What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Kansas City Chiefs Thread*** Andy Reid goes on Food Network, can't win turnover battle there either (3 Viewers)

bud29

Footballguy
We need one of these.

So pumped for the game this afternoon!

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel this is a Super Bowl caliber team. Maybe I'm crazy. Now that Smith actually has weapons worth throwing to on the outside and the D is healthy, they are very dangerous.

They have to beat Den this week, though. Simply have too.

Despite Thursday's loss being totally gut wrenching, I saw some positive things. Once Sean Smith gets back in week 4, this defense really doesn't have a weak link. The 'worst' defensive starter will be Josh Mauga, who is simply average - and at SILB, he only plays about 30% of the snaps.

James O'Shaughnessy was a pleasant surprise IMO. TE depth was a big question mark coming into the season, and Shag looked pretty good. Our OL was not great, hopefully it'll improve once Eric Fisher is healthy. The cutesy playcalling by Reid didn't do the OL any favors either.

If Sutton doesn't do something about the CB situation by next week, this highly talented team may be looking at a 1-2 start. If old man Manning could pick Fleming apart, what will Rodgers do? If Sutton absolutely has to start Fleming, I'd put him on James Jones the whole game - my guess is that he'll do better against a possession receiver like Jones than against a lightning rod like Sanders.

Looking for Chiefs fans take on their pass D so far, and what to expect going forward. Last year they were impressive vs. the pass. Seems like they are off to a bit of a rough start vs. the pass even though Peters has made some splash plays and they have Berry back. Any feeling if Rodgers will light them up Monday night or will they right the ship?

Looking for Chiefs fans take on their pass D so far, and what to expect going forward. Last year they were impressive vs. the pass. Seems like they are off to a bit of a rough start vs. the pass even though Peters has made some splash plays and they have Berry back. Any feeling if Rodgers will light them up Monday night or will they right the ship?
Sean Smith's 3-game suspension is hurting us very badly. Peters is playing extremely well, Gaines is doing a good job at nickel, our safety play has been solid, but Jamell Fleming (Smith's replacement) has been our achilles heel. If I recall correctly, Fleming gave up 120 yards last Thursday and the rest of the secondary gave up 130. He's been awful. I fully expect Rodgers to light him up, but I think this will be a top unit again once Smith gets back week 4.

Fleming can't deal with the top end receivers like D. Thomas and Sanders. Manning went to that well time after time last week. He's been serviceable in the past, so perhaps he doesn't get toasted as badly against Adams and Jones. But I suspect Rodgers will go after him. Getting Sean Smith back will be really big and should solidify things on the back end. The key to the pass D this week will be the pass rush, and can they contain the number of times Rodgers gets out of the pocket with time to make a big play down the field.

With Brees nicked I'm taking a shot with Alex Smith. Call me crazy, fully aware of no TD's to WR's since Hector was a pup, but thinking with their rest, GB coming off a max effort game vs. Seattle, and likelihood GB scoring a lot of points I'm hoping Smith has to throw a lot. Really hoping for a Maclin/Kelce show, and wouldn't mind some long screens to Charles as well.

Another big one tonight, hopefully it won't end as badly as the Denver game. I think these are KC's keys to beating GB:

Interior Pass Rush - It's a given that the KC edge rushers will wreak some havoc, but Rodgers can make plays on his feet. To really be successful, the whole pocket will have to collapse - Poe, Howard, and Bailey have their work cut out for them.

Secondary Matchups - Sean Smith is still suspended and there have been no indications that Jamell Fleming will be benched. Fortunately, I think Fleming (and Peters) match up better against the GB WRs than Denver's. Neither Fleming nor Peters are quick-twitch speedster CBs. Guys like Sanders and Thomas really gave them hell last week - Jones and Adams should be easier assignments. I think Phillip Gaines needs to stick on Cobb all night, he's our one CB who won't be a liability when Rodgers tries to go deep.

Pass Protection - After facing Jadeveon Clowney, JJ Watt, DeMarcus Ware, and Von Miller in weeks 1 and 2, the Green Bay pass rush doesn't seem so bad. Eric Fisher is finally back from a nasty high ankle sprain, but I doubt he's 100%. Reid has schemed over quite a few pass pro deficiencies these last couple games, but the OL simply crumbled on some drives against Denver. That can't happen tomorrow, when we need to use up as much clock as possible. Bringing me to my last point....

Ball Control - This is probably the biggest one - we simply need to keep the ball away from Rodgers. No matter what we do defensively, he'll find a way around it eventually. If there was any game for Charles to get 30 touches, this would be it.

Another big one tonight, hopefully it won't end as badly as the Denver game. I think these are KC's keys to beating GB:

Interior Pass Rush - It's a given that the KC edge rushers will wreak some havoc, but Rodgers can make plays on his feet. To really be successful, the whole pocket will have to collapse - Poe, Howard, and Bailey have their work cut out for them. 0 sacks by interior DL

Secondary Matchups - Sean Smith is still suspended and there have been no indications that Jamell Fleming will be benched. Fortunately, I think Fleming (and Peters) match up better against the GB WRs than Denver's. Neither Fleming nor Peters are quick-twitch speedster CBs. Guys like Sanders and Thomas really gave them hell last week - Jones and Adams should be easier assignments. I think Phillip Gaines needs to stick on Cobb all night, he's our one CB who won't be a liability when Rodgers tries to go deep. Gaines hurt early on, leaving our backup SS to play CB and cover Randall Cobb. Marcus Cooper played our #3 CB role instead of Jamell Fleming, but wasn't any better.

Pass Protection - After facing Jadeveon Clowney, JJ Watt, DeMarcus Ware, and Von Miller in weeks 1 and 2, the Green Bay pass rush doesn't seem so bad. Eric Fisher is finally back from a nasty high ankle sprain, but I doubt he's 100%. Reid has schemed over quite a few pass pro deficiencies these last couple games, but the OL simply crumbled on some drives against Denver. That can't happen tomorrow, when we need to use up as much clock as possible. Bringing me to my last point.... Gave up 7 sacks and many more pressures.

Ball Control - This is probably the biggest one - we simply need to keep the ball away from Rodgers. No matter what we do defensively, he'll find a way around it eventually. If there was any game for Charles to get 30 touches, this would be it. Time of possession: GB 33:30, KC 26:30. Jamaal Charles 16 touches for 82 total yards.
Results from these key areas...

MRI results came in a few days ago, CB Phillip Gaines is out for the year with a torn ACL.

Game against Cincinnati today - going to be interesting. We do get Sean Smith back, but with the loss of Gaines, we're still going to be subjected to the awfulness of one of our backups. 3rd round pick Steven Nelson has been a healthy scratch for the first 3 games, I'd like to see him active and thrown into the mix. He won't be any better than Cooper or Fleming right now, but he's still our nickel CB of the future so I'd like to expedite his development if we can.

Albert Wilson suffered a shoulder injury against GB, and while he's not ruled out, it's still possible that Chris Conley takes some of his snaps again this game.

Oh, and except for the SB Nation Chiefs blog, nobody is picking the Bengals to lose.

Was just looking at the Chiefs schedule. They have a great shot at the playoffs assuming they keep winning the TO battle. In their 5 wins the Chiefs have 14 takeaways and 0 giveaways.

AFC playoff picture right now:

1. Pats (10-0)

2. Bengals (8-2)

3. Broncos (8-2)

4. Colts (5-5)

-----------------------

5. Steelers (6-4) - beaten by KC h2h

6. Chiefs (5-5)

-----------------------

7. Texans (5-5) - beaten by KC h2h

8. Bills (5-5)

9. Jets (5-5)

Are there any Chiefs fans on this board?  I would like to know more about your defense.  Could this unit turn into a formidable one this year?

Gregg Rosenthal‏Verified account @greggrosenthal

Chiefs announce GM John Dorsey and the team are parting ways.

A little surprising, to be honest. I wouldn't say he was the best cap manager, over the years, but the talent he brought in was undeniable. I'll be curious to see who they bring in.

Gregg Rosenthal‏Verified account @greggrosenthal

Chiefs announce GM John Dorsey and the team are parting ways.

A little surprising, to be honest. I wouldn't say he was the best cap manager, over the years, but the talent he brought in was undeniable. I'll be curious to see who they bring in.
That is interesting. From an outside perspective it seems like they are one of the more successful teams building from the draft.

The Chiefs apparently have a Shark Pool fanbase to rival the Cardinals...22 posts in nearly 2 years.

Surprising move, but it looks like Andy Reid has consolidated power in KC, which implies there was internal conflict we never heard about on the outside.  Makes me wonder whether Mahomes was an Andy pick or a Dorsey pick...

Sounds like Reid knew nothing about the Maclin thing and Maclin was his boy and he got pissed so probably a him or me moment in KC.  The Hunts decided it was time to move on from Dorsey cause KC doesn't want to have the rep of treating players badly (Maclin and Charles to a certain extent). Either way, time to move forward and outside of Maclin there hasn't been much change to this team on the field from last year except for probably actually getting a little better with the addition of Kareem Hunt and Mahomes and some additions to the D. 

The Chiefs apparently have a Shark Pool fanbase to rival the Cardinals...22 posts in nearly 2 years.

Surprising move, but it looks like Andy Reid has consolidated power in KC, which implies there was internal conflict we never heard about on the outside.  Makes me wonder whether Mahomes was an Andy pick or a Dorsey pick...
gotta say that this did not seem to work out well when it happened in Philadelphia.

That is interesting. From an outside perspective it seems like they are one of the more successful teams building from the draft.
I actually don't know that Dorsey's drafts were all that great, looking at them now.  I think a lot of that talent was from before his tenure, though I certainly cannot speak to KC's depth and role players.  On the surface, it doesn't look all that great.

Sounds like Reid knew nothing about the Maclin thing and Maclin was his boy and he got pissed so probably a him or me moment in KC.  The Hunts decided it was time to move on from Dorsey cause KC doesn't want to have the rep of treating players badly (Maclin and Charles to a certain extent). Either way, time to move forward and outside of Maclin there hasn't been much change to this team on the field from last year except for probably actually getting a little better with the addition of Kareem Hunt and Mahomes and some additions to the D. 
It's certainly possible for Mahomes to be a great pick but he seems unlikely to help on the field much this year.  Imo they would have been better off for 17 by staying where they were and taking foster.  Play next to DJ this year, take over the lead role in 18.

@SaintsInDome2006 asked about the Dorsey firing in the game thread, and I figured I'd try to give this thread some more juice and reply here.

Admittedly, I haven't been as tuned-in to KC affairs as I have been in seasons past, but the whole thing really stinks to me. The best they could really come up with were some minor quibbles about his management style, and taking too long to extend Houston and Berry. Dorsey did some really solid work on the roster, and now to let him go and say that Veach (close with Reid) was actually the guy behind it all? I dunno. Looking back at Dorsey's drafts:

Dee Ford, Rd 1 - Flawed starter but put together a double-digit sack season last year

Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, Rd 6 - Starter, raw OL project that actually panned out really well - signed big extension

Marcus Peters, Rd 1 - Pro bowler, total stud

Mitch Morse, Rd 2 - Plus starter from day 1

Chris Conley, Rd 3 - Starter

Steven Nelson, Rd 3 - Starting Nickel CB

Ramik Wilson, Rd 4 - Starter

DJ Alexander, Rd 5 - Pro bowl special teamer

Rakeem Nunez-Roches, Rd 6 - quality DL rotation player

Chris Jones, Rd 2 - Starter, and almost certainly a future pro bowler. Keep an eye on this guy.

Parker Ehinger, Rd 4 - Day 1 starter and huge plus in the run game

Eric Murray, Rd 4 - Pro bowl special teamer

Tyreek Hill, Rd 5 - You may have heard of him

Patrick Mahomes, Rd 1 - Obviously unproven, and kinda silly to be reviewing this draft class already, but he sure looks like the real deal

Kareem Hunt, Rd 3 - Seems like a hit

*Outside* of all the success in the draft, he brought in plus starters off the street like Ron Parker and Terrance Mitchell. He was able to nab some big-name free agents in key areas of need like Maclin and Mitch Schwartz. Other teams would kill for the kind of personnel success KC has had these last few years. To be fair to Veach, he was drawing rave reviews long before he unseated Dorsey - but it really seems like they were trying to fix something that wasn't broken. I guess we'll see.

In more recent news, the Berry injury is devastating. Even if it's a partial tear I doubt he's able to come back this year - I remember Terrell Suggs having an incredibly quick achilles rehab, but even on the Suggs timeline, Berry wouldn't return before the Super Bowl. One of the most important players on the team by far, this certainly dampens any Super Bowl talks that this game may have started.

I think they kinda replace him by committee - Daniel Sorensen played some LB last year and I imagine he'll help more in run support while Eric Murray will take on more coverage duties. 

good thing you fired the gm that drafted hill, hunt, berry and the rest of the team
:lol: you come in here after the team beats the SB favorites on the road as an 8pt underdog to throw poo at the walls. People must really miss you when you aren't around. 

Interesting SI piece on the Dorsey firing.

- It sounds like he was operating without communicating with Hunt or other management.

- Maybe the way the Maclin release went down was the final straw, not in terms of the decision but as to how it was handled.

I have to say, even if you're brilliant and do a great, valuable job and service to a company, if you don't make ownership feel respected and in the loop they don't like it.

Just about the personnel decisions raised in the article - Fisher has been a disappointment at LT but a solid right tackle ain't bad, nor is having a reliable guard in Duvernay. And honestly Hogan doesn't seem that bad in Cleveland from what I've seen, I'm not really sure that Bray is better, and it was a 5th round pick. And Houston wasn't exactly worth it for Chicago. If those are the personnel decisions which are raised against him, then yeah it was almost certainly Dorsey's way of running things which grated ownership, that's pretty much it.

Last edited by a moderator:
SaintsInDome2006 said:
This may be the most unloved team thread.

News alert: the Chiefs are in the driver's seat for the Super Bowl out the gate.
I was thinking the same thing.  Lots of room in this bandwagon.

Just about the personnel decisions raised in the article - Fisher has been a disappointment at LT but a solid right tackle ain't bad, nor is having a reliable guard in Duvernay. And honestly Hogan doesn't seem that bad in Cleveland from what I've seen, I'm not really sure that Bray is better, and it was a 5th round pick. And Houston wasn't exactly worth it for Chicago. If those are the personnel decisions which are raised against him, then yeah it was almost certainly Dorsey's way of running things which grated ownership, that's pretty much it.
For the record, Fisher still plays LT and although he hasn't been a Joe Thomas or anything like that, he's quietly starting to become one of the better LTs in the league. Very, very, very good run blocker.

Chiefs OL is pretty interesting.

LT Fisher

LG Witzmann, a scrap-head gem 

RG LDT, a French-Canadian Doctor Genius

RT Schwartz, probably the best RT in the league, thanks Cleveland

KC is going to be fun to watch this year with Hunt and Hill. Hope Alex keeps throwing downfield. Impressive offensive group. One game, but didn't seems flukish. 

as a KC fan....I want to get really excited but I just wonder what this game looks like if Gronk hangs on to that ball or they convert that first 4th down.....?

don't get me wrong, lots of positives to take away....but just unusual to see NE not put their foot on somebody's throat when they have a chance and I just wonder if KC would have had the same mojo and been able to recover from being down 14-0.....as much as KC "took it to them" I feel like there was some of that but also some of it just being a very unusual performance from NE.....not sure why I feel that way, but it just seemed a little weird and hard to buy in that KC is really that good.....

I hope they are....

as a KC fan....I want to get really excited but I just wonder what this game looks like if Gronk hangs on to that ball or they convert that first 4th down.....?

don't get me wrong, lots of positives to take away....but just unusual to see NE not put their foot on somebody's throat when they have a chance and I just wonder if KC would have had the same mojo and been able to recover from being down 14-0.....as much as KC "took it to them" I feel like there was some of that but also some of it just being a very unusual performance from NE.....not sure why I feel that way, but it just seemed a little weird and hard to buy in that KC is really that good.....

I hope they are....
I was surprised that NE went away from what was working early.  They were using White and Burkhead on early downs, giving them another receiving option.  Then Gilleslee is the primary back and they are trying to force the run.  Not their game. 

If Smith continues to look for the downfield throws, the KC offense will be explosive.  Opens up the running lanes and all kinds of possibilities.............

I'd agree - and as Jacket pointed out, Fisher has (finally) come around to be a good LT. Not the kind of all-pro you'd expect from a guy taken at 1.01, but the pick looks even better when you look at the next two guys, Luke Joeckel and Dion Jordan, who were complete busts. 

A couple other personnel black marks for Dorsey could be the Keivarae Russell pick, a 3rd round selection in 2016 who was cut before that season even started, and David Irving, a UDFA gem who got put on the practice squad and was snatched by the Cowboys (now a really solid DE, albeit a suspended one for now). Still, none of that comes close to justify a firing when you consider Dorsey's successes. Let's hope Veach played a huge role in the last few years like everyone says he did.

The Berry injury got me thinking about that. If he's not there to stuff that 4th down play, who knows how the game would've unfolded. We might still be talking about the Pats' inevitable 19-0 season today.

You have no idea how deep I had to look to find this thread to add it to the Player and Team Index.  Second best record in the NFL and no posts since the start of the season? 

Do we no longer have Chiefs fans on the board?

Users who are viewing this thread