Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Daywalker

The Bill Simmons Podcast

I miss Cousin Sal. Can't get into his gambling podcast for whatever reason. 

The Rewatchables is a pretty great podcast imo. 

If it weren’t for Boston sports, random 80s movies and wrestling, Bill Simmons would have no clue how to process the world around him. It’s literally his entire frame of reference.

• Like 1

bosoxs45 said:

Why would someone want to stalk Bill Simmons?

Because the guy was mentally unstable and Simmons fired him?

7 hours ago, pollardsvision said:

The bolded statements seem weird together.

He just had a podcast with Kyrie. His Oakley and Durant podcasts were fantastic. Lou Adler, recently too, with his "knowledge bank" of about 60 years of NBA.

And it's the Sal/House/JackO podcasts that you most look forward too? I like those guys a lot too, but they aren't exactly high commodity high access guys. 

Overall, the Ringer's podcasts are pretty solid, even if the NBA one does have a lot of kids. I'd imagine they'll get even better when the ESPN morning show gets axed and he can get Jalen back in the fold. And Lowe back would obviously be great if that could ever happen.

Sal/House/JackO are a different animal.  Like being a fly on the wall and hearing friends passionately talk sports.  They all also do know their sports.  It's also fun to hear about their personal lives which often include celebrity stories.  

Jalen was brutal.  He can stick where he is.

Lowe is one of best in business.  Often listening to Bill and 25-year-ol-college-alumnus-homer-guy talk hoops and think to myself why did I not listen to Lowe interview Arnovitz about the days' events.

I didn't say Bill doesn't ever have good guests..  Oak was great.  I didn't finish Kyrie.  Was bored.  What i mean is many commentators are not allowed to go on his show.  Bill has even started to go solo on pods which are tough to get through.

1 hour ago, Moe. said:

I miss Cousin Sal. Can't get into his gambling podcast for whatever reason. 

The Rewatchables is a pretty great podcast imo. 

Billions recap show was good for monday morning drive to work.  Westworld too.

Looking forward to The Rewatchables.  But going to wait until I'm in the mood to watch one of the movies first.  Seen Heat a million times.  Almost ready to watch again.  

On 6/19/2018 at 4:38 PM, Good Posting Judge said:

He said something recently about how teams keep screwing up and taking players who are obviously going to be bad, and that they just can't seem to get it right!

Uh: 

Bill all over my Twitter feed the last two days making Doncic sound like the next coming of Larry Joe, or Dirk, or Rubio.  So...unfortunately can probably write Doncic off.  

"...Then Bill sits down with his daughter, Zoe Simmons, and comedian, actor, and director Bo Burnham."

lmaoooooooo

• Like 1

His Thrown to the Mat in Vegas is some of the funniest stuff ever.  I used to print it out and read it on my way to Vegas trips.  I haven't listened to his podcast.  Maybe I should.  

1 hour ago, nirad3 said:

His Thrown to the Mat in Vegas is some of the funniest stuff ever.  I used to print it out and read it on my way to Vegas trips.  I haven't listened to his podcast.  Maybe I should.  

RIP 

Oh thank God, Simmons posted another NBA podcast.  In the last week of July.  How could we ever survive until, say....the first week of October, without hearing his thoughts on this dbag league's last 14 days?  Sigh.  One trick nbA-hole.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, facook said:

Oh thank God, Simmons posted another NBA podcast.  In the last week of July.  How could we ever survive until, say....the first week of October, without hearing his thoughts on this dbag league's last 14 days?  Sigh.  One trick nbA-hole.

Listening to his podcast is optional 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JuniorGong said:

Listening to his podcast is optional 

I haven't been.

• Like 1

He had Matthew Berry on this week for the first time since he left ESPN. I always find their dynamic fascinating.

I have mixed feelings about Berry; he deserves a lot of respect as one of the fantasy OGs, and has arguably done more than anyone else to help make fantasy mainstream. But his quirks can get annoying, particularly now that he no longer has Nate Ravitz to rein him in. Too often it feels like he's self-consciously playing a character. His co-hosts either let him spout off or, at worst, roll their eyes.

Simmons, though, isn't afraid to call him out. Their podcasts have the distinct vibe of a dorky freshman desperately trying to impress the captain of the football team (not that Simmons is all that cool, but that's how Berry treats him -- and based on some of the stories they told on the most recent podcast, it's somewhat understandable, since Simmons really did boost his career at ESPN.) There are some similarities to Trump's appearances on Howard Stern back in the '90s, where Stern took advantage of Trump's neediness to get him to say increasingly outrageous things. Obviously, neither Simmons nor Berry are as fascinating characters as Stern and Trump, but the pairing does make for more interesting listening.

1 hour ago, zftcg said:

He had Matthew Berry on this week for the first time since he left ESPN. I always find their dynamic fascinating.

I have mixed feelings about Berry; he deserves a lot of respect as one of the fantasy OGs, and has arguably done more than anyone else to help make fantasy mainstream. But his quirks can get annoying, particularly now that he no longer has Nate Ravitz to rein him in. Too often it feels like he's self-consciously playing a character. His co-hosts either let him spout off or, at worst, roll their eyes.

Simmons, though, isn't afraid to call him out. Their podcasts have the distinct vibe of a dorky freshman desperately trying to impress the captain of the football team (not that Simmons is all that cool, but that's how Berry treats him -- and based on some of the stories they told on the most recent podcast, it's somewhat understandable, since Simmons really did boost his career at ESPN.) There are some similarities to Trump's appearances on Howard Stern back in the '90s, where Stern took advantage of Trump's neediness to get him to say increasingly outrageous things. Obviously, neither Simmons nor Berry are as fascinating characters as Stern and Trump, but the pairing does make for more interesting listening.

More important, what did Simmons' daughter have to say?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, zftcg said:

I have it on good authority from my pals in the greater Hartford area that Matthew Berry will try to scam on your lady.

10 hours ago, zftcg said:

Also like Stern, Simmons interrupted Berry about once every 6 sentences.  Brutal.

And I still regularly listen to Simmons, although I'm a lot more likely to just delete episodes or bail a few minutes in than I used to.  But I really found this one bad.

1 hour ago, Good Posting Judge said:

I have it on good authority from my pals in the greater Hartford area that Matthew Berry will try to scam on your lady.

Hadn't heard that, but it wouldn't shock me. Berry has a whiff of that Tiger Woods "I used to be nerdy, but now I think I'm hot s##t and can get girls" insecurity (at a far smaller scale, obviously.)

The top 100 episode list was awful. The girl in charge should have been pulled off the project immediately for trying to pull all that Dawson’s a Creek stuff, not to mention the OC, and all the garbage reality shows. 

3 hours ago, bigmarc27 said:

The top 100 episode list was awful. The girl in charge should have been pulled off the project immediately for trying to pull all that Dawson’s a Creek stuff, not to mention the OC, and all the garbage reality shows. 

You mean like Real World/Road Rules Challenge?

@Frostillicus, @lumpy19

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bigmarc27 said:

Honestly the worst list I’ve ever seen in my life. Must’ve been shtick. The greatest breaking bad episode after the OC. :lmao: 

• Like 1

the podcast made more sense after reading the full list - I didnt realize this at first  :lol:

11 hours ago, bigmarc27 said:

I mean, yeah, but the whole point of doing a list like that is to tick people off and get them talking about it.

I haven't listened to the podcast with Katie Nolan, and I think Katie Nolan is a perfectly competent sports talking-person, but is the good bulk of Katie Nolan's career predicated on the fact that most sports media dudes want to have sexual intercourse with Katie Nolan?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Good Posting Judge said:

I haven't listened to the podcast with Katie Nolan, and I think Katie Nolan is a perfectly competent sports talking-person, but is the good bulk of Katie Nolan's career predicated on the fact that most sports media dudes want to have sexual intercourse with Katie Nolan?

:yes:

19 minutes ago, Good Posting Judge said:

She’s a caricature of “just one of the guys... but really hot.”  In some regards, I think that makes me think she’s kind of phony, even though she’s personally done nothing to warrant it. I’ve known that type before though, and after awhile they’ve always wrapped around to the other end of the spectrum, then they microwave your valuables and steal your kitchen knives. 

Edited by bigmarc27

1 hour ago, Good Posting Judge said:

at least one of the fans does too

4 hours ago, Good Posting Judge said:

She's funny - I like her.  I'm a Dave Lozo fan, too, and he'll be writing for her show.

54 minutes ago, Tick said:

She's funny - I like her. 

No disagreement here, and I don't mean this to disparage her. More to disparage...dudes.

Pretty fun to listen to Simmons trash Josh Gordon just hours before Gordon was traded to the Evil Empire.

Listened to his picks pod today and he went on and on and on about how Minnesota was a guaranteed gambling win and the Bills wouldn’t score 10 points and then he tweeted today he’s on the Vikes -16.5. 

Then after the game ended on twitter...

My bad... I stayed away from Vikes -16.5 (and thank god) and took Bucs -1.5 instead

:lmao: 

Edited by Capella
  • Like 5

23 minutes ago, Capella said:

Listened to his picks pod today and he went on and on and on about how Minnesota was a guaranteed gambling win and the Bills wouldn’t score 10 points and then he tweeted today he’s on the Vikes -16.5. 

My bad... I stayed away from Vikes -16.5 (and thank god) and took Bucs -1.5 instead

Yeah, this makes no sense. He could have just tweeted something self deprecating about Buffalo sticking this one up his ###. Probably less than 1% of the NFL viewing population saw this coming. I don't think anyone would blame him for being off on that game, but this ranks up there with his coming at Jonah Keri's MLB trade value column in the "WTF are you thinking" category.

Even if he actually stayed away from Minnesota, that's just a really, really stupid tweet. I've been getting back into Simmons recently, but his flaws are going to stay his flaws. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Capella said:

Man that is some bull####. He is getting dragged for it as well.

• Like 1

Here's his most recent tweet about this:

Bill Simmons‏Verified account @BillSimmons 3m3 minutes

Didn’t have the Bengals - had the Bucs +1.5, remembered it wrong. You know what was a bad pick/bet? The Vikings

Was that so hard? He could have just said that from the beginning. As douchey as his tweet was, I have a bigger problem with dudes who purport to give gambling advice and then don't bet that way. This happened to one of Cousin Sal's guys a few weeks ago. I'm fine if you say, "I'm not confident on this. I don't know if I'll bet it, but I think ____." But if you say "this is one of my three best picks of the week, and I gamble a lot," then you should probably be laying that money down. Or at least never acknowledge that you aren't putting your cash where your mouth is on a podcast that more than funds whatever gambling you do in a year.

• Like 2

literally no one knows anything about gambling 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Rirruto said:

Yeah, this makes no sense. He could have just tweeted something self deprecating about Buffalo sticking this one up his ###. Probably less than 1% of the NFL viewing population saw this coming. I don't think anyone would blame him for being off on that game, but this ranks up there with his coming at Jonah Keri's MLB trade value column in the "WTF are you thinking" category.

Even if he actually stayed away from Minnesota, that's just a really, really stupid tweet. I've been getting back into Simmons recently, but his flaws are going to stay his flaws. 

Such a classic "only child" move.

Part of the appeal of the Sal and Bill pod is that they are not good at gambling and they are relatable by having reasonable logic for their bets only to watch bets go sideways just like the rest of us. 

With that, that tweet on min buf game was dumb. He was all in on that pick. 

Only saving grace is that he didn't explain the outcome via 'no one believes in us' theory... Yet 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Brony said:

Part of the appeal of the Sal and Bill pod is that they are not good at gambling and they are relatable by having reasonable logic for their bets only to watch bets go sideways just like the rest of us. 

With that, that tweet on min buf game was dumb. He was all in on that pick. 

Only saving grace is that he didn't explain the outcome via 'no one believes in us' theory... Yet 

This is true. Also for whenever Sal cracks on his failed hbo show. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rirruto said:

Here's his most recent tweet about this:

Was that so hard? He could have just said that from the beginning. As douchey as his tweet was, I have a bigger problem with dudes who purport to give gambling advice and then don't bet that way. This happened to one of Cousin Sal's guys a few weeks ago. I'm fine if you say, "I'm not confident on this. I don't know if I'll bet it, but I think ____." But if you say "this is one of my three best picks of the week, and I gamble a lot," then you should probably be laying that money down. Or at least never acknowledge that you aren't putting your cash where your mouth is on a podcast that more than funds whatever gambling you do in a year.

So now he DID bet the Vikes, right after he gets mauled for going on and on about the Vikes and not betting them? And he deletes the initial tweet? Yikes.

Speaking of winning bettors, congrats on your Josh Allen OROY bets @lumpy19.

5 hours ago, mr. furley said:

literally no one knows anything about gambling 

I know that if you gamble, and you post picks for public consumption, that you should have money on those picks. Don't give me this "Oh I changed my mind" bull####, your mind should be made up when you tell everyone what your plays are.

Sho Kimura -150.

• Like 1