What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Tyrell Williams, DET - 9.22.21 - Concussion - Unlikely To Play Week 3 (1 Viewer)

Redmen62

Footballguy
Tyrell Williams is someone I've been following in camp with the Chargers and who is looking like an intriguing deep dynasty option at WR.

Williams is an UDFA out of Division II Western Oregon who the Chargers kept on their 53-man roster rather than expose to waivers. He has height and he has athleticism; 6'4", 205 lbs, ran a reported 4.42 at his pro day with a 39.5" vertical, 107″ Broad Jump, 4.22 Shuttle, and 6.53 3-cone. Pro day 40 times are usually taken with a huge grain of salt, but he also has track times that indicate good speed- 21.31 in the 200m and 10.78 in the 100m.

There's been a lot of buzz around him in camp, which led to local writers arguing he should make the final roster. It is telling, in my opinion, that in the end the Chargers kept a small-school UDFA on their 53-man roster. Especially so, since he says that he has little special-teams experience- it hints that the Chargers see him as potentially playing a role in their offence.

Rivers had some positive things to say about him ("gosh, not many guys are this big and that fast") after he made the 53, despite the fact that Williams was so low in the pecking order during camp that he hadn't had a single rep with Rivers as his QB until he made the team.

He'd made plays in the preseason games he's played, including a 63-yard catch and run in the final game that showed burst and long speed.

A player this athletic coming from Division II would usually come with character red flags, but that doesn't appear to be the case; Williams was simply a late bloomer, coming out of high school at 6'3" 160lbs from a run-heavy Wing-T offence.

We're clearly in deep dynasty territory here- it seems unlikely that he will go from DII to making any immediate fantasy impact, and the fantasy hit rate on these types of player isn't that high- but he's the kind end-of-roster stash I like; one where if he hits, he could hit big.

Western Oregon Highlights

Last edited by a moderator:
I like him too. SD may try and stash him on the practice squad. If they do and some team like Cleveland grabs him i'll like him a lot less.

San Diego WR Malcolm Floyd has said this is his last year. TE Antonio Gates is 35 and out suspended for the first month so the goal line role will fall to TE Green who hadn't stepped-up in the past so down the line, next year, it seems their will be an opening for a tall receiving target and Ty-Will has caught the eye of the team and of QB Phil Rivers.

Not suggesting to expect anything this year but he looks like a nice deep dynasty stash.

--------

Tom Krasovic@UTkrasovic Sep 5

Chargers made right move keeping WR Tyrell Williams. Too talented to risk losing. I explained 9 days ago here: http://tinyurl.com/nrx9rrw

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/aug/27/chargers-tyrell-williams-nfl-krasovic/

Chargers face a riddle at WR​

...The riddle is what to do with impressive rookie Tyrell Williams.

If the Chargers target him for the practice squad, they would risk losing him to a waiver claim. I wouldn't take the risk. Williams looks like a potential NFL starter. He's 6-foot-3 1/2 and explosive. Not only quick and fast, he is smooth and shifty. He has shown soft hands since he plucked a firm, contested pass on the first day of rookie camp, though he clanged a slant-pass Saturday against the Cardinals. He has won on slants, curls, fades, drags and go routes. On special teams, a new role for him, he made strides late in training camp, such as when he beat two defenders in punt coverage.

And yet, none of the 32 teams drafted Williams last spring. Thirty-four other receivers heard their names called.

Was it because he played for a Division II school, Western Oregon? Perhaps, but he was a known prospect who had 56 receptions for 950 yards and eight touchdowns as a senior. His impressive performance at Oregon State's Pro Day drew more attention last spring.

Like many receivers, he has a torn ACL in his distant past.

Slender, he could stand to fill out (the Chargers list him at 205 pounds). He has made a few "young" mistakes in practices.

The Chargers should want him to get a rugged test Saturday from the Seahawks, who have a knack for knocking thin receivers off course.

Williams has taken to coaching. He is getting better releases, an obstacle to many young receivers, than he did in June. He has applied pointers from coach Fred Graves and intern Eric Moulds, a former NFL receiver who made three Pro Bowls with the Bills.

Would another NFL team claim him?

The Panthers would seem a potential candidate. They showed interest in Williams last May. They lost their best receiver, Kelvin Benjamin, to a season-ending injury this month.

The Rams and Lions also courted Williams in May. The Browns are desperate for anybody who can run and catch.

Before the draft, the Patriots brought him to New England. Williams said he chose the Chargers for a few reasons. He liked Graves and the team's offensive system.

Staying on the West Coast was a perk.

With Jones and Inman able to play special teams, filling two roles, and with the Antonio Gates' suspension freeing up a roster spot until mid-October, the Chargers may have a little extra room for "bubble" players.

Williams looks like a candidate. -
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/sep/09/tyrell-williams-chargers-nfl-ryan-leaf/

Rivers happy Chargers kept WR Williams

... "Early in training camp, you see him and go, 'Gosh, not that many guys are this big and that fast,' " Rivers said. "And then you see all these injuries at wide receiver across the league, and you go, 'He's going to be a tough one to hang on.' You never know. It's risky."

Rivers mentioned Wednesday another undrafted rookie pass-catcher, one the Chargers lost in 2004.

A future Pro Bowler named Wes Welker.

He wasn't comparing their potential, but noting how the star of a less-heralded prospect can give off sparks. Rivers recalled that Welker, from Texas Tech, was "scrappy" that summer 11 years ago. He made striking plays on punt returns that caused Rivers to muse on his potential NFL future. Cut by coach Marty Schottenheimer, Welker would join the Dolphins and later the Patriots.

Williams, 23, has one advantage ahead of him that showed up this week.

Until Rivers threw to him Wednesday, the rookie had never caught a pass from him in a team drill. He simply was too far down the depth chart.

No disrespect to Chargers backups, but Rivers is a receiver's best friend. Case in point: Keenan Allen's strong rookie's season, during which Chargers opponents such as Colts cornerback Vontae Davis, a Pro Bowl defender, said Rivers made a lot of Allen's success possible.

Williams said he hopes his NFL presence inspires other players at Western Oregon. He wants the program to gain more recognition.

"Credit to him for earning a spot here," Rivers said. "He certainly had a heck of a camp."

I grabbed in both my Dynasty leagues, 1 of them I have a taxi squad, the other he has to stay on my active roster, but I don't think the Chargers depth or talent is that great in front of him, definitely worth a hold.

He is 5th or 6th on the Chargers depth chart right now. I'd be fairly surprised if he is active on gameday anytime soon, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he cannot stick on the roster all season (e.g., when Gates comes back from suspension, someone has to go to clear a roster spot; same for Craig Watts, assuming he comes back to the active roster).

The Chargers have a much better WR group than a lot of people realize. Floyd has always been very good but underrated. Stevie Johnson is a huge upgrade this year. And the Chargers have good targets at TE and RB, so they throw to their WRs less often than many teams.

His ceiling with the Chargers is likely to replace Floyd next season (Floyd is retiring). But check Floyd's fantasy numbers over the years. Even though he was always very good in NFL terms (consistently high PFF ratings, for example), Floyd was rarely useful in fantasy. And obviously his floor is to get demoted to the practice squad and never really make an impact on the field.

He is a long shot, and I am skeptical. It would have to be an extremely deep league for me to have interest.

ETA: BTW, I wouldn't put much stock in comments from Rivers about any other player. He never says anything negative, so it is impossible to tell what is fluff and what isn't, unless he really gushes about a player, like he did about Stevie Johnson this preseason.

ok, so why Tyrell and not Dontrelle?
Tyrell has more speed/height than Inman. Tyrell seems like he's got more potential to be a game breaker than Inman. If Tyrell can learn/execute the finer points of receiving he could be a good one. But you could say that about a lot of NFL wash outs. He's a project, I doubt he gets any targets early in the season without a rash of injuries to the other receivers. If he develops, maybe he gets in some games later in the season.

This is the same strategy the Broncos employed with CJ Anderson and while it doesn't necessarily mean the same thing, it WAS a big reason I started picking Anderson up everywhere when they did it because I believe it says volumes when a real-life team will tolerate holding a spot on their roster when they are so precious in order to avoid exposing a player to other teams.

In my opinion, it means they DO like something here and as others have mentioned, this is a team that will soon have some opportunities.

One other thing: I think there is a fairly good case to be said that the NFL doesn't do it's best scouting on small school prospects and that if the small school prospect has game and can stick long enough, they get the time they need to come into their own. Could this be a Charles Johnson?

See highlight video.

--------------------------

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/639657000410869760

WATCH: Tyrell Williams. 63-Yard Score.WATCH: Tyrell Williams jukes a defender out of his cleats

Inman had a 70-yard td last year in the preseason. BFD.

Inman had a few nice games (relatively speaking) down the stretch last year though. he also has some time in the CFL.

i know this is a thread for monitoring what would be a deep dynasty stash but Inman has pretty good size/speed at 6'3/4.47 forty too.

and he's actually done *more*.

i'm not ready to hype him without more evidence of his ascent *and* inman's decline.

See highlight video.

--------------------------

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/639657000410869760

WATCH: Tyrell Williams. 63-Yard Score.WATCH: Tyrell Williams jukes a defender out of his cleats

Inman had a 70-yard td last year in the preseason. BFD.

Inman had a few nice games (relatively speaking) down the stretch last year though. he also has some time in the CFL.

i know this is a thread for monitoring what would be a deep dynasty stash but Inman has pretty good size/speed at 6'3/4.47 forty too.

and he's actually done *more*.

i'm not ready to hype him without more evidence of his ascent *and* inman's decline.
I'm just a Charger fan, I don't play dynasty and don't have either guy on any rosters in FF. Based solely off what limited action I've seen from both guys in their Charger tenures, Williams just has more of an electric/dynamic factor to him than Inman does. I'm not saying Inman sucks or anything like that, I liked him too when they found him last year. But I don't ever see Inman being a legit WR1 on an NFL squad. I see that possibility with Williams.

When I look at Inman, I think, "could be a solid contributor." When I look at Williams, I think "could be a stud."

Yeah I see possible stud also with Williams. He flashes at all during the season and I'm grabbing him right then. If not but he stays on the team he's a late season stash.

Thanks guys. Just took the plunge since he was on our WW.

Love seeing the description of him at Western Oregon as "a man among boys". That was the exact same impression I got watching Garçon play in college.

As to trying to diminish him to Inman, first off I don't see why it had to be either/or. Both could succeed. Also like a guy like Williams better as a flyer personally since Inman already had one shot at the NFL, and when he had to settle for the CFL he did not dominate a league geared to emphasize passing.

A thing I like when I watch Williams is while he doesn't explode off the line or have the greatest twitch or swivel ability in his hips, he absolutely does have a top end gear. It seems like when he gets about 15 yards into his route, the separation is like oil and water. You just see the dbs floating off the screen away from him.

He catches with his hands. He can block. He can run multiple routes from different alignments. He obviously has the size to be a RZ target.

There are simply too many things going his way to not want to take a chance on him.

He's not T.O. or Andre Johnson in terms of combo and physicality, but he's definitely got "something" (that maybe someone more sophisticated than me can label).

One other thing that is interesting.

His 3-cone drill was 6.55 and that number is the best among all of the combine players this year according to Rob Rang who reported that Williams was asked by the New England Patriots to come in and visit with them pre-draft/post combine. So Hoodie was interested and that interests me.

Tyrell and DeAndre Smelter from SF are my sleeper/breakout WRs for 2016... just sayin

He is 5th or 6th on the Chargers depth chart right now. I'd be fairly surprised if he is active on gameday anytime soon, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he cannot stick on the roster all season (e.g., when Gates comes back from suspension, someone has to go to clear a roster spot; same for Craig Watts, assuming he comes back to the active roster).

The Chargers have a much better WR group than a lot of people realize. Floyd has always been very good but underrated. Stevie Johnson is a huge upgrade this year. And the Chargers have good targets at TE and RB, so they throw to their WRs less often than many teams.

His ceiling with the Chargers is likely to replace Floyd next season (Floyd is retiring). But check Floyd's fantasy numbers over the years. Even though he was always very good in NFL terms (consistently high PFF ratings, for example), Floyd was rarely useful in fantasy. And obviously his floor is to get demoted to the practice squad and never really make an impact on the field.

He is a long shot, and I am skeptical. It would have to be an extremely deep league for me to have interest.

ETA: BTW, I wouldn't put much stock in comments from Rivers about any other player. He never says anything negative, so it is impossible to tell what is fluff and what isn't, unless he really gushes about a player, like he did about Stevie Johnson this preseason.
Revisiting this post since the thread got bumped. Things played out as expected last season, and now Floyd has been replaced by Benjamin, so that would seem to continue to cap Tyrell's ceiling.

Tyrell seems to be competing for the 4th WR spot at best, with WR1 Allen, WR2 Benjamin, and WR3 Stevie all clearly ahead on the depth chart. Inman, Tyrell, Herndon, and Dom Williams are all competing for the WR4 and (maybe) WR5 spots. Last season, San Diego opened the season with 5 WRs, but Jacoby Jones was the 5th and he made the roster solely to return punts/kicks. This year, Benjamin should handle punts, and I assume either he or Oliver should handle kickoffs, so they don't need a WR on the roster solely for returns. That probably hurts Herndon in the competition, and Dom Williams is a UDFA rookie, so he is probably the least likely to make it.

I expect Inman to again be the WR4, and Tyrell to be the WR5 if the Chargers carry a 5th.

But as WR5, that means he will presumably be behind the top 4 WRs plus Gates, Henry, Gordon, and Woodhead in the pecking order for targets. I can't really understand why anyone would peg him as a breakout/sleeper candidate this year unless they play in a deeper league than I've ever heard of.

Benjamin and Tyrell are not similar WRs. Different body measureables, different game.

I don't have Stevie Johnson as a lock for the WR3 either. I absolutely think Tyrell Williams can make a strong play for the WR3 or WR4 position. Solidly on my breakout/sleeper radar.

Benjamin and Tyrell are not similar WRs. Different body measureables, different game.

I don't have Stevie Johnson as a lock for the WR3 either. I absolutely think Tyrell Williams can make a strong play for the WR3 or WR4 position. Solidly on my breakout/sleeper radar.
I am not saying Benjamin and Tyrell are similar WRs. What I am saying is that Benjamin replaced Floyd as the #2 WR, which prevents Tyrell from potentially claiming that spot. I think there is very little chance that Stevie falls below WR3, since that would mean the Chargers would cut him. That really doesn't make sense when the head coach and possibly the GM jobs are on the line this season, and they have a veteran offense.

I am not saying Benjamin and Tyrell are similar WRs. What I am saying is that Benjamin replaced Floyd as the #2 WR, which prevents Tyrell from potentially claiming that spot. I think there is very little chance that Stevie falls below WR3, since that would mean the Chargers would cut him. That really doesn't make sense when the head coach and possibly the GM jobs are on the line this season, and they have a veteran offense.
Why wouldn't the coach and GM want the best player on the field if their jobs are on thd line? I have no confidence that this organization will identify the best player but you would think the GM and coach would want their best players on the field. 

Why wouldn't the coach and GM want the best player on the field if their jobs are on thd line? I have no confidence that this organization will identify the best player but you would think the GM and coach would want their best players on the field. 
I think they will want their best players on the field. Best players for the roles defined in the offense. Allen is the best player for the WR1 role, Benjamin is the best player for the WR2 role, and Stevie is the best player for the WR3 role. I really don't think there is any legitimate debate about that, assuming all are healthy. :shrug:

ETA: What I was getting it is that to drop Stevie below WR3 would really only be done to cut him, and the reason for that would not be that Tyrell, Inman, et al. are better, it would be to save money/cap room. But for a team that needs to win now, it doesn't make sense to cut a more capable player in order to save money.

I don't think Stevie Johnson is the 3rd best WR on the team. This is where we differ. Given the opportunity, I think Tyrell would outplay Stevie Johnson.

• Smile
Reactions: LBH
San Diego Union-Tribune reports second-year WR Tyrell Williams has made a "sizable leap" in his second training camp.
Considered painfully raw coming out of Western Oregon as a UDFA last year, Williams has reportedly improved his route running and now has a shot at playing time following Stevie Johnson's year-ending meniscus tear. The Chargers could give Keenan Allen more slot work and bookend him with Williams and Travis Benjamin in three-receiver sets. Williams is someone to watch this preseason. Williams stands 6'4/204 and is a 90th-percentile SPARQ athlete.

Source: Union-Tribune San Diego

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2016/8/8/12407284/chargers-training-camp-notes-tyrell-williams-is-a-terror

Tyrell Williams did his best TO impression today looking almost unstoppable catching 3 TDs in practice plus he put a little stank on it too. In 1-on-1 drills today he was matched up with CB Casey Hayward and Hayward ended up getting the incompletion on tight coverage. Williams then rolled his finger around to signal to go again and said something to the effect of "run it back." Hayward didn't hear Williams and was walking back to the sideline when a coach yelled out "Casey, Tyrell wants to go again." Hayward swings around points at his chest and runs to go at it again. The result of that play was a TD that left Hayward standing still. Here it is (you might have to view in on Vine):

As an encore, to end 11-on-11's Tyrell Williams caught back-to-back TD passes to end the session. That's not even including all the other catches Williams racked up today. Excellent.

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2016/8/6/12395666/five-takeaways-from-chargers-fanfest-2016

Tyrell Williams is the real deal; period, the end.  The man some have nicknamed "Tyrell Moss" had his best play in 11-on-11 when he stretched Jason Verrett vertically down the near sideline and split #22 and Addae for a catch on a perfectly thrown jump ball from Rivers.  He has arguably been the story of camp and should provide some big play ability this season.  The man just stands out no matter who is matched up with.

Found out about him when Johnson first got hurt....really like his upside.

Drafted him at 7.01 in my 16 team dynasty rookie/FA draft

Let's see how he does when they start hitting people. It's nice to hear these things about camp but I own him in dynasty and these guys never work out for me so I'd sell after a few of these monster Preseason games he's about to have lololol.

The reports out of camp have all been very good. Stevie is out for the season, but that would be more meaningful had the team not immediately signed James Jones.

It seems clear that Tyrell will be in the top 4 WRs. Without more injuries, it seems that he and Jones will be the #3 and #4 WRs, one way or the other, behind Allen and Benjamin.

The team is expected to significantly reduce its usage of 3 WR formations and is also expected to have fewer passing attempts. So WR snaps will be reduced and WR targets will be reduced. Also, Jones is known for being a good red zone player, so it is possible Tyrell won't get many snaps in that area of the field. Unless Tyrell breaks through as the #2 WR, it doesn't seem like he will be a useful fantasy player this season.

All that said, I hope I'm wrong, since a breakout from him would be great for the Chargers.

Chargers are holding WR Tyrell Williams out of their preseason opener due to "leg tightness."
The malady isn't known to be serious enough that we're going to mark Williams as "sidelined," but the Chargers' decision to play it so safely with Williams may be an indication he's a big part of their 2016 plans. That especially became the case when Stevie Johnson (knee) was lost for the year. Consider Williams day to day at worst. He will probably return to practice next week.

Source: Michael Gehlken on Twitter

I have him in every dynasty so far, and haven't had to reach for him in drafts. Doesn't seem to be much hype out there yet despite an improving situation....

Love the measurables and he looks good on tape but I don't really see much of a role this year without injuries. Still he's a great stash in deeper dynasty leagues.

Time to bump this thread up. 

So, Charger homers and dynasty stashers: what can you tell us about this guy?

It's worth rereading this thread from the start, but highlights are that

- he came from a small school last year and was undrafted

- he has great height and measurables (90th percentile SPARQ guy)

- he started out very raw but made a couple big plays in the 2015 preseason and the team kept him on the 53 man roster which is unusual for a raw prospect unless you don't want to lose him

- ended up releasing him/signing him to practice squad, then calling him back up in november last year

- he reportedly made a huge leap in year two 

- had some dominant training camp performances

- got dinged in training camp and was apparently secure enough in his spot that the team rested him

- had two catches for 71 in an ot game where keenan allen was hurt, although by the time that happened, the chargers were up big and trying to protect the lead so they weren't passing downfield much

- earned nicknames like tyrell moss because he's six three and a half, runs a low 4.4 and is an athlete.  He's a little wirey and was so raw coming out that he probably wasn't going to break out fuly on his own this september but with an increased opportunity now he is really intriguing.

Many thanks to the guys who started and updated this thread along the way 

IIRC he had 5 targets yesterday. Other than the 2 catches, he was targeted semi-deep down each sideline and once on a fade in the end zone.

I think he was open on both of the sideline throws but Rivers missed him. He and Rivers don't yet have the kind of chemistry that Rivers has with Allen and Gates and previously had with VJax and Floyd.

The fade was well defended, but he really did not run a good route; even if he came down with the ball he would have been out of bounds. That showed a bit of his inexperience.

I expect the team to split Allen's snaps between Inman and Tyrell. The opportunity to seize the WR1 role is there. if he is available, he should be added in all formats.

Users who are viewing this thread