What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dear Dr Jene - injury mechanisms questions (1 Viewer)

Drop

Footballguy
This is not an IDP topic per se, but I want to ask you here because it's the forum I respect the most.

I have noticed all your work analyzing injury mechanisms and I'm wondering if you are seeing patterns in the way players move and take/avoid contact in relation to injuries. People say things like "he runs high, so he's likely to get hurt" or whatever, but what would a scientist say? With your expertise and experience can you shed light on any particular players who don't know how to take hits and if it really matters? Like for instance have you noticed how AJ Green likes to land on 1 leg on a lot of jumping catches? I think he got hurt on Hard Knocks doing it, but don't quote me on that.

I've heard LaDainian Tomlinson talk about some running backs naturally knowing how to go down when tackled and I want to try to understand this aspect from a professionals point of view. Are you noticing dangerous mechanisms that are common to individual players that aren't resulting in injury that you would put a high probability on eventually leading to injury? I really don't know if there is anything to it or not, so I'm just asking you to speak on things that may be subtle and I really don't know specifically what to even ask. Does a player with duck feet have a better chance of coming back from a knee surgery than a player that runs pigeon toed? Stuff like that, which I understand may sound really silly... until perhaps the right person makes the right observation.

This absolutely plays a role.

For example, here's a great article from Mike Tanier, with reference to a study showing an increased risk of ACL tears in players who land in a certain way. Similar factors may be known for other biomechanical issues. Fatigue and subclinical muscle strains probably play a role, too. Things like this are on the cutting edge of injury metrics right now. The GPS data is being used in all sorts of proprietary ways from team to team. Some are undoubtedly way ahead of others.

Great article. Core stability and propriception exercises during the off season was going to be my answer.

Users who are viewing this thread