What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shameless Plug: RG/FBG Show (1 Viewer)

John Lee

Footballguy
In the event that you haven't yet seen it, Footballguys has partnered up with RotoGrinders to put together a weekly videocast (also available via podcast on the RG feed) entitled, "The Footballguys' Daily Fantasy Hour, hosted by RotoGrinders."

We recorded our third episode last night, covering topics like injury situations, Week #2 takes, recency biases, projected ownerships for FD, WR-CB matchups to avoid/exploit, takes on tonight's (TNF) matchup, and our 'bold predictions' for Week #3.

RotoGrinders has done a great job of producing the show and we have worked hard at generating a format that isn't simply making DFS selections (although we do a bit of that too). The intent was to build a show around the game we love to watch (football) and tie it into the games we love to play (DFS). It's certainly not perfect, but there aren't many other shows out there doing what we're doing with this one...

If you haven't already given it a watch/listen, I'd love for you to do so and give us some feedback either here or on Twitter (@tipandpick). Thanks!

https://youtu.be/DWUnpTYizPk

Last edited by a moderator:
That links to the old show from wk2

**Link is now edited**

Missed the week 1 show but very much enjoyed the week 2 show. I also had projected Romo quite high week 2 although not 400 Yards and 4 TDs :shock: , he hurt me in a few spots but managed to do very well last although 2 0f my 3 top QB plays bombed(Bradford being the other). I do my own projections but very much like to hear others opinions as you can never have too much information.

Missed the week 1 show but very much enjoyed the week 2 show. I also had projected Romo quite high week 2 although not 400 Yards and 4 TDs :shock: , he hurt me in a few spots but managed to do very well last although 2 0f my 3 top QB plays bombed(Bradford being the other). I do my own projections but very much like to hear others opinions as you can never have too much information.
Agreed, jandy...I do hope it is not lost on the viewers that our "Bold Predictions" are exactly that--bold (and not based on projections). It's a fun thing to wrap up the show with and should be used as a barometer on who we are most bullish on...but I would not necessarily call them reasonable predictions.

Thanks for watching...keep the feedback coming.

Agreed, jandy...I do hope it is not lost on the viewers that our "Bold Predictions" are exactly that--bold (and not based on projections). It's a fun thing to wrap up the show with and should be used as a barometer on who we are most bullish on...but I would not necessarily call them reasonable predictions.

Thanks for watching...keep the feedback coming.
I would think most people understand the bold predictions for what they are. From the Romo prediction I would of just made the assumption you liked Romo in week 2 and that the 400/4 was more like a maximum ceiling projection than a actual performance projection. Overall though the show is full of information and well done. The FBG podcasts are a good listen when I am riding my bike in the morning.

Feedback, watched all 3-

(Sorry I don't know names or remember names well. I am bald myself.)

Bald guy-super comfortable. In a past life, he was definitely a news broadcaster. Doesn't always offer opinion. When he does offer his opinion it seems wise.

Middle guy- Somewhat shy, soft spoken, needs to get comfy in front of camera. Best of the three IMO, nicely cuts right to "why" and doesn't ramble. The BEJ logo was amusing right behind him, glad he moved his chair.

Lee- oh so smiley week 1 like a kid in candy store. Contributes well. Very agreeable which I'm not sure if it's a good thing.

Bald guy has professional looking backdrop or amazing window view which totally trumps the other two and makes them look amateurish. I prefer the latter. I'll take Bloom at home over Eisen in studio anyday, but there is a difference in how it looks.

3 guys agreeing on something over and over doesn't make for as good a show as knowledgable debate or even if there's little discussion just "I don't like this QB this week, CBs too strong" and leave it at that. Sometimes it's too 'buddy buddy' positive. I don't know how you react here to make a suggestion umm...maybe you all agree, so all three offer a different reason why? maybe before the show figure out some things you don't agree on?

Two sides to every story- bald guy could be the differing view.

I've thought about the segments on the show and can't think if you can do it differently. It seems fine, but just the same I do go back and listen. If Lee says "Luck blah blah blah" I might think wait didn't he say...and scroll back to what you said previously on luck.

I watch a bunch of shows, some suggestions that follow are not necessarily from just this one-

I think percentages would make a good debate. Example-Lacy ownership is extremely low, Tom Brady is extremely high. I can understand the logic in jumping on the train so as no one gets an edge with Brady. I can understand the logic with going Lacy because few have him. Could also be to gronk or not to gronk.

I'd like to hear injuries when someone says "Is 5th best at shutting down ...." Names like Revis will get mentioned but if starting CBs are hurt, I don't think their passing D ranking is the same or applicable and...something in here to discuss

Vegas line often times has several games with same O/U. It's a pet peeve of mine when 7 games are supposed to score 45 total points and someone only mentions it about one game as if that game is special. This is oddly common this year.

I like the chart of what the show will cover and that it's revisited.

Cowboys look like they stink right now. No one is going to start a Cowboy is simply not true. The cheapies always get squeezed into DFS lineups and these are starters. Gotta break them down, not just gloss over.

Abdullah was the darling of week one, not much in week two. Why? If you praised a few guys then the following week I think you should touch on how ya feel about the performance. Off week, not as good as I thought, D was better than expected etc. Matt Jones probably qualifies here. Most DFS shows won't even discuss him much next week but every one loved him Wednesday.

I'd like to hear "I went with soandso (who is cheap) so I had enough money to go with player X(who is expensive)" Doesn't always have to be individual player. Could be a new feature combo plays or somesuch.

Kickers and Defenses are annoying in DFS getting 15-20 points while yours gets little to nothing. I've "nailed" some lineups with QB RB WR TE and then fell considerably due to K and D. The chances of picking the best (or almost the best) at all the other spots is slim so it stings when ya get them right and your D stunk it up. You have to include these just like I have to listen to them and not just RB WR, it's necessary.

I would like one of you to adopt the lineup tool at RG, have Lee's version or somesuch and weed out a ton of players. I don't want to check or uncheck 400 players to be included. Lee's version could be without 30 3rd string TEs and 5th WRs and the injured guys and...more focused. I do understand why it's there for everyone, just saying a nice alternative would be this.

Hope this helps.

I have now watched all three as well and still feel they full of good information. Agree with the above poster that the Roto Grinders guy is the smoothest. Im guessing he is also the most experienced with doing this although information wise he may offer the least to the show. I don't know if John is shy as the above poster said but he probably shows the least emotion and appears the least naturally comfortable in front of the camera but that may be something that comes more with time, not sure he has done this much. I think he offers the best information of three. In the last show he disagreed with the other 2 on a player don't remember who and it might of been an opportunity to do what the above poster brought up and actually discuss why they disagreed. Wouldn't have to be in a combative way just a expanded discussion on a player they didn't all like.

Possibly before the show they could find a player or 2 they don't agree on and bring them up intentionally, maybe in a separate segment. This could be helpful as players they don't agreed may be ones the average player struggles with and a discussion could help them figure it out. I know when people disagree with my projections it makes me take a second look and while it may not change my mind just looking at it again may help me lock in my projection.

Oh and I do agree the intro is pretty bad.

Oops didn't mention the third guy, Austin I think. He appears very comfortable in front of the camera but his super happy personality makes him come off even younger and unfairly I know probably makes him appear less professional (knowledgeable). I am just saying appear less knowledgeable as I think he actually provides good information.

Keep good the job work I enjoy the show

Overall keep up the good work.

Feedback, watched all 3-

(Sorry I don't know names or remember names well. I am bald myself.)

Bald guy-super comfortable. In a past life, he was definitely a news broadcaster. Doesn't always offer opinion. When he does offer his opinion it seems wise.

You nailed it. DB had his own radio show for years before starting a daily podcast in the DFS industry in 2011; since then, he's been on thousands of DFS podcasts and videos. He currently has several shows on Sirius/XM Fantasy Sports radio. That is why he is so polished (and knows his stuff)...but his function on this show is the 'host,' which is why he sometimes takes a backseat to the 'analysts.'

Middle guy- Somewhat shy, soft spoken, needs to get comfy in front of camera. Best of the three IMO, nicely cuts right to "why" and doesn't ramble. The BEJ logo was amusing right behind him, glad he moved his chair.

You nailed this one too...I am a scientist by trade and being in front of a camera, particularly at my normal bedtime, is not easy. I'm going to try to get some extra sleep on Wednesdays before the show, so that I can be a bit more "awake" when we're recording.

Lee- oh so smiley week 1 like a kid in candy store. Contributes well. Very agreeable which I'm not sure if it's a good thing.

On the West coast, Austin is wide-awake and probably giddy coming out of his regular job.

Bald guy has professional looking backdrop or amazing window view which totally trumps the other two and makes them look amateurish. I prefer the latter. I'll take Bloom at home over Eisen in studio anyday, but there is a difference in how it looks.

3 guys agreeing on something over and over doesn't make for as good a show as knowledgable debate or even if there's little discussion just "I don't like this QB this week, CBs too strong" and leave it at that. Sometimes it's too 'buddy buddy' positive. I don't know how you react here to make a suggestion umm...maybe you all agree, so all three offer a different reason why? maybe before the show figure out some things you don't agree on?

Two sides to every story- bald guy could be the differing view.

I understand what you're getting at here and we might try to incorporate something like this over the next few weeks. I don't agree with your conclusion that we agree on everything...there have certainly been times when Dan has called out my projected ownership numbers as being way off (for example). Last week, Dan and Austin made a bet on who would be the best QB on the Week #3 slate (another example). That said, I think this is a good suggestion and I'm going to give it some more thought, as to how to incorporate a bit more debate into the show.

I will say that the three of us have never worked together before and perhaps some of what you're seeing (agreeable personalities) is a product of us trying to establish a rapport; as we become more comfortable with each other and how we see things, some of that debate you're seeking may come naturally, too.

I've thought about the segments on the show and can't think if you can do it differently. It seems fine, but just the same I do go back and listen. If Lee says "Luck blah blah blah" I might think wait didn't he say...and scroll back to what you said previously on luck.

I watch a bunch of shows, some suggestions that follow are not necessarily from just this one-

I think percentages would make a good debate. Example-Lacy ownership is extremely low, Tom Brady is extremely high. I can understand the logic in jumping on the train so as no one gets an edge with Brady. I can understand the logic with going Lacy because few have him. Could also be to gronk or not to gronk.

I'd like to hear injuries when someone says "Is 5th best at shutting down ...." Names like Revis will get mentioned but if starting CBs are hurt, I don't think their passing D ranking is the same or applicable and...something in here to discuss

If you read my work here on FBG (Tips and Picks), you know that I'm big on this kind of analysis...but it has been too early to really start digging hardcore into analytics just yet because the sample size has been too small and, therefore, unreliable. You will definitely hear more of this as we move forward because those stats/metrics will become more reliable with a larger sample size.

Vegas line often times has several games with same O/U. It's a pet peeve of mine when 7 games are supposed to score 45 total points and someone only mentions it about one game as if that game is special. This is oddly common this year.

I like the chart of what the show will cover and that it's revisited.

Cowboys look like they stink right now. No one is going to start a Cowboy is simply not true. The cheapies always get squeezed into DFS lineups and these are starters. Gotta break them down, not just gloss over.

There are dozens of shows that go game-by-game and dissect every value play for every team. We are trying to get away from that format to some degree and talk more about football, while always having a DFS tie-in. Sometimes we may do a better job of achieving that goal than others, but the intent of the show is to create a discussion surrounding teams, injury situations, matchups, etc, so as to identify potential areas to target with your DFS selections later in the week.

If you want a breakdown of each position with deeper analysis of selections, etc, I am on another show at 11:30 AM (EST) on Sunday mornings on RotoGrinders...that is a much better (and timelier) source for that kind of information.

Abdullah was the darling of week one, not much in week two. Why? If you praised a few guys then the following week I think you should touch on how ya feel about the performance. Off week, not as good as I thought, D was better than expected etc. Matt Jones probably qualifies here. Most DFS shows won't even discuss him much next week but every one loved him Wednesday.

I thought we were doing this with our bold predictions and a few other things, but maybe we aren't driving it home well enough...I'll revisit and reconsider.

I'd like to hear "I went with soandso (who is cheap) so I had enough money to go with player X(who is expensive)" Doesn't always have to be individual player. Could be a new feature combo plays or some such.

Kickers and Defenses are annoying in DFS getting 15-20 points while yours gets little to nothing. I've "nailed" some lineups with QB RB WR TE and then fell considerably due to K and D. The chances of picking the best (or almost the best) at all the other spots is slim so it stings when ya get them right and your D stunk it up. You have to include these just like I have to listen to them and not just RB WR, it's necessary.

Again, the intent of the show is not necessarily to do a detailed game-by-game DFS summary...we could pick defenses, but would like to do it as part of a larger discussion about the state of an opposing offense due to injuries, positional battles, ineptitude, etc.

I would like one of you to adopt the lineup tool at RG, have Lee's version or somesuch and weed out a ton of players. I don't want to check or uncheck 400 players to be included. Lee's version could be without 30 3rd string TEs and 5th WRs and the injured guys and...more focused. I do understand why it's there for everyone, just saying a nice alternative would be this.

Interestingly enough, I have a sit-down scheduled with the RG brass this week to provide feedback on their lineup builder. I agree with your comments, although I don't know how they can reasonably be incorporated without eliminating somebody else's potential sleeper selection(s).

Hope this helps.

It does--thank you!
I have now watched all three as well and still feel they full of good information. Agree with the above poster that the Roto Grinders guy is the smoothest. Im guessing he is also the most experienced with doing this although information wise he may offer the least to the show. I don't know if John is shy as the above poster said but he probably shows the least emotion and appears the least naturally comfortable in front of the camera but that may be something that comes more with time, not sure he has done this much. I think he offers the best information of three. In the last show he disagreed with the other 2 on a player don't remember who and it might of been an opportunity to do what the above poster brought up and actually discuss why they disagreed. Wouldn't have to be in a combative way just a expanded discussion on a player they didn't all like.

Shy? Perhaps...I honestly think it's more about the time that we record (9:30 PM), which is when I'm normally headed to bed (I'm old); I think my appearances on the RGLive shows on Sunday mornings are a bit more animated, but maybe not. Unfortunately, 9:30 PM was the only time we could all get together because of our respective work schedules. That said, I do have the least experience of the three, as both of the other guys have had their own podcasts in the past (or present)...but I fully recognize I have the most room for improvement.

Possibly before the show they could find a player or 2 they don't agree on and bring them up intentionally, maybe in a separate segment. This could be helpful as players they don't agreed may be ones the average player struggles with and a discussion could help them figure it out. I know when people disagree with my projections it makes me take a second look and while it may not change my mind just looking at it again may help me lock in my projection.

Oh and I do agree the intro is pretty bad.

Oops didn't mention the third guy, Austin I think. He appears very comfortable in front of the camera but his super happy personality makes him come off even younger and unfairly I know probably makes him appear less professional (knowledgeable). I am just saying appear less knowledgeable as I think he actually provides good information.

Happy people. Umph. ;)

Keep good the job work I enjoy the show

Overall keep up the good work.
Just wanted to pop in here and say 'thanks' for the feedback...it's tough to know where we can improve without hearing some criticism from the end user (even if they're sometimes hard to read).

Some individuals comments are sprinkled in above (in bold)...

I saw and then missed...there's a show with one or two of you and Cecil? When's that? Video or just audio/podcast?

Something came up, lost my place, can't find it now

I saw and then missed...there's a show with one or two of you and Cecil? When's that? Video or just audio/podcast?

Something came up, lost my place, can't find it now
Cecil (Lammey) hosts a podcast with Jeff Pasquino and myself every Thursday evening that goes live on Friday morning on "The Audible" feed. We go position-by-position for the DraftKings' site, talking about cash game and GPP selections.

If you're currently plugged into that show (RSS feed), you're all set and it'll be in your iPod/iPhone/etc every Friday morning.

Enjoyed the show. I will looking for Austin to win that bet though as I will have Williams pretty much everywhere on DK and at least in some lineups on FantasyScore where his price is considerable higher.

An hour after recording the show's 17th and final episode for 2015, I wanted to thank those of you who supported the show each week. I think it evolved nicely and Dan, Austin, and I generated some nice chemistry over the course of the season. We certainly enjoyed ourselves, but I think the analysis was top-notch for a show recorded on Wednesday nights (I am admittedly biased).

The last episode can be viewed here or you can download it via iTunes on the Daily Fantasy Fix podcast on RotoGrinders.

We had a lot of fun with "dubsmashes" this season, where we would make a fantasy-related bet one week and the loser had to lip-sync a song of the winner's choice the following week. Tonight, we shared a compilation of those efforts in our season finale. Enjoy: https://youtu.be/F0YiQp9KroQ

Thanks again for supporting the show.

-TnP

Didn't catch all the shows but enjoyed the ones I did see and found them informative. Keep up the good work next season.

Users who are viewing this thread