Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Daywalker

The Bill Simmons Podcast

On 9/23/2018 at 4:31 PM, Capella said:

Listened to his picks pod today and he went on and on and on about how Minnesota was a guaranteed gambling win and the Bills wouldn’t score 10 points and then he tweeted today he’s on the Vikes -16.5. 

Then after the game ended on twitter...

My bad... I stayed away from Vikes -16.5 (and thank god) and took Bucs -1.5 instead

:lmao: 

I took this as a joke, but it’s hard to tell with simmons.  He really does take himself that seriously to try and back out like that after the game is over.

I got a huge kick out of him playing the “I GAVE UP FOOTBALL FOR YOU” card on his son. Not just that he would say that, but he’d have no shame in admitting it to thousands of listeners on the pod. Legendary levels of unapologetic ########ery being reached.

• Like 2

On 9/28/2018 at 5:07 PM, Peyton Marino said:

I took this as a joke, but it’s hard to tell with simmons.  He really does take himself that seriously to try and back out like that after the game is over.

I got a huge kick out of him playing the “I GAVE UP FOOTBALL FOR YOU” card on his son. Not just that he would say that, but he’d have no shame in admitting it to thousands of listeners on the pod. Legendary levels of unapologetic ########ery being reached.

Today (#### me for getting sucked in) he said that betting on the Dolphins to "buy a (Pats) win." That is a ####### insane level of narcissism.

• Like 1

That kid never had a chance. 

His podcast used to be a "must listen". Now I'll download it if I remember, but I rarely listen all the way through to the end.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

His podcast used to be a "must listen". Now I'll download it if I remember, but I rarely listen all the way through to the end.

Used to listen to all of 'em.  Now I can't recall the last time I listened to one.  Rogan completely replaced him.

5 hours ago, [scooter] said:

I just listen to Sal. Had to re-subscribe a few weeks ago. 

• Like 2

I love the rewatchables.

And I can't believe you guys are blasting him for the "I gave up football".

He admitted at the end he can't believe he said that shrug

15 hours ago, belljr said:

I love the rewatchables.

Pretty ####ty to say that in the first place. Especially because football is garbage.

I listened to the Rewatchables for Rounders and apparently there's a character named "Grandma." :confused:

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, belljr said:

I love the rewatchables.

The rewatchables is probably my favorite podcast. I love it, sucks that they seem like they’ll take a break from it soon. 

1 hour ago, Good Posting Judge said:

Pretty ####ty to say that in the first place. Especially because football is garbage.

I listened to the Rewatchables for Rounders and apparently there's a character named "Grandma." :confused:

Yep, he is a big enough part of the movie. He wore the red one piece full long underwear. 

48 minutes ago, dino259 said:

Yep, he is a big enough part of the movie. He wore the red one piece full long underwear. 

Also mean to dogs and likes Asian women.

But he's also clearly referred to as "Grama" in the movie, not "Grandma."

• Thanks 1

Doubled down on this this week by refusing to get his daughter lunch after her soccer game because she played badly, with more “this was my whole Saturday!” justification. Wow. 

5 minutes ago, thecatch said:

Doubled down on this this week by refusing to get his daughter lunch after her soccer game because she played badly, with more “this was my whole Saturday!” justification. Wow. 

Yea man I don’t know the guy or his family but it doesn’t seem like he should have had kids. That was cringe-worthy. I think Sal just stayed quiet the whole time. 

7 minutes ago, thecatch said:

Cousin Sal: "I think my 13 year old son is having sex with the Guatemalan maid."  :lmao: 

Edited by facook
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, thecatch said:

1 minute ago, Capella said:

Yea man I don’t know the guy or his family but it doesn’t seem like he should have had kids. That was cringe-worthy. I think Sal just stayed quiet the whole time. 

He also said he didn't go to her game the next day and she came up to him after and told him he'd have been so happy with her because she ran around and tried really hard.  And he was like "whatever."  It's gotta be at least partly shtick.  No one can be that horrible and be proud of it.  At least Sal admits they are terrible fathers.

48 minutes ago, thecatch said:

Good god

3 hours ago, Good Posting Judge said:

Also doesn't wear a seatbelt, apparently? What on Earth.

That whole thing was wow. 

30 minutes ago, pantherclub said:

I thought the one he did with Matt Damon was really good and really revealing about the actor.

Did he just read off movies from his imdb page like with charlize theron?

17 hours ago, Capella said:

He is doing this as an entertainment platform.  I am sure it is built up to be worse than it is for the show. 

1 hour ago, Gally said:

He is doing this as an entertainment platform.  I am sure it is built up to be worse than it is for the show. 

it's one thing if someone else is calling out him as a bad parent, but if he's the one offering up the story, I don't find this offensive. I only feel bad for his kids that may get some blowback at school. 

My daughter isn't even 2 years old yet. Sign me up for literally any situation that precedes her being willing to go to a public place with me for a meal when she's 13. I won't care if her hunger is driven from the adrenaline that comes from murdering every dog on our block, I'll still be taking her and will thank my lucky stars when doing so.

I posted this in the NBA thread, but it probably belongs here. Plus, the FFA needs way more Rirruto.

Anyone not watching the Ringer live watch is doing life all wrong. I'm not sure any of these dudes have ever made a basket on a regulation hoop. Joe House is a 50 year old guy in a Gilligan hat. Oooooooof.

Edit: I expected Julie Litman to be way more attractive than she is. I don't know who the black guy next to Simmons is, but he's the only one I don't want to punch.

• Love 1

I've never seen so many skinny jeans as I do right now. I'm the same age as these people. What are they wearing?

Edited by Rirruto
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rirruto said:

I've never seen so many skinny jeans as I do right now. I'm the same age as these people. What are they wearing?

Why would you watch that shi.....crap?  Besides the political angle (not anger), it's Simmons and maybe 1 other "entertaining" guy plus a dozen effing annoying hipsters.  Waste of oxygen.

Edited by facook
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, facook said:

Why would you watch that shi.....crap?  Besides the political angle (not anger), it's Simmons and maybe 1 other "entertaining" guy plus a dozen effing annoying hipsters.  Waste of oxygen.

I honestly think Simmons has done a pretty good job of building a group of people who don't know what the #### they're talking about, but can be sort of interesting.

I made a post about how the Titus/Tate college bball podcast was awful, but it's grown on me a lot. Plus, Simmons is able to bring in Russillo, Lombardi, and Cousin Sal, so he's starting to get real talent. Remarkably, the NBA is 90% of his content, and he's so far failed to bring in a competent NBA voice. I'm probably the biggest Simmons fan in this thread, and I love the NBA, and I listen to probably 10 hours of podcasts a week, but "Verno" (whoever the #### that is) ruins the NBA pod for me.

That's a long and rambling way of saying that Simmons has built a group of people who are like reading an FFA thread or listening to my buddies talk about the NBA. I'm a 30 something, graying, fattening, balding white dude and I know waaaaaaaaaay more about the NBA than the Ringer staff, my buddies, and the FFA, but that doesn't mean that each of those groups can't be funny or entertaining to me.

But Simmons was the best dressed guy on that feed. House dressed like a child toucher and everyone else dressed like someone who was 35 who was trying really hard to be 19. Except the black dude next to Simmons who I still don't know, but was the star.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rirruto said:

Plus, Simmons is able to bring in Russillo, Lombardi, and Cousin Sal, so he's starting to get real talent.

Cousin Sal is entertaining at times, but real talent?  :lmao:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rirruto said:

I honestly think Simmons has done a pretty good job of building a group of people who don't know what the #### they're talking about, but can be sort of interesting.

I made a post about how the Titus/Tate college bball podcast was awful, but it's grown on me a lot. Plus, Simmons is able to bring in Russillo, Lombardi, and Cousin Sal, so he's starting to get real talent. Remarkably, the NBA is 90% of his content, and he's so far failed to bring in a competent NBA voice. I'm probably the biggest Simmons fan in this thread, and I love the NBA, and I listen to probably 10 hours of podcasts a week, but "Verno" (whoever the #### that is) ruins the NBA pod for me.

That's a long and rambling way of saying that Simmons has built a group of people who are like reading an FFA thread or listening to my buddies talk about the NBA. I'm a 30 something, graying, fattening, balding white dude and I know waaaaaaaaaay more about the NBA than the Ringer staff, my buddies, and the FFA, but that doesn't mean that each of those groups can't be funny or entertaining to me.

But Simmons was the best dressed guy on that feed. House dressed like a child toucher and everyone else dressed like someone who was 35 who was trying really hard to be 19. Except the black dude next to Simmons who I still don't know, but was the star.

I agree about the lack of NBA talent, although give me Chris Vernon over 15 year old O’Connor any day of the week. A big part of Grantland’s appeal, at least for me, was Lowe, and there’s no reasonable facsimile of him at the Ringer. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, kupcho1 said:

Cousin Sal is entertaining at times, but real talent?  :lmao:

Sure he’s talented. He’s an extremely funny guy. 

The Vernon and KOC show is listenable but barely. I was surprised to hear on one of his 1000 nba podcasts that Haralabob is now working for the Mavs. Pretty cool although bad for podcast as that guy had good stuff I thought. 

Sal’s reaction to Bill’s parent corner this week :lmao: :lmao: 

if haven’t heard he took his kid to see Migos this week. He instagrammed him singing the chorus “going to knock that ##### (?) out like fight night” :lmao: 

Sal under his breath: Jesus Christ 

Edited by Capella
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, Capella said:

Sal’s reaction to Bill’s parent corner this week :lmao: :lmao: 

if haven’t heard he took his kid to see Migos this week. He instagrammed him singing the chorus “going to knock that ##### (?) out like fight night” :lmao: 

Sal under his breath: Jesus Christ 

Will Simmons be mortified or will he be  elated when his kid ends up on TMZ for some ridiculous incident at some point?

1 hour ago, GroveDiesel said:

Will Simmons be mortified or will he be  elated when his kid ends up on TMZ for some ridiculous incident at some point?

I think Simmons already agreed this is happening

Cousin Sal having to sit and be the sounding board for Simmons' 30 minute Sawx victory lap was pretty sad.

2 hours ago, facook said:

Cousin Sal having to sit and be the sounding board for Simmons' 30 minute Sawx victory lap was pretty sad.

When the Cowboys win the Super Bowl Bill will reciprocate.  Or fire The Clapper, whichever comes first.

I can't be the only one fast forwarding through Lombardi's podcast to get to the Dantasy segment, can I? :bag:

Lombardi is just terrible.  And sidekick Tate isn't helping the situation.  (BTW, if you hate your liver, try drinking every time Tate says "absolutely" during a podcast.  Grating.  "Absolutely" his go-to word whenever he's clearly not paying attention to whatever Lombardi is droning on about, and thinking about what he wants to say next.)

Cousin Sal ribbing Simmons about spending 15 minutes on the Jimmy Butler trade was great.  Each time it came up through the podcast (like 3 times randomly it seemed) Sal would say "Let's talk about that for 15 minutes."  Love Sal.

• Like 4

I finally dipped in to Rewatchables, and it's fantastic.

I skip Lombardi also, and even Dantasy (no dynasty or IDP content).  Kevin Clark drives me nuts because hes always talking over/shouting down Mays in ways that really bug me, but I still listen because Mays is the best.

You guys have to listen to the most recent pod with Gladwell. He has the most ludicrous take about Nigeria having the best basketball talent, and it goes from there. Truly indescribable

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rick James said:

You guys have to listen to the most recent pod with Gladwell. He has the most ludicrous take about Nigeria having the best basketball talent, and it goes from there. Truly indescribable

You mean you didn't know Steve Nash was Nigerian?

I was actually laughing out loud at him as he tried to stretch and justify his take.

Listening to the Rewatchables earlier.  First, he pronounced John Grisham's last name "Grissom" and took some heat from Fennessey and Ryan for it.  The next gaffe, though, went unnoticed.  He was talking about how when "The Firm" was released, the top 6 spots on the NY Times Best Sellers list were split evenly between Grisham and Michael Crichton, which he pronounced "Michael Creighton."

Why is that funny?  His wife's maiden name (and Nephew Kyle's, who was sitting a few feet away, last name)?  Yep.  Crichton.