Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Redmen62

Tyrell Williams, Chargers WR (Deep dynasty watch)

Recommended Posts

56 minutes ago, ShamrockPride said:

Gonna be a nice dyno stash when he signs as a starter somewhere else next season.

Hopefully he goes to a decent offense.  I feel like you always have to be patient with these guys as it takes a bit to pick up the offense and get in sync with the QB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ShamrockPride said:

Gonna be a nice dyno stash when he signs as a starter somewhere else next season.

Yes. He needs to get away from Rivers and the Chargers. They have ruined him pretty much. He'll blow up wherever he goes. 

Edited by Milkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Milkman said:

Yes. He needs to get away from Rivers and the Chargers. They have ruined him pretty much. He'll blow wherever he goes. 

I just think Rivers hates him lol. And Rivers is the type of QB that once he finds a guy he loves (Allen) he really latches onto them, more than most QBs. Ty dropped a few passes of his (some of them TDs) in their first few games together, and that was enough for Rivers to say "alright, this isn't my guy."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ShamrockPride said:

I just think Rivers hates him lol. And Rivers is the type of QB that once he finds a guy he loves (Allen) he really latches onto them, more than most QBs. Ty dropped a few passes of his (some of them TDs) in their first few games together, and that was enough for Rivers to say "alright, this isn't my guy."

Rivers has Hated Williams for years...…..He makes a lot of decisions before the snap. I've seen some many plays where Tyrell was running wide open and Rivers forced it into triple coverage to Allen instead of throwing it to Tyrell Williams. He will do great somewhere else...….The Chargers organization has miss used a ton of talent...…..they are a joke. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a Mike Williams and Keenan Allen owner, I can say I pretty much hate this guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Milkman said:

Yes. He needs to get away from Rivers and the Chargers. They have ruined him pretty much. He'll blow up wherever he goes. 

LMAO. The Chargers are the franchise that gave him - a UDFA - a shot. Rivers is the QB that put him on the map. Despite the fact that he doesn't run good routes, makes bad reads/decisions, and doesn't play up to his physical talent.

6 hours ago, Milkman said:
6 hours ago, ShamrockPride said:

I just think Rivers hates him lol. And Rivers is the type of QB that once he finds a guy he loves (Allen) he really latches onto them, more than most QBs. Ty dropped a few passes of his (some of them TDs) in their first few games together, and that was enough for Rivers to say "alright, this isn't my guy."

Rivers has Hated Williams for years...…..He makes a lot of decisions before the snap. I've seen some many plays where Tyrell was running wide open and Rivers forced it into triple coverage to Allen instead of throwing it to Tyrell Williams. He will do great somewhere else...….The Chargers organization has miss used a ton of talent...…..they are a joke.

LMFAO. "Many plays where Rivers forced it into triple coverage instead of throwing to Tyrell, who was wide open." Post some examples. Even if you don't have links, I have NFL Game Pass and can go in and find whatever plays you reference. Seriously, name one play. I'll wait.

What's that? You can't name one play? That's what I figured. You have been posting nonsense in the Shark Pool for years about Rivers not throwing to open players. Your previous favorite was Ladarius Green, who, that's right, doesn't play in the NFL any more.

:rolleyes: 

7 hours ago, ShamrockPride said:

Gonna be a nice dyno stash when he signs as a starter somewhere else next season.

Good luck with that. He better sign with a team with an elite passing offense and a hole at WR2 if you think he is going to improve his fantasy prospects. Can you name any such teams?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Milkman said:

Rivers has Hated Williams for years...…..He makes a lot of decisions before the snap. I've seen some many plays where Tyrell was running wide open and Rivers forced it into triple coverage to Allen instead of throwing it to Tyrell Williams. He will do great somewhere else...….The Chargers organization has miss used a ton of talent...…..they are a joke. 

No, you really haven't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hurt your feelings guys. You're right I have been talking about this for years. I posted an example with Green and Williams before. Green has an even better case. He's not in the NFL anymore because of health reasons but he walked right into Pittsburgh and instantly he was better because Big Ben throws to open players. 

 

Rivers is a solid but limited QB. Super accurate but a lot of times he knows who he's throwing to pre-snap. 

 

When Williams gets out of there I think he'll do better. Of course he could go to a worse situation......or I could be wrong. Time will tell. 

Edited by Milkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Milkman said:

Sorry to hurt your feelings guys. You're right I have been talking about this for years. I posted an example with Green and Williams before. Green has an even better case. He's not in the NFL anymore because of health reasons but he walked right into Pittsburgh and instantly he was better because Big Ben throws to open players. 

 

Rivers is a solid but limited QB. Super accurate but a lot of times he knows who he's throwing to pre-snap. 

 

When Williams gets out of there I think he'll do better. Of course he could go to a worse situation......or I could be wrong. Time will tell. 

Green was not better in PIT. 

Yes, sometimes Rivers knows where he wants to throw pre-snap, because he knows the routes and his read progression and reads the defense, which tells him where he should go. Every great veteran QB does this.

But your take on this is that Rivers frequently makes bad reads or fails to see and target open players. It further implies that he and the coaching staff fail to see this on film and make adjustments, despite the fact that you - @Milkman at FBG - can supposedly see this.

That stance is absurd and undermines your credibility. 

If Williams moves on this offseason, his best case is to sign as a WR2. Depending on where, that could be better or worse for him - possible difference in his target pecking order, change in offense, change in QB play. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Just Win Baby said:

Good luck with that. He better sign with a team with an elite passing offense and a hole at WR2 if you think he is going to improve his fantasy prospects. Can you name any such teams?

I agree with pretty much all you've said in this thread, however I do think he's got a decent shot to improve his fantasy prospects in free agency. Even though he's a starter right now, he's on a 16 game pace for 61 targets. That's unstartable in most formats. While you are correct that it doesn't seem like there are a lot of spots right now with a vacancy at WR2, there could be some teams looking for an outside receiver for 2019. Just as a thought exercise I'll glance at the standings and mention the teams which might be interested:

  • New England - it's super annoying how people are always hoping for New England any time someone is a free agent and with Brady's questionable deep ball, I don't think this would be a great landing spot for him, but Hogan and Gordon will be free agents so they will be looking for an outside WR. Of note, Edelman will have 1 year left, but will be 33.
  • Miami - they will have likely moved on from Parker by next season. Not sure if they'll bring back a 34 year old Amendola. 
  • Jets - they already have a bunch of WR2s on their team, but I don't know how long they'll all be around. I think Enunwa, Pryor, and Kearse are all FAs after this season.
  • Buffalo - has the weakest WR corps in the NFL.
  • Baltimore - I think John Brown is on a 1-year deal; Tyrell could fill that role well.
  • Cleveland - will they be content with Higgins and Callaway on the outside?
  • Indy - this might be the most appealing WR2 job of them all so far, but depends on how they value Cain. 
  • Oakland - will they trade Cooper and/or bring back a 34 year old Jordy?
  • Washington - Doctson and Richardson... I don't know that either of them are better than Tyrell.
  • Dallas - kind of like the Jets, they have a lot of WR2 types. Would not be an exciting landing spot, but maybe he could do better than 61 targets there.
  • Philly - could use an outside receiver opposite of Alshon, but not an appealing landing spot.
  • NYG - with Shepard largely in the slot, they are starting Latimer outisde. Like Philly - the job is open, but not appealing.
  • Green Bay - looks like Allison might be the guy, but you never know.
  • SF - probably sticking with Goodwin and Pettis, but those guys are crazy with their money.
  • Arizona - they have 3 slot WRs and 0 outside receivers right now. 

I think at least 10 of those landing spots are realistic and represent a similar or greater target load. He will be an appealing free agent. 27 years old, 6'3", 4.48 speed, former 1000 yard receiver. 

That being said, he'll be competing with rookies and other free agents. I don't like his odds of being a fantasy WR3 in 2019, but it is certainly possible if he gets a good break on his free agency landing spot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Just Win Baby said:

Green was not better in PIT. 

Yes, sometimes Rivers knows where he wants to throw pre-snap, because he knows the routes and his read progression and reads the defense, which tells him where he should go. Every great veteran QB does this.

But your take on this is that Rivers frequently makes bad reads or fails to see and target open players. It further implies that he and the coaching staff fail to see this on film and make adjustments, despite the fact that you - @Milkman at FBG - can supposedly see this.

That stance is absurd and undermines your credibility. 

If Williams moves on this offseason, his best case is to sign as a WR2. Depending on where, that could be better or worse for him - possible difference in his target pecking order, change in offense, change in QB play. 

Green was on pace for a top 5ish TE finish in Pittsburgh if you prorate his numbers. This was inspite of him missing training camp. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Milkman said:

Green was on pace for a top 5ish TE finish in Pittsburgh if you prorate his numbers. This was inspite of him missing training camp. 

He had 18 receptions for 304 yards and 1 TD in 6 games - that prorates to 48 receptions for 810 yards and 2.6 TDs. Maybe that would have been top 5 that year but it's not all that great - and I'm not sure we can assume he would have maintained his 17 yards per catch average over a full season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Milkman said:

Green was on pace for a top 5ish TE finish in Pittsburgh if you prorate his numbers. This was inspite of him missing training camp. 

He had 2 good games in PIT. :shrug: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Just Win Baby said:

He had 2 good games in PIT. :shrug: 

Prorate his numbers over a season. What do they come out too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Milkman said:

Prorate his numbers over a season. What do they come out too?

I don’t believe prorating 6 games to 16 is valid, particularly when the majority of his production in those 6 games occurred in just 2 games.

@Dr. Octopus posted the prorated stats, and they would have put him around TE14 if he sustained it all season. 

Edited by Just Win Baby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Milkman said:

Meh they aren't targeting him enough. He'll be better somewhere else next year......

"Awful player. Just a game where he found a few holes in the defense and managed to hang onto the ball."

-somebody in here ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ShamrockPride said:

"Awful player. Just a game where he found a few holes in the defense and managed to hang onto the ball."

-somebody in here ;)

Disagree…...we'll find out who's right next year since he's terrible there's no way the Chargers will resign him. Would love to see him in Pittsburgh......They've shown the Chargers how to use their discarded players before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's in the old Malcom Floyd role...  Deep threat who goes boom and bust based on whether he can get behind the defense.  

It does seem like Tyrell has the talent to do more, but the Chargers offense is pretty stacked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was a game where the rushing game was ineffective/getting bottled up, and without Gordon.

Is Williams a decent flex play in games where the Chargers are facing stout Run Ds or where game script tilts to pass?

Or are there simply too many offensive options for him to be reliable?

My sense is the latter given the boom/bust nature of his performance, but he'd be intriguing if the Chargers' usage of him was more predictable based on game plan/script.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

This was a game where the rushing game was ineffective/getting bottled up, and without Gordon.

Is Williams a decent flex play in games where the Chargers are facing stout Run Ds or where game script tilts to pass?

Or are there simply too many offensive options for him to be reliable?

My sense is the latter given the boom/bust nature of his performance, but he'd be intriguing if the Chargers' usage of him was more predictable based on game plan/script.

2 games in a row with a long TD. It would've been 3 games, but Rivers underthrew him on a 48 yard pass in the Raider game that should've been a 98 yard TD.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SoBeDad said:

2 games in a row with a long TD. It would've been 3 games, but Rivers underthrew him on a 48 yard pass in the Raider game that should've been a 98 yard TD.

The question is, do you see this as a continuing trend in terms of Rivers throwing a few bombs his way as he did the past few games?

More game script dependent?

Flukey and unpredictable performance?

Is this guy worth throwing in at flex knowing you may get a bust? Or is he becoming a more reliable downfield option? Targets seem really evenly spread. Saw 3.8 targets/game coming into this week, barely more than Gates, compared to Mike (4.3),  Melvin (7), and Allen (8.5)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

The question is, do you see this as a continuing trend in terms of Rivers throwing a few bombs his way as he did the past few games?

More game script dependent?

Flukey and unpredictable performance?

Is this guy worth throwing in at flex knowing you may get a bust? Or is he becoming a more reliable downfield option? Targets seem really evenly spread. Saw 3.8 targets/game coming into this week, barely more than Gates, compared to Mike (4.3),  Melvin (7), and Allen (8.5)

I thought Mike Williams would overtake Tyrell, but he doesn't have Tryell's speed. The 55 yard TD to Mike was bad coverage by the DB. Maybe having Mike and Allen opposite Tyrell has helped him get open deep. Because of his size, Mike was targeted (unsuccessfully) twice more in the end-zone. Maybe Tyrell will get one of those targets next game.

Tyrell has been very efficient on few targets - the last 3 weeks, starting today: 4/4, 3/4 and 3/3.  That efficiency on deep balls is hard to maintain. 

I sat Tyrell the last 2 games - I may start playing him after the bye.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, SoBeDad said:

2 games in a row with a long TD. It would've been 3 games, but Rivers underthrew him on a 48 yard pass in the Raider game that should've been a 98 yard TD.

Sure, and he also dropped a sure long TD in week 1 and failed to make a play on another possible TD. :shrug: 

Underthrows will happen sometimes; the nature of the deep ball is that it is typically less accurate than shorter passes. The thing Tyrell needs to do is avoid drops and make plays on contested balls. The past 2 weeks are very promising. If he gets open like that and makes plays without drops, he will continue to draw targets. But, that is the key question - will he? To date in his career, he has frequently flashed but has never been consistent.

He has the opportunity to make himself a lot of money if he plays well the rest of this season.

Edited by Just Win Baby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

The question is, do you see this as a continuing trend in terms of Rivers throwing a few bombs his way as he did the past few games?

Well, his long TD today came because his defender bit on a Rivers shoulder fake on a shorter route while Tyrell was running past him on a go route. Had the defender done his job, it's hard to say if Tyrell would have gotten open, whether or not Rivers would have thrown that ball to him, and, if so, whether or not he would have made the play.

What I just described is not exactly game script dependent, it is dependent on decisions made by defenders.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Tyrell Williams hauled in 4-of-6 targets for 46 yards in the Chargers' Week 10 win over the Raiders.

It was not a big game for Williams, but his usage was promising on Sunday. The six targets are actually the most he has seen this season, and he has clearly vanquished Mike Williams in the battle for the No. 2 receiver job. He will face a tougher test next week in Denver, but Williams will remain the FLEX conversation.

Nov 11 - 7:11 PM

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.