solid hit. And especially in the short run if Russell's ankle is seriously hobbling. 
Update - reviewed the GamePass tape:

Of the three touchbacks, two were out of the back of the endzone and the third was deep in the back of the EZ. So maybe nothing to see here.

I disagree. Why risk starting at the 15 when you can have so much more room 
And some of the kicks are going all the way to the back or basically out of the endzone.

Defintely takes a hit in return yardage leagues with the new KO rule.  The question is how much and if he can make up for it as a WR.

Anybody starting him tomorrow?  I think sea offense wakes up and scores big.

6 rec 110 yards 1 td
I've got him on the bench right now and C-Mike in but I don't know what I'm going to tomorrow. He looks like the odd man out right now though......

I have some concern about how they used Lockett in the most recent game.

D Baldwin WR 58 87% 6 targets 3 receptions 20 yards
J Kearse WR 55 82% 6 targets 2 receptions 11 yards
J Graham TE 55 82% 4 targets 3 receptions 42 yards
P Richardson WR 45 67% 6 targets 3 receptions 35 yards
T Lockett WR 27 40% 4 targets 4 receptions 99 yards

I talked about this back in June that Locketts playing time and targets greatly increased after Graham was out with injury. 

Now Graham has returned and getting a lot of snaps. Also Paul Richardson is healthy and he had almost twice as many snaps as Lockett did as well.

Then you looks at the targets, 3 players all had more targets than Lockett in the game against the Rams. Graham and Michael each had as many targets as Lockett had in this game.

None were more effective than Lockett, which begs the question WHY are the Seahawks using these players more than their best target? Was Lockett injured at some point during the game?

I don't have a good answer for that, but that is exactly what happened,

Richardson and Graham only had 17 snaps each in week 1 against the Dolphin (21%) while Wilson had  64 (78%) so they were apparently easing these guys back into the offense. No more of that in week 2 however as Graham played a lot more and the unexpected emergence of RIchardson having a lot of playing time.

So what does that mean for Lockett if this continues?

Lockett only averaged 3 targets per game over the first 11 games of the 2015 season with Graham healthy. He isn't a rookie anymore, so maybe that means more action for Lockett even on fewer snaps, but the reduced playing time has me concerned he wont be as involved as I was expecting before the start of the season.

I talked about this back in June that Locketts playing time and targets greatly increased after Graham was out with injury. 

Now Graham has returned and getting a lot of snaps. Also Paul Richardson is healthy and he had almost twice as many snaps as Lockett did as well.

Then you looks at the targets, 3 players all had more targets than Lockett in the game against the Rams. Graham and Michael each had as many targets as Lockett had in this game.

None were more effective than Lockett, which begs the question WHY are the Seahawks using these players more than their best target? Was Lockett injured at some point during the game?

Richardson and Graham only had 17 snaps each in week 1 against the Dolphin (21%) while Wilson had  64 (78%) so they were apparently easing these guys back into the offense. No more of that in week 2 however as Graham played a lot more and the unexpected emergence of RIchardson having a lot of playing time.

Lockett only averaged 3 targets per game over the first 11 games of the 2015 season with Graham healthy. He isn't a rookie anymore, so maybe that means more action for Lockett even on fewer snaps, but the reduced playing time has me concerned he wont be as involved as I was expecting before the start of the season.
The seahawks have been so bad on offense the first 2 games who knows what the counts will look like if they can have some positive drives.  I know the first game lockett had like 8 targets and dropped a few passes.  I think he will be first or second with targets most weeks

So did they reduce Locketts playing time because of some drops?

Seems like an over-reaction on their part if that is the case. 

It is my opinion that Lockett is their best WR. So not using him more defies reason. Yet that is exactly what happened.

He still outperformed the other players despite this, but hard to count on that if they don't let him play much.

It is my opinion that Lockett is their best WR. So not using him more defies reason. Yet that is exactly what happened.

He still outperformed the other players despite this, but hard to count on that if they don't let him play much.
He was hurt a big chunk of the second game.  Hurt his knee and came back.  Still led in rec and rec yards.

Lockett missed much of last game with a knee issue. He came back in late and hauled in a 50 yarder. His snap count from last game isn't a great indicator, but the rest applies. 

Seattle plays whoever plays the best. Lockett is their best WR. He'll show it and win a role. 

He missed more than a quater of the game due to an injury in game 2. From Rotoworld:

Tyler Lockett caught 4-of-4 targets for 99 yards in the Seahawks' Week 2 loss to the Rams.
He roasted CB Coty Sensabaugh for an early 35-yard gain, helping set up Seattle's lone three points. Lockett left late in the second quarter with a knee injury, but returned in the fourth quarter and caught a 53-yard bomb on the Seahawks' final drive. The Seahawks later lost a fumble to help lose the game. Lockett is the Seahawks' No. 3 receiver but needs to be owned in all formats. Things should lighten up next week when Seattle hosts the lowly 49ers.

Sep 18 - 8:02 PM

I own lockett in two redrafts but baldwin is going to have better ff stats baring injury
Before the season started I felt like Lockett could push Baldwin out of the way and be Seattle's #1 WR. After two weeks I still think it's possible. No need arguing about it. We'll just see how the season plays out.

Before the season started I felt like Lockett could push Baldwin out of the way and be Seattle's #1 WR. After two weeks I still think it's possible. No need arguing about it. We'll just see how the season plays out.
This may happen but its a year or two away. Baldwin is better at running routes. Has better hands.has more trust from russ.  Raw talent i give the edge to lockett.

This may happen but its a year or two away. Baldwin is better at running routes. Has better hands.has more trust from russ.  Raw talent i give the edge to lockett.
That's a logical outcome as well. I just think it's going to happen this year. As the season goes on I see a scenario where it's more and more Lockett and less and less Baldwin.

i think i am done with him.  I came in here and made a big prediction.  dude didnt even get a target. f u lockett.  f u for life

Glad he was on my bench for this goosegg.  Not sure I can stomach this light switch any more.  Not even a light switch really...more like the power is off and nobody is home.

I really like Lockett.  Love his athleticism and explosiveness.  However, it's going to be tough to roster him if he's completely all or nothing.  As it stands, he looks to be at best the 4th option on a team that doesn't really throw it that much.  Chances are he will be on most of our benches on those weeks when he does have good games.  I anticipated some level of inconsistency but this is a little extreme.  Hopefully, the injuries will subside and he can reestablish a better floor  

The Jimmy Graham effect on Lockett's production seems very powerful, dating back to last season. Pains me to do it, but Lockett might have to see the wire this week.

Can't bring myself to cut him. I really think he's a special talent. I'm hoping to find out this week that his knee was bothering him and they didn't push him because of it. There just has to be a reason why he didn't get any targets yesterday. I'm not buying it's all because Graham had a good game. There's enough to go around in a good offense and Lockett's too talented to just phase out of the game plan completely. I'll hang onto him for now but he'll hit the bench next week. If this becomes permanent I'll reluctantly drop him. Fortunately I have a first-place team so I can afford to be patient with him. But damn that really did suck yesterday. Wilson was playing great and Lockett couldn't get any of it. :(  

I thought Lockett was a great pick when I got him at 5.09 in a 14 team return yardage league.  Another owner was even like, "great pick, I was seriously torn between him and (whoever he took earlier in the 5th)".

But this has not gone well.  Not cutting him now but in a short bench league he is now the player I'd let go once I have another option.

I still believe in him as a player but doesnt look like its the year for him in redraft.

Users who are viewing this thread