What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Refs Should be Accountable for Making Awful Calls (1 Viewer)

Leviathan

Footballguy
Players face fines, after the fact of said infraction, due to technology. Why aren't referees held to the same standard?

Horrible calls should should face some sort of punishment.

:shrug:

Because the fans forgot how terrible the regular refs were during the replacement refs ordeal and forced the NFL to cave without getting full time refs or instant accountability/discipline for poor performance from refs, both of which were on the table.

I said it then and I'll say it now, the next time you're pissed off about how poor the refs are, you'll have no one to blame but yourselves.

Players face fines, after the fact of said infraction, due to technology. Why aren't referees held to the same standard?

There's still the human error possibility that brings excitment to the game. They are taking more and more of that away with replay, but penalties would be really hard to do. Baseball could easily make an electronic strike zone, but its part of the game to yell at umpires.

You can't fine a guy if he saw a guy hold another guy.

Players don't get fined for missing blocks or dropping balls.

If a ref ever punches somebody during a game, maybe he'll get fined.

Horrible calls should should face some sort of punishment. :shrug:

I remember a ref throwing a flag that hit a player in the eye. Granted, that was a freak accident.

I remember a ref throwing a flag that hit a player in the eye. Granted, that was a freak accident.
Orlando Brown. Got a big settlement out of that fiasco too.

Point being, we are only 2 weeks into the 2015 season. Several calls by the officials determined the outcome of several games.

Yes or No?

Its the same story every year, the refs are awful. Incompetence is something us fans have to accept. Technology changes nothing.

Its the same story every year, the refs are awful. Incompetence is something us fans have to accept. Technology changes nothing.
Technology is applied towards players on a daily basis. They're fined on a later date due to technology. Late hit, helmet to helmet, etc.Refs, not so much.

Technology is applied towards players on a daily basis. They're fined on a later date due to technology. Late hit, helmet to helmet, etc.Refs, not so much.
Move the damn refs to the press box and have them watch monitors and call the game. Better results and less human error. Also reviews allowed on every play but the outcome has to be stated prior to the snap.

Orlando Brown. Got a big settlement out of that fiasco too.
And Jeff Triplette who threw that flag is still reffing.

I believe the officials have their own review process and get graded every game and can face consequences. Most people never hear of those is because the NFL wants those kept quiet, unlike that for players or coaches, and the officials have to do a lot of stuff to not discuss a lot of details on the operations of officials.

I believe the officials have their own review process and get graded every game and can face consequences. Most people never hear of those is because the NFL wants those kept quiet, unlike that for players or coaches, and the officials have to do a lot of stuff to not discuss a lot of details on the operations of officials.
Ed Hochuli? He was directly involved in a terrible call. Many moons ago, mind you, but terrible nonetheless. What was his fine, exactly?

Ed Hochuli? He was directly involved in a terrible call. Many moons ago, mind you, but terrible nonetheless. What was his fine, exactly?
How much did you get fined the last time you made an honest mistake at your job?

I believe that refs can only be disciplined for performance at the end of the season, not on a game by game basis (whereas players can be cut/benched at any time). This was one of the points of contention in the lockout. The NFL wanted to be able to react quicker to poor refereeing.

How much did you get fined the last time you made an honest mistake at your job?
It was worse than Hochuli's fine. ;) Not my point.

Hochuli was downgraded by the NFL, which affected his future usage, including playoff assignments. He has not worked a Super Bowl since 2004.

when has a player ever been fined for a terrible play? Your question was answered in the first or second reply. And you've been more wrong with each subsequent post.

Because the fans forgot how terrible the regular refs were during the replacement refs ordeal and forced the NFL to cave without getting full time refs or instant accountability/discipline for poor performance from refs, both of which were on the table.

I said it then and I'll say it now, the next time you're pissed off about how poor the refs are, you'll have no one to blame but yourselves.
And the fail Mary.

when has a player ever been fined for a terrible play? Your question was answered in the first or second reply. And you've been more wrong with each subsequent post.
Bad players get cut when they repeatedly suck. Bad refs like Jeff Tripplette stick around...forever.

To those complaining about the quality of officiating, go try it sometime. I used to ##### about calls every week until I started working high school games this year. It's very difficult to catch the things they do with all of that action going on around you. Sure, everyone makes mistakes. But unless you want the games to take 7 hours so every call can be reviewed and voted on, you're going to have to deal with humans doing the job. And that's what they are, human.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad players get cut when they repeatedly suck. Bad refs like Jeff Tripplette stick around...forever.
Officials get reviewed and graded after every game. And if Triplet 'sucked', he wouldn't be an NFL official anymore. You're confusing making calls that don't favor your team with bad calls.

If they truly were, there would be new faces every week. This week was brutal...as is most weeks. It ATL, Freeman didn't not score. Julio actually did score (he was not touched when his knee was down - thus he was not down). Hankerson's TD did not have clear evidence that he didn't score. That's just the ATL game. In NO, the Bucs were awarded a fumble recovery when clearly, the defensive guy did not have possession until he was out of bounds.

This is really pissing me off. Ref standing at goal line, player clearly scores TD, ref looks around at other refs to see what they are doing, other ref signal TD. Dude, you were right there, 5 feet away from the guy.

To those complaining about the quality of officiating, go try it sometime. I used to ##### about calls every week until I started working high school games this year. It's very difficult to catch the things they do with all of that action going on around you. Sure, everyone makes mistakes. But unless you want the games to take 7 hours so every call can be reviewed and voted on, you're going to have to deal with humans doing the job. And that's what they are, human.
There is a difference. You are an amateur referee. Some of these guys have been doing it for 30 years and still suck. They are professional referees yet they look like amateurs.

Officials get reviewed and graded after every game. And if Triplet 'sucked', he wouldn't be an NFL official anymore. You're confusing making calls that don't favor your team with bad calls.
In most cases I think the whining about officials is obnoxiously hilarious in a just shut up and watch the game sorta way, but Tripplette really is terrible at his job.

There is a difference. You are an amateur referee. Some of these guys have been doing it for 30 years and still suck. They are professional referees yet they look like amateurs.
If he is doing HS football then he is getting paid and is NOT an amateur referee. He is refereeing amateur athletics but not an amateur official. Secondly, the point remains that people love to bash officials while watching replays in HD from the comfort of their couch or sitting behind their keyboard but have no idea what its like to actually try to officiate a game in live action.

I'm a college and HS basketball official and have done football in the past. I agree with CR69 suggestion that everyone should try to do it themselves. It's not nearly as easy as most think. Just because you think an official "sucks" does not mean your opinion matches reality.

Officials at all levels, and especially in the NFL, have rigorous training, review, and grading processes. They are absolutely held accountable for their performance.

:cry:

why can't officials be perfect, it is no fair, :cry:

my team/fantasy player had 60:00 minutes of game time where they could have lived up to my expectations and they did not so lets blame one possible mistake by an official for my woes

There are a few plays where the speed of the game will make it hard on the ref but most plays, not so much. And since all plays are review able this shouldnt be a problem. No game will last 7 hours. All they have to do is keep throwing their dirty laundry and then it takes 2 seconds for someone upstairs to review it and correct the call on the field. Thats it. We can see it from home, everything. So does the guy upstairs. Holding call? Nope never happened, Lets move on. PI? Nope lets move on. This subjective crap is what killed the sport.

But the NFL doesnt want that and neither do the powers that be that really control this game. You see this parity is all an illusion. Its forced so that there is this mantra called "Any Given Sunday". Without it you would have the best teams always winning and the bad teams would have no chance. The draft is setup so that the worst teams get to choose among the best players to create this false hope that the number 1 selection will bring a bottom feeder a SB trophy. Cleveland, Jacksonville, Detroit, Texans have never won a SB and probably never will. If anyone thinks they have an equal chance as the rest of the NFL come week 1 every year I have ocean front property in Kansas along with a bridge I will sell you. A SB trophy is an award, not for excellence but to something that happens in the NFL world. Its a token of appreciation to get the minds of the fans off the real world.

The NFL is the WWE. They dont care how bad the product is, how many games are decided by officials, or how much fans ##### about any of it. they are making billions. Between FF, gambling and TV Network deals, the NFL is full steam ahead and now that Fan Duel and Draft Kings are taking money, the NFL will continue to keep putting out a mirage.

With that said I love the NFL. I love the games, I love my team, but I know what it is.

The refs are not awful. They get most calls right.....I think we take for granted how hard their job is.

They lose their jobs, don't get to do playoffs/superbowls, etc. They are held accountable to the tape every week.
Then how come Jeff Tripplette still has a job? Not only does he make terrible judgement calls in the moment, he actually interprets the rules wrong and makes bad decisions during games.
Because he is an excellent employee. He is doing exactly as he is instructed. I think he even goes above and beyond the call of duty.

If he is doing HS football then he is getting paid and is NOT an amateur referee. He is refereeing amateur athletics but not an amateur official. Secondly, the point remains that people love to bash officials while watching replays in HD from the comfort of their couch or sitting behind their keyboard but have no idea what its like to actually try to officiate a game in live action.

I'm a college and HS basketball official and have done football in the past. I agree with CR69 suggestion that everyone should try to do it themselves. It's not nearly as easy as most think. Just because you think an official "sucks" does not mean your opinion matches reality.

Officials at all levels, and especially in the NFL, have rigorous training, review, and grading processes. They are absolutely held accountable for their performance.
Whatever. Let me rephrase that. There is a huge difference between him and NFL refs. He's NOT a professional referee.

IIRC, that one bad call kept him out of multiple post seasons, and he is one of the better refs IMO. The call actually brought the present MO of not making the mistake of blowing a play dead rather than the contrary where you risk injury to players by swallowing your whistle just to see how things play out...just in case.

I'm guessing more often than you think.

It was worse than Hochuli's fine. ;) Not my point.
got moved from the register to the fryer?

You saying Tripplette isn't bad at his job? Because you might be the first to ever defend this idiot.

You saying Tripplette isn't bad at his job? Because you might be the first to ever defend this idiot.
I'm saying that the NFL has a very rigid way of grading their officials and I'm sure it's more effective than your biased way. They don't care about a 'perceived-by-you-to-be-a' blown call that takes points from your fantasy running back. Or costs your pro team a game. If he was as bad as you say, he wouldn't have a job. And it's laughable that you think you're a better judge of officiating than the league is.

I'm saying that the NFL has a very rigid way of grading their officials and I'm sure it's more effective than your biased way. They don't care about a 'perceived-by-you-to-be-a' blown call that takes points from your fantasy running back. Or costs your pro team a game. If he was as bad as you say, he wouldn't have a job. And it's laughable that you think you're a better judge of officiating than the league is.
So I say that Jeff Tripplette is proof that the NFL puts up with lackluster officials and you counter it with he's not lackluster because the NFL puts up with him? Guess we're done here.

So I say that Jeff Tripplette is proof that the NFL puts up with lackluster officials and you counter it with he's not lackluster because the NFL puts up with him? Guess we're done here.
I would say so. Since you think you're a better evaluator than the league. LOL Perhaps they should hire you. :clap:

I would say so. Since you think you're a better evaluator than the league. LOL Perhaps they should hire you. :clap:
http://www.si.com/nfl/audibles/2014/01/04/nfl-assigns-jeff-triplette-san-diego-cincinnati

I will wait for you to counter with an article defending this boob.

Users who are viewing this thread