What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favre, Owens HOF Nominees (1 Viewer)

dutch

Footballguy
http://www.nfl.com/halloffame/story/0ap3000000531439/article/favre-among-modern-era-nominees-for-hall-of-fame-class-of-16

*Finalist in 2015; CAPS indicate first year of eligibility

QUARTERBACKS (6)

Drew Bledsoe, BRETT FAVRE, Steve McNair, Phil Simms, Vinny Testaverde, *Kurt Warner

RUNNING BACKS (15)

Shaun Alexander, Ottis Anderson, Tiki Barber, Roger Craig, Stephen Davis, *Terrell Davis, Eddie George, Priest Holmes, Edgerrin James, Daryl Johnston, Jamal Lewis, CLINTON PORTIS, Herschel Walker (also KR), Ricky Watters, BRIAN WESTBROOK

WIDE RECEIVERS (9)

Isaac Bruce, Gary Clark, Henry Ellard (also PR), *Marvin Harrison, Torry Holt, TERRELL OWENS, Sterling Sharpe,Jimmy Smith, Rod Smith

TIGHT ENDS (2)

Mark Bavaro, Jay Novacek

OFFENSIVE LINEMEN (19)

Tony Boselli (T), Jeff Bostic ©, Jim Covert (T), ALAN FANECA (G), Jay Hilgenberg ©, Chris Hinton (G/T), Kent Hull ©, Joe Jacoby (T), Jon Jansen (T), Mike Kenn (T), Jim Lachey (T), Kevin Mawae (C/G), Mark May (G/T/C), Tom Nalen ©, Nate Newton (G), *Orlando Pace (T), Chris Samuels (T), Mark Schlereth (G), Steve Wisniewski (G)

DEFENSIVE LINEMEN (6)

Dexter Manley (DE), Charles Mann (DE), Leslie O'Neal (DE), Simeon Rice (DE), Fred Smerlas (NT), Bryant Young (DT)

LINEBACKERS (13)

Cornelius Bennett, Tedy Bruschi, KEITH BULLUCK, *Kevin Greene (also DE), Ken Harvey, Levon Kirkland, Clay Matthews, Willie McGinest (also DE), Karl Mecklenburg, Matt Millen, Sam Mills, Zach Thomas, MIKE VRABEL

DEFENSIVE BACKS (14)

Eric Allen (CB), Steve Atwater (S), Joey Browner (S), LeRoy Butler (S), Rodney Harrison (S), Ty Law (CB), Albert Lewis (CB), *John Lynch (S), LAWYER MILLOY (SS), DARREN SHARPER (FS), Shawn Springs (CB), Troy Vincent (CB/S), Everson Walls (CB), Darren Woodson (S)

KICKERS/PUNTERS (6)

*Morten Andersen (K), Gary Anderson (K), JOHN CARNEY (K), Jason Elam (K), Sean Landeta (P), Nick Lowery (K)

SPECIAL TEAMS/POSITION PLAYERS (3)

ETHAN ALBRIGHT (LS), Brian Mitchell (KR/PR also RB), Steve Tasker (also WR)

COACHES (15)

*Don Coryell, Bill Cowher, *Tony Dungy, Tom Flores, Mike Holmgren, *Jimmy Johnson, Chuck Knox, Buddy Parker, Richie Petitbon, Dan Reeves, Pete Rodriguez, Lou Saban, Marty Schottenheimer, Clark Shaughnessy, **** Vermeil

Chuck Knox is not in the hall of fame? really?

Until he is in and Terrell Davis is in, I'm not recognizing the validity of this glorified popularity contest.

Chuck Knox is not in the hall of fame? really?

Until he is in and Terrell Davis is in, I'm not recognizing the validity of this glorified popularity contest.
Chuck Knox was a very good coach but never winning a championship, either as head coach or assistant, is likely keeping him out.

A LOT of great players on that list

HOF for NFL is tricky. in MLB, players play for 20 ys and are great for 10-15 of those. NFL guys (except QBS) play 10 yrs or so, with 5 or so great years. This gives you more great players over a five year span.

There are more guys on that list that deserve enshrinement than would suit peoples' tastes of thinking that the hall is somehow watered down...

T.O. dropped too many big passes.....and Tuna referred to him as "the player".....no HOF for you!

T.O. dropped too many big passes.....and Tuna referred to him as "the player".....no HOF for you!
I know, right. It's not like he ranked #2 all time in receiving yards, #3 in receiving TD, or #6 in receptions. We wouldn't want him cluttering up the Hall.

Favre has got to get in first ballot. The only strike against him was the retiring/unretiring saga.

Of the RBs if any of that crowd gets in before TD then it's really sad. Clinton Portis, really?

Don't think any of the WRs should get in this year, but if any it should be T.O. He does however come as a pretty big primadonna. When is Moss eligible? I'd take him in before T.O.

More to the point, when was the last time two guys got in on the first ballot.

Seems like TO has a few things going against him. Favre for sure in. WRs aren't looked upon very favorably at Hall. Owens was a primadonna (this is a lame excuse not to vote for him...dude was never a troublemaker of any significance).

Owens is a lock, and I would vote him in on his first ballot, but, then, I would have voted Harrison in on his first ballot. I don't expect TO to make it this year.

Who I would vote for (not including contributor and/or senior candidates):

Favre

Warner

Harrison

Owens

Pace

Who I expect to be voted in (not including contributor and/or senior candidates):

Favre

Warner

Harrison

Pace

Greene

With an outside shot at Dungy bumping out one of them other than Favre.

TO's like the hot chick that is bad for you....but you keep goin back....that's why he accumulated the stats...teams really didn't want him cuz he's a dooshnozzle, but a talented dooshnozzle....never liked him as a cowboy

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe Portis can improve his chances if he promises to perform each paragraph of his induction speech in a different character.

Every year I look at the list of nominees and wonder how you can select only five. They need to have a make-up year where there's no limit & everyone who is deserving is enshrined.

An NFL HoF without TO is like an MLB HoF without Pete Rose. Makes zero sense.
No way....no comparison as players...Charlie Hustle!....TO is a whiny drama queen...Pete Rose is a man! When i was a kid if u slid head first its a "Pete rose" slide....what's a TO?...oh i know...bobble and drop a sure touchdown, then pout and cry on the sideline.....Free Pete Rose!

Favre, Harrison, Pace, Greene, Lynch, Dungy

ETA: switched from JJ to Dungy. Somehow I thought JJ had a better record than he does.

Favre, Harrison, Pace, Greene, Lynch, Dungy

ETA: switched from JJ to Dungy. Somehow I thought JJ had a better record than he does.
I believe you included one too many. I believe the current rules are that 4-8 people will be elected in each class, but no more than 5 can be non-senior candidates and non-contributors. None of the people you named are senior candidates, who have not been named yet, or contributors. Contributors are elected for contributions to the game other than playing and coaching, so Dungy does not qualify there (assuming you aren't choosing him for his media work).

That should be fine, since both Lynch and Dungy are overrated and belong nowhere near a HOF class given the extensive group of better qualified candidates.

http://www.nfl.com/halloffame/story/0ap3000000531439/article/favre-among-modern-era-nominees-for-hall-of-fame-class-of-16

*Finalist in 2015; CAPS indicate first year of eligibility

QUARTERBACKS (6)

Drew Bledsoe, BRETT FAVRE, Steve McNair, Phil Simms, Vinny Testaverde, *Kurt Warner

RUNNING BACKS (15)

Shaun Alexander, Ottis Anderson, Tiki Barber, Roger Craig, Stephen Davis, *Terrell Davis, Eddie George, Priest Holmes, Edgerrin James, Daryl Johnston, Jamal Lewis, CLINTON PORTIS, Herschel Walker (also KR), Ricky Watters, BRIAN WESTBROOK

WIDE RECEIVERS (9)

Isaac Bruce, Gary Clark, Henry Ellard (also PR), *Marvin Harrison, Torry Holt, TERRELL OWENS, Sterling Sharpe,Jimmy Smith, Rod Smith

TIGHT ENDS (2)

Mark Bavaro, Jay Novacek

OFFENSIVE LINEMEN (19)

Tony Boselli (T), Jeff Bostic ©, Jim Covert (T), ALAN FANECA (G), Jay Hilgenberg ©, Chris Hinton (G/T), Kent Hull ©, Joe Jacoby (T), Jon Jansen (T), Mike Kenn (T), Jim Lachey (T), Kevin Mawae (C/G), Mark May (G/T/C), Tom Nalen ©, Nate Newton (G), *Orlando Pace (T), Chris Samuels (T), Mark Schlereth (G), Steve Wisniewski (G)

DEFENSIVE LINEMEN (6)

Dexter Manley (DE), Charles Mann (DE), Leslie O'Neal (DE), Simeon Rice (DE), Fred Smerlas (NT), Bryant Young (DT)

LINEBACKERS (13)

Cornelius Bennett, Tedy Bruschi, KEITH BULLUCK, *Kevin Greene (also DE), Ken Harvey, Levon Kirkland, Clay Matthews, Willie McGinest (also DE), Karl Mecklenburg, Matt Millen, Sam Mills, Zach Thomas, MIKE VRABEL

DEFENSIVE BACKS (14)

Eric Allen (CB), Steve Atwater (S), Joey Browner (S), LeRoy Butler (S), Rodney Harrison (S), Ty Law (CB), Albert Lewis (CB), *John Lynch (S), LAWYER MILLOY (SS), DARREN SHARPER (FS), Shawn Springs (CB), Troy Vincent (CB/S), Everson Walls (CB), Darren Woodson (S)

KICKERS/PUNTERS (6)

*Morten Andersen (K), Gary Anderson (K), JOHN CARNEY (K), Jason Elam (K), Sean Landeta (P), Nick Lowery (K)

SPECIAL TEAMS/POSITION PLAYERS (3)

ETHAN ALBRIGHT (LS), Brian Mitchell (KR/PR also RB), Steve Tasker (also WR)

COACHES (15)

*Don Coryell, Bill Cowher, *Tony Dungy, Tom Flores, Mike Holmgren, *Jimmy Johnson, Chuck Knox, Buddy Parker, Richie Petitbon, Dan Reeves, Pete Rodriguez, Lou Saban, Marty Schottenheimer, Clark Shaughnessy, **** Vermeil
IMO

Favre, Terrell Davis, Nate Newton, Dexter Manley, Chuck Knox these would be my top 5

the rest I would take from ..... Jimmy Johnson, John Lynch, Everson Walls, Kevin Greene, Mecklenberg, Boselli, Maervin, Herschel, Atwater, Warner

If I could vote for as many as I wanted, I would vote for these...

BRETT FAVRE, Kurt Warner

Tiki Barber, Terrell Davis, Eddie George, Herschel Walker

Marvin Harrison,TERRELL OWENS

Tony Boselli (T), Chris Hinton (G/T), Jim Lachey (T), Kevin Mawae (C/G), Orlando Pace (T), Chris Samuels (T), Steve Wisniewski (G)

Fred Smerlas (NT)

Karl Mecklenburg,Sam Mills

Steve Atwater (S), Darren Woodson (S)

Morten Andersen (K), Sean Landeta (P),

Nate Newton

Jim Lachey

Terrell Davis

Brett Favrah

Brian Mitchell

I really struggled with not putting in Kurt Warner. He's deserving but I gotta put these guys in first.

I would put all of these players in the Hall of Fame (with bolded players getting top priority):

BRETT FAVRE, *Kurt Warner

Shaun Alexander, Tiki Barber, Roger Craig, *Terrell Davis, Edgerrin James, Jamal Lewis, Herschel Walker (also KR), BRIAN WESTBROOK

Isaac Bruce, Henry Ellard (also PR), *Marvin Harrison, Torry Holt, TERRELL OWENS, Sterling Sharpe

Tony Boselli (T),ALAN FANECA (G), Joe Jacoby (T), Kevin Mawae (C/G), Nate Newton (G), *Orlando Pace (T),

Leslie O'Neal (DE)

*Kevin Greene(also DE), Karl Mecklenburg, Sam Mills, Zach Thomas

Eric Allen (CB), Steve Atwater (S), LeRoy Butler (S), Rodney Harrison (S), Ty Law (CB), *John Lynch (S), Darren Woodson (S)

*Morten Andersen (K),

Albert Lewis was tremendous. He should get more support. Brett Favre, Alan Faneca, Marvin Harrison, Terrell Owens, and Orlando Pace will eventually get in. I am in favor of Kurt Warner, Sterling Sharpe, Terrell Davis, Bryant Young, Jimbo Covert, Kevin Mawae, Joe Jacoby and Priest Holmes.

My top-5 would be:

Brett Favre, held every major career passing record until last season. 3 MVP's, 1 Super Bowl title. He's a lock

Terrell Owens, ALL PRO WR for 3 different teams. In my opinion, the best WR of his generation. Feels like a lock.

Alan Faneca, 6 time all-pro, 9 time pro bowler. Best interior lineman of the 00's in my eyes. 1 Ring helps as well.

Zach Thomas, 5 time all pro, 7 time pro bowler. One of the best LB's ever, but was unfortunately overshadowed by Ray Lewis. Should have been in last year.

LeRoy Butler, 3rd best player on back to back super bowl teams. 4 all-pros and pro bowls. Best true safety of the 90's.

I really think they should take more players and recognize the interior lineman, LBs, and DBs at the same rate they enshrine RBs, WRs, and exterior linemen. Coaches should be in their own category.

Users who are viewing this thread