What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Tyrell Williams, DET - 9.22.21 - Concussion - Unlikely To Play Week 3 (1 Viewer)

Here's something that ticks me off, and I must watch this team almost every afternoon, the big value in TW is in the red zone. They throw to him short of the goal line, like vs the Saints, and just now vs the falcs, but almost never 'in' the end zone. Aggravates me, he has a natural advantage there.

Here's something that ticks me off, and I must watch this team almost every afternoon, the big value in TW is in the red zone. They throw to him short of the goal line, like vs the Saints, and just now vs the falcs, but almost never 'in' the end zone. Aggravates me, he has a natural advantage there.
I learned this lesson early in LeVeon Bell's career. Just track the targets bro. If he keeps getting targeted in the redzone he's going to score in time. He has missed 2-3 TD's this season by just being unlucky.......He's going to have a 2-3 TD game in the future. He's a stud.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's talented. There's no question about that. Rivers spreads it out though which makes him maddening to own. Next week vs Denver is probably a bench.

Already owned and had to drop him a bit earlier in the season, but suffice to say I'm happy I aborted my matchup this week towards the end of the first games ( was def going to lose ), scooped him up off the wire and just went with an empty at my kicker position. 

Will work out how to fit him on the roster next week, couldn't afford to let him go off today and get taken again on waivers next week. 

Once he gets past Denver next week he's got a great run of matches down the stretch. And you have to feel that Rivers is just going to start trusting him more and more. 

1st and 10 on the 15 and Rivers never even looks at the WR that has 140 yards receiving.......I'm sorry but that is sooooooooo &*(^&*%&*%&*^(* frustrating.

Off the top of my head, I remember two times when he was targeted at the goal line/end zone and didn't make the plays. Once in the first game (?), he ran a fade but ran a poor route. The other time Rivers threw it to him on a play snapped from the 1 yard line, and he couldn't get one yard.

Bottom line, he is raw. Winning in the tighter confines of the red zone/end zone is easier with savvy/experience, but he doesn't have that yet. Meanwhile, the Chargers have other talented red zone options.

The TDs will come, particularly next season and beyond.

So pissed I bailed on this guy a couple of weeks ago for Steve Smith, who proceeds to get injured the week I grabbed him. I tip my cap to the owner who used a waiver claim on him. That owner started him today and will get the W. Meanwhile, I'm still hurting at WR.

For someone who makes reference to 'scouting', you don't seem to have much of a clue on how offense works.
Didn't look his way once inside the 20 when I was watching. Not once. Maybe I missed a series. I was going back and forth between the Pitt game and the SD game but I didn't see it.

5 games 21 catches 358 yards 2 tds

16 game pace 67 catches 1150 yards 6.3 tds

Last 4 games (since allen got hurt) 19 catches 287 yards 2 tds

16 game pace 76 catches 1148 yards 8 tds

Take out his best and worst games

3 games 11 catches 201 yards 1 td

16 game pace 59 catches 1070 yards 5.3 tds

So the good news is it seems pretty reasonable to expect him to go for around 60/1100/6 on the season without projecting any improvement.

The bad news is it's been against a weak schedule.  He's faced the chiefs, jaguars, colts, saints and raiders.  Not exactly a murderers row.  But aside from the two broncos games, and maybe the chiefs in week 17, he faces the falcons, titans, dolphins, texans, bucs and then wraps up with the panthers, raiders and browns.  They have an amazingly soft passing schedule all year.  

Also Rivers was really mad at him on a third down pass yesterday.  He caught the ball on a short crossing route short of the first down marker and didn't turn up field in time.  But there were no grudges - he did most of his damage including the touchdown after that.  

Another frustrating thing - gates has 2 of the 8 tds he needs to set the record.  Henry has 2 tds of his own.  Melvin gordon got his first eceiving td this week too.  So the idea that he's the only big red zone target is on hold for now.  

One more thing worth noting that he is getting more snaps than inman or benjamin - all of them in the 60%-70% range.  That could go up based on his role in single receiver sets.  Compare that with inman, who has been getting snaps in the offense longer, and benjamin, who seems to only be the "speed receiver", and i can see the relatively raw williams with good size and speed improving more than the others.  

With a good qb, bad d, large role in the offense, good production so far, soft remaining schedule and room to improve his skills as the season goes on, i think he's emerging as a solid, every-week wr2 this year and a keeper/dynasty steal.  
Through 7 games

31/526/2 = 4.4/75/.3 per game = 71/1200/5 pace

Since allen got hurt 79/1210/6 pace

Take out his best and worst 67/1150/6.3 td

So he's improved slightly in reception/yardage pace and fallen off his td pace a little.  I believe he now has 3 catches that were downed at the 1, 1 and 3, plus he should get more looks as he improves, so the tds should skew heavier to the second half of the season.  

He faces denver next week and i will likely bench him in all leagues, but with both games against denver out of the way he will have the titans, rexans, dolphins, bucs, and then finish with the panthers, raiders and browns in weeks 14-16.  4 of those 7 are home games.  

Through 7 games

31/526/2 = 4.4/75/.3 per game = 71/1200/5 pace

Since allen got hurt 79/1210/6 pace

Take out his best and worst 67/1150/6.3 td

So he's improved slightly in reception/yardage pace and fallen off his td pace a little.  I believe he now has 3 catches that were downed at the 1, 1 and 3, plus he should get more looks as he improves, so the tds should skew heavier to the second half of the season.  

He faces denver next week and i will likely bench him in all leagues, but with both games against denver out of the way he will have the titans, rexans, dolphins, bucs, and then finish with the panthers, raiders and browns in weeks 14-16.  4 of those 7 are home games.  
Yeah next week I'm playing maclin in front of him only because of denver but he's taking the starters spot in my lineup after that.  He's legit.

Yeah next week I'm playing maclin in front of him only because of denver but he's taking the starters spot in my lineup after that.  He's legit.

Slightly different, but it looks like next week I will have to drop Maclin off my roster in order to keep Tyrell. Loaded at the position so there's just not room for both of them. Maclin has become unusable in non PPR, he might have the better matchup next week, but Tyrell is producing at far closer to the level I hoped Maclin would this season 

Slightly different, but it looks like next week I will have to drop Maclin off my roster in order to keep Tyrell. Loaded at the position so there's just not room for both of them. Maclin has become unusable in non PPR, he might have the better matchup next week, but Tyrell is producing at far closer to the level I hoped Maclin would this season 
Sounds like the right move.  Not sure if maclin or ar15 goes to my bench after next week.  It's sad

Sounds like the right move.  Not sure if maclin or ar15 goes to my bench after next week.  It's sad
Feel for you. Bortles may not be a good real life QB, but I just don't see how in anyway anyone could predict Robinson busting so far. I always think if you can hit on even just 1 out of your top 2 picks in each of RB and WR or 2 out of your top 3, your in decent enough shape to work through things. Two top WR picks falling short is rough. 

Feel for you. Bortles may not be a good real life QB, but I just don't see how in anyway anyone could predict Robinson busting so far. I always think if you can hit on even just 1 out of your top 2 picks in each of RB and WR or 2 out of your top 3, your in decent enough shape to work through things. Two top WR picks falling short is rough. 
My wrs are kelvin benjamin, maclin, ar15, tyrell, and coates.  We play 3 wr.  Gonna be interesting to see who i keep playing.  Ar15 and maclin are in trouble.  When ben comes back coates goes back in my lineup 

I think he might be an upgrade over Palmer (until Roethlisberger gets back-soon, I hope), but I could probably shop Williams around.  I took him in the last round (thanks to this thread, I took a shot), so he's the cheapest possible keeper (we count WW adds as a mid-round pick to keep). 

The question is basically, do we value Williams equal to, ahead of, or behind Dez?

I'm speaking about for the rest of this season; I'm trying to make a run this year & if I have to take a hit next year/down the road, I will.

He is #12 in receiving yards, #7 in qualifiers for YPC, and #9 in YAC. He's on pace for 1202 receiving yards, which would be the most for any Chargers WR since 1995.

And all this despite the fact that he is still a bit raw. He isn't close to his ceiling yet.

This Chargers passing offense is going to be unstoppable next season if Allen is back healthy and they decide to re-sign Woodhead. How does an opposing defense defend Allen, Williams, Benjamin, Henry, and Woodhead all at the same time? Not possible.

He is tied for 5th in the league in red zone targets.   With the talent,  youth and situation this is a great asset to own in dynasty. 

He is tied for 5th in the league in red zone targets.   With the talent,  youth and situation this is a great asset to own in dynasty and redraft.
Fixed for you. He will win championships for people this year. Weeks 14-16 are great match ups. Hope for a bad game from him this week and try to buy if you don't have him.

Does anyone have the stones to start him against Denver?

I might have to out of necessity, but curious if people are saying "to hell with the matchup" and rolling with him anyway against the Broncos. All it takes is one big play for him to make a fantasy day.

I might have to out of necessity, but curious if people are saying "to hell with the matchup" and rolling with him anyway against the Broncos. All it takes is one big play for him to make a fantasy day.
Nope

Denver just doesnt let WRs score, like, at all.  Benching this week, as I did in the first matchup.

Will be the final time he is out of the lineup other than his bye though.   Getting the necessary targets to potentially nova in any given week, but I get to roll him out as a flex?  Yeah, Im going to keep doing that.

I'm starting him but only because my other options stink.  It's a PPR so I'm expecting around 8 points.  Anything more than that would be gravy.  

Yep, 5 leagues, starting in all, but my options are limited.

Diggs and Garcon are the 2 biggest names i'm sitting for him, so you can see, I'm not in a good place, this week.

He is #12 in receiving yards, #7 in qualifiers for YPC, and #9 in YAC. He's on pace for 1202 receiving yards, which would be the most for any Chargers WR since 1995.

And all this despite the fact that he is still a bit raw. He isn't close to his ceiling yet.

This Chargers passing offense is going to be unstoppable next season if Allen is back healthy and they decide to re-sign Woodhead. How does an opposing defense defend Allen, Williams, Benjamin, Henry, and Woodhead all at the same time? Not possible.
He could be better than Allen at some point. The only point if concern is targets next year. Will he get enough to be a WR2 or will he be more of a boom or bust WR3 because they use him more as a deep threat only?

1st and 10 on the 15 and Rivers never even looks at the WR that has 140 yards receiving.......I'm sorry but that is sooooooooo &*(^&*%&*%&*^(* frustrating.
The problem lies in the productive TE around the goal line, that and the RB scoring so many TDs.

one thing is for sure. This will be crowded and spotty week to week, kinda like NE is now..

Has anyone explored selling?  Don't get me wrong, the kid's got talent... but Allen will be the top dog when he returns next year, assuming health.  The TE will still be a factor with Henry proving his mettle.  They seem to want to run Melvin Gordon into the ground.

It *feels* to me like his share of the pie is at its plausible peak for the next few years, but perhaps I'm off in that assessment.

Has anyone explored selling?  Don't get me wrong, the kid's got talent... but Allen will be the top dog when he returns next year, assuming health.  The TE will still be a factor with Henry proving his mettle.  They seem to want to run Melvin Gordon into the ground.

It *feels* to me like his share of the pie is at its plausible peak for the next few years, but perhaps I'm off in that assessment.
After picking up Meridith and riding his 2nd game I had the audacity to assume his production would continue ... so I soldTyrell in a keep up to 3 league for TE Bennett as I am leading the div in that league at 4-1 at the time of the trade and needed a TE bad. I felt like the value was fair and I have Evans/Green as my WR1/2, so just trying to fill that 3rd WR spot (no flex). At the time I saw Meridth as a Tyrell clone, but getting more targets/opp. I also felt Tyrell would be useless 2 of the next 3 weeks (DEN twice) and had a bye still to come, so if I was going to move him it was before that stretch. I consider Bennett a boom/bust TE that when he busts wont hurt me too bad considering TE is a tough spot this year and when he booms will give me those weeks. Also at the time Meridith had keeper potential if Alshon left, especially.

If I knew Hoyer was going to get inj I would probably not have done this trade and kept streaming TEs week to week, but I don't see Tyrell as a keeper next season on my team (Zeke/McCoy/Evans/Green) at least with Allen and the rest of the receiving options coming back next season.  I don't see Bennett as a real keeper option either, but even less so, so playing for this year mostly with that trade. I agree that one should enjoy Tyrell after this next matchup for the ROS, but next year will be too crowded to predict the same production with Allen and Woodhead back in the mix (he is already struggling to get TDs now).

In my other league I also have Tyrell Williams who has been spot starting for me at the flex. He will be sitting this week.

I have few options this week (16-team standard, start 2WRs+WR/TE flex) and I'm *still* sticking him on the bench. Will be going with Monty/JBrown and Fiedorowicz at flex. At least they all have the possibility of a TD.

Starting next week, he's locked in as my WR1.

Users who are viewing this thread