What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Willie Snead (1 Viewer)

I guess this is a shameless bump, any objective observations this year?
He's looked pretty good so far, is going to get a lot of opportunity. He's not a TD guy, but a solid reliable player. I think he goes from 100 targets to 120 and breaks 1000 yards. He's still likely only a 3-6 TD guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if it's ever just this easy, but these are Cooks numbers the last two years: 246 targets, 2,311 yards and 17 touchdowns in the last two seasons.

Or 123 targets, 1155 yards and 8.5 TDs per year.

Cooks had the effect of stepping in for the old RB/TE offense.

Could the Saints revert back to that with Fleener/Hill & Ingram/AP/Kamara/Cadet?

Snead last year was 104/72/895/4.

I think the ~120/85/1000+/6 that 80s mentions above is reasonable. I'm wondering where the other 100 targets might go now.

I personally think people are underestimating Ginn in this picture, but I could be wrong.  I have Snead with a slight bump for last year going from 15% to 17% of the targets for a projection of 75 - 989 - 5.  

I personally think people are underestimating Ginn in this picture, but I could be wrong.  I have Snead with a slight bump for last year going from 15% to 17% of the targets for a projection of 75 - 989 - 5.  
Ginn will be like Devery Henderson from a few years back.  Even though he played very well in CAR,  he still drops way too many passes.

My projection for Snead is pretty similar - 80/1025/6.  Snead is not likely to be a big TD guy.....but I cannot see Brees throwing  less than 32 TDs.  If Snead only catches 4-5 TDs....where are the rest of the TDs going?

Ginn will be like Devery Henderson from a few years back.  Even though he played very well in CAR,  he still drops way too many passes.

My projection for Snead is pretty similar - 80/1025/6.  Snead is not likely to be a big TD guy.....but I cannot see Brees throwing  less than 32 TDs.  If Snead only catches 4-5 TDs....where are the rest of the TDs going?
"Me."

- Adrian Peterson

IDK, Henderson hasn't played since 2012 and was completely iirrelevant that year.

Looking at the last 3 years the top 5 pass catchers for the Siants have been 3 WR, 1 TE, and 1 RB each year.

2014 - Targets 431
Graham - 125
Cooks - 69 (10 games)
Colston - 99
Stills - 83
Thomas - 55

2015 - 468
Cooks - 129
Watson - 110
Snead - 102
Colston - 67
Ingram - 60

2016 - 474
Thomas - 119
Cooks - 116
Snead - 101
Fleener - 81
Ingram  - 57

2017 My Guess - 475
Thomas - 130
Snead - 110
Ginn - 100
Fleener - 80
Ingram - 55

NFL suspended Willie Snead for three games.

Source: Field Yates on Twitter

Sep 1 - 5:32 PM
Which is a reduction of the original 4 game. This means the Saints have known this was coming and seems to coincide with Snead being demoted, playing into the 4Q. 

NFL suspended Willie Snead three games for violating the league's policy on substances of abuse.

The suspension reportedly stems from an offseason DUI, but this is the first we have heard of it. Adam Schefter reports the ban was reduced from four games to three on appeal, which makes it even more shocking it stayed under wraps. That said, Snead's usage this preseason and Ted Ginn's spot as the No. 2 receiver now makes more sense. Snead needs to be downgraded while Ginn and Coby Fleener are suddenly more interesting fantasy options.

Source: Field Yates on Twitter

Sep 1 - 5:32 PM

In some ways this is good news for Snead.

Without knowing this news, it looked like the Saints were down on Snead, had moved Ginn ahead of him on the depth chart, and were playing Snead late into games because he was down on the depth chart.

Now it looks like maybe Ginn was playing ahead of Snead because Ginn is going to be available weeks 1-3 and Snead is not, and Snead was playing late into games to get some time on the field because he isn't going to be playing weeks 1-3.

When Snead comes back in week 4, the Saints might already be planning to move him right back into the #2 WR role that we thought he'd have.

Well; that finally explains his weird preseason usage. I passed on him a couple times - was super high on him going into the draft, but news kept getting stranger & stranger. 

In a start 10 super-flex dynasty I grabbed J Matthews, Meredith, and Snead.  I'm kinda screwed the first couple weeks since depth dominates in that format.  Still confident Snead will make a major impact by the end of the year.

Had to lock in my keepers a couple of days ago.....wished I would have known this.  At least I kept Snead for cheap and I didn't keep him over a different option.

Am I missing something, or is it just a 3 game suspension? People are acting like he died. I have him as a late round keeper, but having a WR3 out before bye weeks does not seem like a big deal?

Am I missing something, or is it just a 3 game suspension? People are acting like he died. I have him as a late round keeper, but having a WR3 out before bye weeks does not seem like a big deal?
It's the knowledge that Payton has a doghouse 6 miles deep. 

In the preseason he's been listed behind Ginn on the depth chart, and his usage was deeply diminished. 1-2 targets a game. 

And more telling, he was used well into the 4th quarter of game 3. I think he lined up until the last offensive snap. 

That's why this is so concerning. Payton has a no :bs:   tolerance policy, and clearly a substance abuse violation is some BS he won't tolerate.

might only be a 3 game suspension, burnit might be a 1/2 season (or more) impact. 

You're right but if this was widely known going into training camps or just a couple weeks ago, he could have been drafted a couple rounds later. And in deeper formats (or those with 3 WR starters), he's a starter and Ginn's a possible starter as well. 

Snead was dropped in my league this morning. I plan to put in a WW claim (I think I should be awarded - I am currently #2 but the owner ahead of me is the guy who dropped Snead).

Dropping Zay Jones - either of these guys will be WR6 or 7 for me, so not sure there is much downside to this one...but potentially keeping Snead out of a competitors hands later in the season or as a trade piece is intriguing.

So bump.....tedd ginn??? Fleener??? Coleman??? Mike Thomas is gonna get triple covered....
Ginn was already being drafted in NO area leagues, I can tell you that.

The only players seen in the slot this preseason have been Coleman, Lewis and Cadet. Cadet may or may not be cut. Lewis is underrated and probably along with Ginn showed better than any receiver this preseason. Coleman and Lewis present two totally opposite matchup problems for opponents.

Where do you guys rank Snead at this point? Is he likely to be a top 30 WR upon his return? You know Brees is going to sling the ball and NO is going to need to put points on the board.

Ginn hasn't really shown much. If you weee a Snead owner and held through suspension I'm guessing rewards are coming. WR2/3 fringe 

Ginn hasn't really shown much. If you weee a Snead owner and held through suspension I'm guessing rewards are coming. WR2/3 fringe 
I dropped Corey Davis for Snead to sit on him.

Bonus: Davis was just dropped again and now I am debating whether to pick him back up (drop Zay Jones).   Also considering Russell Wilson so not sure yet....

Where do you guys rank Snead at this point? Is he likely to be a top 30 WR upon his return? You know Brees is going to sling the ball and NO is going to need to put points on the board.
I think he has lost his job to Coleman, he be fighting for scraps with Teddy when he returns.

Definitely a questionable fantasy start in Week 4; but the kid can play.  Me thinks he will find his way onto the field sooner than later.
I'm starting him immediately.  He was drafted as my WR3 and I'm ecstatic not to have to trot out the Kendall Wright's of the world anymore.  Great matchup against the travel- worn Dolphins in London this weekend, too. 

I'm starting him immediately.  He was drafted as my WR3 and I'm ecstatic not to have to trot out the Kendall Wright's of the world anymore.  Great matchup against the travel- worn Dolphins in London this weekend, too. 

I think I would start him over Kendal Wright too, especially when you consider how good the Saints passing game looked in week 3.

I am sitting Snead this week. I want to give him a game to get back into the flow of things,and to see how he will be used in his first game back. 

I am sitting Snead this week. I want to give him a game to get back into the flow of things,and to see how he will be used in his first game back. 
I'm starting him right away.

He's been with Brees the past 2 years. So should be no issues there.

Last year he posted 900 yards and 4 TDs with Cooks around. This year there's no Cooks and they only added Ginn. So his role should be the same as last year at worst and likely expanded due to no Cooks.

Neither Ginn nor Coleman have distinguished themselves that much in Snead's absence.  Fleener had a couple of nice games, but he did the same when Snead was out last year.  I think he's startable right off the bat.

Any other Snead owners want to share what they are doing with him this week?  I currently have him benched in favor of Thielen and D. Adams.

It seems like most other owners are more confident in him being fully utilized right away than I am.  (although, I don't really have a good argument for why he wouldn't be)

Any other Snead owners want to share what they are doing with him this week?  I currently have him benched in favor of Thielen and D. Adams.

It seems like most other owners are more confident in him being fully utilized right away than I am.  (although, I don't really have a good argument for why he wouldn't be)

I could sure use him with a couple of my top WRs on IR but I'm going to wait and see what his snap count looks like.  Personally I think I'll regret it once the weekend is over but still want more info.

I'm starting him.

I could see sitting him if he were coming off injury ...

but he's coming off suspension, healthy, fresh, & chompin at the bit.

He knows the playbook already. Why would NOS hold him back?

I'm going to sit back and see what happens. Have been playing AB, Adams and Demaryius the first three weeks and don't see a reason to change yet. 

I'm starting him immediately. 
Never mind!

Willie Snead (hamstring) is questionable for Week 4 against the Dolphins.

Advice: He was a late addition to the injury report on Friday and got in a limited practice. Late-week adds are rarely ever good news, so Snead is probably a game-time decision at best. This could give the Saints a reason to hold him out through the Week 5 bye as Snead comes off a three-game suspension.

(Rotoworld.com)
I'll plug in Paul Richardson instead and give Snead a chance to get acclimated and work into game shape, whether he's a go or not.

D'oh!  Wasn't planning on starting him this week, but hopefully this isn't something that lingers....at least he has a bye week after this game if it is anything

Users who are viewing this thread