What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do experienced DFS players spend every last salary dollar? (1 Viewer)

kilgoretrout

Footballguy
This was my first week playing DFS over on Fanduel. I applied what I learned from the Cracking Fanduel book and also used the Daily Crusher app and did pretty good (all $1 entries though).

According to the book, you need to hit 2x the amount paid for 50/50s roughly, and 3x for GPPs. I get that. But I noticed I would make a lineup, then feel certain lower price guys I liked would be better swaps for the higher priced guys. But after making the swap and seeing I had like $2000 to $1500 left, I would spend that remaining money on other players to have my total salary be $0 again. Yet after the games, I saw that my intuition was correct and I should have just left my lineup filled with lower priced players even if my salary had $1500 left to spend.

Is this a viable strategy? To just pick a team from the gut and research without feeling you HAVE to spend every last dollar? Or do the experienced DFS players spend every last bit since that gives the best odds of winning?

I don't worry about having unused cap space, but at FD and DK having $1500-$2000 left over seems like a lot. I very often have up to $400 left over and don't think twice about it. If I had $2000 left over, I think I should be able to find a genuine upgrade somewhere on a full game slate. (Maybe not on a limited slate, like 4pm only.)

(At sites with a $100,000 cap, having $1500 left over is perfectly fine.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think in cash games you want to use almost all of it. You are trying to create a total floor of about 120 pts. You are essentially making tradeoffs and you want to play the top value plays and top cash plays. You want to fit in the highest floor so it makes sense to try to optimize your lineup.

My rule of thumb is that I never leave more than 1% of my cap on the table for cash games...if I have more than 1% left, I should be able to upgrade somewhere.

[For DK, that's $500...for FD, that's $600.]

My rule of thumb is that I never leave more than 1% of my cap on the table for cash games...if I have more than 1% left, I should be able to upgrade somewhere.

[For DK, that's $500...for FD, that's $600.]
Never really thought of it as not leaving over 1% on the table but I do use 500 as the max amount I generally feel comfortable being left over on DK for cash games.

This is good info. I was wondering if a few $100 was ok, guess it is.
Never sweat $100. Think of it this way. $100 on FD is 0.2 points, or 2 yards rush/rec. DK, it is 3 yards.

If you think your projections are that exact, well, you can make a lot of money with those - but I'm willing to say that you go with a player in the right range that you like and not sweat $100-500 left on the table (which is 2-15 yards, site depending).

I'm pretty comfortable with $700 left on a FD cash LU, atm. I won't leave 1000, but I've done fine getting close several times. It seems like this time of year a bunch of undervalued players prices will be on the rise for a few weeks and using them now could leave a very justifiable balance.

Users who are viewing this thread