What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Crowdsourcing the FFA for public art (1 Viewer)

Want to REALLY crowdsource it? Why don't you get yourself a little web and social media campaign going and actually get a crowd to assist and then support you along the way?

Not sure of the time constraints etc, but that would be pretty cool. Have people provide ideas, you can take the best ideas, have them vote on them maybe or vote on different color schemes etc - you control it and have final say, but the community who uses the stop(s) or walks by them gets to be part of creating the amenity.

Time constraints are stupid and absurd.

This will be a temporary thing, just to see whether Metro Transit will go for it full-time.

Budget is 10 grand. Design/build/install is only 3 weeks. Temporary shelter or whatever it is only stays up for 2.5 weeks.

Time constraints are stupid and absurd.

This will be a temporary thing, just to see whether Metro Transit will go for it full-time.

Budget is 10 grand. Design/build/install is only 3 weeks. Temporary shelter or whatever it is only stays up for 2.5 weeks.
Time enough to at least get a little twitter / social networking campaign, no? Facebook page for people to provide ideas. They in turn become your supporters through the process. Just a suggestion, especially if you know someone who does it already because it's not time consumming at all.

Either way, check out the site I sent you, and you might want to check out the Crowdsourced Placemaking / Tactical Urbanism links that are on the page, which may (or may not) provide some ideas as well. PM me if you want more info as I'm involved not in that site specifically, but with the Crowdsourced Placemaking program do might be able to help you brainstorm - or rather give you stuff to check out from which you may brainstorm.

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry- is there something in that pic to discuss? I see a couple of colored lumps on the ground to the left the bus-stop... is that your design idea?

sorry- is there something in that pic to discuss? I see a couple of colored lumps on the ground to the left the bus-stop... is that your design idea?
no. that is just the bus stop that i am probably going to do somehting at
ok.

and.... you want somebody else to design it?

eta: sorry- not trying to be glib- just not clear what's going on here, but I'm interested (in the thing- not in helping- no time).

I'm unsure here. You want donations to help you fund a trial temporary installation?

Im not being snarky just curious. Oh and I will buy you beers whenever you want. I'm in the Twin cities now and genuinely interested in hearing what you do. I liked the lite brite map thing.

Where in the city is this particular stop? Any specific "need" in that community? Could you design sorta a kiosk into the stop and highlight local artists and/or artisans, maybe a new one selling stuff each week, or have some schedule, something where they could bring their stuff, take it home.

Perhaps something about tying into the transit schedule and other city information (is this a wifi available area? so many are in downtowns now) in some interactive screen idea.

Playing off the history of the place is always good. Something educational but fun. Informative at the least.

Just some initial thoughts.

Laser cut 2 pieces of Stainless into a shape similar to the ying-yang symbol. Put bench between (and supported by) symbols. Add roof and done.

OK, I guess I need to be more clear you ####### dolts :)

I am not seeking money, or assistance building this whatever it is thing. I am also not looking for someone to design it for me.

This is a pilot program, run by the downtown improvement district (funded by a tax on all downtown businesses), in partnership with Metro Transit.

They have identified 6 or 7 bus stops that are subpar in one way or another: unsafe, not enough lighting, lack of shelter or benches, long wait times, etc. I have been charged with remedying any number of these issues by designing and building something. Could be a shelter or a bench. Could be something to keep people busy. Could be playful, or ridiculous, or completely boring but functional.

We have some ideas, just looking to see if this place is worth anything for something like this :)

Koya - thanks for the links. Ran into a bunch of them already in my research for this project, as well as past projects.

Here is stuff I do

fantastic stuff, moops- thanks for sharing that.

really dig it- in particularly, love the lite brite.

how about a phone/pad charger station- but make it incredibly tightly spaced, so people are literally forced to rub shoulders with eachother while charging their crap. and rotating knives.

fantastic stuff, moops- thanks for sharing that.

really dig it- in particularly, love the lite brite.

how about a phone/pad charger station- but make it incredibly tightly spaced, so people are literally forced to rub shoulders with eachother while charging their crap. and rotating knives.
haha

i did joke that we should make something and incorporate phone chargers into it, only they woudl be totally non-functional. Perhaps even make it so it draws power from peoples phones to power something else

As far as links or derivative works goes, Boston had a sort of public exhibition/competition (?!) in 2013 called Street Seats. Took a walking tour of it in August. The Design Museum no longer has all 172 works submitted or anything up on its web site, but maybe you can inquire if you want to.

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/arts-entertainment/blog/2013/04/25/street-seats-challenge-boston-design-museum-boston/

https://www.architects.org/architectureboston/articles/street-seats-reimagining-public-bench

As far as original ideas on my end, no. None. I'm visual arts-impaired. Good luck.

Are you looking for something interactive or static?
Yes.

And that is a serious answer. Kind of have free reign on this.

I'm leaning interactive, for in order for it to make an impression, a lasting one, it can't just be a place for someone to relax until the bus comes. There is a chance we would be commissioned to create more of these around the city if they are a success.

And realistically, the budget is more like 4000 dollars for material. The other 6 grand or so will be for any sub work needed, and payment to myself and my partner for design and build.

Whoa, that's awesome ####, moops. Did not realize this was a full on professional level gig.

PM on the way, as we could potentially use, or work with / in a city that could use these ideas in one of our projects (mixed-use development, urban nodes in close in suburbs, around transit).

:thumbup:

Whoa, that's awesome ####, moops. Did not realize this was a full on professional level gig.

PM on the way, as we could potentially use, or work with / in a city that could use these ideas in one of our projects (mixed-use development, urban nodes in close in suburbs, around transit).

:thumbup:
I teach and work in the shop at the U of M, but yea, the past couple years a majority of my time, and income, has been from commissioned public art or placemaking stuff.

Shelter as a public canvas?

Allow the passengers to express their own creativeness

I'm sure it would end up being mostly as boobs and #####..... But you may be surprised

Skee-Ball rocks!

We are working on an open streets event for our New Rochelle, NY project and love pop up ideas and activation of public spaces.

Disc golf is big in MN?

Put up a few baskets on each end of the bench. People can throw their Frisbee at the baskets. Extra points if you hit a guy sitting on the bench

If you are building an enclosure, you should for certain build a glory hole. Have it two sided with flag labeled doors to represent various immigrant communities (artistic political statement) that are frequent bus users, but who might not know what a glory hole is.

Even if you don't win, you will get a ton of publicity, and the vice cops will thank you because it will become a magnet for Minnesota pervs, so they can just sweep them off the streets all in the space of two weeks.

This is Nicollet Ave? I vote a toilet and a newspaper stand. That way I can read and take care of business while I wait for the bus.

maybe move the trash can to the other side of the bench since the can does not seem to be where people want to throw stuff away just thinking outside the can here brohan take that to the bank

They have identified 6 or 7 bus stops that are subpar in one way or another: unsafe, not enough lighting, lack of shelter or benches, long wait times, etc. I have been charged with remedying any number of these issues by designing and building something
Focus first on fixing these things and then make it look cool. Doesn't matter if Pablo Picasso paints the damn thing if it does not work.

Banksy, in NO:

banksy-gray-ghost-rain-girl.jpg

I think it did.  I remember seeing something set up for a while (couple days or a week maybe?).  I could see it from the Chipotle window across the street in the skyway.

Did this happen? I'd love to see what team Moops came up with. 
Finally happened. yesterday. Geez.

http://imgur.com/a/DQtqT

Who could imagine that getting commissioned by a business association, to build a shelter for metro transit, located on county land, with approval needed by the city council would take 9 months :)

This is what I ended up designing and building. A living, greenhouse, shelter with herbs and plants that people can take home on their bus ride. The downtown farmers market has been relocated to the site just behind here, so we tried to interact with that fact.

They paid us not nearly enough money, and it took too many redesigns, and new locations, but I am happy with how it turned out. Hopefully the people that are supposed to water it, do in fact water it, for it was like 4000 degrees here today. 

Next up - a fancy porta-potty screen enclosure! Whoop?

Users who are viewing this thread