What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Bill Simmons Podcast (1 Viewer)

I thought this post was about a Rewatchables episode about "The Warriors" which would be amazing
He mentioned at the very end of the episode (past the point where he thanks the other hosts and I usually cut it off) that the next few weeks will bring episodes on "Con-Air" and "Tombstone" and that in 2019, there will be an episode every week with no breaks/hiatus.  They're going to have to do 52 movies nest year, so I wouldn't be shocked to see "The Warriors" pop up at some point.  I know they were only doing 1990-present at one point, but they broke format with "All the President's Men" and will probably dump that restriction at some point.

He mentioned at the very end of the episode (past the point where he thanks the other hosts and I usually cut it off) that the next few weeks will bring episodes on "Con-Air" and "Tombstone" and that in 2019, there will be an episode every week with no breaks/hiatus.  They're going to have to do 52 movies nest year, so I wouldn't be shocked to see "The Warriors" pop up at some point.  I know they were only doing 1990-present at one point, but they broke format with "All the President's Men" and will probably dump that restriction at some point.
Seems like a more apt title for this podcast would be "Movies."

I am pretty gay for the Warriors and even I don't have any interest in an interview with Kevin Durant.
I didn’t listen to any of the prior ones, and made it about ten minutes into this one. Does KD’s manager always chime in and interrupt KD when he’s answering questions?  It was absurd. 

Good Posting Judge said:
I am pretty gay for the Warriors and even I don't have any interest in an interview with Kevin Durant.
How about a 4th or 5th one?  At this point it's just Bill stroking his own...um...ego while jock sniffing one of the 2 or 3 current athletes who will spend time with him.  What a doosh.

How about a 4th or 5th one?  At this point it's just Bill stroking his own...um...ego while jock sniffing one of the 2 or 3 current athletes who will spend time with him.  What a doosh.
I think I only listened to one. He's objectively a bad interviewer. The Charlize Theron one was hilarious, where he just went through her imdb page and read off movies she was in, and then she commented on them? Yikes.

i've been continually amazed that they have not yet done con-air. looking forward to it.

If only we were about to hit a 2 week period when podcasters beat one topic to within an inch of its life...
I would expect 24 minutes discussing the Super Bowl with Sal, 2 different podcasts focusing on the NBA, and 2 podcasts featuring celebs no one cares to hear from.

So the guy who constantly encourages making value bets, even if knows the actual chances of hitting are low ("if we play out the season 20 times, player X will be MVP at least once") believes the odds on Harden scoring 82+ points in the next few weeks should be +220. And the rationale was "Wilt did it once proving it could be done".

I wish I owned a book.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, I have an idea.  I think NBA teams need to add someone new every season to motivate the rest of the guys.  Don't worry, this is the last time I'll mention it.

Insisting a girl you're on a date with eat clam chowder when she says she has a shellfish allergy has to be shtick, right?
i guess I'll use spoilers in case any psychopaths actually care about his "secret guest" from Friday's pod, but:

his mom was the secret guest and said that when she used to drive him to school, he had to listen to Stern and read USA Today and on the way home had to listen to Mike and the Mad Dog and that he would not let her talk the entire time.  Also said that in first grade he read the sports page every morning and initially brought it school and "would not let" the class start until he had finished reading it.  :shrug:

Hes a guy that worked for Grantland.   The weird part is I haven't seen anything from Simmons about Rafe in a negative light, he even promoted his book in 2017.  So I'm confused, but I dont really pay attention to any of this

https://twitter.com/billsimmons/status/861952878809710592

Guessing bad blood for soemthing
Simmons put all his Grantland employees’ livelihoods at risk by getting in a petty feud with Goodell against his bosses wishes, and then Skipper yanked those people around for awhile by initially saying the site would continue but then closing it a couple months later. No surprise that some of those folks would be upset. 

Hmmm. Mike and the Mad Dog did not start their show until the summer of 1989. Simmons would have been 20 years old at a minimum. :lol:
curious.  he would have been just under 20 at that time.  Maybe just Francesa alone?  She was talking about high school, I think.  Maybe she is mixing things up.

curious.  he would have been just under 20 at that time.  Maybe just Francesa alone?  She was talking about high school, I think.  Maybe she is mixing things up.
For the millionth time...only child syndrome. Of course it was accurate, he was just acting like an 8 year old while being a college aged kid.

Hes a guy that worked for Grantland.   The weird part is I haven't seen anything from Simmons about Rafe in a negative light, he even promoted his book in 2017.  So I'm confused, but I dont really pay attention to any of this

https://twitter.com/billsimmons/status/861952878809710592

Guessing bad blood for soemthing
Simmons put all his Grantland employees’ livelihoods at risk by getting in a petty feud with Goodell against his bosses wishes, and then Skipper yanked those people around for awhile by initially saying the site would continue but then closing it a couple months later. No surprise that some of those folks would be upset. 
Rafe is also upset because Simmons did an interview last year where he basically said that he had questions about the Grantland staff in the first year, and that the site didn't start firing on all cylinders until year 3. (Rafe was there from the beginning.)

For the millionth time...only child syndrome. Of course it was accurate, he was just acting like an 8 year old while being a college aged kid.
i'm sure the story is fundamentally true.  i just wonder if the specific details were right.  maybe he was listening to something else on the HS car rides home and being a tyrant when listening to Mike and Dog on later car trips.

They are putting (some) Rewatchables on premium only app, and a buggy app at that.  I like the Rewatchables, but I wouldn't pay more than 24 cents for an episode.  We'll see how long this lasts. 
Agree.  I really like that pod as well but definitely won't pay for it.  I think it was a big mistake to move there but my guess is they are just trying it for these 1999 movies and then realize it wasn't worth it and it will come back to it's usual spot.

Capella said:
There are like 4 billion podcasts out there right now. How would anybody ever be persuaded to pay for one?
Kids podcasts are basically a cartel now and moving to pinna and similar. :shrug:

Maybe it's because I'm not a big NBA fan but I find them incredibly boring. Or maybe it's because they try and go for two hours at a time.
I agree, there is something just lame and boring about a podcast fixated on NBA.  It doesnt resonate with me, which is funny because I could listen to people talk about the NFL all day.

Capella said:
There are like 4 billion podcasts out there right now. How would anybody ever be persuaded to pay for one?
Only a matter of time. The ad market for most podcasts isn't great, so I expect the number of podcasts to start declining in the future. 

It's kind of unfortunate that the "free" content model supported by ad avenue has been so dominant. Over time it tends to lead to a bunch of garbage amateur content and good content not being supported as much as it should IMO.

I mean, they are explicitly doing an NBA podcast...
Probably 90% of his podcasts by minute count, excluding celebrity interviews, is NBA content. 

I'm not sure why he chooses to dedicate literally hours of content over a couple months to his semi-weekly updated All NBA picks down to the 3rd team but that's why there's a fast forward button.

Agree.  I really like that pod as well but definitely won't pay for it.  I think it was a big mistake to move there but my guess is they are just trying it for these 1999 movies and then realize it wasn't worth it and it will come back to it's usual spot.
I am sure the risk is all on Luminary's end, and that they paid a pretty decent amount to get this show as an exclusive.

Apparently they have a ton of cash but I wouldn't be surprised if Luminary doesn't make it - a number of providers have already pulled their content. 

https://www.niemanlab.org/2019/04/what-does-luminarys-very-bad-week-tell-us-about-podcasters-collective-power/

Man listening to him and House discuss GoT is a mind-bending experience. Might be the worst recorded conversation I’ve ever heard. Neither one of them know what’s going on, getting names and locations wrong, horrible. 

I've been avoiding much of his NBA content, just way too much for me. But after hearing the semi-weekly breakdown of his All NBA picks by team I felt like I needed to hear the final result.

It was well worth it. To hear him spend 20 minutes defending his decision to leave LeBron off even 3rd team, only to say at the very end of the segment "you know, I really think I should've ignored my playoff requirement to vote for Beal" was the highest of comedy.

Bills knowledge (or lackthereof) about Las Vegas is breathtakingly stupid.  On the Hangover rewatchable he acts like a savant about Vegas but holy hell he comes across as a moron.

Some gems:

Vegas was all dudes in the 90's

Vegas almost went under in 2009

Vegas was still an underground thing in the 90's?

There werent bachorlette parties until the 2000's

Dude has lost his marbles

Users who are viewing this thread