What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Kansas City Chiefs Thread*** Andy Reid goes on Food Network, can't win turnover battle there either (1 Viewer)

Media and critics are really high on pointing out:

Chiefs playoff record

Chiefs home playoff record

Chiefs playoff history vs Indy

Andy Reid playoff record

What I haven't seen is anyone talking about Andy Reid coached teams record after the bye.

So the question is: which historical data do you think is most useful in predicting the outcome of this game?

Half of me says it is a huge advantage having Reid coming off the bye with a career record of 17-3 (I think?)

The other half says the most important factor is that Andy Reid has a poor playoff record of 11-13 (1-4 with KC)

The rest is irrelevant IMO.
To the bolded, his last playoff bye was 2016.  Chiefs lost to the Steelers.  Other than that, the only other playoff byes are during his prime early years with the Eagles, where he was 4-0.

I think it's a little different here since he didn't know who they were playing until Saturday night.. But I sort of agree with you on this..

To the bolded, his last playoff bye was 2016.  Chiefs lost to the Steelers.  Other than that, the only other playoff byes are during his prime early years with the Eagles, where he was 4-0.
I am not sure if you are making a positive predictor for KC or negative. 4-1 in the playoffs after the bye seems like a pretty decent sample size and a positive 80% win rate.

I am not sure if you are making a positive predictor for KC or negative. 4-1 in the playoffs after the bye seems like a pretty decent sample size and a positive 80% win rate.
Looks like he's 3-1 after a bye with the 3 (post-bye) wins being '02, '03, '04. Reid's most successful years were 2000-2004 where he won 7 of his career 11 playoff wins.  Since '04, he's had one bye, 2016, and lost.

Andy Reid's coaching record per PFR.

ETA:  If you look at his career up to 2009, he had 10 of his 11 post-season wins.  Defensive Coordinator Jim Johnson died in '09.  So AR has had 1 playoff win in his career without JJ as DC over 9 seasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I love me some Reid but he sucks in the playoffs without a good def.  No way Kansas City makes the super bowl. 

And I'm rooting for them and hope I'm wrong

Football is funny sometimes. I very much think the 2018 Chiefs were better than the 2019 Chiefs, yet the 2019 team wins the Super Bowl. Anyway, congrats to Andy Reid and the Chiefs. 

Football is funny sometimes. I very much think the 2018 Chiefs were better than the 2019 Chiefs, yet the 2019 team wins the Super Bowl. Anyway, congrats to Andy Reid and the Chiefs. 
That happens in a bunch of sports. I always thought the 2003 Red Sox were better than the 2004 version, but to no avail. Apparently sometimes teams see what they need, and even if it may not look as disproportionately dominant as the prior year's iteration, it's a better one. 

If the coin flip goes the other way in OT in 2018, The Chiefs probably win the Super Bowl last year as well.

I am very happy for Reid, the Kelce brothers, and the Chiefs fans. I am an Eagles fan and went to the Eagles/Chiefs game in 2017 in KC. Had a great time even though the Eagles lost a close game. Little did I know at the time I was watching 2 of the next 3 Super Bowl Champions.

the chiefs Def from Oct to the superbowl was an ever improving unit.....

Pats got lucky and won the toss in OT, plus the Dee Ford offsides.....

and you can bet that if Brady is back, the season opener will be KC vs NEpats on Thursday night

I don't like overconfidence and try my best to avoid it with pessimism

I was 50-50 prediction wise going into the Titans game and really thought the 49ers were going to beat us

Two years ago I expected us to lose to the Colts in the divisional round and the Patriots in the AFC Championship

But now:

I honestly believe we are repeating if the season is played. Even if we get a 2 or 3 seed: until Lamar, Josh Allen and Tannehill prove it in the playoffs I am not scared of going to Baltimore, Buffalo, Nashville, etc--even in a night game for the AFC Championship (though Buffalo on a late January night might be a little tough)

The scariest team would be SF up front because run D is still a weakness and they have a defense with the front 7 to rattle Mahomes and still cover somewhat decently on the back end. Ravens don't have the front 7 and need to blitz too often for pressure--it's why they couldn't beat KC the last two years

Teams like the Ravens, Bills, Titans, Colts and even Broncos depending on if Lock improves or Steelers if Ben is back to 2017 and 2018 form can also be a threat more so because a run game keeping Mahomes off the field is the way to win and TB, Dallas, New Orleans are talented threats on paper as well but I honestly think Mahomes would slice up any of their secondaries and that none of those offenses can keep up in a shootout besides maybe TB if everything clicks

Overall I frankly feel some kind of confidence that I haven't with any of my sports teams since at least the Royals in 2015--maybe the Thunder in 2012.

In two years we have not lost a single game by more than 7 points and never have I felt we are out.

I genuinely think we are the best team and on the way to a repeat--not to sound cocky, delusional or trash talking--there are some great teams in the NFL and I have always doubted my team in comparison to them

No longer...not sure if fans of other teams had similar swings after winning it all

so I posted below in the Raider thread just cause their aren't that many Chiefs fans that frequent this board....since then locking up Kelce.....Chiefs seem be ahead of the curve here a little.....should be fun...

"after seeing KC lock down what looks to be a generational talent at QB for the next 10-12 years......and then sign their best defensive player for at least the next 4.....for pretty massive contracts....the easy and somewhat lazy narrative from the rest of the league and especially the division rivals....is that "well it will catch up to them down the road and they won't be able to keep and/or bring in other good players".....so the team will suck in a few years, because you know, they can't afford to pay everybody right?....however indications are that that exact thought process was factored into Mahomes deal in particular to make sure that would not be the case....it appears KC may be a little ahead of the curve here and the key player, coaches, and front office are on the same page and working together....I have a feeling that many will be disappointed if they think KC is just being selfish in the short term and not looking to be able to sustain long term success....this team continues to draft pretty well, makes significant timely FA signings (Dwilly, Badger, Watkins, and Clark (trade) recently) has a great group of coaches (even tho many have left recently for head coaching gigs), has a solid front office, GM and ownership....their "eventual demise" may be more of a hope than a reality.....and hope is not a very good strategy....this team has been dominating the west since Manning left (albeit with little playoff success until recently).....it hasn't been all about Mahomes.....they have kind of been doing things the right way for several years now.....not sure they are all of a sudden not going to know what the hell they are doing....

Wow, this thread isn’t exactly hoppin. No chiefs fans in the Shark Tank? 
Yeah, there aren't too many of us around here. 

As for the Chiefs, they are a mess for a lot of reasons. These are just my opinions so take that for what it's worth:

1. Their offensive line is young. It's going to take some time for them to develop a chemistry, especially with 5 new starters which include three rookies.

2. Andy Reid is doing them zero favors in my opinion.  It looks to me he is trying to run a normal offense, but the way teams are playing with the two deep safeties he hasn't adjusted enough to compensate for that.  They have had some success in running the ball, and this past week he ran it more, but they offense is just not in sync. 

3. Mahomes is still not trusting this offensive line. He's still afraid to step up into the pocket. He is so guilty of trying to pull off the big play that he's not willing to take check downs.  But they have had to keep an RB in to help block, so sometimes that check down isn't even available. In the meantime Reid still is calling a lot of downfield routes instead of getting creative with crossing routes and screens.

4. The lack of another wide receiver to take pressure off of Hill and Kelce is a major problem.

5. Defenses have figured out the Chiefs offense. They are only rushing 4 and playing zone everywhere. This is the Chiefs kryptonite and it's been 4 games in a row the Chiefs have seen this.

6. Despite all that mess, they have scored over 34 points twice and then 24 yesterday despite turning the ball over 4 times.  Which leads to:

7. The defense. Oh my what a mess this is:

a. You move your All-Pro Defensive Tackle in Chris Jones to defensive end. Why?

b. Because your GM wasted a ton of money and draft capital on Frank Clark who is a big turd.

c. Your GM trades valuable draft capital every year to trade up to pick guys in later rounds. Why would you do this?

d. Our GM has really had some poor drafts overall since he became the GM. He hasn't really addressed the wide receiver position, and we have no depth on defense. 

8. I think we are seeing breaks starting to even out. Mahomes has had this magic touch the first 4 years of his career. It always seemed he was able to pull out ANYTHING even when the team played like crap. Well, they have had these types of games for the last 4 years. Maybe this is the year all those lucky breaks start to even out.

9. I have a hunch this Britt Reid thing is still casting a major shadow over Andy Reid, which is understandable. Andy just doesn't look the same to me ever since that happened. There is a weird mojo hanging over this organization right now. As there should be coming off that terrible accident for that poor girl.

I thought that Ravens loss would wake this team up. And to be honest, the Chiefs were moving the ball all over the place yesterday. 3 straight turnovers is a killer for any team to overcome. And the Chiefs were still in it at the end.

But they have a mess on their hands for sure.

great post ChiefD....this team is still very good....they have some issues, but not sure I'd call it a mess....does it look and feel a little different....?....yes but also no in some ways....they keep doing Chief things and think they can overcome any deficit....and they usually do, but its not always sustainable....to be honest, they were in perfect position to win the BAL game...I mean it was playing out perfectly....I had it pretty much chalked up as a dub as they were driving....I think 99% of the country felt the same way...4 turnovers against a good team is hard to overcome, but they still had a chance....Mahomes got too cute and was feeling himself a little too much on the unnecessary no look pass that ended up being behind a wide open receiver and caused the pick....can't beat yourself and turn it over....and Bosa just destroyed Niang yesterday...glad to see them get a couple wake up calls.....and the defense is still a concern.....played three really good teams and the schedule doesn't have many layups moving forward....but they gonna be alright....glad to see them committing to CEH even after the fumbles....

Chiefs were 3-4 and now are 10-4 and at least for a couple days, are holding the 1 seed in the AFC again

That was a massive win right there at LAC

not a ton of KC fans on this board....so not much action, but whatever haters in other threads (raiders,lol)  are tucking tail....or or at least not doing ill advised victory laps or logo jumps on the Chiefs grave....even had some of our own like @ChiefD doubting....lol....

this is a good team, focused and well coached, and a SB threat....(had the @Bal game all but locked up or their distance from the rest would be even further)...(CEH fumble in FG range)....

people overreacted to the early turnovers  (through WR's hands mostly or Hardman being a dumb #### fumbles, etc)....did Mahomes have a couple bonehead int's ...yes...but this offensive line has come together at the right time and Spags has the defense balling.....Ingram was a great signing, Jones back inside.....LB ballin...bye week came at a good time and now they coming off a mini bye....it was tough the first half of the season.... no doubt.....but in your  heart of hearts, even those that hated the Chiefs the most..... and gloated in their struggles (you know you are) knew that it wasn't going to last and they were still "the team to beat"....no fan of any team would want to see KC at any point....

the narrative is to usually not talk smack or whatever....but I think any AFC team knew they were still going to have to deal with this team....no matter how bad of a start it seemed....those that buried them and thought "the league had figured them out"....are fading away.....they have some warts no doubt....but you gonna have to bring it and have some of those early season "mistakes" come back to beat them..... IMO....

not a ton of KC fans on this board....so not much action, but whatever haters in other threads (raiders,lol)  are tucking tail....or or at least not doing ill advised victory laps or logo jumps on the Chiefs grave....even had some of our own like @ChiefD doubting....lol....

this is a good team, focused and well coached, and a SB threat....(had the @Bal game all but locked up or their distance from the rest would be even further)...(CEH fumble in FG range)....

people overreacted to the early turnovers  (through WR's hands mostly or Hardman being a dumb #### fumbles, etc)....did Mahomes have a couple bonehead int's ...yes...but this offensive line has come together at the right time and Spags has the defense balling.....Ingram was a great signing, Jones back inside.....LB ballin...bye week came at a good time and now they coming off a mini bye....it was tough the first half of the season.... no doubt.....but in your  heart of hearts, even those that hated the Chiefs the most..... and gloated in their struggles (you know you are) knew that it wasn't going to last and they were still "the team to beat"....no fan of any team would want to see KC at any point....

the narrative is to usually not talk smack or whatever....but I think any AFC team knew they were still going to have to deal with this team....no matter how bad of a start it seemed....those that buried them and thought "the league had figured them out"....are fading away.....they have some warts no doubt....but you gonna have to bring it and have some of those early season "mistakes" come back to beat them..... IMO....
Can't disagree with any of this.

They looked rough that first 3rd of the year, but they have put it together. Experience pays off.

I still want to see Mahomes put together a full game of good offense. If the offense really figures this out they will be dangerous. 

They’re proving recently that if they they’re healthy and play to their capabilities, they are the best team in the nfl period. Whether they can lock up the 1 seed and then do that for 3 straight games is obviously the true question. Should be fun to find out. 

6th straight AFC West Championship 

eyeing the 1 seed to make the AFC go through KC for the 4th straight year

need to be at full strength at Cincy next week as that is a tough team

Game day. This has the makings of a long term rivalry with the Bills. They are a worthy opponent. Spread down to -1.5 as odds are these teams are evenly matched. Should be exciting to watch to see how both these teams execute and adjust. Hopefully we get the hard earned win but no shame losing to Buffalo if not. Potential for hosting 4 straight AFCCG on the line as no team in NFL history has done that. 

IHEARTFF said:
Game day. This has the makings of a long term rivalry with the Bills. They are a worthy opponent. Spread down to -1.5 as odds are these teams are evenly matched. Should be exciting to watch to see how both these teams execute and adjust. Hopefully we get the hard earned win but no shame losing to Buffalo if not. Potential for hosting 4 straight AFCCG on the line as no team in NFL history has done that. 
All of this.

Would love for Mahomes to win this game and go on and win another Super Bowl with this group of players.

Because it’s gonna start changing pretty quick with his cap number going up. The Chiefs should have all the motivation they need with the way Buffalo rolled em earlier. 

All of this.

Would love for Mahomes to win this game and go on and win another Super Bowl with this group of players.

Because it’s gonna start changing pretty quick with his cap number going up. The Chiefs should have all the motivation they need with the way Buffalo rolled em earlier. 

That’s for sure. No telling how many more shots with Jones/Kelce/Matthieu exist. Would be really special to see all of them get another ring. 

I posted this in the LA/Bucs thread but it belongs here. Buffalo and Kansas City are the two best teams left, IMO. Buffalo especially. Everybody is missing somebody at this point of the season, it seems. But that's the game today to watch. Those two teams. 

Rams and TB are really good, too. Just Buf/KC is a better game, even if it winds up not that close. It's the crown jewel of the weekend. 

This will be an interesting year in that division. It is not out of the realm of possibilities that the Chiefs finish at the bottom. They have lost some names on defense and still seem need that missing piece on offense. I cannot imagine that they are going to sit tight while the rest of the division has the pedal to the metal. Whether it is trading for DK, signing JuJu or Landry…I am curious to see what they end up doing. I doubt this is a consideration but Kareem Hunt was a great fit in that offense and probably could be had for a reasonable cost. They will need to bolster both sides of the ball to continue their dominance in that division.

Very interesting chart.

----------------------------------

Timo Riske@PFF_Moo

Is Brett Veach's (Chiefs college personnel analyst, director of personnel, GM since 2013) secret super power evaluating offensive linemen?

>>>  LINK to chart 📊

KC has the hardest schedule in the NFL this year....I think there are going to be some great games almost every week....not sure they have the pieces in place to win some of them they may have won before.....after losing Hill, the draft and any last minute FA acquisitions will go a long way in determining how the season will go....Andy is going to earn his money this year....

I am in love with the draft class on paper here. Veach is ridiculous. 
tremendous draft....and some sneaky pick ups post draft in Ross at WR...and then giving up a 7th in 2024 to HOU for Lonnie Johnson a former second round CB....like throwing the UFA tag on Ingram and can hopefully bring him back....

loaded up on defense and with Ju Ju, MVS, and now Skyy Moore...can maybe stay afloat at WR.....will need every bit of it with the toughest/most brutal schedule you can imagine in 2022.....let's go....

tremendous draft....and some sneaky pick ups post draft in Ross at WR...and then giving up a 7th in 2024 to HOU for Lonnie Johnson a former second round CB....like throwing the UFA tag on Ingram and can hopefully bring him back....

loaded up on defense and with Ju Ju, MVS, and now Skyy Moore...can maybe stay afloat at WR.....will need every bit of it with the toughest/most brutal schedule you can imagine in 2022.....let's go....
Yes, pretty exciting time. Yeah schedule is so hard it’s almost funny.  If WRs can be successful committee, it really bodes well for the next phase of the Mahomes era. 

Users who are viewing this thread