What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are ravens and broncos as bad as they seem? (1 Viewer)

Excited to get the Broncos at Arrowhead on a short week. They looked bad compared to the Chiefs and looked a little roughed up.

My Broncos D/ST got me 21 yesterday :shrug:
I only wound up with sixteen.

This is the smart play. Let's hope Peyton doesn't submarine it.

I only half-kid about it.

eta* Seriously, as far as the Ravens go, I have Steve Smith. Let's hope Steve Smith Sr. does a Steve Smith Sr. thing and go out in a blaze of ejectional glory. If I were scouring the waivers, I might look at Marlon Brown. Seemed to be Flacco's first look when he was down.

Last edited by a moderator:
ATSS_0100 said:
Phenomena said:
mbuehner said:
No. Its week 1.
Manning is done. He looked atrocious. Every team with a top 20 defense has the personnel to exploit him. Load up the box and make them throw outside the numbers.
I agree. Terrible offense by both sides. Not like either team has a top 5 defense
I think Manning missed Sanders on at least three deep passes in the end zone...so frustrating

That was a very ugly game, I really thought Manning was going to be "fine" wants the season started, but he looked awful. The fact that he refuses to take a hit makes it worse, he seems afraid to stand tall in the pocket when he gets pressure, but rather just falls down into a fetal position. Denver has a really good defense and I wonder how long they will let that go on before making a move, if he doesn't show some improvement.

Raven D is still pretty solid and matched up well vs Den. Denver D got a lot of pressure on Flacco. Some missed throws occurred and definite week 1 "players aren't yet in football shape" due to lack of preseason reps. I'd figure both teams will still be 9+ wins. Biggest worry I'd have is for Bal as they lost Suggs for the season which will take a good bite out of their aggressive defensive style.

The Ravens are in trouble for sure. They lost Suggs for the year and their offense just lacks okay makers. The WR were pretty awful. Yes, Den has a good D.

Den is the better team, but they are going to be in a dog fight with that division. Both KC and SD looked very good. Peyton looked old and like Father Time finally caught up their oline looked suspect as well.

Yeah, I'd be concerned for both teams.

Flacco being Flacco. He's not good and he has really bad players at the skill positions. They are lucky they still have a D to keep them winning games vs inferior teams but they are working their way down to the Browns level.

Manning has a noodle for an arm and can't feel his hands. His OL is not good. He's pretty much an idiot for even being on a football field taking shots at his age with a repaired neck. There's a pretty good chance his career ends with him getting carted off the field on a stretcher.

Phenomena said:
mbuehner said:
No. Its week 1.
Manning is done. He looked atrocious. Every team with a top 20 defense has the personnel to exploit him. Load up the box and make them throw outside the numbers.
Manning threw some long throws to Sanders, but they were mainly overthrown. He had to get the ball off fast, because defenders were in his face a lot. The Bronco offense is also still learning a new offensive scheme, and the Ravens D isn't exactly an easy one to kick off the season against. This game was more of a defensive battle than an offensive fireworks show. I think it's a bit early to be sticking a fork in Manning.

ATSS_0100 said:
Phenomena said:
mbuehner said:
No. Its week 1.
I agree. Terrible offense by both sides. Not like either team has a top 5 defense
I think Manning missed Sanders on at least three deep passes in the end zone...so frustrating
Basically more of what we saw last year.

Who knew Peyton would be negative for a receiver?

Flacco being Flacco. He's not good and he has really bad players at the skill positions. They are lucky they still have a D to keep them winning games vs inferior teams but they are working their way down to the Browns level.

Manning has a noodle for an arm and can't feel his hands. His OL is not good. He's pretty much an idiot for even being on a football field taking shots at his age with a repaired neck. There's a pretty good chance his career ends with him getting carted off the field on a stretcher.
Yea, Flacco's getting hit every play, has basically no running game or WRs and still was a dropped pass from winning it at the end. And a good receiver goes up and makes that play in the endzone or at least prevents the int. Both teams Ds played very well and were getting a ton of pressure. If Perriman ever comes back the Ravens will look entirely different on offense. They literally have no receiver or TE who even makes the other team a little nervous.

ATSS_0100 said:
Phenomena said:
mbuehner said:
No. Its week 1.
Basically more of what we saw last year.

Who knew Peyton would be negative for a receiver?
I had Sanders last year and while he was phenomenal, I remember many times he was wide open and was missed for TDs. Looked the same yesterday.

Had to cringe watching Forsett in that game. He barely took the handoff before there were 3 Broncos on him.

ATSS_0100 said:
Phenomena said:
mbuehner said:
No. Its week 1.
I think Denver absolutely has a top-5 defense. Probably the 2nd best in the AFC after Buffalo.

Had to cringe watching Forsett in that game. He barely took the handoff before there were 3 Broncos on him.
I thought BAL had a top-5 offensive line? Were they stacking the box with 9 guys or what? I mean I know BAL has no receivers but he still should have had some success.

I thought BAL had a top-5 offensive line? Were they stacking the box with 9 guys or what? I mean I know BAL has no receivers but he still should have had some success.
That's the problem. Steve Smith is still a good WR, but there are no other credible threats. I'd sink everything into stopping the run and pressure and feel that any secondary should do OK against their WRs and rookie TEs.

One game, so too early to make global judgments. That said, Manning's production does feed into the pre-written story line for 39 year old Q.B.'s with bad necks, inexperienced lines, aging arms, and no feel in their fingertips. Viewed as one game, learning a new offense, its no big deal. Viewed as a continuation of this last 5 or 6 games last year and it seems like a pattern of marked deterioration, of falling off a cliff. A few more like this and we will have to wonder if he is sticking around simply to chasse Favre's records.

the difficult thing is, with such a fast turn around to Thursday night's game I don't think another bad performance really offers much enlightenment one way or the other. A bad game there would be understandable. We probably have to wait until after weeks three or four to have any real insight on him. right now what we have are hunches and history. Father time being undefeated and all that.

Yea, Flacco's getting hit every play, has basically no running game or WRs and still was a dropped pass from winning it at the end. And a good receiver goes up and makes that play in the endzone or at least prevents the int. Both teams Ds played very well and were getting a ton of pressure. If Perriman ever comes back the Ravens will look entirely different on offense. They literally have no receiver or TE who even makes the other team a little nervous.
<<shudder>> just like T. Smith in the playoff game last year vs Pats. argh! I agree a good player makes that play yesterday, but I also thought it was a close PI as the defender facing him had his back to play the whole time. But alas, Joe forcing to players who can't make the play.

Joe hasn't had anything consistent to throw to since Boldin, T. Smith (somewhat) and Pita. Seems like a lot to put on a rookie in Perriman -- Hopefully TE Williams learns quick, otherwise this team to me looks no better than last year and now we don't have Suggs. I actually thought the defense played well yesterday, but also agree Manning looked bad. Hillman saved the day for the Broncos IMO.

<<shudder>> just like T. Smith in the playoff game last year vs Pats. argh! I agree a good player makes that play yesterday, but I also thought it was a close PI as the defender facing him had his back to play the whole time. But alas, Joe forcing to players who can't make the play.

Joe hasn't had anything consistent to throw to since Boldin, T. Smith (somewhat) and Pita. Seems like a lot to put on a rookie in Perriman -- Hopefully TE Williams learns quick, otherwise this team to me looks no better than last year and now we don't have Suggs. I actually thought the defense played well yesterday, but also agree Manning looked bad. Hillman saved the day for the Broncos IMO.
Joe does seem to force the ball into receivers at the end of games and lets them make a play. As you said, no one on the team can make a play it seems. That pass doinking off of Smith's helmet was crushing.

Joe's not very good. Peyton is dealing with a terrible Oline and his throws didn't look very good even compared to the Peyton throws of last year.

Joe's not very good. Peyton is dealing with a terrible Oline and his throws didn't look very good even compared to the Peyton throws of last year.
IMO, Manning's neck thing has forced him to rely on his body more than arm for strength. When he is under duress, he can't use his body to throw, and therefore the passes look worse.

Fix the OL and you will fix Manning's arm.

Joes not very good until he has to play Brady, then he's $$.
Nah, still pretty bad.Without a receiver threatening to sprint down field then flop on every play he actually has to make throws.

IMO, Manning's neck thing has forced him to rely on his body more than arm for strength. When he is under duress, he can't use his body to throw, and therefore the passes look worse.

Fix the OL and you will fix Manning's arm.
and or he's just more afraid to get hit --

Joes not very good until he has to play Brady, then he's $$.
Nah, still pretty bad.Without a receiver threatening to sprint down field then flop on every play he actually has to make throws.
http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/tale-of-the-tape/postseason-stats-brady-vs-flacco-since-2008/

One game, so too early to make global judgments. That said, Manning's production does feed into the pre-written story line for 39 year old Q.B.'s with bad necks, inexperienced lines, aging arms, and no feel in their fingertips. Viewed as one game, learning a new offense, its no big deal. Viewed as a continuation of this last 5 or 6 games last year and it seems like a pattern of marked deterioration, of falling off a cliff. A few more like this and we will have to wonder if he is sticking around simply to chasse Favre's records.

the difficult thing is, with such a fast turn around to Thursday night's game I don't think another bad performance really offers much enlightenment one way or the other. A bad game there would be understandable. We probably have to wait until after weeks three or four to have any real insight on him. right now what we have are hunches and history. Father time being undefeated and all that.
 Because DW nails it per usual. Which isn't a gripe, just admiration.

It's week 1. Lots of team that start strong look crappy by week 8 and teams that look terrible out of the gate come on strong layer. It is too early to assess any team after week 1.

Users who are viewing this thread