What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brice Butler - WR; Traded to Dallas (1 Viewer)

bumpman

Footballguy
Last edited by a moderator:
Butler is a good WR. Oakland is stupid, so he never got a shot. They moved Seth Roberts into the #3 spot. Other teams clued them in that he was good by asking for him in a trade, which made Butler expendable.

This guy has talent. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see him flourish now that he's on a functional team.

This is the old thread with more info.

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?/topic/718250-brice-bulter-is-he-a-sneaky-play-tomorrow/

Here's one:

Bobbyn2022 said:
Raider fan here everything in camp I've read is that he's a really talented and has a ton of skill. Freak of an athlete and that he should have been starting a long time ago.
I saw him play vs the Saints last year (in PS IIRC) and I thought he looked like the best of the bunch over there. Guess they thought otherwise.

I just think they have doubts about Street and Beasley doesn't have the size and TW can't do it all by himself, hence this. Also I get the sense we're in for a long, long wait on Dez.

You never know but the guy turns 26 in January and has caught 95 passes since high school.

They may think he's another Miles Austin but Austin was dominate at Monmouth and Butler never distinguished himself at either USC or SDSU.

What interests me is the condition of the pick. Dallas pays it if he is on the team 6 games (not weeks).

Translation: Dez returns after their bye.

Butler is a good WR. Oakland is stupid, so he never got a shot. They moved Seth Roberts into the #3 spot. Other teams clued them in that he was good by asking for him in a trade, which made Butler expendable.
Fwiw, I added Roberts in a deep league. Figure there's some upside potential now.

Good hands, poor route runner, didn't even make the game day roster for week 1. Tells you all you need to know how much the Raiders valued him.

No offense intended, and by no means am I "high" on Butler, but a less than positive view of him by the Raiders isn't a negative, IMO. It shouldn't even factor in any evaluation of Butler, IMO.

No offense intended, and by no means am I "high" on Butler, but a less than positive view of him by the Raiders isn't a negative, IMO. It shouldn't even factor in any evaluation of Butler, IMO.
Definitely a non factor into his ability. The Raiders are as bad as Cleveland at talent evaluation.

Just picked him up on a flyer that perhaps he emerges. I heard an "expert" on Fantasy Football Sirius radio say he is the guy to own longterm this year? So, what the heck, see what happens after a few games.

@MikeClayNFL: Cowboys Week 2 pass routes:

Devin Street - 16

Brice Butler - 18
Wouldn't punt just yet. Yeah it's Weeden or Cassel, but the fact that he ran more routes than Street after four days with the team is pretty encouraging if you're stashing Brice hoping for lightning in a bottle.

34 snaps and 2 targets, 0 catches between the two of them?

I do think that was one of the occasional bloody knuckle street fights the NFCE gets into every so often. I'm willing to give a pass to everyone, Eagles included.

34 snaps and 2 targets, 0 catches between the two of them?

I do think that was one of the occasional bloody knuckle street fights the NFCE gets into every so often. I'm willing to give a pass to everyone, Eagles included.
That was pass routes, not snaps. Snap count was 31 for Street to 25 for Butler.

SportsDay's Jon Machota said Cowboys WR Brice Butler is on his "list of potential breakout candidates."
Acquired from the Raiders in September, Butler missed several games with a hamstring injury, but he came on strong with eight catches for 134 yards over the final two weeks. With little talent behind Dez Bryant, Butler should be given every opportunity to show what he can do.

Source: Dallas Morning News 
May 21 - 9:25 AM

He seems to be making plays lately. myFBG is touting him as one of few WRs available on my deep dynasty wire. Can any Dallas homers chime in? I've never been impressed with Williams. Cowboys offense seems dying for a dynamic playmaker in the #2 role opposite Dez. Can Butler mature into that guy?

He seems to be making plays lately. myFBG is touting him as one of few WRs available on my deep dynasty wire. Can any Dallas homers chime in? I've never been impressed with Williams. Cowboys offense seems dying for a dynamic playmaker in the #2 role opposite Dez. Can Butler mature into that guy?
Can he? Sure.

All he does is make plays. Unfortunately for him , Williams is playing in front of him and imo...that's not going to change. Plus Dak likes to use Witten, Beasley...I don't think Butler will be usable in fantasy unless someone gets hurt

Can he? Sure.

All he does is make plays. Unfortunately for him , Williams is playing in front of him and imo...that's not going to change. Plus Dak likes to use Witten, Beasley...I don't think Butler will be usable in fantasy unless someone gets hurt
so your'e saying theres a chance.....interesting 

I’m not sure he’s worthy of he effort it took to create this post. Maybe if Beasley, Dez, Witten & Williams all get hurt. And then maybe. ;)  

(Dynasty) I am not expecting to be able to start him at any point this year. But out of 6 dynasty/keeper leagues (most 12 team with 20-man rosters), I have him at the end of the bench in 3. And have rostered/dropped him in at least 2 of the others.

He seems to have the physical tools and I like to take chances on guys who always make plays with the opportunities they are given. 11 targets, 8 touches and 2 tds is the sort of production that could lead to an uptick in opportunities.  And at least one of those tds was in crunch time which I give extra brownie points for.  I also hive extra points for Dallas' offense which soon enough, I believe (2018?), will be able to feed a new mouth or two.

Odds of him being usable this year? I put it at 10-20% chance.  2018? I'll take a stab and say 20-30%.

Williams is clearly failing as a pass catcher, but excelling as a blocker on the outside. And blocking is what teams really value in their #2 WRs /s

Butler not playing more is a failure of the Cowboys' coaching staff

Per Pro Football Focus, Dak Prescott's 154.4 QB rating when targeting Brice Butler is the highest for any receiver with at least 10 targets.

On just 11 looks, Butler has an absurd eight catches for 207 yards and two touchdowns. That's more yards and scores than Terrance Williams, who has drawn eight more targets and played 133 more snaps. It would seem the Cowboys have an easy decision to make, but it's seemed like that since last season.
Not that this really matters, but ... maybe Williams eventually gets banged up, or the Cowboys just decide to play Butler more.

Arizona Cardinals' Brice Butler 'going to prove' he is worthy of being team's No. 2 WR

Bruce Arians is taking his talents to CBS Sports as one of the network’s in-game NFL analysts, but the former Cardinals coach has promised to always keep a sharp eye on the one team that give him his first and only shot to be a full-time NFL head coach.

“I like the acquisitions Steve has been making,” Arians said recently, referring to General Manager Steve Keim. “I thought it was a real solid offseason for him and the Cardinals.”

Of all the moves, you probably won’t guess the one Arians likes the most. Go ahead, think about it. Give up yet?

“I love the Brice Butler pickup,” Arians said. “He’s a tall, deep threat. He does what Michael Floyd did – a big, tall guy that can take the top off (of a defense). … I don’t know why he didn’t get more time last year with Dallas, but the fans out here are going to love this kid.

“He could be the No. 2 guy behind Larry (Fitzgerald).”
https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/cardinals/2018/06/10/arizona-cardinals-brice-butler-larry-fitzgerald-steve-wilks-dallas-cowboys/684969002/

Cardinals head coach Steve Wilks said recently that it is “hard to say” who will be the team’s No. 2 wide receiver behind Larry Fitzgerald, but one of the competitors believes he will make it an easy call before the regular season gets underway.

“Yeah, I’m going to prove it,” Butler said
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/10/brice-butler-out-to-prove-hes-cardinals-no-2-receiver/

“I love the Brice Butler pickup,” Arians said. “He’s a tall, deep threat. He does what Michael Floyd did – a big, tall guy that can take the top off (of a defense). … I don’t know why he didn’t get more time last year with Dallas, but the fans out here are going to love this kid.
He tends to drop the ball. Specifically on 3rd down. 

He dropped 1 ball last year and 1 the year before.  His drop rate was #120 last year (with #1 being the worst) and was even lower the year before.
 Yeah, that’s great. I can remember two games last year he dropped a pass that stalled out a drive that could’ve won them the game.

Brice Butler opens camp as the the #2 across from Larry Fitz. Chad Williams in slot.

**JJ Nelson and the rookie Kirk are getting reps with 1st team as well.

I like Brice Butler.  He is another big target with good hands.  He played pretty well with Dallas.  I am curious to see how he does for a full season.   

Users who are viewing this thread