What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Josh Doctson - WR - Redskins (1 Viewer)

I’m still holding him in one dyno BC the options on the wire aren’t much better.   I’m holding him in my other dyno BC dropping him during his contract incurs a cap hit.  The rest of this year is his audition for me for next year.  

He has not even sniffed my starting lineup once this year and likely won’t unless Alex smith suddenly grows a pair of balls and starts chucking up 50/50 balls for him all over the field.  Which we all know won’t happen.  

When smith signed with the skins, I was going to drop doctson BC I felt they were not a fit for each other.  But then I heard the “experts” talk about how smith was actually the best deep ball passer in the league last year and that he would benefit doctson.  So I bit and signed doctson to a 2 year deal.  

But here is my (and the “experts”) error in thinking:  Smith only threw deep balls to Tyreek last year and the year before BC Tyreek used his speed to burn defenders.  Smith only threw it deep when the defender was toast.  NOT on 50/50 balls.  Doctson isn’t a speed guy.  He’s a bigger guy with great leaping ability and body positioning to snag balls out of the air over defenders.  Smith does not have the balls to throw those balls with any consistency.

So as long as doctson and smith remain redskins, doctson is a zero.   
I completely agree with you.  I know the talent is there and really hesitate to drop him.  He hasn't even sniffed my lineup either nor will he for this year. I don't think Smith is going anywhere as he signed a 4 yr contract.  Doctson doesn't become an UFA until 2021.  May be time to part way as I know I won't get anything for him.

So was last week’s blowup with McCoy a thing to make him viable or just an outlier?

Crowder & Thompson might be back, according to Twitter reports via B/R.

2-keeper 1.0 PPR re-draft.  Just looking for a high target WR and he looks promising with McCoy.  Crowder or Thompson returning would kill some of the target upside.

Who else wishes they didn't have this slug on their dynasty team (1 for me).  How long before we can be comfortable sending him to the waiver wire?

Who else wishes they didn't have this slug on their dynasty team (1 for me).  How long before we can be comfortable sending him to the waiver wire?
I almost traded for him at the beginning of last year, but luckily was turned down. He seems like one of those guys you can't cut because it feels wrong, but he'll never help your team. A guy in my league still hasn't cut Treadwell for the same reason.

I'd just cut him after the start of the league year in your league, there will be better dynasty flyers available.  Or try and trade him to someone to move up slightly in the draft, so it doesn't feel like cutting them. I traded C Pat a year ago to move up 3 spots in the 3rd round of the rookie draft. Made almost 0 difference, but it was better than cutting him. (He got cut 6 weeks later)

Michael Thomas would not be "Michael Thomas" if the Skins had drafted him.  We don't know how to develop WRs. 

This is not an excuse to completely absolve Doctson.  He sucks because he has no heart, on top of the fact he was put at a disadvantage based on the team that drafted him.

Redskins declined WR Josh Doctson's fifth-year option for 2020.

This was an easy call. Doctson made some strides after Alex Smith went down last year but hasn't come close to living up to his draft status. He's also battled multiple injuries despite missing just one game the past two seasons. Even with Jamison Crowder gone, it's hard to see Doctson taking a step forward in 2019.

SOURCE: JP Finley on Twitter

May 1, 2019, 4:28 PM ET

Receiver Josh Doctson isn't a lock to make the Redskins' roster; that doesn't mean he won't but it does mean the team has a decision to make. They have shopped him in the past and, given the young talent they have at receiver, that's expected to be an option again this week. But Doctson, entering his fourth season, still has fans in the organization so it could be if he's not traded, he'll remain. He won't play vs. Baltimore Thursday, but coach Jay Gruden said of Doctson's future here, "We’ll see what happens. I’m not saying anybody’s making it or not making it right now. We still have another game and evaluations to make.”

John Keim, ESPN Staff Writer

The Athletic's Ben Standig reports the Redskins want to trade contract-year WR Josh Doctson prior to Week 1.

Doctson being in the final year of his deal and his inability to play special teams is working against him as roster cuts loom. The problem for the Redskins is Doctson's due a guaranteed $1.2 million salary and another $1.377 million in bonuses this season. Washington would save just over $620K by cutting Doctson. He'd bring back nothing more than a late-round pick in a trade. The Redskins have used a number of draft picks on wideouts since taking Doctson No. 22 overall in 2016.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Aug 27, 2019, 8:15 PM ET

Redskins waived WR Josh Doctson.

The Redskins could still trade Doctson ahead of 4 PM ET, though it's doubtful he'd attract much interest. Drafted 22nd overall in 2016, the former TCU standout never panned out in Washington, averaging a tepid 33.3 yards per game with eight touchdowns over 33 appearances for the 'Skins. Set to turn 27 in December, if Doctson was going to break out, it probably would have happened by now. With Doctson out of the mix, Washington will turn to Paul Richardson, Trey Quinn and tight end Jordan Reed as their primary pass-catchers.

RELATED: 

Washington Redskins

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Aug 31, 2019, 11:48 AM ET

Rotoworld take:

Vikings signed WR Josh Doctson, formerly of the Redskins.

Doctson is reunited with his former quarterback Kirk Cousins on a depth chart that currently consists of just Adam Thielen, Stefon Diggs, Chad Beebe and Olabisi Johnson. Still, it's unlikely that Doctson carves out anything resembling a significant role in a Vikings' offense that is trending towards using 2-TE formations more than ever in 2019. But this is a top-heavy WR chart with snaps available when the Vikings do use "11" personnel.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Sep 2, 2019, 3:40 PM ET

At a glance it seems like a nice bump since it’s felt like the Vikings have needed a quality WR3 forever. 

But they’re also using 2 TE sets a ton, so we’ll have to wait & see what this move means to Doctson’s value. 

If they start running out 3 WR sets we’ll know they were going with necessity rather than preference & Doctson could finally have a quality role. He did play with Cousins before in WAS. 

For now I don’t think it moves the needle. 

At a glance it seems like a nice bump since it’s felt like the Vikings have needed a quality WR3 forever. 

But they’re also using 2 TE sets a ton, so we’ll have to wait & see what this move means to Doctson’s value. 

If they start running out 3 WR sets we’ll know they were going with necessity rather than preference & Doctson could finally have a quality role. He did play with Cousins before in WAS. 

For now I don’t think it moves the needle. 
Good for Viking football, fanasty football not so much.

Good for Viking football, fanasty football not so much.
Really makes me wonder what could have been if Doctson fell to us in the draft that year.

Treadwell had hands of stone and is gone.

Doctson can play. And he’ll make some plays given the opportunity. But like you said I don’t think it will be consistent from a FF standpoint. But he provides the Vikes with a great WR3 that can high point the ball and get deep. 

As an offensive coordinator I’d hate to gameplan against Thielen, Diggs and Doctson.

Doctson is trash.  Think about it.  The Redskins, with absolutely 0 WRs cut him.  He's done nothing.  He can't separate, and from the outside looking in it appears he has no heart.  His own coach didn't even think he was tough and expressed it numerous times.  Doctson as MIN WR3?  I don't think so even if depth is lacking.  Dude is terrible.  We've watched him for several years, and not once has he looked even respectable.  National media thinks he's talented.  He's not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doctson is trash.  Think about it.  The Redskins, with absolutely 0 WRs cut him.  He's done nothing.  He can't separate, and from the outside looking in it appears he has no heart.  His own coach didn't even think he was tough and expressed it numerous times.  Doctson as MIN WR3?  I don't think so even if depth is lacking.  Dude is terrible.  We've watched him for several years, and not once has he looked even respectable.  National media thinks he's talented.  He's not.
He caught 5 touchdowns in one year with cousins, the redskins may have 0 at WR, but they have 00 at QB, total rebuild in progress at Washington.  Doctson is the perfect WR 3 for the Vikings.

He caught 5 touchdowns in one year with cousins, the redskins may have 0 at WR, but they have 00 at QB, total rebuild in progress at Washington.  Doctson is the perfect WR 3 for the Vikings.
Not to correct you, but 6 TDs. And all from 20+ yards out.

That was with who playing with him? Garçon and Crowder? Maybe DJax? I’d have to look it up.

Like we both said earlier. He can be a great WR3 NFL team weapon without being a fantasy stud.

You mean that awesome season where he caught 35 passes and had 6 TDs on 78 targets?   I'll let you reach your own conclusions.  Mine: Other than jump balls he has no purpose.

You mean that awesome season where he caught 35 passes and had 6 TDs on 78 targets?   I'll let you reach your own conclusions.  Mine: Other than jump balls he has no purpose.
We’re not talking starter material, but wr3, jump balls late in the game can be winners.  I still think he landed in the best possible spot.

Doctson was dropped in all my PPR dynasty leagues and so far no one has picked him up. As a Skins fan who's still crying over the fact that we drafted this bum over Michael Thomas, I can say he's barely worth a roster spot. Just look at the Redskins history of drafting WRs (Howard, Gardner, Hankerson, Devin Thomas, Malcomb Kelly, Taylor Jacobs, Michael Westbrook, I could on and on). They have an amazing knack for drafting garbage, and those players never pan out even after they leave DC. Crowder was the lone bright spot I can think of that panned out. So yeah, I'm saying it would buck a huge trend for Doctson to suddenly produce even on a new team like the Vikings. I guess we'll find out soon enough though! 

Dr. Octopus said:
Why would Doctson be good all of a sudden?
I am not saying Doctson will be "good" but his situation looks improved from where it has been in Washington.

Going back down memory lane it did seem pretty clear that the Vikings had tunnel vision to draft a WR in 2015 and it also seemed that Doctson was the WR they preferred. They were not able to get him and they went with Treadwell instead. I think it is a positive sign for Doctson going to a team that wanted him.

Doctson hasn't really had much luck with his career so far. He had an achilles injury his rookie season so 2016 was more like his rookie year. He had 6 TD but a terrible 45% catch rate. Washington did not keep Cousins so there was no continuity or chemistry to build on.

Last year they had Alex Smith, Colt McCoy, The Sanchize, and a giuy named Josh Joshson (huh who is that?) playing QB. Smith did not play well before being injured.

I am not saying Doctson hasn't sucked. Just saying it also wasn't a very good situation for him to be successful.

He will be buried in the Vikings offense. What he does best, going deep and making jump balls is something that the Vikings have been looking for for a long time. Hell they have been looking for that since before their interest in Doctson filling that role for them as a prospect back in 2015. The Vikings did have Jaruis Wright who can kind of do that job for them, but they were looking for a player like that who is taller and better able to make contested catches downfield.

Anyhow. Doctson if he beats out Bebee and Johnson for playing time is going to be 5th or 6th in the pecking order for targets with the Vikings and not very useful for FF.

I am not saying Doctson will be "good" but his situation looks improved from where it has been in Washington.

Going back down memory lane it did seem pretty clear that the Vikings had tunnel vision to draft a WR in 2015 and it also seemed that Doctson was the WR they preferred. They were not able to get him and they went with Treadwell instead. I think it is a positive sign for Doctson going to a team that wanted him.

Doctson hasn't really had much luck with his career so far. He had an achilles injury his rookie season so 2016 was more like his rookie year. He had 6 TD but a terrible 45% catch rate. Washington did not keep Cousins so there was no continuity or chemistry to build on.

Last year they had Alex Smith, Colt McCoy, The Sanchize, and a giuy named Josh Joshson (huh who is that?) playing QB. Smith did not play well before being injured.

I am not saying Doctson hasn't sucked. Just saying it also wasn't a very good situation for him to be successful.

He will be buried in the Vikings offense. What he does best, going deep and making jump balls is something that the Vikings have been looking for for a long time. Hell they have been looking for that since before their interest in Doctson filling that role for them as a prospect back in 2015. The Vikings did have Jaruis Wright who can kind of do that job for them, but they were looking for a player like that who is taller and better able to make contested catches downfield.

Anyhow. Doctson if he beats out Bebee and Johnson for playing time is going to be 5th or 6th in the pecking order for targets with the Vikings and not very useful for FF.
You only list his QBs from last season. Every other season he played with some guy named Kirk Cousins.

You only list his QBs from last season. Every other season he played with some guy named Kirk Cousins.
Yes I did.

Rookie year he had an achilles injury.  With Cousins for 2 games.

2nd year 6 TD bad catch rate with Cousins then last year with some QB who are not so good.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport has reported that WR Josh Doctson (leg) will be placed on the injured reserve list.

Doctson was tentatively expected to be the Vikings' No. 4 WR. He's a candidate to return later in the season. Minnesota will continue to move forward with Adam Thielen, Stefon Diggs and Chad Beebe in 3-WR sets.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter.

Sep 12, 2019, 11:49 AM ET

And hence why all Redskins watchers were quick to say he sucked and MIN had nothing here.  MIN fans see what the national media says.  1st ournd pick, blah, blah.  We in DC know he hates to get hit, he can't separate, and he finds plenty of injuries that nobody on the training staff can find.  If it was touch football, you'd want Doctson.  But if there's a chance for contact, you can be assured he'll find a way to be unavailable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vikings activated Josh Doctson (hamstring) off injured reserve.

Doctson should be active for Week 11 against the Broncos, but he's obviously not on the fantasy radar even with Adam Thielen sidelined. Expect the Vikings to use Dalvin Cook and the rushing attack this weekend before heading into their Week 12 bye.

SOURCE: Adam Caplan on Twitter

Nov 15, 2019, 3:20 PM ET

Not expecting anything but there is opportunity for him with the Jets....
He's garbage, not worth a waiver pickup IMO. He had a great opportunity with the Skins too and couldn't catch the ball. That's pretty much what the Skins do drafting WRs (until McLaurin thank goodness) see: Rod "50/50" Gardner, Desmond Howard, Westbrook, Taylor Jacobs, Devin Thomas, Malcom Kelly...Leonard Hankerson...literally Jamison Crowder and McLaurin are the only 2 solid WRs they have ever drafted during Snyder's tenure in DC.  :bag:

He's garbage, not worth a waiver pickup IMO. He had a great opportunity with the Skins too and couldn't catch the ball. That's pretty much what the Skins do drafting WRs (until McLaurin thank goodness) see: Rod "50/50" Gardner, Desmond Howard, Westbrook, Taylor Jacobs, Devin Thomas, Malcom Kelly...Leonard Hankerson...literally Jamison Crowder and McLaurin are the only 2 solid WRs they have ever drafted during Snyder's tenure in DC.  :bag:
I agree.

Users who are viewing this thread