What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hurricane Joaquin - Eagles vs Redskins game possibly affected (1 Viewer)

Both teams have a Week 8 bye. I wonder how long the NFL will wait before they make a decision.

Both teams have a Week 8 bye. I wonder how long the NFL will wait before they make a decision.
That's one of the contingency plans. Which would totally F a lot of people including their darling jewel Draftkings.

That's one of the contingency plans. Which would totally F a lot of people including their darling jewel Draftkings.
For that reason it would not happen. They would move the game before they would screw Draftkings.
What does DraftKings have to do with this?
EVERYTHING

For that reason it would not happen. They would move the game before they would screw Draftkings.
$$$$$ <----- that green

Have you been hiding under a rock?

Hmm...shades of Ravens/Texans and Hurricane Ike in 2008.

Hopefully Joaquin will just stay the heck away and it won't be an issue, but if something changes, I really hope they decide early.

Pretty much this. DraftKings runs the NFL. More than the owners, the fans, the sponsors, Goodell... they outrank everyone.

I can't wait until the superbowl where all of the highly sought after ad time will just be replaced with DraftKings ad after DraftKings ad.

Is there a chance the players could drown? Why is a rainstorm an issue?

Last edited by a moderator:
Living in Miami. Know what DraftKings is. Are we saying that DK has any influence on how the NFL will make storm contingencies. I must be naive but I think that's ridiculous

It is not the players that the NFL is worried about, they will be fine. It is the 60,000 spectators, the traffic, the gridlock and the ignoring of mandatory hurricane evacuation that may occur if they play the game.

I'm just assuming that if the game gets postponed, they'll run 3 continuous hours of DK commercials. We're heading that way already.

One of the leagues that I play in might get really messed up by this. In this particular league we are only allowed 2 add/drops per week--and our waivers have already ran. If this game gets shifted to week 8--there might be some incomplete starting lineups in that league. In any case--getting back to the main point--I'm not sure if the players union would be okay with just playing the game on week 8 when both week have bye weeks. Players are supposed to have time off for bye weeks--and both teams have been and are preparing this week. If the game gets switched to week 8---all of the involved players would basically be losing their allotted time off. I'm not sure if moving the game to week 8 would be that easy for the NFL to do. In reality--it would probably be preferable to move the game to a neutral location or to set up a double header Monday night-or something to that effect.

It is not the players that the NFL is worried about, they will be fine. It is the 60,000 spectators, the traffic, the gridlock and the ignoring of mandatory hurricane evacuation that may occur if they play the game.
If the NFL cared about spectators and gridlock they would have never built Fedex in the first place. It sucks to go there for a game.

If the NFL cared about spectators and gridlock they would have never built Fedex in the first place. It sucks to go there for a game.
:goodposting: Nothing like waiting in traffic for 2 hours to visit a stadium that looks like it was built 50 years ago.

are all eastern cities affected by this? I haven't really even heard much about this hurricane and its severity

I don't see how the bye weeks are even an option. So both teams have byes week 8. If they give them a bye week this week, week 4 instead, the teams really didn't get the benefit of a bye week break. They still practice all week like they were going to play a game. Then come Monday, they have to get ready for their opponent for week 5. I say 0% of having the bye weeks switched. Options are moving the game, or playing the game Monday or Tuesday.

They could play Saturday evening before the storm hits the Washington area, or Monday night after the worst should be gone. I would think both of those options are more likely than using the bye weeks. Another posible option might be to flip home dates, but the viability of that might depend on a lot of other factors and that decision would need to come sooner rather than later.

But :lmao: at Draftkings having anythng to do with the decision. Can't folks change their lineups?

are all eastern cities affected by this? I haven't really even heard much about this hurricane and its severity
It's a CAT 3 now, expected to hit CAt 4 soon. Right now best guess has it over the outer banks early Sunday...would definately create havoc in DC Sunday afternoon but I don't think any other games would be significantly affected.

I'm in Hampton Roads....dead center of the middle of the possible tracks right now and paying close attention. It's been raining heavily here all week and wouldn't take winds all that strong to wreak absolute havoc here with the ground already saturated. Last time a storm like this hit after this kind of rain a lot of people here were without power for WEEKS. Tree-magedon.

They could play Saturday evening before the storm hits the Washington area, or Monday night after the worst should be gone. I would think both of those options are more likely than using the bye weeks. Another posible option might be to flip home dates, but the viability of that might depend on a lot of other factors and that decision would need to come sooner rather than later.

But :lmao: at Draftkings having anythng to do with the decision. Can't folks change their lineups?
Exactly. A postponed game doesnt affect vegas, they still get their rake. You could argue that it will increase their overlay but given how much they are spending on media im pretty sure they arent concerned in the slightest.

houston said:
I'd guess they play mon or tues before they move sites or weeks.
No

It will most certainly be flooded then. Heavy rain followed by a hurricane all but guarantees flooding issues.

IMO NFL should have switched it to Saturday earlier this week then everyone can get safe Sunday and be with their families

Moving it to Monday may not work. That's when it's projected to hit the DC area. However, it looks like it's starting to track away from DC at the moment.

Kevrunner said:
I don't see how the bye weeks are even an option. So both teams have byes week 8. If they give them a bye week this week, week 4 instead, the teams really didn't get the benefit of a bye week break. They still practice all week like they were going to play a game. Then come Monday, they have to get ready for their opponent for week 5. I say 0% of having the bye weeks switched. Options are moving the game, or playing the game Monday or Tuesday.
The lack of a scheduled bye week is a good point, and I'm sure the Eagles and Redskins will be playing that hand with the league.

My guess is that they will find a neutral site on Sunday or Monday rather than move the game to another week. Much like they did with the Bills/Jets game last year in Detroit after that freak snowstorm in Buffalo.

I wish the best for the folks in VA. Good luck. - Ok let's say the storm slides east, it could still dump a ton of rain on the game right? Could be a FF slopfest if played on Sunday anyway.

mr roboto said:
JackReacher said:
ImTheScientist said:
Insein said:
Ashem said:
I don't play daily but can't you change your lineup submissions up until kickoff? Why would DraftKings care if that game was moved to Week 8?

Why can't they play Saturday? TV? Fans?
Saturday isn't a whole lot better. Basically starting tomorrow here through Saturday, there's forecasted to be 3-6" of rain in the DC area. And that's not including whatever the hurricane may bring.

mr roboto said:
JackReacher said:
ImTheScientist said:
Insein said:
Ashem said:
I don't play daily but can't you change your lineup submissions up until kickoff? Why would DraftKings care if that game was moved to Week 8?
Yes.

I imagine Fanduel could take a little hit this week as people want this option DraftKings offers.

What about playing the game in Philly and then swapping the next Philly/Redskins game. Not ideal but maybe? I don't know if the storm will impact Philly much.

What about playing the game in Philly and then swapping the next Philly/Redskins game. Not ideal but maybe? I don't know if the storm will impact Philly much.
Gotta be tough for season ticket holders, and those that were planning to go to the week 16 game. I also don't know how hard it would be to fully staff, and get the field, etc ready in a couple days. It is the NFL and they probably can work very quickly but I don't really see them trying to pull that off.

The bye week thing is also terrible. LIke someone said above, it takes away both teams' bye weeks. We could really use ours right before heading to Dallas too.

Kevrunner said:
The lack of a scheduled bye week is a good point, and I'm sure the Eagles and Redskins will be playing that hand with the league.

My guess is that they will find a neutral site on Sunday or Monday rather than move the game to another week. Much like they did with the Bills/Jets game last year in Detroit after that freak snowstorm in Buffalo.
Monday would probably be easier for this to find a venue and have the NFL's full attention getting that all set up and ready rather then a busy Sunday.

What neutral site would be a possibility? Let's fly em to London! :P

Philly is actually further East and near the coast than DC. Probably not much of a difference weather wise.

Users who are viewing this thread